PDA

View Full Version : How do you part your hair?

Fillette
January 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I am not sure if this has been discussed in other threads...
I notice that some people manage to part their hair so that their scalp is not showing too much if at all. I have a hard time with neat parts because I feel like the contrast (where the scalp shows) is too noticeable.
I have less trouble when I wear my hair curly and just do a rough part with my fingers, whitout looking in a mirror. I would guess that it depends on how thick, curly or wavy your hair is.

But I think it might also be a technique related issue. How do you do it?

Teazel
January 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think my hair is quite thin on top. A rough, natural sort of part looks bad, so I use a pointy hairstick or similar to make a parting that shows my scalp less: I comb my hair so it's all in front of my shoulders, then run the hairstick over my scalp where I want the parting to be. It can be straight or zigzags, whatever. Then I carefully split the hair to either side of the stick and comb it.

jastark84
January 6th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Naturally mine parts at the center, but I like to part it to the side or slightly off center depending on how I'm going to do my hair

beehives
January 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I usually switch it up, but it's always to the side. I typically just arrange the part with my fingers because I don't like it to be straight.

Elenna
January 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm switching to a center part because I want to start doing more updos. The center part works out better than the side part for me.

Peter
January 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I usually part my hair a bit left of center. Personally I like having that thin scalp "line". I comb my hair backward, then just place my fingers where I want the part. Sometimes I have to do it a few times to get a straight line but it looks great.

HairColoredHair
January 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
My hair naturally parts at middle in an approximately straight line and I let it be as it pleases...

Girltron
January 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I avoid letting my hair part itself in the same place. If perchance my hair IS down, I make sure to flipflop it around and try to keep it swept back away from my brows, preventing the part. I've seen people thinning where they part their hair.

Lisa Marie
January 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I usually part mine on the right side. I thought this was an interesting quote from George Michael: "The hair grows from left to right on your forehead. Part your hair on the left as your bangs grow out. Once they're long enough, part your hair on the right so your hair does 'push-ups' and doesn't appear flat. Once your bangs reach chin-length, you'll notice a serious reduction in fall-out."

Lisa Marie
January 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Also, I have a question about how people do zigzag parts? I just can't get my hair to cooperate. Any tips?

Lisa Marie

Copasetic
January 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I almost always part my hair to the left, because I think I look weird with a centre part. And I always mess it up just a bit, so that it isn't a severe white line on my head.

Elphie
January 6th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I switch it around. Sometimes it's in the center, sometimes it's left of center. I rarely part it on the right (cowlick issue). I use the end of a topsy tail, a nifty little zigzag hair parting devise, the end of a comb, it depends on what's handy.

OhioLisa
January 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I don't part my hair at all. I let it do its own thing. It parts where it wants. :shrug:

NebraskaChick84
January 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't part my hair at all. I let it do its own thing. It parts where it wants. :shrug:
this, been there done that, no part for me!

Sissy
January 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
my hair just parts on it's own in the center... boring ehhhh :)

Pinga
January 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
My hair tends to part on the left by itself. I do sometimes part it on the right, with the end of a comb, for a different look.

Anje
January 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Also, I have a question about how people do zigzag parts? I just can't get my hair to cooperate. Any tips?

Lisa Marie

I normally comb my hair backward, then use a hairstick or the edge of a comb to draw the line of the part on my scalp, then use hand and comb/stick to separate the hair. You can draw a zigzag with a stick this way... It takes a little practice, though.

I do think that a really finely zigzagged part (like Boromir in the LOTR movies) can avoid having the scalp show much, at least from the front. But it's messy-looking on me. I normally just part my hair a bit left of center, though it tries to part itself in the middle.

SweetPea88
January 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I usually just let my hair decide how it wants to be parted for the day.

sneakybea
January 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I part my hair on the left, because there's a cowlick there, and because my left eye has much better vision than the right one, and if my hair falls in front of my eye, I'd like it to be the bad one. If I am doing a style that requires parting all the way to the nape (e.g. two french braids), I kind of do a diagonal part, from the left forehead to the middle of the back of my head, and then straight down.That way the amount of hair is sort of even on both sides.

harley mama
January 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I seldom part my hair. It has a natural center part
and always ends up parting itself down the middle.

BranwenWolf
January 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
My hair is very aggresive about parting in the middle so I leave it be. It feels weird otherwise.

RocketDog
January 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have a slight cowlick on my left side, and that's where my hair has naturally parted since I was a child. I cannot part my hair on the right side of my head due to a scalp injury I sustained as a teen.

joyellen
January 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
My hair parts naturally to the right.

Debra83
January 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
My hair parts naturally on the right, sometimes I comb it all back though, but not very often anymore. I'm trying not to fight with it too much and just let it do it's own thing so it is happy hair!!!

Fillette
January 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
And I always mess it up just a bit, so that it isn't a severe white line on my head.

I might give this a try. Maybe neat parts are not good for me. Thanks!

Fillette
January 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think that I will try switching it up a little. I will try the zig-zag part that Anje described and try different sides, as others suggested.

I usually part mine on the right side. I thought this was an interesting quote from George Michael: "The hair grows from left to right on your forehead. Part your hair on the left as your bangs grow out. Once they're long enough, part your hair on the right so your hair does 'push-ups' and doesn't appear flat. Once your bangs reach chin-length, you'll notice a serious reduction in fall-out."

That is very interesting. Maybe I need to try parting on the right side so my hair can do some push-ups :eyebrows:

LadyLongLocks
January 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Part mine right down the center. My hair is trained and it hates a side part. I part it after I wash it and comb it straight back until I see the rows of hair and pick the one in the center. I have lots of hair in the front with no thinning even though I wear it in a bun 95% of the time. I never pull the hair tight while it is up and I relieve any tension by loosening the hair. This also creates a bit of volume so it's not flat on my head. Sometimes I leave the center part showing with the bun and sometimes I just comb it straight back with no part. Since I grew out my bangs, my center part looks better and gives me a more classic long hair look.

sahiba
January 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I normally do not part but my fav. is sideways.

Ryanne
January 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
It naturally parts in the middle, it feels weird when I try to part differently.

eyesofsummer
January 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Mine is always on the right, but it's been that way for so long that I don't know if it's a natural part or if it was coaxed into place initially. I have shorter bits that frame my face on that side, and they never seem to grow much...maybe it is getting damaged because it is exposed so much? I'll have to try changing up where my hair parts, if that's the case...

Lisa Marie
January 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I normally comb my hair backward, then use a hairstick or the edge of a comb to draw the line of the part on my scalp, then use hand and comb/stick to separate the hair. You can draw a zigzag with a stick this way... It takes a little practice, though.

I do think that a really finely zigzagged part (like Boromir in the LOTR movies) can avoid having the scalp show much, at least from the front. But it's messy-looking on me. I normally just part my hair a bit left of center, though it tries to part itself in the middle.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it this way. LM

spidermom
January 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I don't like the look of a straight slash of scalp, either. I comb my hair straight back, then push the front over with my fingers from one side to the other. I notice that after it's been laying one way for awhile, it gets flat-looking, so then I push it in the other direction, which gives me a bit of lift. When I'm doing two braids, I'll part my hair from above one temple diagonally toward the center back, then straight down the center of the back of my head.

saoriiroas
January 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I used to part on the left, but now I part on the right, because my right eye is weaker and I want to excersize it more. I also do a center part a lot too. I just use my denmans for parting, I always get a straight line.
I won't part my hair the same way too many times, even though my hair tends towards a center part. I try to change it up to avoid breakage/damage/thinning. My hairdresser does the same thing.

lapushka
January 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I always side-part, always on the right (my right).

kpowell04
January 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I typically part mine to the left and thats because I have those side bangs and that how they go! sometimes i will do it down the middle.. will just all depend on how I want to style my hair!

butterflykisses
January 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I don't have a part when I wear my hair up, it's jsut pulled back with my bangs also pinned up.

when down, my hair is either to the side (right) or in the middle. It will usually fall naturall in the middle unless I let it dry to the side.

JamieLeigh
January 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM
My part naturally falls in the center, but occasionally I will do a side part with it loose. When it's in an updo that looks better with a side part and faux bang (which means, the front locks pulled across my forehead from the extreme side of my face and tucked behind my ear LOL), I have to part it while it's wet, or it doesn't look as sleek. :)

Plum
January 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I like to part my hair so that it has a bit of lift at the roots. This helps it keep from looking like I'm a balding man. My hair is currently always parted at the side, never down the center which I think is becoming a really tired looking style. I only part my hair everytime I shower so that the part actually stays in place.

Cinnamon Hair
January 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
In the past I would obsess over having a perfect, not one hair out of place, center part. Luckily, for my hair's sake I overcame that issue and now I just let it part generally in the center, but usually not very straight. When I wear an updo I will use a brush to remove the part line and smooth back any wispies after I have my hair up.

Ash
January 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Center part since the age of 16 :) It falls naturally that way anyway.

HotRag
January 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I part a straight line in the center, using the end tooth of my detangler rake.
But when having the same parting for a while, it seams to fall naturally in that part, just need some minor help to avoid stripes iof hair to fall at wrong side and pull.

sandigirl
January 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I brush it straight back and let it part where it wants. I don't like parts but my hair is so heavy that it naturally parts around the center area. I try to change it intentionally occasionally.

viking_quest
January 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
My part moves closer to the middle of my head as my hair gets longer. I have no idea why. When my hair was a pixie my part always lay to the very right of my head, and now it's slightly right of a center part, but my hair is usually up without a part and it doesn't matter.

Aisha25
January 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Mine wont let me part them they just hurt and lay back there original way:(

Demetrue
January 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have always had a cowlick on the right side and the hair naturally parts there in waves. I can try changing it when it's wet, etc, but the next day, the hair that I tried to move against the natural part is standing straight up. I also get headaches when I try to change the part to the other side. The two things I can get it to do naturally are either side part on the right side, or let it dry pulled back from the face and have no part.

Eden Iris
January 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I...don't. Just pull it back. Sometimes it parts itself on the left; usually when it's dirty you can see a line there.

And now I feel like a slob.

rags
January 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM
My hair has a natural center part. What is interesting to me is some people say not to part it the same way for fear of thinning. Well, I have worn it parted on the left or pulled straight back for an updo almost every day for the last fifteen years, but it is still thinning around that center part!

HotRag
January 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
My hair has a natural center part. What is interesting to me is some people say not to part it the same way for fear of thinning. Well, I have worn it parted on the left or pulled straight back for an updo almost every day for the last fifteen years, but it is still thinning around that center part!
I have hade it center parted for years and years, without thinning.
Then I had a right parting at the same place for 7-8 years, and no thinning there.
But maybe there will be more wear to the hairs that are allways disposed to things (scarves, pillow case, hats, closest to the comb and so on).

And maybe if one has very tight hair dos, it can pull and thin out where the part is? I sometimes can feel that a regular English braid is causing pulling to the hairs along the parting. I then loosen them a bit.

winter_star
January 14th, 2009, 04:08 AM
My hair naturally parts at the centre and misbehaves if I try to part it any other way.

Poppy Seed
January 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
"The hair grows from left to right on your forehead. Part your hair on the left as your bangs grow out. Once they're long enough, part your hair on the right so your hair does 'push-ups' and doesn't appear flat. Once your bangs reach chin-length, you'll notice a serious reduction in fall-out."

Interesting....

As someone whose crown is naturally just to the right of centre, my hair naturally wants to part on the right hand side. It almost always looks neat and straight and tidy (occasionally I have to help it out by running the comb along the line and teasing the strays onto the correct side of the line). It also looks smooth and flat. It most emphatically does NOT do 'push ups'.

I don't have a fringe though - so perhaps that's the trick.

I try to put my parting in a different place each time I wash the hair, so I also wear it left side and centre. Centre looks flat on top too, and quite severe. Left side is where my hair does "push ups".

I've tried not having a parting and not only does it look weird and downright wrong, the hair also forms its own totally crooked parting over the course of the first hour after I comb it all straight back.

I admit to being a bit anal and not liking the crooked or messy parting on me. It just doesn't look good.

elbow chic
January 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Mine had a center part till I was about twenty, when a bunch of random jerks in my building started joking that the top of my head "looks like a butt." :confused:

Being twenty and still sensitive to the opinions of random idiots, I started parting it to the right, where it has remained ever since.

But I liked the symmetry of a center-part and may see if it will go back.

pariate
January 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I have a double crown on the left so I have to make sure I part on the centre or preferably the right, otherwise it looks like I have a bald spot on the crown of my head! :disgust: