PDA

View Full Version : Food for Hair Growth

Christina
January 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I got to thinking about "hair food" last night when I was making a salad. I put things into it that would be good for my hair: spinach, chicken breast, boiled egg, walnuts, olive oil...
So i wonder - does anyone have any favorite foods or even certain meals that they feel are both delicious and good for hair health?

Tami86
January 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Eggs for breakfast every day and nuts! And oil on my hair hehehe

Xepher
January 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I second the nuts comment! Or anything with good oils in it, like olive, coconut, etc :)

By the way, your salad sounds like it must have been delicious! I may have to go make myself one...

EDIT: How could I forget?! Salmon too, of course! I always feel good after a meal of salmon and veggies.

LaurelSpring
January 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Someone recently told me seaweed was good for it. I do happen to like seaweed :eek:

Sissy
January 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
cucumbers, nuts, salmon, olive oil, spinach and other ruffage as well I'm sure... H2O as well.

JamieLeigh
January 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Whatever you do eat, make sure you're getting plenty of water!!! :p

rockstarmommy
January 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
qwertyuiop

Elphie
January 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Oodles of sunflower seeds!

eaglefeather71
January 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Most mornings I have a smoothie that contains Frozen Raspberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries, Purple Carrot Juice, Whole Greek Yogurt, Honey or Stevia, Farm Fresh Raw Egg, Coconut Oil and sometimes a green food supplement if I know I haven't eaten enough greens. I think it's not only good for my body but also my hair.

I just whip it up in my Magic Bullet and off to work I go!

eaglefeather71
January 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Whatever you do eat, make sure you're getting plenty of water!!! :p This is the hardest thing ever! I'd say I get enough water about half the time.

Debra83
January 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM
liver would be great for the hair - blech! Too bad not so good for my taste buds.

Hypnotica
January 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I just whip it up in my Magic Bullet and off to work I go!

I WANT a Magic Bullet....!

aisling
January 8th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I WANT a Magic Bullet....!

Ellos (http://www.ellos.se/DetailPages/DetailPage.aspx?categoryid=34419&productId=168533&SellingFlag=SearchText&SearchBackLink=) to the rescue :)

On topic, what's healthy for your body is usually also healthy for your hair. A well balanced diet with good proteins and fats and enough vitamins will make your hair happy.

jojo
January 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Sardines and marmite are my 2 hair foods which I eat every day, not together though you understand!

Christina
January 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, water is hard for me, too. I find myself drinking a lot of green and herbal teas so that there is some taste to the water. Or sometimes just some lemon juice helps.
I'm thinking of making a 'super salad' my usual daily lunch. Between the spinach, egg, chicken, veggies, olive oil, and maybe some nuts, i should be getting lots of protein, good fats, and vitamins.
Grow hair grow! :)

beehives
January 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I add nut butters, spinach and flax seeds to my morning smoothies and make sure I get plenty of protein (beans, tofu, nuts, etc.) each day. Whole grains are also a big part of my diet and I love silica-rich cucumbers.
Additionally, I take a multivitamin and B12 supplement every day. Oh, and usually biotin, but I'm fresh out at the moment, so I'll try to double up on the nuts until I pick up some more.

Flaxen
January 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Chocolate! Every day. (Well, somebody had to say it) :frog:

SimplyLonghair
January 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Yummmmm Dark chocolate!

rockstarmommy
January 8th, 2009, 01:51 PM
qwertyuiop

onelife
January 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I used to have problems getting enough water too, especially being a student. What I do is fill up my Nalgene (it holds 24oz, or 3 glasses of water) and drink at least one per class. I also drink a glass of water with each meal. By doing that, I get at least 8 glasses of water per day =)

<She>
January 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Well, dark chocolate has antioxidants, right? I will have to agree that chocolate is good for all things. :heartbeat

I think dark chocolate has good amounts of copper, which is important for hair growth and maintaining the pigment in the hair (meaning you could postpone the graying of hairs).

Everything balanced and in moderation, fresh and cooked (beta-carotene has to be cooked to be optimally absorbed), makes a healthy diet for the whole organism, including hair:)

Gothic Lolita
May 2nd, 2009, 01:27 AM
I've never done a protein treatment for my hair, because I'm not sure if my hair needs it. According to the pulling-a-shed-hair test it needs it, but it feels healthy. And I don't even know a recipe for a treatment.

Now I wonder if eating food that it rich in protein will also give your hair more protein. Maybe more slowly, but would you get an effect from it? My grandmother once told me that eating eggs (not too much, 1-2 a week) would give shine, but my hair is shiney, so I can't verify this.

Has anyone noticed difference in hair when eating more protein or wouldn't it effect the hair at all? (Probably not the length, how would the length get the protein, but if I'm mistaken on this, feel free to correct me!)

Rapunzal2Be
May 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM
Eating a protein rich diet will affect your new growth (in a good way!) but I can't see how it would have any effect on the hair that you have already grown.

Madame J
May 2nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
I do know that the one time that I had problems with hair loss and thinning was in high school when I was a restrictive vegetarian. I don't think it was specifically a protein deficiency, but a lack of nutrients in particular. If you have a good diet to begin with, then I don't think adding more protein will do much of anything. It's possible that when your grandmother heard that tip, it was a time when not everyone got proper nutrition to begin with, so eating a couple eggs per week would greatly increase the percentage of protein in the diet.

chotee
May 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
I had hair loss and thinning when i restricted my diet to vegetarian food even though it had good protein sources like nuts, lentils, hamus etc...This was before joining LHC in 2005...The minute i introduced my fish, eggs(i eat atleast 3 eggs in a week), meat in a balanced way, i found my thick hair growing back again...I don't know, maybe i was not a good candidate for vegetarian food. So, every person's need for protein is different. For some people it could be cheese, milk, yogurt and yet others would thrive better on meat, fish, eggs. So find which protein suits u the best and also what ur family in general ate before...like coastal, cold place etc...which will give u an idea...

liseling
May 2nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
My sis was a lazy vegetarian in High School up till college (lazy meaning she didnt make sure she had a balanced diet with vegetable sources of protein - she just ate whatever she wanted, including junk, but did not eat meat). Finally after about 6 years of this she went to the doctor because her hair was thinning and he told her to eat more protein. She gave up being a vegi and her hair is lovely and thick now.

Rosepatrice
May 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Years ago when I was eating a diet with both meat and cheese, my hair was very brittle and very sparse.

That was about 10 years ago. Then, I went vegetarian. My hair bascially stayed the same, with very slow growth, and lots of shedding.

About 6 years ago, I began a raw food vegan diet. Initially, I had lots of shedding as my body was detoxifying, then many new hairs started growing out and they were light blonde as I had as a child and the strands were thicker.

Now, today, after bascially maintaining a raw food diet on and off for 6 years, I can say my hair feels, looks and behaves most definetely lots better then it did being a vegetarian , ect.
I can only vouch for me and what worked for me, but I can truly say my hair is more thicker now then 10 years ago.

sandigirl
May 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I eat TERRIBLY. WAY too much carbohydrates (potatoes, pastas, sugar...) and I have the most amazing hair. Seriously. I think it's more genetic than anything else. That and I do a lot of brushing.

hyettf16
June 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
What food do you eat specifically to help your hair growth or condition? I've heard that protein is good.

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I eat a lot of marmite which is full of vitamin b and others dunno if it helps my hair or not but it tastes good!

Mairéad
June 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I just eat a healthy balanced diet for life in general.

Annibelle
June 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Foods with omega 3 are supposed to be good... coconut, avocado, etc. It seems that any food you might put on your hair would be good to eat, though you'd probably have to eat an unhealthy amount of it to really affect your hair.

cuddledumplin
June 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I eat a lot of marmite which is full of vitamin b and others dunno if it helps my hair or not but it tastes good!

Even if it would help my hair, it just tastes so horrid. As they say, it's definately a love it or hate it product.

Othala
June 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Beef, chicken, lamb, seafood, eggs....I eat plenty of all these to build that hair!

HairFaerie
June 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have been adding 100&#37; pure aloe vera gel to my water lately. It takes a little bit to get used to the taste but it's pretty good after you do. Supposedly it's very good for you all the way around, including healthy hair.

ange1ito
June 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I have included eggs in my diet for the protein recently, as I rarely eat meat or fish, to help my hair.

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Even if it would help my hair, it just tastes so horrid. As they say, it's definately a love it or hate it product.

ha ha! my husband says its the most disgusting thing invented, I have it everyday! did you know its been banned in Denmark as there are too many vitamins in it? I shall not be going if I can't have my marmite!:)

ifthemoonsmiled
June 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'd never heard of marmite before reading this thread! I guess they don't have it in the US...now I'm perversely curious.

As to food, I usually figure that stuff that's good for my skin & overall health will also benefit my hair. Your body works as a whole, so anything that's good for one part of it will be good for others. I eat lots of protein, veggies, and wholegrains...those are all supposed to be good for hair, according to what I've read, and they are good for me anyway. I just started taking a biotin supplement, too. I couldn't say how well that one works yet.

christine1989
June 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM
ha ha! my husband says its the most disgusting thing invented, I have it everyday! did you know its been banned in Denmark as there are too many vitamins in it? I shall not be going if I can't have my marmite!:)

Marmite? Is that the same as Vegemite?

I eat plenty of mangos because they have plenty of B vitamins that are good for hair (plus they're delicious!). I also eat a ton of coconut. I figure, if it is good to put on your hair then it must be beneficial to eat too.

JuliaDancer
June 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'd never heard of marmite before reading this thread! I guess they don't have it in the US...now I'm perversely curious.

As to food, I usually figure that stuff that's good for my skin & overall health will also benefit my hair. Your body works as a whole, so anything that's good for one part of it will be good for others. I eat lots of protein, veggies, and wholegrains...those are all supposed to be good for hair, according to what I've read, and they are good for me anyway. I just started taking a biotin supplement, too. I couldn't say how well that one works yet.

They do have it in the US, but only in specialty stores. Marmite is basically the same as Vegemite, I think, which is popular in Australia. There's an English store and an Australian store I can think of here in NY that sell them.

JuliaDancer
June 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Also, it's kind of like caviar. It's pretty salty, if I remember right. It's fermented yeast spread.

Qwackie
June 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Miso soup!
Japanese tofu and seaweed soup. Tastes nice, and has tons of protein, but a lot of salt as well.

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 08:36 PM
They do have it in the US, but only in specialty stores. Marmite is basically the same as Vegemite, I think, which is popular in Australia. There's an English store and an Australian store I can think of here in NY that sell them.

They are similar but don't taste quite the same! I have had marmite before, and promite which is another one. I quite liked promite but haven't had it in ages! Although, we always have a jar of Vegemite... I guess it's an Australian thing ;)

katsrevenge
June 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Lots of turkey! And veggies... and a vitamin each day... and fruits..

I have smelled that Vegemite stuff. That was enough for me! Normally, I'll try anything once, but I was just not brave enough to eat that.

hs_atreides
June 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I agree about the whole body being affected by diet...but I have been eating more protein in general and a ton of avocadoes since beginning the hair growth. I do notice that everything suffers when I eat too much junk-food-stuff.

PraiseCheeses
June 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM
BF told me last night: "Men have interesting relationships between the food they eat and their beards."
"What do you mean?" I asked, thinking he'd noticed some sort of correlation between beards and what they order in restaurants, or men who "save some for later."
"Well... I shave every day. If I eat some protein and green vegetables, I have stubble by the end of the night. But if I just eat carbs, it doesn't grow back until the next day."

Hmmm.... guess I'll be eating a lot of meat and green veggies! It was interesting, considering he doesn't care about hair at all - but I guess that's the best way to monitor growth!

Fufu
June 5th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Veggies and salmon :)

ChloeDharma
June 6th, 2011, 12:37 AM
BF told me last night: "Men have interesting relationships between the food they eat and their beards."
"What do you mean?" I asked, thinking he'd noticed some sort of correlation between beards and what they order in restaurants, or men who "save some for later."
"Well... I shave every day. If I eat some protein and green vegetables, I have stubble by the end of the night. But if I just eat carbs, it doesn't grow back until the next day."

Hmmm.... guess I'll be eating a lot of meat and green veggies! It was interesting, considering he doesn't care about hair at all - but I guess that's the best way to monitor growth!

Now that is interesting.

I'm amazed marmite has been banned in Denmark for being too nutrient dense! Personally i love marmite but fortget it's in my cupboard most of the time. On toast with peanut butter is lovely too.

For hair growth as has been mentioned, a general healthy diet is your best bet.....i'd also avoid low fat diets as a good amount of essential fatty acids (key word "essential" ;)) are needed for among other things....good skin and hair. Coconut, avocado, nuts, seeds (pumpkin and hemp seed oils are particularly good), omega 3's from fish oils.....some vegetable sources like flax seed. Seaweed is a mineral rich good hair food. Other than that, rule of thumb....wholefoods, lots of fruit and veg, sounds familiar lol

free_hug
June 6th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Any food you would put in your hair will help a lot more, if you eat it. Believe me, your hair will absorb them a lot better through the roots :) That includes olive oil, avocados, egg yolks, and all the rest.

Also:
- protein - yeah, I guess, although an average adult doesnt even necessarily need a particularly big amont.
- vitamin Bs, including biotin - liver of land animals, egg yolk, yeast... beer? ;)
- "cucumber for the silica", I saw it here many times

AND yes, Mariead is as right as right can be: eat generally healthy for a good life. Good life often means good hair too :)

KittyLost
June 6th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Breakfast consists of eggs and a banana. I eat a lot of chicken and I try to get some fish in once a week even if it is just homemade fishfingers as I'm not awfully keen on them. I'm pretty good with vegetables too.

I do take a hair, skin and nails vitamin. It helps keep my skin clear.

Fethenwen
June 6th, 2011, 01:36 AM
One word: nettle.

It really helps to make hair grow fast and keeps it shiny. I haven't had nettles for many months this spring because I ran out of it!
But now I have picked lots of it and it is drying. I make a strong infusion from it which I drink almost daily.

bunzfan
June 6th, 2011, 01:41 AM
One word: nettle.

It really helps to make hair grow fast and keeps it shiny. I haven't had nettles for many months this spring because I ran out of it!
But now I have picked lots of it and it is drying. I make a strong infusion from it which I drink almost daily.

OOOh interesting would normal shop nettle tea have the same effect do you think?

Tuntenut
June 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I believe it's basically very important to get all the nutrients you need in copious amounts. If you have a deficiency of a vitamin or mineral, your body will spend whatever little amount you have on the vital processes. Believe it or not, the body doesn't consider the hair a vital organ, so if there's a shortage of anything, the hair ain't getting any.

I personally noticed a very big growth spurt when I cut out gluten and lactose from my diet and make sure to eat protein 4-6 times a day. I'm not allergic to gluten and lactose as such, but my body just seems to be doing infinitely better without it. Well, as long as their isn't any cheese around... :(

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Soya!!!! Lots of protein in the stuff! I love eating young soy beans with coconut oil and celtic sea salt.... yummy :D

Nathanael
June 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I think hair need protein and B vitamins. So, I eat egg, fish, meat for the protein (like everyone) and cereals for the B vitamins.

OneCurlyMan
June 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If you are going solely by the food term, there is no magical food per se. However, there are certain foods with hair-friendly nutrients that are worth incorporating into one's diet.

I would have to say that oily fish is unbeatable, together with eggs and fruits & vegetables.

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Marmite? Is that the same as Vegemite?

I eat plenty of mangos because they have plenty of B vitamins that are good for hair (plus they're delicious!). I also eat a ton of coconut. I figure, if it is good to put on your hair then it must be beneficial to eat too.

Yes same thing, we have that here too but the marmite is more oooooooohhhhhh if you know what I mean:D

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Now that is interesting.

I'm amazed marmite has been banned in Denmark for being too nutrient dense! Personally i love marmite but fortget it's in my cupboard most of the time. On toast with peanut butter is lovely too.

For hair growth as has been mentioned, a general healthy diet is your best bet.....i'd also avoid low fat diets as a good amount of essential fatty acids (key word "essential" ;)) are needed for among other things....good skin and hair. Coconut, avocado, nuts, seeds (pumpkin and hemp seed oils are particularly good), omega 3's from fish oils.....some vegetable sources like flax seed. Seaweed is a mineral rich good hair food. Other than that, rule of thumb....wholefoods, lots of fruit and veg, sounds familiar lol

marmite with peanut butter lovely and with Bacon too! you got me hungry now!

beccababesx
June 7th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Nuts, cheese, eggs, milk, green leafy veg, red meat, oily fish, and lots of water :D

nobeltonya
June 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Indian food. Being married to an Indian definitely helps, as before I met him, I used to eat Chef Boyardee, mac 'n cheese and Big Macs. Now, I can't touch the stuff [although I wouldn't mind some good baked mac 'n cheese *licks lips*]. Rice, chapati [hand-made by me :D], dals [pulses, lentils], veggies, eggs, chicken, fish, goat [sometimes], etc. We also drink chai in the mornings. Cook with coconut [frozen, shredded], corn oil, ghee. It's an entirely different realm than the American food I was used to. But now I can't eat much else.

cuddledumplin
June 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM

My hubby loves it, and I hate it. I like Nutella, and he's not keen.

I heard about it being banned there, and I think it's weird. I don't see "too many vitamins" as a bad thing if you consume it in moderation.

Have you ever been to Burton on Trent? The whole town smells of Marmite.

<3OnHerSleeve
June 7th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Green Tea girl :) Eggs, Meat...

ksanka02
June 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
eggs! I love them!

owlathena
June 8th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I think beans and lentils are good hair foods. And making sure to get plenty of water and taking a multi just in case.

88Marisa
June 8th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I have had a lot of skin, hair and nail benefit since I started eating a significant amount of fruit every day (more than 5 servings per day) and lots of leafy greens like lettuce and spinach. All the vitamins and minerals are doing me good. :)

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
My hubby loves it, and I hate it. I like Nutella, and he's not keen.

I heard about it being banned there, and I think it's weird. I don't see "too many vitamins" as a bad thing if you consume it in moderation.

Have you ever been to Burton on Trent? The whole town smells of Marmite.

is that where they make it? id move there if it smells of marmite, i love nutella too straight from pot! x

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I think beans and lentils are good hair foods. And making sure to get plenty of water and taking a multi just in case.

aye very good for the hair but not good for the air :poot: if you get my drift:eyebrows:

cuddledumplin
June 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM
is that where they make it? id move there if it smells of marmite, i love nutella too straight from pot! x

Yeah, along with lots of beer. Nutella is amazing on loads of things.

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I heard that bananas are supposed to help...I want to eat a banana a day, but mostly because my body seems to love bananas. :p

Emmental
June 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I've increased my fruit intake recently and it seems to be helping. (I've done this in an attempt to cut back on refined sugars.)

Fufu
June 10th, 2011, 06:14 AM
My healthy food galore for my hair :)

- Green bean soup
- Barley Pearl drink (I take it hot like dessert)
- Japanese Green Tea or Chinese Pu Er Tea
- Fruits (Apple, Kiwi, Grapes) Occasionally banana and pear
- Salmon

Eolan
June 10th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I think I will start to eat a spoon of turmeric a day (not sure how I'll get it down, maybee in some yoghurt or something) as I have heard that taking that as a suppliment can prevent psoriasis outbreaks. I like turmeric in food, but straight up is another thing! But happy scalp = happy hair!

Emmental
June 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I think I will start to eat a spoon of turmeric a day (not sure how I'll get it down, maybee in some yoghurt or something) as I have heard that taking that as a suppliment can prevent psoriasis outbreaks. I like turmeric in food, but straight up is another thing! But happy scalp = happy hair!

It is a little more spendy, but you can buy it in capsule form. Or, you can buy capsules at a health food store and make your own capsules. Turmeric has amazing health benefits.

Eolan
June 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM
It is a little more spendy, but you can buy it in capsule form. Or, you can buy capsules at a health food store and make your own capsules. Turmeric has amazing health benefits.

I did not know that! It sounds great. Thank you for informing me.

MissCoco
June 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Brewer's yeast, bananas, avocados, walnuts, mangoes and grapefruits are definitely my hair foods. :)

Coconut milk/oil, olive oil, nut oils and fruit juice are the 'liquids' that nourish my hair.

umbrellabones
June 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I didn't have any specific foods. But now I do! Hehe I'm stealing some of these good ideas!

Kristamommyx3
June 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
What in the heck is a marmot? Lol it sounds like a small furry mammal!
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
I'm guessing it must be some sort of fish possibly, but nothing from around where I live I don't think. :p

DoubleCrowned
July 5th, 2011, 01:15 AM
What in the heck is a marmot? Lol it sounds like a small furry mammal!
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
I'm guessing it must be some sort of fish possibly, but nothing from around where I live I don't think. :p
Marmot IS a rodent--what a funny typo!

Marmite is common in England and Australia, being packaged in cute little jars like you would expect of jelly. People who love it offer it to foreign guests as if it is food for the gods, coaxing them to glob some of the on a piece of toast and chow down. Their eyes shine as they tell how delicious it is and that they eat it for breakfast or on a peanut butter sandwich. However, Americans who are accustomed to a breakfast of Pop Tarts or who associate peanut butter with jelly are in for a jolt when they bite into the unbelievably salty, brown, yeasty paste. The only food I can think of that we in the USA can compare it to is brewer's yeast--but Marmite is more concentrated, and has a ton of salt. Perhaps brewer's yeast mixed with undiluted miso paste would compare in taste.

These Marmite lovers have done it again, though, did you notice? The glow usually in their voices when speaking of it has come through in written form. Now, in spite of my first unforgettable taste of it (and my ensuing struggle to keep a poker face so as not to disappoint my hosts), I am ready to go to the speciality market to stock up on marmite...um,well, marmite and peanut butter…

kitcatsmeow
July 5th, 2011, 06:53 AM

What is marmite? And how can something be banned for TOO many vitamins? I thought unused vitamins were just flushed from the body and useless? :poot:

RitaCeleste
July 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM
This summer I have ate a little too much of everything. My hair and skin does better when I eat more fats and proteins and leave off refined carbs. I can still eat oats and whole grains in small amounts. But really, refined carbs just make me eat more and gain more weight. I try to shop the edges of the store and buy food that is less processed. Summer is the season where I will eat a chip or make a brownie though. It'll take til Christmas to get back into my pants.

mrs_coffee
July 5th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I generally just avoid processed food. Specific foods I eat regularly that might help my hair: Avocado, coconut oil, peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, eggs.

Marmite, to me, tastes like what I imagine chewing on a beef bouillon cube would taste like. It's not bad in small doses. I couldn't eat a lot of it though.

MissPetite2010
January 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Does anyone have a certain regimen, besides vitamins, that has helped in hair growth? I know certain foods, like fish, eggs, nuts, plenty of protein, chicken, etc. I thought this would be an interesting topic. Thanks in advance... :)

Selkie-
January 16th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I don't know if my 'regime' will work as I've only just been doing it all-out for a month but I am trying to eat more protein (eggs, fish) and just all round healthier - lots of salad and fresh fruit. A ton of avocados too - but that's not really for my hair! :)

I am also taking Perfectil hair, skin and nails supplement and have noticed a major difference in my nail growth, so hoping that translates to my hair eventually as well!

hanne jensen
January 16th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Eat healthy food. Lean meats, high fiber carbs, fruits, veggies. Peanutbutter is a wonder food for hair. Get your beauty sleep. Eggs are fantastic food for hair. I don't think that there's a specific "miracle" food for hair. A healthy diet goes a long way.

RegretsHerCut
January 16th, 2014, 03:29 AM
You guys forgot the most important thing !! WATER :)
Drink plenty of water (I drink about 2 L/day) even if you don't feel thirsty. Thirst is the first sign of dehydration and your hair needs to be hydrated too.
As for food, my hair likes protein, omega 3, all the healthy things.. If you're not allergic to nuts, eat plenty of them as snacks, they're great for hair !

Firefox7275
January 16th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Most people here have no qualifications in nutrition or dietetics.

Humans don't need tons of protein in our diet, we need it little and often starting with breakfast. Hair is not entirely comprised of protein either, structural lipids (fats/ oils) act as cuticle 'glue' and a protective water resistant layer over the cuticle. Dead hair comes from living skin which needs the FULL compliment of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, antioxidant phytonutrients, complete protein, complex carbs and other healthy fats for optimal function.

Eat a balance of oily fish, other seafood especially molluscs, organ meats, eggs, plain dairy, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, unprocessed grains (most wheat foods are processed and are eaten far too frequently), low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the FULL rainbow of colours. No one food group is innately healthier than another.

mariakatija
January 24th, 2014, 06:56 PM
bumpily bump bump

prettyinpink
January 24th, 2014, 08:29 PM
May I ask what the pull a shed strand test is?

MissHoney
January 24th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I don't think you can make your hair even stronger by eating MORE protein. More likely only if you did not have enough then began to have enough, than to just decide to increase. Like how when you take vitamins, your body only takes what it needs, provided you drink enough water etc.

BlueMajorelle
January 24th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I eat a lot of nuts, and replaced dairy milk with unsweetened almond milk. My skin has actually improved so I'm hoping hair will in time. Also avocados and fish have good fats and proteins for hair and skin!

dulce
January 25th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I had the same experience as Chotee,once I went back to a higher protein diet 60 grms a day or more with meat and fish I saw a noticeable difference in my hair..I avoid too many carbs now and concentrate more on protein and my hair has improved.The two things that caused hair loss for me in the past were hair dyes and trying to go vegan,and yes,I ate a healthy vegan diet[nuts,beans,veggies,fruit ,tofu etc] but it didn't work well for me,maybe due to my PCOS.

Sunny_side_up
January 25th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I look forward to 6months of healthier growth as i have improved my daily intake of protein for nearly a month, watching the box dye slowly grow out. And trim off the damage.
keeping up with the 5 a day has been a bit bad lately though so have made sure im getting a mix of veg and fruit today after a shopping trip.Im making sure I get whats recommended for my build and activity in the day and im avoiding too many carbs, feeling good, was hardly getting enough protein when I thought about it and put it on paper, and my busy job and commuting adds up to quite a lot of activity, I should've been getting more of it in my meals. My energy levels are better, the major shed has slowed, and I see more hair sprouting, some nice thick strands too :)

pri108
January 26th, 2014, 05:49 AM
protein rich diet helps for sure. i feel my hair growth boosts when i eat more eggs. although i feel my body stays healthier n a veggie diet don't know about hair growth but i just get fat with meat.

YamaMaya
January 26th, 2014, 06:32 AM
It certainly couldn't hurt, and it will benefit your new growth. If you're planning on starting a hair healthy diet protien is definitely a must. For the hair you've got already, if you're happy with how it feels then you don't need to really worry about it too much.

Sunny_side_up
August 23rd, 2014, 06:39 AM
My hairs doin great since I made more effort to ensure my eatin habits are more regular and have more protein foods. Feels stronger and since regulaly consuming fats like butter, avocado and extra virgin olive oil seem great for glossy hair and growth.

peachyleshy
August 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
I think my hair is thicker than it was when I was a vegetarian. I tried to eat a balanced diet then, but at times I did feel like I wasn't getting enough protein (I was always hungry it seemed.) Now I eat meat and an egg or two everyday ( I don't feel satisfied unless I have an egg in the morning) and my hair seems a lot thicker. But I don't have a way to prove this since it's been a few years. But I definitely think that getting an adequate amount of protein will help your new hair growth be stronger and healthier, perhaps thicker. From what I've read, however, putting protein on your hair won't put protein into the hair. Though it can have different conditioning effects on it.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Eggs, meat, fish, nuts, a little milk or cheese are excellent protein to help grow happy, healthy hair, try and have protein pretty much daily, also fats, butter, olive oil, avocado. Your body needs fats too, and drink water. Your hair will thank you for it.

Also (of course), try to have less-processed rather than more-processed foods.

Mademoiselle
December 28th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I have been ocurred that we can make a list about good food for hair.

-Fruits and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables with a high content of vitamin A-,broccoli, tomato, mushrooms and green beans, with lots of vitamin B.

-The iron and copper, red meat, spinach, seafood, and nuts.

-Zinc and sulfure, found in meat and fish.

-Antioxidants and magnesium, Olive oil, chocolate, sage, almendras.

-Protein, fish, meat, eggs, cheesse, milk.

-Vitamins: group B, whole grains, nuts.

Anje
December 28th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Personally, I'd just say to eat healthily. Hair is something your body makes when all its needs are met and tends to shut down when it's deficient in something. Concentrate on major nutrients, adequate protein (hair is made of the protein keratin and your body won't produce much if it's using all the protein it gets to maintain your body), and your hair should do its thing.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Yes, just have a good variety of foods, make sure you have some protein every day, drink water and do some exercise and your hair will grow well enough.

Mademoiselle
December 28th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Yes =) I think the same, I put the food were examples, there are many good things to eat really, but I think this maybe help some people who might not have a good diet for healthy hair, but this is unlikely in LHC, sorry if this post does not work :(

Nadine <3
December 30th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Just eat healthy. The stuff that is good for my hair but I don't like I put on my hair. Like avocados. :)

papayatree
December 30th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Peanut Butter is a great food. I believe Andrea from Micronesia said that her ankle length hair was grown by patience and eating peanut butter every day.

Platzhalter
December 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I have to agree on the "just eat healthily"-rule... try to eat as natural and fresh as possible, enjoy everything you eat and get enough protein.

mermaid lullaby
December 30th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Peanut Butter is a great food. I believe Andrea from Micronesia said that her ankle length hair was grown by patience and eating peanut butter every day.

My excuse for getting bagels in the morning!
Peanut butter on a toasty bagel is so good.

Sweets
December 31st, 2015, 01:01 AM
Good fats and proteins, hooray! And I have to add, I had luscious hair when I was vegan for a few years (thinking about going back to it, but I love wild-caught salmon). If you balance any diet, it will show in your hair, skin and nails. My favorite snacks are are avocados, nut butters, pumpkin seeds, hummus...yum.

Upside Down
December 31st, 2015, 10:08 AM
Yes and lots of WATER!

MartinYYw95
December 31st, 2015, 05:18 PM
Cod liver oil. It has so many benefits for other things and not just hair. High in Vitamin A so its best to keep check of how much you are consuming.

sablebraids
January 2nd, 2016, 10:05 PM
Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Especially the chunky peanut butter. The two combined contain about one's recommend amount of biotin which is good for hair.

summergame
September 2nd, 2016, 02:01 AM
Just curious about this. I try to eat much fish. At least one piece of fruit every day and rice or pasta in case of potatoes.

Hurven
September 2nd, 2016, 02:14 AM
No, not really. I mean, I try to eat healthy, but mostly for health reasons and not so much for my hair. :)

morrigan*
September 2nd, 2016, 02:30 AM
I try to eat healthy same as Hurven, and drink enough water/non sweetened tea.

Sunshine&Opals
September 2nd, 2016, 02:49 AM
I make a breakfast smoothie with all the veggies that I'm not keen on, but are good for my hair/health. I whack in spinach, cucumber, avocado or banana, blueberries for flavour, cinnamon, turmeric,milk and chia seeds. Add a load of honey and you can't really taste the veggies. That's all of my five-a-day before I've even had my first coffee! I've also read that sweet potatoes, and bell peppers, and onions are good for hair, so I'll often chop those up and roast them, served with fish. I need to up the amount of water I drink though, that's a big one for hair health.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2016, 03:02 AM
I eat a regular (meat based) diet (my mom's cooking). No snacking, no sodas. Water + plenty of coffee. That's me. I don't go out of my way to "eat for my hair". I eat for my body and general well-being. :)

Tosca
September 2nd, 2016, 06:09 AM
No, I just eat what I feel like.

Stepo_NiNha
September 2nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
Not specifically for hair but for my whole health. I try to vary the ingredients and nutrition.

BoopBoop1
September 2nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
For my hair...I like making chia seed crackers :)

Sapeli
September 2nd, 2016, 08:09 AM
Stepo_NiNha, I have exactly the same. I actually took just recently some lab tests to see If there is proper amount vitamins, fat acids, amino acids etc. in my body. E.g. Vitamin D doesn't seem to get absorbed enough, also vitamin group B was really low. So I try to get them rise. We'll see.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 2nd, 2016, 08:17 AM
I eat 2 bananas a day with other seasonal fruits. I love fruit. One week in a month I eat a carrot a day. I never liked raw onions but now eat it in salads (I used to pick and leave it aside). These changes I started from August this year

Bezumi
September 2nd, 2016, 09:04 AM
The most important thing is to make sure you get enough food : two years ago I was severely restricting my calories intake, and as a result, I had to cut my waist length hair to APL,the damage was just so big :(.
Other that the obvious, I noticed that since going vegan my hair looks much better. I think it's because I eat more good oils that way, I'm basically married to avocado now :D

Apolli
September 2nd, 2016, 09:44 AM
I try to eat as best as possible for my own body's health but hair health is a bigger motivator for me (not saying it's more important. Just more motivating for me). This means I stay away from fast/greasy foods (for my own body and they seem to irritate my skin) and take my vitamin b and omega 3 fatty acid pills/capsules (I'm deficient). I'm also trying to drink a lot more water.

Johannah
September 2nd, 2016, 09:57 AM
I eat healthy. For my hair, but mostly for other reasons. Just for my health in general, really.

HairPlease
September 2nd, 2016, 10:01 AM
I eat healthy for my body's overall health, hair health is a positive side effect. :)

Chromis
September 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM
I eat well for me. It just so happens that this also is good for my hair.

I did have a giant shed when I lost a bunch of weight several years ago, but the weight loss was still worthwhile. The hair has been growing back better than ever.

Rowdy
September 2nd, 2016, 10:37 AM
I just try to make sure I get enough protein every day.

Deborah
September 2nd, 2016, 10:37 AM
There is no special 'hair diet.' If your body is healthy your hair will be healthy.

Str0wberryblond
September 2nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
I also try to eat healthy because of overall health, not because of hair. Good hair doesn't grow in sick body. I drink a lot of water, green tea and rooibos and i eat green stuff, i am vegetarian. I should eat more protein and good fats. I try to eat everyday a handfull of seeds. Now it's autumn so my freezer is full of blueberries and those are my evening snacks. Good exercise and avoiding stress is also important.
Now i have a little experiment, what happens when i eat every night one onion and one garlic, will see. Maybe i don't have friends anymore ;)

Platzhalter
September 2nd, 2016, 01:02 PM
No, not aside from trying to live and eat healthy in general ;)

lapushka
September 2nd, 2016, 02:05 PM
OP, why do you eat rice and pasta instead of potatoes. Potatoes... nothing wrong with them, at all.

Pamberpestana
September 2nd, 2016, 07:04 PM
I drink water for my hair, otherwise I probably wouldn't drink much because I hate the taste. My tap water tastes like an indoor pool, and bottled water tastes like rocks.
So maybe my hair is keeping my healthy :)
I also try to eat enough protein. But I do love my pastas and breads haha

vampyyri
September 2nd, 2016, 08:23 PM
Not really... I'm vegetarian, so I try to get as much protein in as I can for my overall health. I also drink a gallon of water a day, not specifically for my hair, but just for my health. What it does for my hair is just a bonus!

Stepo_NiNha
September 3rd, 2016, 03:44 AM
OP, why do you eat rice and pasta instead of potatoes. Potatoes... nothing wrong with them, at all.

Yeah nothing wrong with potatoes! OP you can also look for sweet potato if you're looking for variable nutrients in one ingredient. It's a little heavy but still healthy! It's also good if you work out or play sports

Hairkay
September 3rd, 2016, 04:11 AM
No, I eat for general health and enjoyment.

summergame
September 3rd, 2016, 09:42 AM
It's that I don't like the taste of the potatoes at all :) . I like sweet potatoes but my mom doesn't. And I still live with her.

Kimberly
September 3rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
My hair likes ice cream.

No really, it's for my hair, I swear. It also likes cake.

;-)

Adorkable One
September 3rd, 2016, 04:16 PM
A healthy diet in general will benefit hair. For me, what's made a notable difference was just drinking more water. Just make sure you eat enough, and don't be afraid of healthy fats and protein.

Adorkable One
September 3rd, 2016, 04:16 PM
My hair likes ice cream.

No really, it's for my hair, I swear. It also likes cake.

;-)

Lol I like the way you think.

Katem
September 3rd, 2016, 10:26 PM
I started eating healthier for my hair, but now I eat for my whole body

Ellethwyn
September 3rd, 2016, 10:49 PM
I eat a lot of eggs, plain greek yogurt with a little honey and cinnamon sometimes, avocados and I take a vitamin D supplement. I like that those are great for hair health!

hanne jensen
September 10th, 2016, 03:01 AM
I try to eat more protein and drink lots of water.

racheldelrey
October 25th, 2017, 05:44 PM
I looked to see if there was already a thread for this and didn't see one - please let me know if I missed it!

What foods have you started eating in hopes to speed up hair growth? Or, better yet! Is there anything you've been eating and have noticed help?

I have added the following to my diet

-Avocados (at least 1 a day)
-Yellow peppers
-Spinach or other leafy greens
-Eggs

Plus lots of water throughout the day. Is there anything I should add? I'm vegetarian, so no meat products, please. =)

Obsidian
October 25th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Apples, heard they help with hair growth if eaten everyday. If you need more protein, peanut or almond butter is always a good option and almond butter is great with apples.

racheldelrey
October 25th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Apples, heard they help with hair growth if eaten everyday. If you need more protein, peanut or almond butter is always a good option and almond butter is great with apples.

Mmmm, that sounds so yummy right now! I guess the combination of vitamins A and B makes them really good for healthy hair!

Beeboo123
October 25th, 2017, 06:07 PM
I’ve never found that any food sped up my hair growth, but working out definitely made my hair grow much, much more quickly.

Chromis
October 25th, 2017, 06:17 PM
We have a few of these threads floating about! I will have to have a search for them later or if anyone one else is feeling curious about the topic and beats me to it, link away and I will thread merge so people can find them all easier! (You can make a post or just report this one and put the links in the body)

Dark40
October 25th, 2017, 06:29 PM
I've learned that peanut butter is good for faster hair growth, and fruits and vegetables.

LadyCelestina
October 26th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Protein and exercise. I also tell myself that eating a lot of colourful vegetables and fruits(= antioxidants) help keep your haircolour bright. It's not true probably, but I like to think it is :D It's true for skin though. Eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, especially carotene rich, make your skintone slightly yellower in undertone which is perceived as healthy and attractive.

Rehab350
October 26th, 2017, 04:58 AM
I've heard of turmeric, caffeine as well, but never noticed specific food helped me.

lapushka
October 26th, 2017, 06:01 AM
There's this one (search titles only and you'll find more results!)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139539

Aredhel
October 26th, 2017, 06:37 AM
I don't eat especially for my hair honestly. I eat a well-balanced diet (well... relatively... I follow the keto diet, which is very carb-restrictive), so predominantly a lot of meat, greens, nuts, eggs, avacados, etc., which all contain plenty of protein, saturated fats (this one I've seen heavily debated though), fiber, omega 3's... all very good nutrients for the hair. :)

I've never really noticed any difference in my hair when I compare now to my hair when I was very unhealthy, but I'm not a very observant person, so who knows.... maybe there is a difference in hair quality.:shrug:

Maple
October 26th, 2017, 07:00 AM
I never saw a difference in hair growth when eating special "hair foods" (even for a longer time / some months). I had increased shedding last year because of iron deficiency, but not caused by eating too less "hair foods" in particular. Drinking enough water and doing sports helps to keep my hair growing with constant speed.

Rockin' Gramma
October 26th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Wait ... ice cream doesn't help hair growth? What? What? :gabigrin:

lapushka
October 26th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Wait ... ice cream doesn't help hair growth? What? What? :gabigrin:

Of course it does (dairy). LOL!

luvlonghair75
October 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Anything with protein! Also, I believe I heard pineapple is also a good one. Loads of vitamin C and bromelain!

Garnetgem
October 26th, 2017, 12:25 PM
A few years ago i went through some hair loss and a scalp specialist (trichologist)gave me advice on what to add to my diet they were the following.

Whole grain Brown rice
Tuna fish
Chicken
Vegetables
Brown bread

all this helped as on my check up a short time later i had tufts of hair growing as before i had little growth..i stick to these in my diet even now..oh and i also now juice apples daily this is well known to promote growth..

Dems
October 26th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I don't know if personally any foods have helped my hair growth as such, but a healthy and colourful diet really can't hurt! I'm a veggie so I do try and make sure I get my protein in because that's supposed to be good for hair, but also for the rest of you! I do find that in the summer when I'm eating more fruit and getting more sun, my hair does seem to be happy!

Chromis
October 26th, 2017, 04:06 PM
I think I have scooped these all together now!

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 04:52 PM
3 slices of peanut butter bread, and coffee for breakfast, fruits and veggies for lunch, and then beans for dinner 2 or 3 times a week. I love the(nut thing) too. I eat a lot of cashews, walnuts, and peanuts.

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Oodles of sunflower seeds!

Hi Elphie! I just had to tell you that your hair is so pretty in your photo on here! I like sunflower seeds too!

Aredhel
October 26th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Hi Elphie! I just had to tell you that your hair is so pretty in your photo on here! I like sunflower seeds too!
I don't think Elphie's been active in over 7 years by the looks of it!

I agree though, sunflower seeds are wonderful. Forgot to mention I love munching on those too. :)

Rockin' Gramma
October 26th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Of course it does (dairy). LOL!

Of course my hair is the only reason I eat it ... ;)

Dendra
October 27th, 2017, 03:40 AM
I agree though, sunflower seeds are wonderful. Forgot to mention I love munching on those too. :)

Haha, me too! I'm eating them right now.

Suze
October 28th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Slowly transisioned into a raw vegan diet this year (for health reasons) and my sister complimented me on my hair so I jokely said: powered by spinach and a whole lot of veggies and fruits. But honestly I had secretly hoped it would have a
positive impact on my hair growth rate and the condition of my hair. The latter is probably to soon to tell though. Plus I went (and still go) through some heavy detox symptoms. But I'm really curious to see if it makes a difference in the end. :o

lapushka
October 28th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Of course my hair is the only reason I eat it ... ;)

But of course! ;) Perfectly normal. :D :lol:

I think I'm off ice-cream this time of year. My dad still eats it. And of course, New Year and Christmas, we always eat ice-cream then. Yum. I'm sure my hair will grow an inch that month. :p ;)

lapushka
October 28th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Haha, me too! I'm eating them right now.

I had a "thing" for sunflower seeds as a kid. :D These days I can't eat hard nuts (teeth).

Dark40
November 12th, 2017, 04:23 PM
I forgot to add fish and beets are good source iron for hair growth.

DarleneH
November 12th, 2017, 04:51 PM
My hair grows faster and thicker when I get enough protein. If you're vegetarian just try to get plenty of the veggie variety.