PDA

View Full Version : Crazy hair

Almandine
January 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
What matters most when requesting advise, for future reference, is type of hair (straight, curly, wavy, frizzy, and texture: thick, medium, fine extra fine) and hair care: products, how detangle, how wash, how one dries their hair.Hmm, okay. Well, my hair is both wavy and frizzy - I finally figured out my "hair type" to put in my profile information, see left - and by frizzy, I mean oh god. So frizzy. So crazy. Both my parents have hair like this, except that my mum has genuine curly hair, making mine even worse. Here's a photo of myself four years ago (ah, I remember the braces), demonstrating what my hair did when I went outside after Hurricane Rita. It was untreated by anything.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1592/43/103/1382876509/n1382876509_30217538_2242.jpg

That happened after just walking around outside for about twenty minutes. Unbelievable. I can tell you it has not improved.

Right, so products. I had to try a lot of shampoos and conditioners to find one that worked, and I've clung desperately to it because I just don't know anything that works better. I use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine (and the Colour Treated version when I dye my hair) shampoo and conditioner, along with the de-frizzing serum from the same line. I shampoo once, maybe twice if I have been doing something grimy, and condition every time; I have to condition or my hair just won't be presentable, so I never skip.

My hair reacts unspeakably to hair dryers (I tried once - NEVER AGAIN) and towel drying just makes it frizz like nuts, so I don't do either. I gently squeeze the water out of my hair after I turn the shower off, then I let it air dry a little bit while I brush it, with a towel on the floor to catch the water. (I've noticed that you guys frown on brushing while wet, so I suppose I shall buy a comb.) I brush it through, gently - since the conditioner and finger-brushing during the rinse seem to keep it in mostly tangle-free shape in the shower, usually - and then apply the de-frizz shine serum to the brush itself, brushing through again so it gets on all the hair. Then i put it up in whatever style I'm wearing that day, and I hold the can at arm's length and barely mist with weakish hairspray, once again to tame the frizz. This is the only procedure I have ever used that gets my hair to BEHAVE. I still can't wear it down the same day I wash it, except maybe in the evening. It's too wet and nothing dries it without aggravating it except sitting in a bun or braids.

When it's dry, having been washed and styled the previous day or morning, I can shake it out and it will be nice (sig pic is an example). But if it's untreated with the defrizzer (which I do only apply after a shower, no other time) or if I have to use a different shampoo for some reason, the above picture is the result! Also, after some time, especially outside, frizz rises once again from the loose hair, and bothers me greatly.

I've never used any straighteners or curlers, and only once have I had that brief encounter with a hairdryer, whichtangled me so badly it ended in less than five minutes, so i don't think it did any heat damage. I've never bleached, or been to a salon where they do relaxers or anything. My hair's still soft, and seems nice to me and to other people - but it's mental, and honestly I think it could be better. I don't know about oils, or how to properly "treat" my hair so far as caring for it - I always just washed it, brushed it and put it up. I never knew it was all so elaborate! So, I'm asking for some help and pointers on my hair woes.

I think that's everything... Sorry for the long, rambling post, but you guys know far more about hair than I do, and I'd like to improve my habits. :)

Aisha25
January 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think you need moisture your hairs looks thirsty to me. You can try honey theres so many recipes to try you can do easy one first honey and conditioner use it before shower for an hour or more if you can. Also when you use shampoo dilute with some water in your hand then apply to scalp gently this should help some. Dont touch it till its dry and maybe finger comb them or use a wide tooth comb gently when there dry. You can oil them to when there drying from hair wash just a little bit will do and should help alot.

OhioLisa
January 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Do you have a pic of your hair now on your current routine? It might help us to help you. :)

girlcat36
January 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM
This looks like my hair used to get!

Step away from the serums!! :run:

Your hair is fine and dry. The silicones in the serums are choking the life out of your hair. You have hair that doesn't like shampoo and desperately needs moisture.
I recommend going cone-free.
Your hair probably doesn't like the tap water you wash it with. I bought a 10.00 Brita pitcher and use that water for my final rinse. It helps.
Glad to answer any more specific questions, if you have enough posts check my progress album for before and after pics.

Roseate
January 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I think switching from brush to comb may help you- my hair gets way more frizzy when I brush it. If I don't brush it at all, comb only when wet and give it plenty of moisture, I can just about keep it down. Daily oiling (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71) also helped me a lot- I don't use cones anymore, and I like the feel of my hair much more.

My hair also loves this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) defrizzing spray recipe. If it starts to look crazy, I spritz a bit of that and it does help.

My hair still loves to expand sometimes, but it's getting better!

Copasetic
January 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Washing your hair less often can be a big help. And you might want to try a gentler shampoo, like a shampoo bar. I would also recommend coconut oil. It did wonders for my hair.

Almandine
January 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you all for your advice; I'm making a little list of your suggestions so I can try them out and see what gives me good results. And I'll definitely buy that comb.

Do you have a pic of your hair now on your current routine? It might help us to help you. :)

I would take one, but my camera runs on AAA batteries and we are out, and the ones in it are dead. I will have some tomorrow afternoon, so I'll add a picture then and you can make a verdict. :)

The picture in my signature (finally got it to work) is the most recent photo of my hair from behind, and that was from sometime in the beginning of last year. I did use the same exact care and products I do now, and got all the same results, so for now... that's the picture I've got. I hope the picture I put up tomorrow won't have you all screaming in horror...

Tangles
January 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
My hair goes frizzy when I venture south of the Mason-Dixon line.

For some reason, in some regions of the country I need to use coney shampoos (not conditioners, SHAMPOOS) to really get my hair clean and soft. In other areas, the opposite is true and I can only use cone free. I suspect it has something to do with the kind of water used.

I do find that the kind of shampoo and dish you use makes a major, major difference in hair texture when you're in the 2a range.

Some people have had success with water only (WO). There are searchable threads about this method.

snowbird
January 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Maybe I'm biased as per crazy hair...but I think your hair looks great in the above photo! and it's so long! sort of wild and romantic...

Almandine
January 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have batteries for my camera now; what kind of picture would help you best? One of it all from behind me, or some of it held up in my arm, or... what? Say the word and I'll snap a few. :)