PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried this hair accessory?

Ketherlin
January 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I am curious if any of you have ever tried Knotheads. http://www.knotheads.com (http://www.knotheads.com/)

joyfulmom4
January 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I haven't tried them but they look similar to another product I've seen called "trash ties". Both types look really interesting. I wonder if they would hold well enough for my heavy hair. They are very cute though and I think they look safe for hair; like they wouldn't be likely to tangle or cause any breakage. Definitely worth a try. I looked at the trash tie ones before and was thinking that for the price, I was reluctant to buy. But they are so simple, I was considering making some myself. Just have to find the right kind of wire. Dd has some assorted jewelry-making wire, but all are too lightweight, so I will have to check the craft store next time I go.

Amara
January 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Don't do it!

The wire pokes through the silk after a few uses.

The knots at the end of the ties catch in your hair and pull and cause tangles.

Plus its hard to push them through your hair in the first place - the knots catch, and they bend.

Twisting them at the ends causes hair to catch and tangle too.

Two thumbs DOWN!

Anje
January 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Amara -- it's good to know. I've been eyeing them as potential holders for the ends of braids, but couldn't justify the price.

Maybe I should just dig out the sewing machine and make some tubes of material (satin, or maybe something flocked for more grip), then shove pipecleaners inside them. Sounds like it could work, right?

JamieLeigh
January 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Never tried them, but they look pretty safe. I made the transition to "ouchless" rubber bands ages ago, and this looks to be along that same line. Thanks for sharing! ^_^

Sissy
January 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've never heard of them, but they make them sound really good on that video. Though, judging by the review above they aren't really all that and a bag of chips!

Ketherlin
January 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info Amara. It bums me out though. :( I wanted to give them a try for braids.

LaurelSpring
January 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Don't do it!

Plus its hard to push them through your hair in the first place - the knots catch, and they bend.

Two thumbs DOWN!

Ditto! Waste of money. I had a terrible time with them.

MandaMom2Three
January 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Seems to me that a pipecleaner would do the same thing :p

Magdalene
January 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I've used pipecleaners for similar purposes.

joyfulmom4
January 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for this info. You know, when I was considering making these for myself, I assumed that one would have to cut the wire long and then bend it back on itself at each end and wrap with something like florists tape so that it would have a blunt tip and not poke through. Apparently they don't do this for the ready-made ones, but if someone made their own and used good wire and finished the ends before covering with fabric, I think it might eliminate the problem. Likewise, if I sewed my own, I could eliminate the knots. Use a tube turner to turn the fabric tubes right side out easily, then put the wires in, then hand stitch the ends so no knots would be necessary.

Of course I still have to find the time and motivation to *try* this... But maybe a handmade version would work better?

Don't do it!

Two thumbs DOWN!

ItsMyHair
January 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I found them very difficult to manipulate and they didn't hold my hair at all. A pipecleaner would probably work better.