PDA

View Full Version : Waist+, quick/easy

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Please. If your hair is this long - waist to hip - and you have a reliably quick and easy up-do, please describe it to me. Pictures would be great. I need help. My hair is stealing my life!

kimberlily
March 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I have no suggestions, but I'll be watching this thread with interest... I'm sort of in the same boat!

doodlesmart
March 26th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Cinnnabun with a fork. Goes up in 30 seconds holds for hours. I'll try and get some pics for you later today when I have a little time.

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
no where near as long as you SM but I love a figure of 8

freznow
March 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
In my recent complications where most of my updo's decided not to work anymore, I have discovered the equilibrium bun (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1605). It is agreeing with my current length.

Euphony
March 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
A figure 8 or infinite with a stick or Ficcare, super quick, super easy, looks nice, holds for hours with a stick and all day with a Ficcare.

AJoifulNoise
March 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
The cinnabun with clips is my go-to style. It doesn't take much time at all. Never slips on me. But, if I decide to redo it, it's really quick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March172008Upload003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/ONE.jpg

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Cinnnabun with a fork. Goes up in 30 seconds holds for hours. I'll try and get some pics for you later today when I have a little time.

Oh yes - please. I need to see exactly where you put that fork.

Cinnamon buns are always trying to become bee-butt buns for me; another little difficulty that drives me insane (a short trip, to be sure).

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thank you Joiful - I never tried the clips like that.

Hypnotica
March 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Folded up braid. Comfy and really easy to do.

Guenever
March 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I know what you mean.. I hate updos that don't work in the mornings and re-doing the same updo again and again during the day.. sometimes e.g. figure-8s and cinnabuns just won't hold!

When I'm in a hurry or off to work or something I do a KarenLynn knot/logroll.. that's probably the best description.. I don't know if it's got another name.. secured with 2 medium jaw clips (one of each side) it's quick, there's no twisting and it keeps my ends nice and smooth..

It basically starts out as a KL knot:
Holding the ponytail in one hand, making a loop upwards around your hand, bringing the length down again behind it.. and then I continue by twirling the length around the pony base until the very ends.. That's how it differs from the KL knot where you pull the ends through the hole.. (I just found that my ends like this version better...)
Now the loop hole is visible from the sides.. (you can secure it like that pressed against your head, but I found that this next step makes it more secure) Then I just twist the whole updo 90 degrees to one side to press the loop up against my head.. that way each jaw clip can grab a side of the created loop..

This is also my sleep bun =) for me, it holds like a rock..

I hope it makes sense.. I can probably post a pic tomorrow if it doesn't.. just give me a hint :)

jel
March 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM
LOL, I just answered this question on your other thread!

To recap: my quickest and most secure updos at this length (tips just past waist) are soft nautilus bun, and a high (top of head) cinnabun, held with Ketylos (corkscrew sticks).

Somewhat less quick, but also very secure, are folded French braid or braided bun held with a Ficcare maxima.

Personally, regular cinnabuns, bee butt and figure 8 buns are not very stable for me at this length.

cassie_g
March 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
My two tried and true, quick and easy up do's are a cinnamon bun with Amish hair pins and a Chinese bun. I'm having slightly spastic results with the equilibrium bun but that's only when I'm getting close to wash day. I also really like the Pinless Braided Bun. Can be found at the bottom of the page here (http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html). It works super well on my wet hair. And great on dry hair if I put an elastic on the end of the braid.

Girltron
March 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
#1: Nautilus bun, nape of the neck. Holds great with no toys. It does sometimes fall out though, so for absolute reliability:

#2 I do a little knot with one stick. I hold my hair at the nape of my neck, wrap it around my left fingers or wrist and pull a loop of hair through the hole created. Instead of pulling the loop all the way through, though, I just stick a fork/stick into that smaller loop and shove it through the bun. It holds all day, very comfortably. The ends of my hair jut out slightly on the left side of the knot, but if I do it right they don't stick out far. If your hair is longer than mine, you can wrap the ends around the bun.

Shell
March 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Ficcare fold, which is kind of like Cinnamon Hair's FT for super long hair--held with a ficcare. A celtic knot, an infinity or figure 8, or beebutt pinned to your head.

wendyg
March 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I kind of wind it around my fingers a few times and stick a fork in it - I think it's pretty close to what someone called a "soft Nautilus". But my hair is *vastly* thinner than yours. If you're a iii, you could probably fit four or five of my tails...

I also twist the length in half (like starting a log roll but full length) and then fold it under itself to make a sort-of 8 and hold that up with either a Flexi 8 or a Ficcare. But like I say, length isn't everything. I'm dealing with a very different *shape* length of hair than you are.

wg

Lixie
March 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM
A figure 8 or infinite with a stick or Ficcare, super quick, super easy, looks nice, holds for hours with a stick and all day with a Ficcare.

I second this. I've had my mid-butt length hair in a figure 8 held with a Ficcare most of the day and haven't had to even adjust it.

socks
March 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I just toss my hair up in a super sloppy cinnamon-bun-esque thing and secure it with a pair of giant plastic clips. It takes a couple seconds and it holds for up to two days, even if I sleep in it, put a shower cap over it, wear a hat, ect.

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I just toss my hair up in a super sloppy cinnamon-bun-esque thing and secure it with a pair of giant plastic clips. It takes a couple seconds and it holds for up to two days, even if I sleep in it, put a shower cap over it, wear a hat, ect.

That's just mind-boggling!

OhioLisa
March 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Figure-8s and swirly buns are my go-to styles. They hold all day and often overnight as well. :D Yeah, I'm that lazy with my hair. ;)

Xanthippe
March 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
My old stand by is a Gibraltar bun, I think it is called.

Someone posted a tutorial for it on the old LHC, but I can't find it. Basically, you wrap your hair as if you are making a bee butt bun (for me at least, it helps if the coils are a bit loose at first), ending with your ends being near your scalp. Then you stick a hair stick in the coil farthest from your scalp going outward from the center of the bee butt tower. Then you flip it over and pierce the bottom of the 'tower.' Then you flip the other part of the coil you pierced over the end of the hair stick that is now sticking out of the tower. It should make your hair like a hair slide for itself. I hope that made sense. I could try to take pictures or find the old tutorial if you want. My hair won't really stay put with any other type of bun.

Tapioca
March 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I also twist the length in half (like starting a log roll but full length) and then fold it under itself to make a sort-of 8 and hold that up with either a Flexi 8 or a Ficcare. But like I say, length isn't everything. I'm dealing with a very different *shape* length of hair than you are.

wg

I do something very similar to this. I twist the whole length, like I'm going for a french twist, but after turning it all downwards, I just let the ends poke out the bottom instead of trying to tuck them in. (A french twist on me is almost the size of my head.) I can secure it with a slide (a flexi-8 would probably work), a large claw clip, or two sticks or a fork inserted in the top.

angelthadiva
March 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Braids--Either English or French, (occasionally Dutch) Chinese Braided Bun, or wrapped bun or pony tailed braids, are my standard "I don't have time to do anything else" hair dos...All of these, I can do in about 5 minutes...With the exception of the Chinese Braided Bun...That one I can do in less than 10 minutes...Given the fact that my hair is already tangle free. :D

My hair is pretty thick, so if I attempt a Figure 8 or Infinity...I always have to pull my hair back into a pony tail first. I need something to help anchor the style; otherwise it will tilt and fall out.

beadedbudgie
March 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I second the Gibraltar bun. This has been my standby bun for the past couple of months.

This site (http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html) has good directions for it, imho. You just have to scroll down just a bit to get to the tutorial.

MusingFrog
March 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm going to third the Gibraltar bun. I don't do it too often, but if I can't get anything else to work that will hold like a rock. I'd also do that if I knew I was going to be out hiking or riding a roller coaster or something.

salamander
March 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Infinity buns stay really well for me, even if I'm just holding them with a pencil. I also have a set of forks, and if I put them both in a bun, it really doesn't come out, so two forks is a good option.

Alley Cat
March 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I pretty much have 2 hair styles a cinnamon with a ficarre and a ponytail , real lazy I know. :shrug:

Raederle
March 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I second the Gibraltar bun. This has been my standby bun for the past couple of months.

This site (http://www.io.com/%7Ecortese/hair/styling.html) has good directions for it, imho. You just have to scroll down just a bit to get to the tutorial.

Well, no wonder that site has good directions for it. That is Cortese's site, and she's the one who named the Gibralter.

wimsey
March 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
harpgal taught me a bun at the meet in Portland that has become my regular. First, make an English braid, tie it off with an elastic, and wet the ends. Then, stick a hairstick horizontally through right where the braid starts. Take the braid and bring it up and wind it over the hairstick to the left. Keeping it under the stick and keeping the braid flat against your head, bring it around like a cinnamon bun and tuck the ends and the elastic under the bun. It is held in place by the pressure of the hairstick, so a firm stick works better than a flexible one. It is very easy to redo if it slips out.

The other bun that stays well for me is a chinese bun held in place with a scrunchie around the outside.

I usually just wear an English braid, though.

peacecat3
March 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Spidermom, my almost-hairtwin, I'm loving the inside out bun. Make a beebutt bun, but take the topmost coil, losen it enough to work it around the bottom of the bun, and drive a stick or fork through that new outter coil.

I've also been doing a modified 8-finity bun: make a beebutt bun, take the topmost coil and flip it out, then take the next coil and flip it out, so you have three coils making the bun. then take a stick or fork and pin it through the two flipped-out coils, grabbing some scalp hair in between.

Pics because I myself don't understand what I say without some sort of a graphic:

Inside out bun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/peacecat3/01-16-08.jpg

Mutant 8-finity bun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/peacecat3/10-22-07bun.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/peacecat3/10-05-07.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/peacecat3/2007-12-30.jpg

The mutant 8-finity looks different each time, which is cool. Both these buns hold like rocks for me. These buns hold so well, in fact, that I have to be careful to make them loose enough, to avoid torquing and getting a sore spot on my scalp! If my scalp is sore anyway, I snood it, or do a segmented ponytail or braid.

Siamese
March 27th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Spidermom, I find the half up/down ponytail quick and easy. I don't pull the tail all the way through, thus creating a loop. I leave the ends out or braid or wrap around the hairband. It won't last all day but the effect can be nice with whispy strands floating about the neck and shoulders. You can tie the pony as high as you like and pull the ends through for the preferred loop effect.

Just as an aside, it's interesting how the camera captured my dark hair on one angle and the whites on another. Same head of hair - both taken within 1 minute of each other.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2010/2365274771_12067641bb_o.jpg___http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2365274807_7513469df4_o.jpg___

harpgal
March 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
harpgal taught me a bun at the meet in Portland that has become my regular. First, make an English braid, tie it off with an elastic, and wet the ends. Then, stick a hairstick horizontally through right where the braid starts. Take the braid and bring it up and wind it over the hairstick to the left. Keeping it under the stick and keeping the braid flat against your head, bring it around like a cinnamon bun and tuck the ends and the elastic under the bun. It is held in place by the pressure of the hairstick, so a firm stick works better than a flexible one. It is very easy to redo if it slips out.
I wear this style nearly every day. It is quick, easy, and stays. Spidermom, I wish you had been there to see this done. However, I will be back to your neck o' the woods in late summer/early fall. I'll show you how to do this at that time. Hang in there!

Also at waist, I used a claw clip a lot. It was a life saver in getting my hair off my neck.

happylynngilmer
March 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Celtic buns hold for me like no other bun. This is my go-to bun. I hold it with a stick.

Cinnamon buns also turn into Bee Butts for me. I just can't figure it out, and bee butts looks retarded on my tiny head LOL

I think I'm going to try the equilibrium bun though, that looks awesome :}

Amnell
March 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
spidermom, try this bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZs5o6MKjUM&feature=user) you can secure it with a stick or a fork, too
holds very well.
My hair is shorter than yours, it should work for you

spidermom
March 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Wow Amnell - that was quick and easy. I tried it immediately and secured it with a stick. So far so good. We'll see if it still feels secure and comfortable in an hour. (I hope so!)

Poppy Seed
May 13th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Gibraltar bun as Cortese calls it is my default style. One stick or fork or big ficcarre holds it no matter what.

(I always think of it as a 'locking' bun - I think I first saw it described as that by Cortese on the old LHC - because of the way the first coil you make locks everything else in place.)

To add variety, just plait the tail instead of twisting.
Actually, at almost classic it takes longer to plait than it does to put up in a straight gibraltar!

Having looked at the link Amnell put in, that doesn't look so very dissimilar to the Gibraltar - or at least the way I do it.

frizzinator
May 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Spidermom, back on page one, I think you asked to see the cinnamon bun held with a fork. I have 2 photos to show you. In both cases the fork is inserted like a stick, in that you start the fork going in the wrong direction, then flip the fork to insert in the correct direction. And in both cases, the fork basically pierces a coil, then it slides under the scalp hair and exits through a coil on the other side of the bun.

The first one is the Gibraltar bun, the link to the instructions were posted in this thread by Beadedbudgie. The hairtoy goes into the second coil from the outside, and exits from that same coil on the other side of the bun, thus you can use a shorter hairtoy: (in this photo, it looks like the fork is exiting from the outside coil, but my hair in the outside coil moved over the ends of the prongs)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/42708035.jpg

This second photo shows how you can use a longer fork. Insert it in the outside coil, and it exits from the outside coil. If my cinnamon bun is loose (as it is in this photo), I will also pick up a little bit of hair from the inside coils as I'm shoving the fork next to my scalp, before exiting through the outside coil on the other side of the bun.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/51008008.jpg

Ursula
May 13th, 2008, 05:40 AM
It varies a lot depending on the exact length of my hair. A cinnamon roll held with sticks or a fork, a bee-butt held with a scrunchie, a figure-8, an infinity, a log roll, or a dutch braid base braided bun are all reliable, but which one goes up and stays up the most reliably changes every couple of inches.

Right now, it is cinnamon roll with a fork, before my last trim, or an infinity, it was a log roll or inside-out bun.

But it really requires trying a few, seeing what works, and anticipating that in a month or two, you might have to experiment again.

BlndeInDisguise
May 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Oh yes - please. I need to see exactly where you put that fork.

Cinnamon buns are always trying to become bee-butt buns for me; another little difficulty that drives me insane (a short trip, to be sure).

It helps if you keep the palm of your on the already-formed-part of the bun as you're wrapping with the other hand. That way it doesn't come up and allow the other hair under it, if that makes any sense.

Concentrate on putting the hair that you're currently wrapping on the SIDE.

Also, it helps if you get the first twist nice and flat and solid, that way you don't have to pull the hair as you're twisting it so much, which causes it to go under and form a bees butt. :)

tiny_teesha
May 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM
__http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2365274807_7513469df4_o.jpg___

:agape:........:thud::applause:shocked:

I tend to do a braided bun if it isn't mentioned, then i put around it a giant fluffy scrunchy type tie to hide the taper and make it look bigger!

Iylivarae
May 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I do the bun Guenever mentioned, the KL-bun. It actually holds pretty well, except for if I have to run down the stairs to the railway station (219 steps), then it opens up... too bad, but I do it again in the train...

flapjack
May 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'll put it in a ponytail, twist it and then wrap it into a simple bun and then pin or clip it. Or a braid (I know that's not quite as fast but after awhile, I get pretty fast at braiding if I don't care if it's a bit sloppy) and then bun it from there.

Anything else done quickly doesn't really stay.

Sherri
May 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
In my recent complications where most of my updo's decided not to work anymore, I have discovered the equilibrium bun (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1605). It is agreeing with my current length.
I would love to see a pic of this bun if anyone has one.

dancingbarefoot
May 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Ol' Reliable! (Yeah, I know, dorky name. :wink:) I can put my hair up in 5-10 seconds most of the time, and it holds very well. One of these days I'll get around to posting instructions. :silly:

frizzinator
May 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
The Equalibrium bun:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/42208007-1.jpg

Wavelength
May 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Inside-out bun is the one I do most frequently now. If I insert the stick between the inner and outer coils it holds like a rock. Sometimes I use a flexi-8 to secure -- easy way to dress it up a little.

peacecat, I'm going to have to try that mutant infinity bun of yours. That looks pretty cool! It also looks kinda close to what I get when I try to do a heart bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3cmT8GfL0), which is another standby for me. It holds really well if the stick you're using is flat instead of rounded.

Nightshade
May 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Equilibrium Bun :) (link in siggy, with pics and video).

It was actually easier for me to do this at waist than at tailbone.

spidermom
May 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Equilibrium Bun :) (link in siggy, with pics and video).

It was actually easier for me to do this at waist than at tailbone.

It definitely holds like a rock, but it's tight. I can only tolerate it for a couple of hours.

Nightshade
May 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
It definitely holds like a rock, but it's tight. I can only tolerate it for a couple of hours.

You can make it a bit looser. Give it a few more tries, I promise you'll find the balance for that one :) If it's too tight, put the stick through the loop the opposite direction so you're unwinding it as you stick it the stick through the bun, not tightening it.

/hopes that makes sense.

Kittee
May 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Afraid that I am pretty boring but my standard figure-8 with fork is a almost everyday occurrence at my house.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=10282

Ursula
May 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM
It also looks kinda close to what I get when I try to do a heart bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3cmT8GfL0), which is another standby for me. It holds really well if the stick you're using is flat instead of rounded.

Thanks for posting the link to the heart bun. I hadn't heard of it before. I gave it a try yesterday, and it seems quite stable.

It eats more length than a cinnamon roll, without the center coil doing the best it can to evade hairsticks positioned to hold the outer coil, and it is better balanced around the anchor point than a figure-8 or infinity, which tends to put a lot of the bulk off to one side of the starting anchor point.

TammySue
May 14th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I have to learn how to do the Heart Bun! Thanks for posting that one! :love:

blue_nant
May 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Love that infinity. Usually does not bump the headrest of my truck! Woot! Easy, holds really good. Use a strong stick, no plastic, lol

spidermom
August 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Bumping this thread for the LHCer with the waist length blues.

Soniasonia
August 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
All I do is wrap it in a bun and secure with a regular claw clip.

Chromis
August 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
My standards are the log roll or the Ficcare braid for rock solid no fuss put it up and forget it styles.

I don't have a good log roll shot, but here's the Ficcare braid one I took a bit ago for another thread held with a slide:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2742265794_66da619051.jpg

I'm pretty sure the instructions for the Ficcare braid are also on Cortese's site and the log roll ones are in the articles section.

Edit: Because I can't resist fooling around with my camera, here's what a log roll looks like when done with less than kneelength hair. It looks about the same as it did when I was closer to your length as well:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/2787099369_9e06a6c427.jpg

Little_Bird
August 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Spidermom, I don't really have any suggestions, but I have to say!

YOUR HAIR LOOKS SO BEAUTYFULL!!! From your older pictures I couldn't tell how long, luxurious and beautyfull it is!!
Congratulations! :flower:

I do have to say, tough, that when I am in class seasons I always braid my hair every morning, and I simply don't need to care about it anymore during all day! I think I can call it my go style... lol

It's all I can suggest: a plain or english braid!! To me it's wonderfull!

Ndnlady
August 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Everyone's hair in this thread is very beautiful!:) My ol' reliable is the cinnamon bun. What I have found to make a cinnamon bun that does not turn into a bee butt bun is when you start to coil your hair for the cinnamon bun don't do it extra tight to start with, coil it a little bit loosley, enough so that when you coil it around your bun that the coil is going against the scalp and hold it there. Then when you are getting down to the last about quarter length of your hair make it tighter behind the looser coils until the ends are tight behind the cinnamon bun. Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone but that is how I have found my cinnamon buns to last all day nice and tight and still looking nice by the end of a long stressful work day!
I also find log rolls with my ficcare very fast and easy to do!

intothemist1999
August 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Waist-length, here.

I think there was one called "The Easy Hairstick" bun on the dead board. I found it worked well for me but ONLY if I used a fork -- it held for ages! I haven't done it for quite some time.

Recently I've been experimenting with the Chinese bun again. I find if I do it very LOOSE, not only does it give me a big bun (which I prefer) I just need a couple of pins to keep it in place. My latest variation to the experiment is putting a scrunchy or other interesting elasticized 'tail holder right around the bun (stretching it over the stick). I find that helps it hold much better.

frizzinator
August 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Everyone's hair in this thread is very beautiful!:) My ol' reliable is the cinnamon bun. What I have found to make a cinnamon bun that does not turn into a bee butt bun is when you start to coil your hair for the cinnamon bun don't do it extra tight to start with, coil it a little bit loosley, enough so that when you coil it around your bun that the coil is going against the scalp and hold it there. Then when you are getting down to the last about quarter length of your hair make it tighter behind the looser coils until the ends are tight behind the cinnamon bun. Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone but that is how I have found my cinnamon buns to last all day nice and tight and still looking nice by the end of a long stressful work day!
I also find log rolls with my ficcare very fast and easy to do!

Ndnlady, that is a wonderful description!

HairColoredHair
August 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I use three 'wavelength pins'... One pins the first loop to my head and the other two hold the outer curls.

Darkhorse1
August 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
The easiest style I do is the 'scrunchie bun'.

I take a scrunchie (large/stretched out) and wrap my hair into a ponytail. However, on the last twist that will make your hair tight, don't pull the length totally through. Instead, wrap it around the scrunchie, then tuck it under after wrapping--option of using a ficarre/fakkare or clip to secure is possible if you can't find the scrunchie after wrapping all your hair around it. I find this a great style at the barn/after riding etc. A quick, simple do that you can do with your hands/no brush/comb needed.

embee
August 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
I used the equilibrium bun almost exclusively at waist length. However, to keep it stable all day long, I made the ponytail *using an elastic* . My MeiFa sticks were the only Real Hairtoys I had then, and they held this excellently. :)

brightonwoman
August 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM

I do my buns with bobby pins. I twist it until it loops the first time, then put in a couple of pins to hold the center to my head...then I twist up the second loop and pin that. So the center doesn't pop out. (I presume that's what you mean by a bee-butt bun? That is a fabulous description :lol)

I also do a lot of figure-8s with a leather loop/stick thing...I dont' know what they're called. i've seen them called 'stick barrettes' but I don't know if that's the official name or not...just where a stick goes through the back and there's a leather piece around the front with a hole in each end for the stick...hope that made sense. :)

Boudicca
August 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Chinese braided bun. Quick and secure, but reasonably 'dressy'.

Ndnlady
August 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Ndnlady, that is a wonderful description!

Thank you!:) :cheese: I was hoping it was clear enough!:)

Kimberly
August 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
My go-to style is a figure-8, usually held with a Quattro starlight fork, or sometimes with a single stick.

arylkin
August 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I am a few inches away from waist length (grow hair! grow!)- but I had to show a pic of my amazing success!

I just yesterday figured out how to do an infinity bun (thanks to THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxnSf8gL1zE)fantastic you tube video), so this morning before work I quickly wound my hair up into one- stuck it with a couple hairsticks and it was secure all day!

Here's a picture taken when I got home from work nine hours later (while there are a few hairs out of place, but I can't believe how well it held all day with just two hairsticks):
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/Arylkin/100_2695.jpg

I don't think I've ever had a more secure and quick updo. :)

.Amanaka.
August 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
One of my go-to styles is a faux crown braid. I start one braid off to the side, wrap it around my head, and then pin. The weight is distributed very well, and I don't have to mess with it for the rest of the day.

OR Cowgirl
August 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
My current go-to bun is the Lazy Wrap Bun, found in the Articles section. Holds comfortably all day with one stick. And it's very quick to do! I also love Amoretti's Wrapped Hairstick bun, there is a link to her tutorial in her blog. I think both of theses styles would work between waist and hip length.

Mariah

intothemist1999
August 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I use three 'wavelength pins'...

HCH, what's a "wavelength pin"?

TIA!

intothemist1999
August 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I just yesterday figured out how to do an infinity bun (thanks to THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxnSf8gL1zE)fantastic you tube video), so this morning before work I quickly wound my hair up into one- stuck it with a couple hairsticks and it was secure all day!

Wow, your hair is beautiful!

The thing about so many videos I've seen is that the person goes at full tilt (and usually not explaining as they go). She goes from twist to up to the head so fast, that her camera-person hardly keeps up! They lost me at that point :)

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM

The thing about so many videos I've seen is that the person goes at full tilt (and usually not explaining as they go). She goes from twist to up to the head so fast, that her camera-person hardly keeps up! They lost me at that point :)

I find myself hitting pause-play-pause-play-pause-play just to slow them down sometimes. Then I'll rewind and repeat the manual slowdown. What makes it harder is that I learn best if I can do the style on myself along with them. And I can't do that if I need one hand to click buttons. Sometimes I eventually "get it", sometimes...well, I'll learn the style another day. :o

Gabrielle
August 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Right now my favorite updo is made with a thin, hair-safe covered elastic and a Frances Luxe large cutout clip. Make a high doubled ponytail so that if you hold up the loop behind your head it extends 2 or 3 inches above the back of your head. This should leave several inches of hair unconfined hanging under the ponytail. Holding up the loop, twist it once or twice and start to tightly bind the ponytail with the unconfined length, wrapping it towards the loop. Once you finished binding the ponytail then clip it above the elastic to back of head. You can fan out the top of the loop if desired. This style stays all day for my layered hip length hair, is always neat and professional looking too. Sorry but I don't take pictures and have no one to help me with that.

arylkin
August 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks!

I have to watch her videos (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=isaetno) many times to get an updo and pause them as well (as danacc mentioned) and try to do the steps as she does them.

Nightshade
August 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
My current go-to bun is the Lazy Wrap Bun, found in the Articles section. Holds comfortably all day with one stick. And it's very quick to do! I also love Amoretti's Wrapped Hairstick bun, there is a link to her tutorial in her blog. I think both of theses styles would work between waist and hip length.

Mariah

Off topic, but what sort of bun is that in your avatar? (My apologies if someone else asked this and I missed it!)

intothemist1999
August 25th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I have to watch her videos (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=isaetno) many times to get an updo and pause them as well (as danacc mentioned) and try to do the steps as she does them.

The good news is I checked some of her other vids and tried out the Infinity Bun, and actually got it to work, for the first time! I've had it in for several hours while out-n-about, and so far, so good!

spidermom, have you tried putting your hair in a ponytail before starting a 'do? I find it makes alot of difference to some styles that just won't hold for me, otherwise. Even on ones that WILL stay up, I find that the elastic'ed part of the hair helps sticks stay in place, as well as claw-type clips.