PDA

View Full Version : Hair curlier underneath than on top!

nmarie33
January 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

Since joining LHC and being nicer to my hair, I am noticing that it is really becoming curly. However, most of the curliness is on the bottom layer of my hair - the top part just remains wavy at best, and stringy/gross at worst. I've tried plopping and straight-up air drying, and it doesn't seem to matter.

I'm thinking maybe the top part doesn't curl as well because it is more damaged? I guess it is more exposed to the elements, and that part of my hair probably got rougher treatment when I was still into brushing and blowdrying it straight. Is there anything I can do for it? It's so depressing!

I've tried to moisturize the hell out of it lately, but it still seems pretty dry. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. For now I just look pretty crappy with my hair down. :( Please help!

Katze
January 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
it's genetics.

My hair isn't as wavy as yours, but the most waves are underneath. I moisturize these parts more - oiling them while damp, but never, ever oil the crown.

It sounds like you are still finding what works for you and what doesn't, but having different hair textures on your head is normal, and something that many of us deal with. You just have to find what works for you.

ReddishRocks
January 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I totally know what you mean. You're probably right about the canopy being damaged. Mine got better using the no poo (aka Curly Girl) method. Instead of shampoo, I use Suave conditioner to wash (it has a mild surfactant). I also use no silicones or other things that aren't water soluble so I don't have to use harsh stuff, like sodium lauryl sulfate, that's in most shampoos. :) Might be worth a shot?

Curlsgirl
January 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
My hair is definitely curlier underneath but since it has gotten healthier is is more uniform. I don't know if that is the case with everyone or not but I know when I first came here my ends were practically straight and now they curl a lot more like the rest of my hair. My ends were damaged and dry. As I trimmed them off, it got curlier along with the rest of my canopy. I am sure a certain amount is normal too but it does seem to me that at least for me, health of the hair has a lot to do with it.

Samikha
January 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking maybe the top part doesn't curl as well because it is more damaged? I guess it is more exposed to the elements, and that part of my hair probably got rougher treatment when I was still into brushing and blowdrying it straight. Is there anything I can do for it? It's so depressing!

The funny thing is, I always figured that the reason the canopy of my hair has more wave is because of the rougher treatment. The underlayer is quite straight and gets stringy with ease, but the individual hairs are also finer - do you have a change like this with your hair? I haven't really been here long enough to see if it changes with better care, but if it feels dry, then some of it is probably due to that.

sibilum
January 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Mine is the opposite. In my late twenties my outer layers started to curl. Now my outer layers are curly, and my inside layers remain straight!

Periwinkle
January 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Damage can certainly affect the curl (or lack of curl) in your hair, though variation is totally normal.

You might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12858)interesting: it's a poll I made about the difference in curliness between underlayer and canopy. Interestingly, the most popular option was 'My canopy is straighter than my underlayer'.

holycannoli
January 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've got the same exact problem! Oftentimes I'll pull the straighter top layers away from my face to let the curly stuff show, but my top layers are so thick I think the curlies look thin and awkward. I wish I had a solution! :shrug:

Arctic
January 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
My canopy is almost straight (1c) and my underlayer is 2b. My hair used to be straight all over but after joining here and changing the way I care my hair it developed those waves. It has taken a lot of getting used to but I do love the new volume my hair has! I like to think I have best from the both worlds :D

Teakafrog
January 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Same here. At it's best, the canopy is 2C, underneath is usually a solid 3A. I've tried everything to fix the top, it just won't curl as well as the underside.

EmpressRi
January 5th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Mine is like that. At my nape it coils, the crown is more wavy, and the rest of my hair does its own thing. I just live with it. Oh, and the right side has tighter curls than the left! C'est la vie.

Cryspatus
January 6th, 2009, 02:41 AM
My hair is like that too except instead of curls it's a poofy, frizzy messy underneath. I used to just straighten my hair underneath but now I don't straighten my hair at all.

neon-dream
January 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

Since joining LHC and being nicer to my hair, I am noticing that it is really becoming curly. However, most of the curliness is on the bottom layer of my hair - the top part just remains wavy at best, and stringy/gross at worst. I've tried plopping and straight-up air drying, and it doesn't seem to matter.

My hair is like this, but with waves. I get the odd spiral undereneath my hair but more gentle waves on the top! It's never stringy and greasy though :confused:. So I don't mind it, I actually quite like it!

HennaFaerie
February 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
My hair is like that too except instead of curls it's a poofy, frizzy messy underneath. I used to just straighten my hair underneath but now I don't straighten my hair at all.
My hair is like that too. I have a very soft, shiney, crown with subtle waves. The underneath is all wirey, dull and frizzy. It's almost like extremely long pubic hair shudder:. I used to shave it off in highschool. I'm trying not to use heat styling products or chemicals anymore. Does anyone have any advice for this hair type?