PDA

View Full Version : I have a strange itchy/flaky scalp problem...

the lady
January 6th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I know this has probably been asked before, but I can't find it searching. I apologise if I'm being an idiot.

About a month ago I dropped a heavy, cast iron casserole dish on my head (yes, I know, genius). It gave me a nasty concussion and very bad bumps on my head. Now that's not my problem, it's all healed fine, but where I had those bruises I now have patches of flaky skin on my scalp, it's itchy, and quite painful. It's not something that I've suffered from before and I was wondering a) what it is, and b) how I can get rid of it.

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions about what I can do? I don't want to bother the doctor if it turns out there's something I can do to get rid of it easily, but it's started to bleed when I scratch now, and I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any advice, and sorry if I'm duplicating the question.

N.b. I did not throw the casserole dish in the air or anything like that, I was trying to get it down from a shelf. And I am incredibly clumsy, I swear I'm going to kill myself in a really stupid way. But please, don't tell me I'm alone in the 'prone to really stupid accidents' club!

Darkhorse1
January 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Oww. Don't worry, I've done stuff like that too.

Most likely, if you hit your head, you've probably got one heck of a bruise on your scalp. That's bleeding under the skin. As that heals, it can itch. I wouldn't do anything for it just yet--perhaps some cool water rinses after washing. If it continues to be bothersome, speak to your doctor as you don't want to mess around with anything. Since it is tender, I wouldn't reccomend any dandruff shampoos as that might sting.

Good luck and glad you are ok!! This is why I hate house work--it'll kill ya :D

lora410
January 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I am also wondering if in your time of healing if you may have come in contact with some form of dematitis? You could try mixing a bit of neem( vera stinky though) with some oil and rub in that area. It works as an antifungal

saoriiroas
January 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Neem for itchy flaky scalp is the best way to go. You can get the pure stuff and mix it with olive/jojoba/sweetalmond any carrier oil and rub it into your scalp really well. My bf is a bouncer at a club, and he does some fighting club thing, so he is always covered in bruises and scrapes. He wears his hair closely cropped to the scalp and I can see these red, flaky patches from where scrapes and bruises used to be. I am thinking that if you have the same sort of bruising he did, you might have similar quasi-scar tissue. Scar tissue sometimes does not produce sebum (oil) like regular tissue, which could lead to dryness. He does have eczema though...so maybe there might be more to his condition. I use an oil mixture that has neem on his dry patches.

Um, try to be more careful? Maybe by not dropping cast iron things on your skull? J/k, glad you are alright... It is kind of funny though. Did you lose conciousness?

suicides_eve
January 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
maybe massaging with some vitamin e oil? unrelated story : when i had stitches by my hair line it was dry and flaky and itchy, i started to rub that oil on there, it healed up and stopped itching

venividibxtchy
January 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Careful with neem if you're aspirin-sensitive.

If the skin is closed, just sensitive, I'd recommend coconut oil. It helps my itchy scalp and uncomfortable eczema/seborrheic dermatitis.