PDA

View Full Version : Adam's Family Christmas

Silver & Gold
January 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I love to tell people that for Christmas this year my husband gave me a disembodied head. Since my hair isn't long enough to do many of the hairstyles I'm interested in and because even the ones within my reach are difficult to practice on my own head I thought that it would be nice if I knew someone with really long hair who would tirelessly let me sit behind her and practice styling her hair. Finding no takers I found a cosmetology head with synthetic hair that is 30" long and asked my husband to get it for me for Christmas.

I can do the most lovely 5 strand french braid and too many lovely updos to mention. I also practiced the Fairytale braid (http://www.xs4all.nl/~jbielsma/kapsalon/vlechten/fairytale.JPG) and did it on my daughter-in-law over the holidays. She loved it and wore it for the remainder of the day.

Now instead of straining my own arms, neck, etc. to practice a new updo, I try it out on Isadora first. (Yup, I named her after the dancer because I'm gruesome & tasteless. Marie Antionette first came to mind but my Isadora has black hair and Marie was fair-haired so it simply wouldn't do.)

One other side benefit is that our daughter, who has autism and sensory issues will watch me brushing and styling Isadora's hair and become more willing to have me brush and fuss with her hair. She also loves to give Isadora lots of kisses and hugs. We are the Adams Family. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL_9zdu4iVw)

nimeera
January 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Oooh! I want one! Where did you get it?

Silver & Gold
January 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Oooh! I want one! Where did you get it?

This is the one I got (http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Cosmetology-Mannequin-Head-Synthetic-Hair-Allison_W0QQitemZ310112993661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item310112993661&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318) along with this clamp. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Cosmetology-Mannequin-Head-Doll-Clamp-Holder-NEW_W0QQitemZ310111314858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item310111314858&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

mommy101405
January 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
my daughters got a dora one for christmas but its not really great for that many styles. I can french braid it though.

DragonLady
January 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Wow. I think that's awesome. :)

PseudoScot
January 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
A disembodied head, S&G, you are too cool! :rockerdud That made me laugh!

I just wanted to say that's a neat idea, you'll also be really good at doing hair for other people now, too!

Lady Verity
January 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
But the important thing is - when is he going to give you a REAL disembodied head?

Because that's true love. ;)

Darkhorse1
January 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
That's awesome! Just a few things to remember: it's easier to style someone else's hair than your own--for reasons you can figure--you don't have the dextarity on yourself than you do something/one else. However, the more you practic, the better.

I'm really glad that your daughter has also benefited from this!! I love her name--your head's name! I'm the same way. :D I name everything :D

Peggy E.
January 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
But the important thing is - when is he going to give you a REAL disembodied head?

Yeah, and she'd get to show him HER true love, as well, by visiting him in prison..... :o(

I wonder, though, if it translates easily from doing a style on a floating head v attempting a style on your own hair?

I love that Fairy Tale Braid - sure got the ends, could certainly use the rest of it!

Wanted to add: Keep your Isadora safe; no scarves anywhere her!!!!

Anje
January 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That's really cool! You'll have to fill me in -- who was the Isadora that your head is named after?

Silver & Gold
January 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
That's really cool! You'll have to fill me in -- who was the Isadora that your head is named after?

Isadora Duncan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDETQ9iwELg&feature=related) was a famous dancer who was killed whilst riding in a convertible with a long scarf about her neck which was caught in the wheel spokes, strangling her to death and very nearly decapitating her.

True, but that has already been done and I'm not taking back seat to anyone, even Salome!

That's awesome! Just a few things to remember: it's easier to style someone else's hair than your own--for reasons you can figure--you don't have the dextarity on yourself than you do something/one else. However, the more you practic, the better.

I'm really glad that your daughter has also benefited from this!! I love her name--your head's name! I'm the same way. :D I name everything :D

You know the funny thing is, I'm so used to doing my own hair that it was actually more difficult for me to learn to do it on someone else's head at first. The hair just kept wanting to slip from my grasp because I hadn't quite learned the proper hand-hold for doing someone else's hair. But I've caught on now and can easily style another's head after doing just a few styles on Isadora.
The only thing that prevents me from doing the same style on my own head is the lack of length. However I am finding that, some of the more complex braids are difficult to do on one's own head just because I can't really see to do all the sectioning. But I have very well developed fine motor skills from being a pianist, guitarist and doing things such as crocheting lace and origami. So I'm quite accustomed to such challenges. Therefore if a style can be performed on one's own head, I'm sure I'll figure out how to manage it eventually.

Silver & Gold
January 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, and she'd get to show him HER true love, as well, by visiting him in prison..... :o(

I wonder, though, if it translates easily from doing a style on a floating head v attempting a style on your own hair?

I love that Fairy Tale Braid - sure got the ends, could certainly use the rest of it!

Wanted to add: Keep your Isadora safe; no scarves anywhere her!!!!

Hee hee, too late, you know I couldn't resist finding a pretty scarf to adorn her neck.

For me, it translates pretty easily because I was already accustomed to styling my own hair. As I said in a previous post it was actually a bit of a difficulty for me to learn a different way to hold the hair on another person's head because I had never braided or styled anyone's hair but my own. But after a few updos I figure out the difference in holding the hair and I do quite nicely. The funny thing, I'll do a style on her, then turn around and do the same thing on me (if my length will allow) and I don't even think about holding the hair differently, it just sort of happens.

Bene
January 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
(Yup, I named her after the dancer because I'm gruesome & tasteless. Marie Antionette first came to mind but my Isadora has black hair and Marie was fair-haired so it simply wouldn't do.)

i think you may want to select a nice long scarf for her :D

suicides_eve
January 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
that is so neat!! great idea

LutraLutra
January 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Tee hee, what a nice story. :D I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person who gives names to objects. Do you keep her in a cupboard at night? Or does she have her own stand in your house?

GlennaGirl
January 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Silver & Gold, your entire post made me smile. I wanted to quote the parts I liked but I'd have had to quote the entire thing. And I totally get you on the autism encouragement angle...same dealio here in my household and we've done similar things...just not necessarily with plastic body parts. Thanks for making me chuckle and have fun with your Christmas head!

Silver & Gold
January 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Tee hee, what a nice story. :D I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person who gives names to objects. Do you keep her in a cupboard at night? Or does she have her own stand in your house?

Well, right now she frequents the living room. The clamp I have fits on a table I have in there and I often practice on her hair in the evening while we are watching television.

But here's another funny story. Our daughter will play with her if she finds her unattended and she's not so very gentle. So my husband will take her off the stand and put her out of our daughter's reach if he notices her messing with it when I'm not around. So recently he set it on the kitchen table. One of our grown sons lives across the street from us and I often invite him over for dinner. He comes over for dinner, a very casual dinner, spoon your food from the pot and have a seat . . . he goes to sit down and sees Isadora sitting on the table like a centerpiece. He asks if she can be removed. I tease him and tell him that I like her and she's welcome to join us for dinner. So he turns the head to face me and says, at least I don't need her watching me while I eat.

They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky. They're all together ooky . . . the ADAMS FAMILY!

backtolonghair
January 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I love to tell people that for Christmas this year my husband gave me a disembodied head. Since my hair isn't long enough to do many of the hairstyles I'm interested in and because even the ones within my reach are difficult to practice on my own head I thought that it would be nice if I knew someone with really long hair who would tirelessly let me sit behind her and practice styling her hair. Finding no takers I found a cosmetology head with synthetic hair that is 30" long and asked my husband to get it for me for Christmas.

I can do the most lovely 5 strand french braid and too many lovely updos to mention. I also practiced the Fairytale braid (http://www.xs4all.nl/~jbielsma/kapsalon/vlechten/fairytale.JPG)and did it on my daughter-in-law over the holidays. She loved it and wore it for the remainder of the day.

Now instead of straining my own arms, neck, etc. to practice a new updo, I try it out on Isadora first. (Yup, I named her after the dancer because I'm gruesome & tasteless. Marie Antionette first came to mind but my Isadora has black hair and Marie was fair-haired so it simply wouldn't do.)

One other side benefit is that our daughter, who has autism and sensory issues will watch me brushing and styling Isadora's hair and become more willing to have me brush and fuss with her hair. She also loves to give Isadora lots of kisses and hugs. We are the Adams Family. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL_9zdu4iVw)

You're so cute!:) At first I was like what?! LOL!!!
Sounds like a good idea though! My hair is too short to do to many things right now, but sometimes I try and practice on my sister. :)

Blessings!

Neoma
January 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
What a great story, Silver & Gold. I'm still smiling. I remember the story about Ms. Duncan. My mother told it to me as a cautionary tale, I think. :)