PDA

View Full Version : Right angled ends

Jorja
January 4th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I was doing an S & D when I noticed that some of my ends are like right angles. Assuming this was damage, I snipped them off above the bend. Has anyone had this before?

Incidentally, I've found the best place to S & D is right in front of the monitor, they really show up there against the light :)

Arctic
January 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Yep I have them too sometimes and cut them off. Here's a great picture to show that damage can have many forms, not just splitends:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Seasilver2k/SplitEndChart.gif

smilinjenn71
January 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Interesting! I didn't realize there were so many different kinds...

Misso
January 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Eeeks, when I am bored and do S&D, not a regular. I find basically most of the types you show :D
:mad:Hair dyes can do that, from hair that can grow without trimming for a couple of years and stay healthy to this...

patissegrietje
January 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM
@Arctic, Wow! great illustrations! and i find all of them in my hair sometimes :(
@Jorja, Another great place to s&d is in the car; when somebody else is driving, that is ;-)

Ryanne
January 4th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I've seen the picture before, but I forgot that when the hair is angled it's damaged too. Now I have more to cut.

Pinga
January 4th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Arctic,
Thanks for posting the detailed pictures of all the different types of damage since I had not seen this before. This will help quite a bit for my next S&D session.

Jorja
January 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Wow! Thats amazing Arctic thanks! I also had the thickening thing but I though I just had deformed hair lol. It looks like an alphabet for a new language.

Now S & D can be fun, like bingo!

Just_Isabel
January 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It looks like an alphabet for a new language.

:lol: It does!
I have lots of bent hairs. I usually leave them alone and hope that they'll straighten up on their own or something. :silly:

The bent ones can't travel up like splits, can they?

Arctic
January 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
:lol: It does!
I have lots of bent hairs. I usually leave them alone and hope that they'll straighten up on their own or something. :silly:

The bent ones can't travel up like splits, can they?

I think they can cause other hairs to tangle and that might cause damage and splits, also they might break and the breaking point might develop a split that can travel up.

Arctic
January 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Wow! Thats amazing Arctic thanks! I also had the thickening thing but I though I just had deformed hair lol. It looks like an alphabet for a new language.

Now S & D can be fun, like bingo!

You're welcome! I haven't drawn that chart, just bookmarked it after seeing it here somewhere :) It sure does look like runes or alphabets!

I also like S&D, it's almost meditative if you sit in a comfortable chair :laugh: :meditate:

Just_Isabel
January 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I think they can cause other hairs to tangle and that might cause damage and splits

Good point, I usually find the bent ones with the tangles.
I'll start S&Ding them and see if my hair tangles less (it doesn't tangle much now, but less is always better). :)

neon-dream
January 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Yeahh, I notice lots of different damage in my hair, probably because my strands are thick, i often get right angles.

FallenAngel
January 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Need to get myself a good :scissors: and the go search for all those types of damaged hairs. I was not aware there were so many different kinds.

My NYE resolution is not to cut or trim my hair 2009 (remove damaged hairs can't count as a cut or trim, can it?) and then I really think it will be important to find the damaged ones....

Anje
January 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Ugh, I get tons of bent ones, sometimes at right angles, others that kink 180°. I think they're caused by little knotty tangles (usually involving lint), and they seem to catch on other hairs and reproduce.

I don't think wetting mine down unkinks them, so I tend to cut them off. If anyone can suggest a good way to unkink bent hairs, I'm definitely interested, because they're probably my #1 length destroyer.

eadwine
January 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
The only thing in the image I disagree with is the taper one. Tapered hair is most often new growth, it would be too bad if that gets snipped off ;)

Sissy
January 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I was doing an S & D when I noticed that some of my ends are like right angles. Assuming this was damage, I snipped them off above the bend. Has anyone had this before?

Incidentally, I've found the best place to S & D is right in front of the monitor, they really show up there against the light :)

Yes, I have found right angles in my hair before. I also assumed they were damage.

Thanks to Arctic for the very helpful split end chart. I will definitely use it when I start doing S & D.

Pierre
January 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
When I find bent ends, they're usually hooked on other bent ends, and I snip the whole tangle off. I've found very few of those lately.:)

GlennaGirl
January 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yep I have them too sometimes and cut them off. Here's a great picture to show that damage can have many forms, not just splitends:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Seasilver2k/SplitEndChart.gif

Is this the Runic Dictionary?

Nat242
January 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
The only thing in the image I disagree with is the taper one. Tapered hair is most often new growth, it would be too bad if that gets snipped off ;)

True, but I know in my own hair, if the tapered hair is long enough for me to find during an S&D, it's tapered from damage.

Pierre
January 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Is this the Runic Dictionary?
No, but if you have too many of them in your hair, it's runed! :D

30isthenewblack
January 5th, 2009, 01:51 AM
No, but if you have too many of them in your hair, it's runed! :D

Haha! Very clever Pierre :)