PDA

View Full Version : Fragile waves

mommy101405
January 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I have been trying to get a good hair type for myself. When I comb gently just to detangle and let it dry my hair has quite a bit of wave. Maybe a 2b/2c. But the minute I brush it or comb it, esp after its dry I go to a 1bish. I don't mind it straight b.c it does look nice (and longer:cheese:) when its straight. But I wouldn't mind keeping my waves once in a while either. Does anyone else have this problem?

Should my hair type me 2B/2C or a 1B? Or maybe a 2B/1B, lol.

Honey39
January 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I have been trying to get a good hair type for myself. When I comb gently just to detangle and let it dry my hair has quite a bit of wave. Maybe a 2b/2c. But the minute I brush it or comb it, esp after its dry I go to a 1bish. I don't mind it straight b.c it does look nice (and longer:cheese:) when its straight. But I wouldn't mind keeping my waves once in a while either. Does anyone else have this problem?

Should my hair type me 2B/2C or a 1B? Or maybe a 2B/1B, lol.

Well, if I want to keep my curls in as good a condition as possible, once they are dry DO NOT TOUCH AGAIN! Not with a comb, and definitely not with a brush. That's one of the best tips I picked up here, which is that curly hair has to be left to dry and then left alone - I think there was a very funny thread a while ago where curlies brushed out their hair to show how their hair 'boomed'!

I think you've got lovely hair, and maybe try not touching those waves/curls once your hair has dried, but just enjoy them wafting around!! :)

mommy101405
January 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I guess it just feels messy if I don't brush it but maybe its just my imagination. I will have to try leaving it alone. PUT. DOWN. THE. BRUSH. :cheese:

HairColoredHair
January 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I used to have that issue... if I didn't brush it was a horrible mess...

It just takes time and will to get over it. :)

Maybe you could try plopping to enhance the wave?

Katze
January 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
My hair does the same thing. If I want to keep the waves, I use only a wide toothed comb. If I want my hair to behave and/or be smooth, I brush it, and it kills the wave. So it is with us inbetween barely-wavies... ;)

venividibxtchy
January 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
My hair does the same thing. It goes from 2b to 1b just by the way it's handled whilst drying, and afterwards, and even what products I use or don't use.

You could always comb it so it's very smooth and tangle-free, then put it in a damp bun or a few braids to introduce some new waves.

I find even if my hair is damp bunned or braided for just a bit, then taken out to finish drying, some basic waves are preserved, without it looking unkempt or being tangly.

I wish I could find a better way, though -- I face the same trouble.

Haith
January 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have this problem too. If I comb or brush it while it's damp it looses all of its wave and becomes frizzy. I don't comb or brush, and I try (try!) not to touch it while it dries which is impossible. I don't think I have ever left it alone while it's drying... I fiddle with it.

I have pretty much accepted that my hair type is 'messy'. I always have a halo of little waves/curls and my hair does its own thing. But surprisingly, the more I let it be messy, the better it ends up looking.

rubyann
January 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I haven't used a brush on my hair in I don't know how long. I hate how frizzy it looks when it's brushed. OTOH, if I detangle while wet, or as I usually do, in the shower with conditioner in it, wrap it in a towel to remove excess moisture and then scrunch with the towel while hanging my head upside down with a little AVG, my wurlies last all day. I think that going wavy just takes some getting used to if you're used to being sleek and smooth. It's a whole other mind set!

sugar_rush
January 8th, 2009, 05:53 AM
My hair is exactly like this. :) I used to think it was straight but this forum and a new routine changed my (or its) mind. I classify it as 2a now because that's what it usually looks like when I don't touch it, no blow drying, no buns, combs, nothing. Sometimes 2b, sometimes I even get curls in some layers.

Yet the moment a comb goes through it, especially if it's only 90% dry yet - voila, straight hair. It's like if I want to keep some wave (and I do, as much as possible), I shouldn't brush it at all.
But it looks kinda messy sometimes, especially if the wave isn't very pronounced at the time.

Amoretti
January 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Toss your brush and use only a wide tooth comb. I haven't brushed in about 20 years. LOL.

You'll have to accept, however, that your hair is going to look straighter and straighter as the days in between washes go by. If you want to wear it loose mist it and scrunch it a bit. Use distilled water and a drop of jojoba oil in the bottle.

darkwaves
January 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
You'll have to accept, however, that your hair is going to look straighter and straighter as the days in between washes go by. So true.

My hair is curly enough that I can comb it thoroughly while washing (detangle during conditioning) and again as soon as I get out of the shower -- and it will still dry in curls and spirals...

But if I leave it two or three or four days without getting it wet again, the curls fly away.

Katze
January 9th, 2009, 02:51 AM
You'll have to accept, however, that your hair is going to look straighter and straighter as the days in between washes go by. If you want to wear it loose mist it and scrunch it a bit. Use distilled water and a drop of jojoba oil in the bottle.

Mine actually gets wavier and wavier, at least on the length. :confused: But I do wear it up in a claw clip (loosely piled on top of my head) these days and that seems to be making it wavier.

I thought that the extra sebum would move down the length and make hair wavier...that seems to be what's happening with me.

To the OP, I type myself as somewhere in between 1c and 2a, though I have hair as straight as 1a/1b (crown) and as wavy as 2b/2c (nape, underneath layer). After my baby comes I'm going to have to retype my hair, as pregnancy has totally changed it!

Arctic_Mama
January 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Put me in the don't-brush-or-ONLY-comb crowd. I have much more defined waves than I ever thought I had, growing up, because I always styled/brushed them out. Then, when I started using the curly girl method I thought I 'trained' my hair to curl. But lo and behold the vast majority of what I thought was fairly unnatural curling and waving WAS normal for my hair, I just had to do less to it. When it stayed even upon combing I realized that my hair type was lovely AND defined, I just had to let it be instead of trying to form it into something else.

Wavies, I think, are the most well-served by combing of all the hair types. Finger combing or leaving it alone works well with curls, and brushes add amazing sheen to straightish hair, but for all of us in-between the wide toothed comb is definitely our ally!

Amoretti
January 9th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Katze said:
Mine actually gets wavier and wavier, at least on the length. But I do wear it up in a claw clip (loosely piled on top of my head) these days and that seems to be making it wavier.

I think it gets wavier because it's not fully contained so you have your hair exposed to the damp and humidity. Mine gets straighter because it's in a tight bun and gets pulled straight. Detangling in the morning also pulls the waves out.
I think as your hair gets longer you might have to wear it in a tighter style to keep it contained.

I thought that the extra sebum would move down the length and make hair wavier...that seems to be what's happening with me.

I don't let my sebum move down the length all that much. LOL. It coats the scalp area in between washes but never moves down the length. If it did I might get more waves but I'd also look as if I'd stuck my head in a frying pan! :D Not going to happen. LOL.