PDA

View Full Version : Retro hair accessories and styling tools

Soniasonia
January 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
What accessories and styling tools did you use in the 80s/90s? What hair styles did you do that you thought was so cool back then?
Remember this one? Ahhh what was I thinking!:confused:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/bella_vampira/product_topsytail1.jpg

Fencai
January 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
LOL! Great thread! for me it was the old Banana Clips (the long semi-curved clips that conformed to the back of your head and made your hair look like a horse's mane

Soniasonia
January 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
LOL! Great thread! for me it was the old Banana Clips (the long semi-curved clips that conformed to the back of your head and made your hair look like a horse's mane
Thanks! Whoa I remember those! Used those too >_<

Gumball
January 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
What accessories and styling tools did you use in the 80s/90s? What hair styles did you do that you thought was so cool back then?
Remember this one? Ahhh what was I thinking!:confused:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/bella_vampira/product_topsytail1.jpg

I still use that! I did yesterday in fact. It's my go-to tool when I want to do a Victorian. :disco: I got a compliment, too, so score one for me! I also think flipped ponytails are a little more of a pain without my good ol' topsy tail. :p

I think it's less about what tool or accessory you use and more about how you use it. If you used it to do something you looked back on and frowned upon after the fact well there you have it, but if you use it for something you still like then it's all good. :eek:

Roseate
January 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Lol! I used those mostly to pretend I was Lt. LaForge from Star Trek TNG!:p

HairyCarrie
January 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I just bought a topsy tail knock-off from Claire's last month. I love it too and can't wait to use it more when my hair gets longer. I also loved the banana clips and bought 2 recently to play with. However those are so cheaply made both of them broke right away. I really liked the look of that long mane they create.

Eboshi
January 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hey Now ! The 80's and 90's was just a little while ago.

Retro ? I guess I'm a fossil now :wail:

Magdalene
January 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I could never stand the banana clips- even when my hair was shorter the weight caused the clip to dig into my skull...

Xandergrammy
January 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I loved my banana clips. I wish I could find one that could handle the hair I have now.

LaurelSpring
January 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I also love my topsy tail. I didnt see them for a long time and was worried I'd lose mine. I also used a hairdini until the material rotted off. I recently got the newer version but I just dont like it like the old one :( I was thinking about putting it on swap.

Xandergrammy
January 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I recently got the newer version but I just dont like it like the old one :( I was thinking about putting it on swap.

Sorry for the hijack, but...
I think I might have an older version that I never used because I could never figure it out. Maybe you have something to swap for it? Let me know if you're interested and I'll take a picture of it!

Themyst
January 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I remember having the big, purple Goody comb sticking out of the back pocket of my Gloria Vanderbuilt jeans!

Soniasonia
January 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I also love my topsy tail. I didnt see them for a long time and was worried I'd lose mine. I also used a hairdini until the material rotted off. I recently got the newer version but I just dont like it like the old one :( I was thinking about putting it on swap.
You could make your own topsy tail. I had to cause my hair is too thick for the store bought one and it broke. Made it with a wire hanger:)

Coriander
January 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I still have two banana clips in the glove compartment of my truck lol. They still do the same thing they did in the 80's... slide right down and dig into the nape of my neck. I don't know why I still keep them.

I don't have these anymore but remember the old school cheap plastic hair clips with the BIG "handles" that were supposed to stick out?

HUGE bows!!!

Tornerose
January 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
what about the crmping irons? oooh they were the bomb!

Alia
January 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Lol! I used those mostly to pretend I was Lt. LaForge from Star Trek TNG!:p
And I thought I was the only one...:laugh: