PDA

View Full Version : confused cone user...

howsitgrowin'87
January 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hey everyone! This is my first thread and I haven't yet introduced myself, so I guess now is a good time!

I have some questions regarding cone usage. I find that my hair does OK with cones, and I actually like using them (I tried CO and even no poo, but I like having fresh hair too much), but I'm not sure how to space out my scalp washings when I've used a cone conditioner a few days before. It would be ideal if I could wash my hair at least every 2 or 3 days, but I find if I use a conditioner that has cones in it, my hair seems to get sticky and itchy after about only one day (maybe I'm using too much?)

how do other cone users space out their s/c days with cones in their conditioner? It could be that I just need to give it time to adjust, but I also don't want to do anything that would harm my hair. It could also be the s/c I've been using (old style herbal essences pink bottle, it smells like heaven!), if that helps :)

Thank you! Any advice is much appreciated!

Elainehali
January 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hello and welcome to LHC!

Cones don't pose a problem for me. So my routine is CO 2x a week with a cheap conditioner with lots of cones. Then I shampoo the roots once a week. Followed by conditioner.

The thing with some cones is that some aren't water soliable, and need to be removed with a shampoo containing sulfates. (but I've had sucess with a non-sulfate shampoo + baking soda).

Cones aren't necessarily evil. You just need to make sure to not get build up by clairifying.

AprilElf
January 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Maybe you could try diluting your shampoo and conditioner?
My hair likes cones and when using them I only wash once a week (CWC). I dilute the shampoo by half, and the conditioner by a third (so it's two thirds conditioner). My hair has been used to weekly washes for a long time, though. If you want to stretch yours out, there will probably be some adjustment period.
Sorry that's all I have to offer, hope it's a little helpful. :)

boomygrrl
January 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Gosh, everyone's hair is different...and their needs and the look they're trying to achieve, etc.
I like to "wash" my hair everyday. By "wash" I mean either water wash, CO wash, or shampooing. I do sometimes skip a wash and do nothing to my hair, just to give it a break, but mostly, I wash my hair every morning. I have to or I'll feel dirty...and not just my scalp. For whatever reason, my back and under arms feel dirty, even though I shower and wash them.
I sometimes use cones. I find that I can CO wash sometimes, but the build up usually requires a shampooing. So, I'll alternate...I'll CO wash, use a light shampoo (without sulfates) and then "clarify" with a sulfate wash once or week (more or less often, depending on my hair). I have developed the skill of "listening" to my hair. My hair will let me know if it needs more than a CO wash or sulfate-free shampooing because my scalp will feel gross or my hair will look dirty. It will also tell me to back off from shampooing when it's extra dry.
When I use cones, I have to shampoo, but I can still get away with CO washing on some days, just to minimize the dryness of regular shampooing.
I don't have a set routine, again I just "listen" to my hair.

Hope that helps.

dalriada-lady
January 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
welcome to the boards, I wash my hair with poo once or twice a week, then smooth a cone heavy condish (L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Treatment Condish. ) i had the same problem with my hair getting used to less washing, it took me about 4 months to be able to wear my hair down and not look or feel greasy. i spent those months with my hair in a braid or bun. you can CO daily, it keeps hair less greasy and moisturizes quite well. but your hair has to get used to CO also. one good thing that helped me was using a Boar Bristle Brush to spread the sebum down the length daily.

Whatever you do to space out the washing with poo process will take time and patience. don't give up, just breathe and keep your hair up in a braid or bun to hide the greasies until your scalp gets used to producing less sebum.

Sorry if i wasn't much help. good luck.

teela1978
January 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I wonder if you're putting too much conditioner near your scalp. Usually I just spread it from the ears down or so when I condition, so the conditioner has no real effect on my scalp getting itchy. Perhaps using less would be better? I wash and condition (with cones) my hair every 2-3 days usually. I'm definitely greasy by day 3, but that's just because I'm an oily person. If you don't see that effect with cone-free conditioner, that might be an easier way to go.

howsitgrowin'87
January 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I wonder if you're putting too much conditioner near your scalp. Usually I just spread it from the ears down or so when I condition

Thank you everyone for your advice and your own routine, it helps so much! Teela1978 I think you might be right about putting too much conditioner near my scalp. I think I might have a fear about not covering my whole head with conditioner, like the length will be really soft and the top will be really dry, but that's the natural oils job and it's probably why it feels gunky and itchy. I didn't know if conditioner needed to be applied anywhere you washed with sulfates, like to balance the pH or something else scientific :) but I will definitely try this!

I also have developed a theory that it might be the s/c I've been using. As much as I love the old HE replenish s/c and how it smells/makes my hair feel right after I use it, I think it may contain silicones that aren't as water soluable as ones like Aussie Moist (at least what I've heard on here they are, or work well) and that is what causes my hair to gunk up quicker too.

It might as well be for the best because I think they're discontinuing it soon because of the new style of Herbal Essences (but it says that the "color me happy" version has the same great scent as the old one).

Anyways.... thank you for all your advice and support!

atlantaz3
January 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
It might as well be for the best because I think they're discontinuing it soon because of the new style of Herbal Essences (but it says that the "color me happy" version has the same great scent as the old one).

I use the same replenishing s/c and didn't know they were discontinuing it. I have noticed that it's not available in my grocery stores. I have been making special trips to Target to stock up. Every time I try another s/c I end up going back to the herbal essences. I'll be stocking up if they do discontinue! I've thought about trying to go cone and silicon free but my hair seems happier with the stuff in and feels cleaner. I can stretch to five days between shampoos if I don't have anywhere to go the last day!

What shampoo do yall recommend that doesn't have all the bad stuff but leaves your hair feeling clean like the ones with all the bad stuff in it.
(I'm getting really bummed thinking I won't be able to find my shampoo any longer - it's been doing great the last two years for me!!)

teela1978
January 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
What shampoo do yall recommend that doesn't have all the bad stuff but leaves your hair feeling clean like the ones with all the bad stuff in it.
(I'm getting really bummed thinking I won't be able to find my shampoo any longer - it's been doing great the last two years for me!!)

It depends entirely on what you consider 'bad stuff' to be. Some people react badly to 'sulfates' (ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, and variations on that theme), I use them a few times a week (diluted) with no problems. If a shampoo has been working for you, see if you can find another with a similar ingredients list. They really don't vary all that much in the main commercial brands. If you want to try something new, there are plenty of product reviews on the board (I think... I'm not sure I've ever really explored them all that much).

RedButterfly
January 9th, 2009, 12:50 AM
My hair likes small amounts of low cones like dimethicone, dimethiconal, peg dimethicones, or amethicone. I can't use really heavy duty cones, though. Since my hair is color-treated, I like to use a rinse-out conditioner with a low cone in it. I also use Suave Humectant Conditioner as a leave-in most of the time and it has dimethiconal in it. However, my gel and curl reviving cream are cone-free. I wash with a low sulfate shampoo once a week or every two weeks to avoid build-up.

I'm currently experimenting with a more cone-free routine. However, my hair tangles more. So low cones may not be bad for curly, wavy, fine and color-treated hair.

My advice is to use what works for your hair.