PDA

View Full Version : Who sleeps with a bun, like I do?

eadwine
March 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I hear many with loose, LOTS with braids.. but I was wondering who of us (besides myself) prefers a bun to sleep with?

I sleep with that 10sec quick bun. The ends are sticking up, so they won't get mangled on the pillow, and I am not laying on them either as I would with a braid :)

Leisha
March 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I tend to go to sleep with my hair in whatever style it was in already :o it's only very rarely that I actually do anything with it especially for going to sleep with.

My hair is in a bun most days, so I usually sleep with a bun too :)

Only thing is I have to be careful what stick I use, because I broke a nice hairstick once because it came out of the bun (happens very often at night) and I accidentally lay on it :(

But seeing as I very often use VKdesigns sticks, that isn't really a problem, I haven't managed to break any of them yet ;)

eadwine
March 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah.. what I use.. a folded up sock knitting needle, makes a nice U shape and is just big enough for my bun and not too big to be pushing my pillow :)

LeaM07
March 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Scrunchie bun here... I end up laying on it sometimes, but it doesn't really bother me. I shower at night, so the bunning helps to tame my waves also.

Shell
March 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sometimes I sleep in a bun if it's very hot, but usually it hurts my neck (I can't do it on top of my head). I'm currently experimenting with making a bun behind one ear (I'm a back and side sleeper).

It's sure nice to not have to fuss with hair or a braid at night.

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Eadwine, please, what is a 10 sec. bun? :confused:

And do you sleep with the bun on top of your head, or lower down the back?

I ask because I'm about to begin 'bun-sleeping' and don't know where best to place it for comfort and stability. My hair is BSL, and I have shorter layers throughout as well.

Guenever
March 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Me, me!^^

I used to braid but my ends got all frizzy and weird.. Now I make a high KarenLynn knot variation secured with 2 medium jaw clips.. nice, soft ends and body wave for me in the morning :D and it's great not to worry about lying on a braid..

talullah
March 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I sleep with a bun on top of my head. I sleep on my back and sides, so I need a style that accommodates all possible sleeping positions. :silly: I usually secure it with a fork.

Catladyintown
March 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I mainly sleep with a pineapple bun on top of my head.

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I bun sometimes mainly braid though

Isilme
March 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I did sleep with my hair in a bun for quite some time and it was wonderful, but I found that it started to pull too much on my hairline:( and it had a tendency to fall out. It was just an easy scrunchie bun.

Unnamed
March 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I do, but it's a bunned braid. :oops: I've bunned it loosely (coverd, though, so it didn't undo) for about a year and a half, and I recently added securing with two bent knitting needles.

I'd do just a bun if my hair didn't tangle so much...yes, it'll tangle by morning, even bunned.

MoonCreature
March 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
How do you do the buns? On top of your head or what? It sounds unsecure to have hairsticks/knittingneedles in bed if they slipped and one rolled on them or something... I'm sleeping in a braid, but lately it has started to disturb me while sleeping so I'm looking for an alternative.

pookatrina
March 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Yep, this is my hair in the morning after a night's sleep on it & it's still tidy. By morning braids have usually fallen 1/2 out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/Queen-Slug/100_3179x.jpg

socks
March 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I sleep with a bun on occasion, but it really isn't that comfortable for me since I use giant claw clips. I prefer to just have my hair dangling loose off of the edge of my bed. My bed is about 4 feet high, so most of my hair is off the floor.

Xanthippe
March 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I tend to go to sleep with my hair in whatever style it was in already :o it's only very rarely that I actually do anything with it especially for going to sleep with.

Me too. I sleep on my stomach, so I don't really have trouble with being on top of my hair as long as it is contained somehow. So, I've definitely slept with a bun! And even hairsticks before, but I did manage to snap one in half that way so I try not to do that anymore.

Gemma
March 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I bun as well. Some nights I really just want to have it down but usually it's more convenient to do a sloppy bun on the top of my head.

hrimfaxi
March 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I sometimes accidentally sleep on a bun... if I happen to fall asleep with one in. In these instances, though, I often wake up in the middle of a nap and remove the bun and end up sleeping with it loose; I find it uncomfortable to sleep with a bun because I move around a lot (I used to be a side sleeper only, but now I seem to sleep on side, back, or any combination thereof...just not stomach).
When sleeping intentionally, I usually go with one or two braids, and the occasional ponytail when I'm feeling too beat to even braid my hair. :P

eadwine
March 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Eadwine, please, what is a 10 sec. bun? :confused:

And do you sleep with the bun on top of your head, or lower down the back?

I ask because I'm about to begin 'bun-sleeping' and don't know where best to place it for comfort and stability. My hair is BSL, and I have shorter layers throughout as well.

The 10sec bun is my signature bun, wear it pretty much every day, with sticks forks ficcares flexis, anything.

I posted about it a while ago.. but I made a video too. link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI)

I wear my bun at night just like I normally do, low on the back.

Iona
March 27th, 2008, 01:16 AM
oh yay, I was beginning to think i was the only one!

I wear a low bun to sleep almost every night, held up with very plain solid chopsticks. I usually sleep on my side so there was practically no transition at all. The bun worn tends to vary, whatever feels most comfortable that evening. Every few months I have an evening where no bun is comfortable, and I have to sleep with it either in a braid or just down, other than that, the bun is just the easiest solution.

MerryKat
March 27th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I wear a scrunchie bun on the top of my head. It is comfortable and keeps my hair out of my way and tangle free.

khyricat
March 27th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I've been just putting my sleep hat over my buns most days after removing the hairtoy and sleeping that way.. if it wasn't still up, I do a knot bun and then put the cap on..

so yes I sleep in a bun most of the time.

cindy58
March 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I've tried to sleep with a bun so I could have some nice waves in the AM, but I doubt if I've made it through a night without letting it loose.

Occasionally I braid at night, but I usually sleep with my hair loose.

Lady Godiva
March 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
:waving: I sleep in an updo the majority of the time.

FrannyG
March 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I sleep with a scrunchie bun on the top of my head almost every night. It allows for any sleep position, which is good, because I'm all over the place. Once in a while I wear a braid.

birdiefu
March 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I used to sleep in a braid for the longest time, but noticed that I would often snag hairs that puffed out from my head but still attached to the braid. So I tried a scrunchie bun for a while- my hair liked it better, but since my scalp hair aches with a high bun for that length of time, my neck became very sore sleeping with a bun on the nape or back of my head. Now, I sleep with my hair loose again (which I never though I would do anymore), with it swept up away from my head and laying past the top of the pillow.

I sleep on my back or either side, turning multiple times in the night (one, sometimes two nurslings in bed with me, so lots of turning at night). Even though my hair is loose, the ends don't really move from where I put them when I go to bed, just the 8" or so from my scalp rotate when I turn. But even when I had a braid, I hated sleeping *on* my hair and put it up on the pillow.

Starr
March 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I sleep in a bun every night. . . I don't like the sensation of hair on my neck at night.

Kelpie
March 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I slept with a bun for the first time last night. It was comfier than I thought it would be. I just held it with a scrunchie. I'm hoping that this will keep the ends of my hair protected more than my usual braids.

Shell
March 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've found a better bun for me! I made kind of loose beebutt (if that even makes sense?) under my right ear and fastened with a silk scrunchie. I sleep either on my back or my right side, and it was very comfortable with no pulling and minimal noticing overnight. My hair was also soft and curly in the morning. I think I've solved my night hair issues. Yay!

capelli lunghi
March 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I just make my bun I have been doing for years.. sometimes I have a stick in it.. or a ficcare.. or some other clip.. It is kind of like a cross between a French twist and a bee butt bun. I just have to put whatever I'm securing it vertical.. anything horizontal will hurt.

rubyredslippers
March 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I either sleep with a very loose bun on top of my head or two twin very loose buns beneath each earlobe . . . the latter helps me avoid nasty bun-bump which stays all day even if my hair isn't wet. It depends what I plan to do with my hair the next day.:shrug:

freznow
March 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've tried... but even the LEAST bit of wobbliness or looseness and I can't sleep well, it pulls my head at uncomfortable angles. I'm going to try again tonight, cuz what I have in seems pretty sturdy, but we'll see if i don't wake up in the middle of the night (or 20 min from now lol) and take it out.

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
The 10sec bun is my signature bun, wear it pretty much every day, with sticks forks ficcares flexis, anything.

I posted about it a while ago.. but I made a video too. link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI)

I wear my bun at night just like I normally do, low on the back.

Do you wash it out in the morning, or does it help to add waves, etc to your hair? Or is it strictly functional, to keep it out of the way?

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I just have to put whatever I'm securing it vertical.. anything horizontal will hurt.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

When I've been able to get sticks to hold at all, they end up hurting! I'll try this, thanks!!!

eadwine
March 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Do you wash it out in the morning, or does it help to add waves, etc to your hair? Or is it strictly functional, to keep it out of the way?

Do I wash it out in the morning :confused:

A bun is most likely functional ;)

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Do I wash it out in the morning :confused:

A bun is most likely functional ;)

hehehe, ok what I meant was, a person *could* braid their hair at night (maybe to keep it out of the way) which would create waves....but then being a morning bather, end up washing out those waves :)

I had been wondering if it produces some cool look while it sits bunned overnight, like the braids do.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I do a bun high on my head to that whatever position i end up in it doesn't bug me. However there are some nights I simply cant tolerate the pull feeling (no matter how lose it is) and wear it down

Marianne
March 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I usually sleep with my hair in a low bun, secured with a scrunchie. It gives me nice loose waves and helps keep my hair smooth.

eadwine
March 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
hehehe, ok what I meant was, a person *could* braid their hair at night (maybe to keep it out of the way) which would create waves....but then being a morning bather, end up washing out those waves :)

I had been wondering if it produces some cool look while it sits bunned overnight, like the braids do.

Oh like so. :)

It creates a bit of waves, yes, but nothing that would stay in long. In the morning I bun it right into another one. It is functional for me, to prevent me laying on my ends when I sleep, as I said in the first post.

Hedera
March 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I do!

Most nights, anyway; towards the end of the week, the last day or so before I wash, I might braid it and oil the tassel.

But usually it's in a high cinnabun/beebutt, secured with two bent knitting needles.
I wear a Buff over it, which also covers my eyes (works as a nightmask).

It keeps my hair out of the way, gives me a bit of 'lift' at the roots and some extra volume. I'm also not fond of braid-waves; I like them, but not the way they end at the tassel, and when I braid my hair all the way to the tip the ends get kinky and scrunchy.

Sometimes, when the bun is a bit looser, it will come undone partly during the night, but the Buff keeps the hair and the hairpins contained.

thetokenlady
March 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I toss and turn like crazy all night, so anything I wear has to be on the top of my head. I used to wear a ponytail, but that started getting too messy. Then I doubled the ponytail, but that got too long too. Then I went to a scrunchie bun, but scrunchie buns aren't stable any more. I tried a braid under a buff for a while during the coldest part of the winter, but I started breaking out where the buff touches my neck. Just a braid tends to wrap itself around my neck, so I started pinning the braid up into a bun. Then the pins were hurting my head so finally I've started securing my braided bun with 3 small claw clips.

I think I've found my new nighttime style...at least for the time being.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Sometimes I sleep in a bun if it's very hot, but usually it hurts my neck (I can't do it on top of my head). I'm currently experimenting with making a bun behind one ear (I'm a back and side sleeper).

It's sure nice to not have to fuss with hair or a braid at night.

This is about like me.
I'm a side-sleeper, generally, every once in a while a back-sleeper.
I have trouble with buns at night, thought I'd love to do them, they always give me worse headaches.
And braids don't seem to do much to protect my hair at night, so I'm going back and forth from night to night. I can't seem to get a good routine.
:confused:

Shell
March 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Nynaeve, I have found that making a bun under my right ear (that's the side I sleep on) is great. On my back I can't feel it, I can feel it a bit on my right, but it doesn't bother me. I tried on my left, but for some reason on that side it pulled. I'm really liking this style. You could also braid to the side--I've tried that, but really my hair's too long now for that. I prefer the bun.

Elle
March 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I usually sleep with my hair in a bun. Piled way up on the top of my head so it doesn't get in the way. :grin:

theAnimeway
March 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I do a scrunchi bun, it keeps my bangs outa my face when I sleep its also very comfortable when I sleep also it adds more waves

Faepirate
March 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I wear a low bun (scrunchie) to sleep. It keeps it from tangling by morning. I sleep on my front/side so lying on it is not an issue :)

I don't like sleeping in a braid. Perhaps when it's longer I might, when it's long enough to throw out of the way, but for now I just end up completely mangling the braid by morning!

I love sleeping with my hair loose but it's just not good for my hair (I am a fidgety sleeper and even if it STARTS over my pillow, it will end up all tangled and strewn everywhere and underneath me), so I don't ever do that anymore.

Chamomile betty
March 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I have been sleeping in a bun at night.

I do try to change it up between the high bun and a braid so my scalp doesn't have too much tension.

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 08:01 PM
my friend sleeps with her hair in a bun.. she did mine once at night but i cudnt sleep with it. eventually slept with loose hair :-)