PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp???? Help! :)

K_Angel
January 5th, 2009, 05:15 AM
About 2 months ago, I made the ridiculous mistake of using a semi permanent hair color on my virgin hair. I developed a bad rash. The rash seemed to subside when a new problem developed. I got shingles along my left eye and straight lined all the way to the back of my head. Talk about massive pain! Ugh! I went to the dr. he gave me the usual things for that and it did seem to get better. However, after the five weeks of actually having the shingles has passed now, I'm a little concerned at how much my scalp still itches. I have to take benedryl just to sleep because of it. And prior to this whole ordeal I never had an itchy scalp.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced it before and had any suggestions for me? Preferably things that won't trash my hair.

I know the dr. said it would take over a month to get better... but wow! Itchy head and no energy certainly is not easy to take for that long.

TIA

Girltron
January 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
The usual cures for itchy scalp are more geared toward resolving fungal or dryness type issues, rather than allergic ones.

I hate to say this, but a trip back to your doctor for something along the lines of prednisone might be your best bet.

MemSahib
January 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Have you, by chance, changed shampoos or conditioners? As much as I love what Nexxus Humectress does for my hair, my scalp goes mad when I use it. I agree that perhaps you should see your doctor if you can't get it under control soon.

K_Angel
January 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
No, haven't changed my shampoo, which is herbal and easy on my scalp.

I'm kinda leaning towards what you both have said... maybe I need to go back to the dr. again.

Thanks! :flower:

burns_erin
January 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM
In the mean time, till you can see a doc, you might try oiling your scalp. I know it sounds a bit crazy, and alot of people do NOT respond favorably. but I can tell you I do well with it. i made an oil mix originally for my dandruff but found that when I used it after using a sulfate shampoo, which is an allergy or sensitivity for me, it really helps. My favorite is grapseed oil.

Additionally, since it is winter, and everyone is running heaters, the air is likely relatively dry and that may be your scalps problem, check the rest of your skin and see if it looks dry, flaky, ashy.

Darkhorse1
January 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'd go back to your doc as your scalp may have shingles on it.

Any zinc based shampoo can ease itching--most regular dandruff shampoos contiain zinc. However, seeing as you've had a recent bout of shingles, I'd speak to your Dr before attempting anything.

I find cool water rinses very helpful when my SD flares up. Perhaps give that a try after a wash?

joyjoy
January 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
It's possible that your scalp is just fine, and the "itchy" sensation you feel may be due to damage to the nerves caused be the shingles outbreak. This is a side-effect of shingles called postherpetic neuralgia. For most people the damage and the pain associatied with it will heal, although slowly(i.e., over months, not days.) You should definitely discuss it with your doctor, as there are a variety of treatments for the pain he/she could consider, depending upon its severity.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just someone who did alot of internet reseach when my husband had a painful outbreak of shingles last year. He's all better now.

jojo
January 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
personally Id try a little monistat on it or do a few conditioner washes and see how that helps. I get psoriosis on my scalp and conditioner washes do the trick in removing the scabs and stopping the itching.

Beloved
January 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
there are topical rx anti-inflammatories especially for the scalp. this is what people with psoriasis use. you could ask your doctor about something like dermasmooth.

you could test for yourself if this is likely to help by getting cortisone extra strength OTC and trying it on part of your scalp.

there are so many things that can cause an itchy scalp, it would be good to get a doctor's opinion.

K_Angel
January 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Wow! Thanks to all for the great suggestions!!!! LHCers are the best!!! :)

I tried jojoba oil on my scalp and it got itchier after about 2 hours.... and I tried a CO wash a couple of times, but for some reason that was worse too after a couple of hours. And coconut oil on my scalp makes it burn after about 4 hours. I just received a pkg today with some sweet almond oil in it... do you think that might help????

Right now it seems optimal to wash my hair with SLES herbal shampoo then it's kinda itchy, but much better on day one, day two is the best day, and day three I have to wash my hair again because it's so itchy again. I tried a non-SLES/SLS shampoo, but it seemed to not clean enough to make it even one day without the itchies getting bad.

Can't see the dr. for a week... he's a busy guy. So all your suggestions are are so helpful!!!!! Thanks so much!!! :)

jojo
January 8th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Soapnuts are good too, my scalp has never itched since i started on these.

K_Angel
January 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Interesting... I've heard of them, but not sure what they are? Wouldn't that scratch your head to use nuts on your hair???? I"m allergic to peanuts and other nuts I've tired, do you think that would matter? How do you use them???

Girltron
January 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM
It doesn't sound like oils are the way to go. Maybe just take some Benadryl and see how that feels.

K_Angel
January 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah, sometimes I take bendryl every four hours depending on how bad it is.... it helps, but like now, it's not working great. But I know it will turn out ok, in the end! I refuse to get discouraged. :)

Beloved
January 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I"m allergic to peanuts and other nuts I've tired, do you think that would matter?

Soapnuts are a dried fruit, not a nut.

Girltron
January 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
The thing is, your scalp issue isn't sounding like it's due to the products used. It's because of a medical condition. So I doubt very much that a switch in washing method would help.

There is a topical Benadryl solution too. I think it comes in a spray form. I'm sure that would be helpful for temporary relief.

Vitamin C has antihistamine properties. It's safe, so you can load up on C in the meantime too.

Be careful of allergies, but if you're okay with them a mix of aloe gel and a TINY amount of lavender EO might be a soothing scalp rub as well.

ktani
January 8th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I pmed you.

venividibxtchy
January 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Suggestions from a seborrheic dermatitis sufferer:
- Baking soda wash.
- Sugar scrub on your scalp (crazy, but it can work).
- Scritching 1x/day.
- Try more oils - I am not crazy about jojoba, either. It's too waxy.
- Slightly diluted tea-tree oil spritzed right to your scalp and rubbed in.
- Mix of tea tree/rosemary/lavender EOs slightly diluted applied to your scalp.
- Fenugreek scalp treatment.
- Abstain from SLS for at least ONE MONTH. You're probably not going to notice a change in a day.
- Zinc supplement, plus a regular multivitamin/mineral.
- Check shampoo for other potential allergens.
- Apple cider vinegar or citric acid rinse.
- Aloe vera gel (careful with it, if you are aspirin-sensitive or aspirin-allergic).
- Henna.