PDA

View Full Version : spin-off: do we all like our hair and keep it healthy for ourselves?

Speckla
January 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I find it immensely attractive when it's at its healthiest. I can't keep my hands off it. :eyebrows:
________
MERCEDES-BENZ W120/121 HISTORY (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W120/121)

Speckla
January 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I do. I like my hair and it's for me alone to enjoy. (my husband does too but it's not growing out to attract anyone's attention).
________
Bmw sauber f1.08 history (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Sauber_F1.08)

Sissy
January 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
yes, I LOVE my hair when it's looking healthy and sleek... unfortunately I don't have a good routine sorted out yet since quitting heat styling. So, some days it looks good, others bad. With my hair I never know what I'm going to get.

I do it for me because it's what I like and what I'm comfortable with. I just wouldn't feel like myself with short hair. My husband also LOVES my hair, which makes me feel even better about it! It's important to me that he likes my hair.

Calista
January 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
What does s/o mean?

Anje
January 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm growing my hair because I want to, pure and simple. DH never told me that he wanted me to have long hair (or short hair, or curled hair, etc.), but I like it this way.

One evening, I did corner him... asked what length he liked best on me, of all the lengths (shoulder to tb) he's seen me with. He likes it best now. :D

lapushka
January 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Like? I don't know. Maybe when it's longer, maybe then I'll like it again (still haven't recovered from that dye accident - had to chop off all my almost BSL length hair). It's at that difficult stage called shoulder length right now and I hate it. I only grow for myself.

Almandine
January 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I've only ever done it for myself. Long hair just feels right, I've never genuinely wanted a change. I do get harassed by people in public, though, when they discover I'm not growing it out so I can cut it off for Locks of Love. They tell me I'm selfish... As if it's a crime to want to KEEP my hair!

BranwenWolf
January 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I've only ever done it for myself. Long hair just feels right, I've never genuinely wanted a change. I do get harassed by people in public, though, when they discover I'm not growing it out so I can cut it off for Locks of Love. They tell me I'm selfish... As if it's a crime to want to KEEP my hair!

You too, huh? I seem to be in a hair hater area. Everyone tells me I should cut it or asks me why I don't. After nearly a lifetime of this I'm out of polite replies.
(I really don't get the long hair = selfish thing, either)
In an odd way all the rude remarks I get just make me want to grow it more.

For my first 17 years my hair was part of who I was. I got tired of it and cut it to just shoulder length and donated. Now it's growing out again because I like it that way and it's different.

RavennaNight
January 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm growing my hair for me. I have never had really long hair before, and I want to see what it's like to get to waist and beyond. How far beyond is up in the air, since the dyeing/frying damage that was done is a fact that I know may hamper my efforts at some point. It still keeps growing, though, so thats a plus. But yeah, strictly for my own enjoyment.

neon-dream
January 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yes :)
I do it to make myself happy with it

Roseate
January 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I would say it's mostly for me, but if I'm being completely honest I'll admit that part of the reason I like longer hair on me is all the compliments I get on it. I have thick wavy hair, and it looks better the more there is of it. People notice. I like that.

Of course, if I hated having long hair I wouldn't wear it that way no matter how many compliments I got. People compliment me when I wear makeup, too, but there's no way I'm going to put that on every day!:D

Isilme
January 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM
The major reason I'm growing my hair is because I like it, it's for me me me:) The other reasons but minor compared to the first is that bf likes my hair as long as possible and all the compliments I get from people. I like compliments ;)

angelthadiva
January 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I grow it because I like it. He just so happens to like it long too...I don't know if he had this length in mind, but he supports my decision to see how long it will grow...Occasionally I will joke about doing a major chop, but he doesn't join in my humor.

dancingmegs
January 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I don't know what s/o means either, but I'm have long hair because I want to, not because anyone else wants me to. BF loves long hair, but it's not the reason we are together, or the reason I have long hair. It's just an added bonus. ;)

GlennaGirl
January 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do you mean Significant Other? I'm very definitely not growing mine for my husband--in fact, if he had his way I'd keep it shorter.

I love him and it's not like he makes a big fuss about it or anything, it's just that I'm very aware of it, so, no, I'm not growing it out for an s/o.

Islandgrrl
January 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Me. Just me.

rags
January 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm growing mine out for me - it's just a bonus that he likes it too! I have almost always had long hair ; I haven't felt truly myself since I cut it.

Speckla
January 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
What does s/o mean?

It means spin off.

This is way of getting the attention off a not so comfortable thread.:cheese:
________
Mercedes-benz 500 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500)

noelgirl
January 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
It's always been the way I want it for me. Granted, I'm single at the moment, but every boyfriend I've had has either liked long hair on me or kept his mouth shut :p Maybe the quiet ones liked it too, I'll never know, they never let on.

bgarrison
January 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I do it just for myself, to the point that I like to keep it up ( somewhat hidden) so that it feels more private. Comments make me uncomfortable.

LawyerGirl
January 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I do it for myself. If I did it for my BF I would be all mixed up, since he changes his mind all the time! :) He says he likes me happy, so he'll like my hair however I want it.

hippiechick1976
January 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I am growing my hair for ME. When I was married I was with someone that was very bad for my self esteem and who I am. He would tell me he wasn't attracted to me unless my hair was blonde. So i Bleached it. Needless to say I wanted it long but I couldn't keep it healthy. Thankfully I am divorced and MUCH happier..and his girlfriend is a brunette...( no offense but grrr you know?) Anyway I grow it for me. My boyfriend loves it but if he didn't oh well. I have learned to do what I like:) He loves me so that's what matters:) Now just to get him to take care of his shoulder length curley hair...thats been the same length with no cuts for 3.5 years....

Carolyn
January 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
It's for me. Mine mine mine :p

Aisha25
January 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I grow it because God gave me this hair and I should take as good a care of it as HE would want me too and thank HIM everyday for this gift.

willowcandra
January 5th, 2009, 03:16 AM
when I met dh he did say that he would like my hair long. It was about two inches and spiky then. I didn't grow it till we had been together for about three years. He wasn't pushy or anything and I grew it for me and me alone.
I think he had shoulder length in mind and not classic lol.

I think the only interest he has in my hair is that he likes to see it loose with braid waves. I have occasionally worn it in a way I know he likes, through my own choice but at the end of the day it's not there for him. I just love to have long hair, it's such an amazing gift.

dalriada-lady
January 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I love my long hair, and when it's healthy and cared for i love to let it down and rub against my bare back and arms. I am growing it because i've always loved super long hair (classic to knee length.) and want to have it grow to at least Classic and after some extra care allow it to grow as far as it will go. for my own pleasure and happiness.

Right now i am not extremely happy with my hair, it's been a year and a half of changes in routines and proper care plus for some reason i've suffered from an abundance of tangles since i had to cut it in 2007. not sure why, cut all the damage out and then a bit more. maybe because i changed the routine drastically and my hair had no time to adapt? i doubt it has been punishing me for trying to go No Cones. or maybe it's the length of time between washes with poo? or it could be (most definite answer here ) that sometimes i am a bit lazy and allow a day to go by without unbraiding my hair and brushing it out? i've changed this last, now i brush my hair at least once a day to get rid of tangles.

Anyway, i still love my hair no matter what and care for it as if it was antique lace from the eleventh century. just have to stick to my routine, try and cut what is damaged and allow for patience while the side layers grow out to reach the rest of my hemline. which is the hardest thing to do, wait.

Nizhoni
January 5th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I only grow and keep my hair healthy for myself. :)

EvaSimone
January 5th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I grow my hair for me.

My fiance does happen to like it, but even if he didn't like it I would still grow it further. It's for me not him. :D

Ooh I totally am always touching my hair... especially when I am tired I'll rub my braid tassle or bored I'll just unknowingly run my fingers through my hair. I try to keep it up at work because constantly touching your hair isn't so professional.

Bene
January 5th, 2009, 04:50 AM
i do it because i've wanted to grow my hair long, i can't imagine why anyone else would want to if not for his or herself. it's my body, my hair, so yeah, it's totally a personal thing.

whenever my hair has been longer, i hit a wall when i felt the urge to cut. i think i want to be able to get it longer than i've ever had it, mostly as an accomplishment thing. like learning to have the discipline to not chop it all off when it's not cooperating.

finding this site has helped me not get too frustrated with it. i see that other ppl have had similar hair problems and have found ways around them, so that is totally encouraging.

oddly enough, i kind of do it for my b/f's amusement, i like to make him laugh because it makes me feel good. mainly i tell him about the snippets of hints and tips i pick here. he jokingly calls this the hair vegan site (because of the chemical awareness that many have developed over time, including yours truly), and is convinced that we're going to end up doing some crazy long haired version of "project mayhem" (he's got a vivid imagination). he'll occasionally want to know what new things the hair ppl are up to and he'll ask "do you get a medal if it grows to your waist? a trophy if it gets to your butt?"

sapphire-o
January 5th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I grew it mostly for DH because he likes long hair. Of course I enjoy playing with long hair and hairtoys. :) Though my passion for long hair kinda comes and goes, depends on my mood, health condition...etc. If it's not for him I wouldn't have made it this far. Of course he's growing hair with me so I think that's fair enough. I love playing with his hair.

Stacy_E
January 5th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Growing it long is totally for me. My DH would rather I have it at shoulder length.

nimeera
January 5th, 2009, 08:09 AM
My DH says he would love it whatever way it is. But then again, he likes it when I wear it down.

I'm growing it totally for me. But if he likes it too, then great!

Katze
January 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
since I have mostly only ever heard negative comments from other people about my hair, it is my choice to grow it AND to wear it like I want.

BF is not very visually aware, so he only occasionally says things about my hair, always nice things. He's a long hair too, and I think seeing how my hair has changed is helping him take care of his better.

mommy101405
January 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
My answer is kind of two fold I suppose. I am growing it for myself. I don't even know if I like it yet or not, lol. I am an impulsive person and I feel its something I need to overcome. Growing my hair has been an act of patience for me and it has actually been quite satisfying.

That being said my dh much prefers my hair long compared to short. So when I have the urge to cut it does help that he likes it long and encourages me to keep growing.

Now he has said that he doesn't really think he would like it much longer than bsl so I don't know how I would feel if he wanted me to cut and I didn't.

NebraskaChick84
January 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
haha yes! ever since I oiled it last week I cannot stop playing with it!

I'm oiling it again today and I can't wait to have dh take a picture of it dry tonight :)

freznow
January 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Only for myself. My family hasn't really encouraged it, but they keep their opinions to themselves so it's no bother. My beau seems to like it but we've only been dating for 2 months so even if I wanted to say that I grew it out for him, you wouldn't believe me. You can't get to classic in 2 months!

So yeah. It's all for me, I enjoy growing my hair out and having long hair.

rhosyn_du
January 5th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Absolutely for me. I love the way my hair looks and feels long and well-treated. Having people I'm close with pet it when it's down is a definite plus, though. :D

wintersun99
January 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM

caribou55313
January 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I do it for me, but my husband likes it too :)