PDA

View Full Version : Technique for reviving curls

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I just had to share this. I always have great curls in the morning when I do a CWC or wash and go to bed with my hair damp. So just accidentally really I discovered another way to get almost the same curls EVERY morning! Instead of spraying water on it in the morning (and getting hardly any results) night before last I put my hair in a low ponytail with a soft scrunchy and sprayed the tail and especially the last 6 or so inches with a mix of water and a little conditioner pretty well, not dripping but pretty damp. Then I added a LOT of coconut oil and scrunched it through with my fingers (NOT a comb and did NOT fingercomb). Then I just went to bed. The next morning my hair was SO soft and shiny and CURLY almost like when I wash. I was SO happy. I tried it again last night and it worked the same way. I wanted to share it with anyone who might want to try this as well. I am so excited! My hair had been a little dry from the winter too and it really helped that as well. :cheese:

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm so everyone else already KNOWS this. Well!!!! You could have shared it with me!!! ;)

neon-dream
January 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Wow!
Do you think this will work on waves, too?

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Wow!
Do you think this will work on waves, too?

I guess it depends on how your hair reacts when you go to sleep with it damp. Does it wave more and do better then?

neon-dream
January 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah it does, I might give this a try :D!!

WavyGirl
January 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm so everyone else already KNOWS this. Well!!!! You could have shared it with me!!! ;)

LOL, nope I have yet to find a method of reviving my curls. My hair looks 3a when it dries after a wash, but by that evening it's 2bish and by the next morning rat's nest is the term that springs to mind. I will have to try this and see if it helps my crazy waves. Thanks for the tip.

PurpleAshes
January 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I've tought about doing this but never actually done it.
I think I'll try it tonight =D

Debra83
January 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm afraid of breakage with a scrunchie.

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM

A cloth scrunchie? Really? I have never had a problem with breakage from a scrunchie. I don't think most people have. Oh and I also take the scrunchie out before I go to bed. I just lay my hair across the silk pillowcase like I usually do. I don't know if it would work the same with a scrunchie left in or not.

I hope it helps someone! Please let me know!

Medvssa
January 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
When I go to bed with damp or wet hair, in the morning it stands right up, as it dried :lol: so I bet this would not work for me.

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 11:36 AM
When I go to bed with damp or wet hair, in the morning it stands right up, as it dried :lol: so I bet this would not work for me.

How long is your hair? Mine used to be like that too. As it got longer it got MUCH better.

GlassEyes
January 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Depending on the material, it's probably one of the better ways to secure hair, actually, causing very little damage. Velvet and silk scrunchies are easier on hair than many other hair ties, as long as they cover the elastic.

naturechild
January 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
How much oil do you put in? I sometimes get a heaviness to my hair that can take the curl out. hummmmm I will deff. try this tonight. Thank you!

Medvssa
January 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
How long is your hair? Mine used to be like that too. As it got longer it got MUCH better.

I think the problem is more in thickness of strands than on the lenght. I also have a lot of root volume (my curls spring out of my head). Indeed it stands right up more easily when it is shorter, but still now at about waist when wet, bsl dry, it stands right up at the roots, the rest is all kinked in all directions, normally it is all twisted towards one side (I sleep on my side) and looks like a terrible mess :lol:

I should take a picture some day because it is quite... impressive :lol:

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
How much oil do you put in? I sometimes get a heaviness to my hair that can take the curl out. hummmmm I will deff. try this tonight. Thank you!My hair can take a LOT of coconut oil on DAMP hair only, not dry though. It seems to absorb it overnight. I didn't put as much on last night and I can see how after several nights you would need to wash or CO or whatever. But I do that usually 2 times a week anyway or wear updos. It is nice to have good curls though for a few extra days. AND I know the extra moisture and oil is good for it too. I guess the amount would vary between people.

I think the problem is more in thickness of strands than on the lenght. I also have a lot of root volume (my curls spring out of my head). Indeed it stands right up more easily when it is shorter, but still now at about waist when wet, bsl dry, it stands right up at the roots, the rest is all kinked in all directions, normally it is all twisted towards one side (I sleep on my side) and looks like a terrible mess :lol:

I should take a picture some day because it is quite... impressive :lol:Oh I can understand that! Your hair is curlier than mine it looks like. When mine was shoulder length and/or layered was way more sticky-uppy than now. The weight really has made it MUCH better.

lapushka
January 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I use a bit of conditioner in a spray bottle. Just fill the rest with water, shake & spray on the frizzy bits. Especially helps after a night of tossing & turning. The coconut oil might be a bit too much for me.

Curlsgirl
January 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I use a bit of conditioner in a spray bottle. Just fill the rest with water, shake & spray on the frizzy bits. Especially helps after a night of tossing & turning. The coconut oil might be a bit too much for me.

If I do it in the morning and without coconut oil it really does nothing for me except make the frizz worse mainly unless I wear an updo. For some reason sleeping on it makes the difference for ME. :shrugs:

tinabcurly
January 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM

LOL! I did know about this... sort of. My hair likes aloe in place of the conditioner though & I do this in the AM. I'll have to try it before going to bed-- good idea.

It's great you found something that works for you! Yipee!

YogaGirl59
January 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Oh and I also take the scrunchie out before I go to bed. I just lay my hair across the silk pillowcase like I usually do.

I've read several times about sleeping with your hair laying across the pillow. I don't understand how you can keep from getting it all tangled during the night. I guess I toss and turn a lot, but my hair is a horrible mess every morning.

RocketDog
January 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I wish something like this would work for me, but the only way to keep my hair happy overnight is to braid it - wearing it in a ponytail ALWAYS results in lots of broken hair, and wearing it loose leaves me with a gigantic fauxhawk of poof, flat on the sides and huge tangles everywhere else.

Roseate
January 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Whenever I go to bed with wet or damp hair, I wake up with it exactly as wet as it was when I went to sleep. It's bizarre.

It's like a time warp. The rest of the world is sleeping for 8 hours, but my hair teleports to morning without drying at all.:shrug:

Glad you found a way to keep your curls longer!

Curlsgirl
January 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I've read several times about sleeping with your hair laying across the pillow. I don't understand how you can keep from getting it all tangled during the night. I guess I toss and turn a lot, but my hair is a horrible mess every morning.I don't toss and turn at all hardly. I seem to have this subconscious recognition of my hair being there and not squishing it :lol: I don't comb or brush anyway so if it does get tangled a bit I don't worry about it until I wash again because you can't really tell among the curls.

Whenever I go to bed with wet or damp hair, I wake up with it exactly as wet as it was when I went to sleep. It's bizarre.

It's like a time warp. The rest of the world is sleeping for 8 hours, but my hair teleports to morning without drying at all.:shrug:

That IS weird. :lol: Maybe it wouldn't since you would only be wetting the bottom part though. My hair toward the top is rather straight anyway so I don't have to worry about that.

rubyann
January 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I'm a wavy, so this sounds like an interesting experiment to try tonight! Usually, CO just makes my hair icky and greasy looking as a leave in. I've had the most luck with misting and applying a squirt of AVG, scrunching it in while upside down, to revive my wurlies into a happy situation. I also braid before bed, as a rule, which keeps the tangles at bay.

Curlsgirl, I'd love to have your curls, they are so beautiful!

Curlsgirl
January 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'm a wavy, so this sounds like an interesting experiment to try tonight! Usually, CO just makes my hair icky and greasy looking as a leave in. I've had the most luck with misting and applying a squirt of AVG, scrunching it in while upside down, to revive my wurlies into a happy situation. I also braid before bed, as a rule, which keeps the tangles at bay.

Curlsgirl, I'd love to have your curls, they are so beautiful!

Awwwwwwwwwww thank you so much!!! :flowers:

inspiral
January 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
thanks for sharing, im going to try this!

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
LOL, nope I have yet to find a method of reviving my curls. My hair looks 3a when it dries after a wash, but by that evening it's 2bish and by the next morning rat's nest is the term that springs to mind. I will have to try this and see if it helps my crazy waves. Thanks for the tip.

Ha for a minuet i though you were describing my hair:). I am up for experimenting.. has anyone else tried this with luck?

Rini
January 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Curlsgirl :waving:

I have HORRIBLE hair in the morning, no matter what I do. It takes a good spritz with Kimberlily's defrizz concoction to get it looking good again so that I can leave the house without scaring small children and animals :o

But I'm glad this is working for you! Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best. It also gives me hope when you say that your hair has gotten much better as it has gotten longer! Seeing as we seem to have similar hair types.....