PDA

View Full Version : Updos with the most staying power. :)

CaraLynn
January 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I recently got a job as a nanny/tutor...I start tomorrow! So since I should like to avoid as much damage to my hair as possible without always having to stop and put it back up...tell me, LHC, what hairdos stay up alll day even through sledding, and going to the park, etc.??

TIA

OhioLisa
January 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I really don't have a problem with updos falling. My faves though would be either a figure 8 or a swirly bun. Braids are great for busy days too.

AJoifulNoise
January 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM
The style I find that never budges:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/February222008Upload007.jpg

A cinnabun with little clips all around the edge. I can jump, rock out, clean, run... That sucker never moves.

Bene
January 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
lazy wrap bun and the nautilus bun. they hold up really well, without having to fix them or adjust them during the day.

by the way, i just learned how to do the nautilus bun :D i found a video with someone doing it with the other hand, and now it makes sense. yay for me!

MusingFrog
January 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I think most of the popular styles people talk about on here are pretty fool proof for everyday where and tear. That is after all why people wear them a lot. I'd suggest going to the articles section, where lots of different styles are shown, and try a bunch out. Often, the trick for a secure updo is not changing to a new style, but learning how to work with your own hair and the tools you have to your best advantage.

I personally find that the inside-out bun (or nautilus bun) works especially well for my own hair. I routinely wear it all day long; it only has to be redone if I feel like laying down with it in my hair.

eadwine
January 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
A braided nautilus bun secured with a ficcare maximas. Works for me every day with all the crazy moving that I do at work :lol:

logica_divina
January 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I think that depends on a person really... For example, for some a lazy wrap bun stays the whole day, while I personally find that I have to redo it every 3-4 hours or so. I personal fav is cinnabun!

BittSweetCherry
January 5th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Nautilus bun, with a large U-pin (mine's a double-ending sock knitting needle). I tie my hair back, sleep on it, get up and work a nine hour shift and it still hasn't budged AND looks immaculate (except for a few wispies) 24 hours later.

I think the longest it has stayed in is three full days with one U-pin and two bobby pins. If you get the tension just right, it is rock solid.

And it is a very stereotypical nanny look :p

Bene
January 5th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Nautilus bun, with a large U-pin (mine's a double-ending sock knitting needle). I tie my hair back, sleep on it, get up and work a nine hour shift and it still hasn't budged AND looks immaculate (except for a few wispies) 24 hours later.

I think the longest it has stayed in is three full days with one U-pin and two bobby pins. If you get the tension just right, it is rock solid.

i'm in complete awe of your epic bun abilities :bowtome:

sapphire-o
January 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM
None of my updos have much staying power until I clamp a Ficcare on it. :D If you don't have a Ficcare, use multiple claw clips or those "fakkare" clips by Goody. I use two fakkares on my hair for swimming, they hold like glue. Although I'm not sure if wearing the same style all day can be comfortable enough. So far I only have a couple styles that I can wear for a long time without discomfort. They're all low buns. You have to experiment to find what's best for your hair and scalp. If you work with small children, you might want to avoid hairsticks and forks that are sharp.

Girltron
January 5th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Second on the Ficcare, I recall it holds madly if you buy the right size for your hair.

My all-day foolproof one is the Nautilus held with two sticks. If you put it up high on your crown, it'll be out of the way and won't get fiddled with, plus it'll balance better for you.

Option #2 that's a lot more protective is to french or dutch braid the whole thing with a ribbon, then tuck the braid tail back up underneath the part on the back of your head. Snake the ribbon back up underneath with the braid, then criscross the ribbon back down the braid and tie at the bottom. Here's a link, because I described that badly:

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/lhtuck.htm

That braid is what I wear at fencing tournaments. There's no way that sucker is coming out, and plus no kiddies can tug on it.

catapia
January 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The style I find that never budges:

A cinnabun with little clips all around the edge. I can jump, rock out, clean, run... That sucker never moves.

I do this same style, and I agree, it holds really well :)

nimeera
January 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Any sort of bun (braided or not) secured at four corners and the middle by those little clamps made for "fine hair". They hold tight, and are lined on the inside with some sort of non-slip rubber. I like to use a small butterfly for the middle, and small clamps on the side.

You can also use the little octopus clamps, lined with rubber.

I would hesitate using sticks around small children. Not only do the sticks sometimes get knocked or caught when dodging under branches and tables and things, but also the kids always seem fascinated with them. I can never keep a stick in around kids because they sneak up behind me and pull them out!

Curlsgirl
January 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Any sort of bun (braided or not) secured at four corners and the middle by those little clamps made for "fine hair". They hold tight, and are lined on the inside with some sort of non-slip rubber. I like to use a small butterfly for the middle, and small clamps on the side.

You can also use the little octopus clamps, lined with rubber.

I would hesitate using sticks around small children. Not only do the sticks sometimes get knocked or caught when dodging under branches and tables and things, but also the kids always seem fascinated with them. I can never keep a stick in around kids because they sneak up behind me and pull them out!

Oh I hadn't thought of that but you are right! Of course if a kid is going to pull a hairstick or toy out you have more serious problems than falling hairstyles! :) I would say a braided bun or a figure 8. Also a bun toward the top of my head clipped with little claw clips all around works very well and is very comfortable for all day. You could also do a folded braid anchored with a Ficcare or something.

AprilElf
January 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM
For me, the best holding updos would be: Figure-8, Celtic Knot, Gibraltar Bun, Orchid Wrap.

sahiba
January 5th, 2009, 10:33 PM
i'm in complete awe of your epic bun abilities :bowtome:

:bigeyes: I know , who could believe that one bun could stay rock solid for such a long time.
And as for me, I feel that any bun secured nicely with a toy like Ficcare or a nice stick should hold well especially if your hair is lightly oiled.

Tressie
January 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Good advice here Caralynn, I just wanted to say, "congratulations on your job"!

I hope you like everything about it! Someone may have already suggested a folded braid?

God Bless!