PDA

View Full Version : Location Lock-ation!

PHOENIX MOON
January 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hey all, Just a theory of location/water.

I'm beginning to realise that my hair condition responds to where I am located. I alternate between an inner city and a near the seaside. I found that my hair prefers the near the sea, even though there is salt spray and more irratic wind.
There could be a difference due to hard and soft water areas. I have found my hair, skin and taste buds HATE hard water.

Could my body actually have an allergy to what makes the water 'hard'?

Islandgrrl
January 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I don't see why you couldn't be sensitive to something in hard water. I guess taste-wise, a lot depends on what minerals are in the water. Certainly they can build up on your hair over time - I don't why it would be different for your skin. I know that water from my well tastes (yummy) way different than the water from my father's well (nasty) (4 miles apart) - his water is harder than mine.

YogaGirl59
January 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I have a filter in my shower head that removes some of the minerals from the water. I noticed improvement in my hair after using it. They are not very expensive.

teela1978
January 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
My hair was never better than when I was living in a place that had 'good' water (not hard, not soft). I've never had soft water though, not sure how my hair would react :)

BranwenWolf
January 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
My water has weird stuff in it and is softened to boot, and my hair hates it. I'm using a lot of conditioners and natural methods.

My hair also flattened out and thinned a bit after I got back from vacation to the freezing cold midwest.

For the OP, I think maybe your hair might like the humidity by the seaside?

Sissy
January 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
my hair seems to like the dry,cold seasons. It goes haywire in the humid, hot seasons. I think I wouldn't do well by the coast.

LittleLlama
January 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hair aside (I know, how could I?!) I've heard that people "thrive" more if they live and eat food from within 50 or so miles of where they were born.

logica_divina
January 7th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Where I live (southern Serbia) we have pretty hard water. I guess I got used to it of course.. But, for exmple, the last time I was in Czech Republic my hair became quite flatter (lost some thickness and volume) but it was waaaay softer.

LutraLutra
January 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Where I live we have quite soft water, when I go and stay with my friend in London (where the water is much harder and tastes yucky) my hair and skin go crazy. I get nasty dry skin with big spots under the surface and my hair looks greasy and frizzy. I imagine if I moved to London my body would adjust and get used to it. The softest water I've ever experienced was in Turin. I washed my hair in the shower with a tiny little bit of 'poo and the bubbles nearly filled the room. :D

HairColoredHair
January 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hair aside (I know, how could I?!) I've heard that people "thrive" more if they live and eat food from within 50 or so miles of where they were born.

Why would that make any difference?

PHOENIX MOON
January 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Lutra Lutra, that is what happens with me. When I am in a soft water area I find my skin and IBS behaves itself -I havent rinsed my hair under soft water yet, but my hair feels better.

LittleLlama
January 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Why would that make any difference?

I'm not sure. Something about eating food grown where you were. Like raw honey produced within 20 miles of where you live will help you with allergies. Wish I could remember where I read it :o