PDA

View Full Version : Hairdryer modification: 2 questions.

WavyGirl
January 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
1) Have any of you talented people ever managed to remove the heating element from a hairdryer and still had it blow air when you put it back together? I know you're not supposed to dismantle the things, but I figure some of you must have at least tried. :twisted: After all, I can't be the only one who gets fed up of holding the cool button on the rare occasions that I actually use one. Anyway, after waking up at 6am pondering this question I thought of another (well, it was too early to actually get out of bed and start the day, right?)

2) What modifications would you give to your blowfrier if the laws of physics did not need to apply? I think I'd have to go with one that meant you could dry your hair in less than a minute no matter the starting condition and walk away with perfect waves every time. Well I can dream.

ETA: This is intended as a bit of fun really. Please don't worry about me being unable to use my drier the way it is. :silly:

neon-dream
January 6th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I've never tried this, I never use a hair drier!
But it's an interesting question, someone may have the answer :).

Nat242
January 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Why not just use the cool setting?

WavyGirl
January 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
LOL, I do but I'm lazy! Neither of you answered question number 2. Does that mean you love your driers the way they are? Oh no, I'm alone in my insanity! *gibbers quietly in the corner*

darkwaves
January 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
It sounds like your hair dryer has a blast-of-cool setting that has to be held... Mine doesn't. It has three options: Hot, warm and cool. Click and go. No need to modify.

For other modifications? Well, there are diffusers, both the bowl and new hand-shaped Devafuser. Both help set the curl.

EdG
January 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'll answer #2.

One method to preclude damage due to high temperature is to put some distance between the hair dryer and your hair. The air temperature will fall off rapidly with distance.

A long time ago, I used to prop up a blow-dryer on a stand and sit five feet away. At that distance, the air was only warm. Of course, it took an hour to dry my hair. ;)
Ed

WavyGirl
January 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
darkwaves I didn't realise there were driers out there that had a permanently on cool switch. If I used mine more often I might be tempted to upgrade.

EdG That's some nice improvisation. I like it! I love you siggy too. Made me think "Darn, wish I'd thought of that." ;)

lora410
January 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Oh, I will go with your #2 suggestion as long as it gives me my waves back..lol

EdG
January 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
EdG That's some nice improvisation. I like it!I liked it too, but it had the problem that blow dryers aren't designed to run for an hour - the blow dryer eventually broke. Hair: 1, blow dryer: 0. :D

I love you siggy too. Made me think "Darn, wish I'd thought of that." ;)Thank you! :)

Admittedly, I'm only a co-author of my siggy quote, which originated from a thread on another board (http://www.mlhh.org/archive/?173456). :o
Ed

happymommy
January 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Alternative answer to #1: I ductaped the button down.

WavyGirl
January 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
lora410 it would be nice wouldn't it?

EdG I love stories where the hair wins. :cheer:

happymommy you are a genius! :graduate: Either that or I'm really dim...

may1em
January 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Alternative answer to #1: I ductaped the button down.

LOL!

For a less permanent version of this - maybe a wide rubberband around the handle that could be used to hold the button down?

AnimaSola3o4
February 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM
lol, tape the cool button down with duct tape! That's what I would do anyway....

der. teach me to read the whole thread before replying..... GMTA!

bridgetsgirl
February 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I know this is an older thread, but the mechanic in me wanted to answer, at least to question #1. With the hair dryer unplugged, I'd take apart the housing, it would probably be held together with 4-5 screws. Then it's a simple matter of removing the heating element, which is analogous to a coil on a stove. The air from the fan moves across the heating element to create hot air. I would just clip the curly heating wire out...no wire-open circuit-no heat. Then I'd close up the housing, which would keep the 2 ends of the wire from being connected and electrocuting the user.

Question #2...Well...DH says he'd make it shoot out a big long burrito, like ketchup from a bottle!:misskim:He's so weird, I love him!