PDA

View Full Version : Pantene

Yedda
January 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Does anyone on here have good results with Pantene?

I've never really liked it too much but it seems to be getting a lot of hype on TV lately and I'm wondering why.

I'm not planning to go back and try it again either way but have a curious mind as to why there are such positive claims.

Debra83
January 4th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Does anyone on here have good results with Pantene?

I've never really liked it too much but it seems to be getting a lot of hype on TV lately and I'm wondering why.

I'm not planning to go back and try it again either way but have a curious mind as to why there are such positive claims.

:) It's so funny you started this post today about pantene!!! I was gonna do a pantene poll yesterday!!!

Yes, I've been using beautiful lengths and sleek and straight conditioners, and as I stated in a different conditioner thread yesterday, they are the ones that give me the most slip and it feels like the most protection for my hair. I'm not exclusive with them though (ha! sounds like I'm dating them!), but my hair REALLY likes them, I think even more than coconut oil!

LittleLlama
January 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
My past experience is that I loved it for a while and even after doing something clarifying-ish it just left me flat and heavy. No frizz though and smelled great.

plainjanegirl
May 31st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Is there anyone here with long hair who has used pantene for a long time?

You here all the pantene is evil and your hair will look good for awhile but then it'll be bad and it's full of wax ( but don't they mean the cone stuff) ?

If I remember the last time I used pantene it was fairly easy to comb through my hair, but I don't wanna use it if my hair will fall out.

LadyEliza
May 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
I grew my hair from APL to classic and the only shampoo I used was Panteen. That was starting about 11 years ago, until 6 years ago when I cut it to pixie.

Hairdressers would tell me "your hair will eventually melt". It never has melted. What on earth do they mean by "melt"?

I use to use white vinigar to clarify every now and then.

Now I use a mixture of yoghut and honey as a mask every few months.

Not everyone likes Panteen, but I have used it practically ever since it came out with no ill effects.

In fact, the only time I've had problems with my hair is NOW, when I tried to switch to a cone free shampoo and then go CO. I've just done a yoghut treatment, washed my hair with panteen and conditioned with panteen, and this afternoon my cousin is going to cut half an inch or so off for me, then hopefully it will be normal again.

Madame J
May 31st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Pantene is like any other product: you have to scrutinize the ingredient list, and experiment to see if it works for you. If it's getting good press on TV (not in ads), that just means that someone happened to have a good experience with it who is in a position to talk about, or else they're getting paid by the company. As with anything, you have to try it and decide with yourself. That said, if you've already determined your hair doesn't like 'cones, Pantene doesn't seem to be a good choice.

teela1978
May 31st, 2009, 08:20 PM
I just bought some because it had been a while since I tried it... and I like to play around with conditioners, my hair doesn't really seem to care to much what I use. It's not bad. It's not as slippy as my usual favorites though, so once it's gone I probably won't purchase another bottle for another year or two.

plainjanegirl
May 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM
I just bought some because it had been a while since I tried it... and I like to play around with conditioners, my hair doesn't really seem to care to much what I use. It's not bad. It's not as slippy as my usual favorites though, so once it's gone I probably won't purchase another bottle for another year or two.

What are your usual favorites ?

teela1978
May 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM
What are your usual favorites ?
I like the herbal essences in the blue bottle... hello hydration? I like loreal vive nutrigloss in the light pink bottle with the blue writing (it's cone free, I usually use it inbetween a coney conditioner)... I like garnier sleek and shine I think it is... although I've never used a garnier conditioner that I didn't like. I like aussie moist too. Haven't used the aussie in a while though.

Kina
May 31st, 2009, 09:13 PM
I CO with Pantene, for about 7 years now. My hair is about waist length, started at bsl after a dismal, horrible chop that my hairdresser did.

I've tried switching out, but my hair loves it and hates pretty much everything else :shrug:.

I use the curly hair version, daily CO from the ears down and wash my scalp about once a week, also use coconut oil every night.

Darkhorse1
May 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
I love Pantene. Their clarifying shampoo and extra moisture renewel is something I've been using the past five years. I do swap off between that and Degunkify Herbal Essence, but Pantene Clarifying keeps my scalp clean longer. in fact, I attributed it once with hair loss, but it turns out, it was just a shed time for me. I'm noticing no more hair shedding than normal--I'm going through a shed period right now (mini).

The only time I notice the conditioner not working as well is when it's summertime and I haven't protected my ends with SPF. Nothing can un-dull sun damage :( So, I am using a salon brand leave in conditioner with SPF. It's nothing like another one I used---the last one I used left my ends SO DRY. This one isn't bad. Then, I clarify and condition. I also up my end oilings in the summer.

Hope that helps :)

Everyone's chemistry is different though--best way to try stuff? Buy trial sizes of shampoo. A few bottles though since your hair is long/thick :D

I love HE, but their hello hydration line hates me :D Or my scalp hates it.

ademtce
June 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
their 'Time Renewal Replenishing Mask' is my favorite cone deep conditioner.
its so good and always make my hair feel great.

RancheroTheBee
June 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
I've never used anything other than their deep conditioner, but I really loved it.

Heavenly Locks
June 1st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Pantene Beautiful Lengths is what I was using when I got to LHC. I switched to CO because I wanted to get away from the SLS and the PBL was full of cones which I wanted to try going without. I didn't have a problem with the pantene really, I just wanted to try something new. I haven't gone back.

Shermie Girl
June 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
I like Pantene and so does my hair. I just have to be sure to clarify now and then when I use it because it is really coney and I get buildup. (I have that issue with any cone laden products, not just Pantene :)) But I also get soft, silky, shiny hair that feels lovely and behaves nicely.

I don't get the whole "Pantene is evil and will kill and melt your hair!" thing. It never did that to my hair. :lol: Like every product, it works great for some, not so much for others. :D

Shadow
July 1st, 2009, 03:02 AM
I've been using the Pantene Pro-v Restoratives Conditioner after reading great reviews about it on Makeup Alley and I've been very happy with it. My hair feels good, looks good and I've recently noticed that not only do I get much less shed when I use it but also that it helps to clear away the slight tender spot that I sometimes get on the top my scalp (that appears for no reason - I think it might be stress related).

All in all I'm happy with this particular Pantene and it's nice to know that, despite what people say about the line, if I ever forget my condition when travelling or something that I will always be able to pop out a pick up a cheap bottle of this without my hair going into complete rebellion, because pretty much everywhere stocks Pantene. It’s also a nice fallback to have at those times when I’m completely broke but would like my hair to look halfway decent

:)

Lexibeth
July 1st, 2009, 03:08 AM
I have been using Pantene deep fortifying conditioner and have had great results. My hair seems stronger and softer. I only use it once a week as I swap my conditioners everytime I wash (using CO).

Anlbe
July 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
I used pentane when it first came out and bad things happened so I've never used it since. However one of my friends uses pantenne sleek and shiny and it works amazingly on her hair, stops her split ends and makes it very very very shiny

Loviatar
July 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM
I get great results with the Pantene repair and protect line. I have their shampoo, condish and the amino acid mask. I use the mask mixed with the conditioner or sometimes on its own. Great stuff :)

AmandaPanda I seem to remember was a Pantene user. Cones worked well for her.

I couldnt use Pantene when I was hennaing, but now my hair is dyed, it seems to like cones.

Stormsong
July 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM
I couldnt use Pantene when I was hennaing, but now my hair is dyed, it seems to like cones.

Until I found this site, i was using Pantene repair and protect on my hair which at that point was dyed, and it was great. No obvious split end damage, no feeling crunchy and generally as though you had abused your hair, smelt great, looked shiny, and made my hair very tangle free.

Now I'm using henna I've been trying to use up the last of the Pantene conditioner I had, and even though I've only been using a drop of conditioner in with the ACV rinse I'm now doing to help with de-tangling/combing my hair after washing, my hair was going 'greasy' looking very quickly. I've now swapped the conditioner I'm using to a none-cone one, and my hair is behaving a lot better.

I would say try it, I never had a problem with Pantene (in fact it was all I was using apart from a weekly shampoo with Selsun for a scalp problem) and I found my hair loved it, until I started using Henna for colouring :D

Ravenmoon
July 1st, 2009, 05:56 AM
I only use their conditioners -- tried Restoratives, Beautiful Lengths, and a couple others, and they seem to work very well for my hair. Makes my hair feel very smooth and sleek, and it's shinier than with any other conditioner. Their shampoos seem to dry out my scalp too much, though, so I don't really use those.

redneckprincess
July 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Yes I get very good results with it, the conditioner anyways

Buddaphlyy
July 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I really like Pantene, especially the conditioners and deep treatments. I am going to try some of their shampoos since I found taht quite a few of them contain ALS, which is the only cleansing ingredient my hair seems to like.

Babyfine
July 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
I really like the Pantene overnight treatment-which came in a single use packet.
It was the first deep treatment I used when I wanted to grow my highlighted, damaged hair long.(HI-lites have long since been cut off with last chop 7/07)
but it really did help A LOT! But alas, it's been discontinued-I think-you can't find it anywhere anymore and I don't even see it on Pantenes home page.

Kiraela
July 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I've used pantene almost all of my life! It's the one brand that my hair really, truly loves. I have been using Ice Shine S&C (or a generic thereof when I don't want to spend the extra on the name brand), for about a year and a half (except for a dismal failure of a no-cones experiment recently) - and I love it. I know I've got a lot of damage, but that was not the pantene's fault, it was my own. The pantene is the one of the only things keeping my damage manageable - keeping me from chopping back to bsl!

I wash my scalp with bodywash half the time (My scalp likes it. :shrug:) - and the runoff from that (dripping down the length) keeps the 'cones from building up.

nowxisxforever
July 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
I've never really liked the smell of Pantene so haven't used it beyond when I was rather young at my grandmother's as she used it.

However I did want to link two Beauty Brains posts about Pantene, which I found rather informative:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/07/04/is-pantene-good-or-bad-for-my-hair/

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/03/is-pantene-putting-plastic-on-your-hair/

mooglewoo
July 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
When I used SLS 'poos (back in high school lolz), Pantene was one I used along with Herbal Essences. I had to rotate though because after 4 washings or so Pantene would make my hair really dry, frizzy and unmanageable. So I'd use HE a while and return to it. I love the smell, but it's not a favorable shampoo for me in other aspects.
I've since learned about MANY other hair products, and now enjoy greener pastures, but I can still recognize the smell of Pantene in a crowded place!

Jessikinz
July 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
My hair loves Pantene. I used it for a very long time. Ever since I had the big hair chop. I have not had anything bad happen to my hair. My hair is now just a little past waist. Although I have a different routine now, if I ever did go back to shampooing, I would use Pantene again.

ETA: Also, when I was using Pantene, I would clarify at least once a month.

Moonstruck
July 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I went to CLASSIC length using only Pantene and Garnier Fructis, because they were the only two that were in my shower most of the time. And I'm not gonna lie, my hair looked and felt great to me and to everyone else. The hairstylists always commented that my hair was one of the easiest to work with.

I now only use shampoo bars, and no cones, but that's because because I have eczema aggravated by the SLS, and because I'd like to go as "natural" as I can. My hair also seems fine with this schedule, though I do have to be a little more careful abusing it.

However, take my experiences with a grain of salt. I also used to horseback ride and swim at least 3 times a week, always with my hair down, and noticed very little damage. My hair was a little bleached/light in color at the ends, but I attributed that to sun/chlorine, and it was never really "bad."

dulce-de-leche
July 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
I used to use Pantene when I was younger and had more money to spend on myself I really liked it and my hair smelled great.I started using the cheaper stuff for a while and recently discovered beautiful lengths 2 in 1 and I like it better than the original one I used to use.My hair seems straighter and smoother I really love it,and I don't need an additional conditioner.

shadowclaw
July 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Since I gradutated high school, I've been switching from product to product, mainly because the products I like either get discontinued or the formulas changed. I used a great one in high school called Clairol Renewal 5x or something similiar, but it was discontinued. I used the pink Herbal Essences for dry/damaged hair for a few years until they changed it and it didn't work anymore. Same with Aussie Moist.

As for Pantene, I was using Beautiful Lengths for a while when I joined LHC. At the time I joined, I read an article on the Long Hair Loom about the different cleansers in shampoo and discovered that Beautiful Lengths uses Ammonium Laurel(eth) Sulfate, which is supposedly much harsher on hair than SLS. Which actually makes sense, because I was unimpressed with the shampoo and prefer Herbal Essences, which uses SLS (or at least the kind I used does).

In any event, I am now experimenting with no-cones and only use SLS shampoo now and then, so Pantene is out.

On a side note, my mom used Pantene for probably at least 20 years and never had a problem. Then one day a stylist told her it would dry out her hair and suddenly her hair felt dry and was dull and lifeless, so she switched to Herbal Essences.

Loviatar
July 2nd, 2009, 03:44 AM
I have to admit I prefer AL(E)S because I find them easier to rinse out than SL(E)S and my hair feels cleaner. I only use the Pantene shampoo maybe once a fortnight though and I dilute it.

Kiraela
July 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
On a side note, my mom used Pantene for probably at least 20 years and never had a problem. Then one day a stylist told her it would dry out her hair and suddenly her hair felt dry and was dull and lifeless, so she switched to Herbal Essences.

You know, I've seen that a million times! Someone has something that works fantastically for them. Love the product. Until someone else, someone 'in charge' or 'with authority on the subject'... someone who 'knows'... tells them that the product is bad for them. Then all of a sudden it is not working right, it doesn't do the things it used to do, the sleek shiny hair is now dull and lifeless... all because someone told them that it should be. :(

Zombiekins
July 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
You know, I've seen that a million times! Someone has something that works fantastically for them. Love the product. Until someone else, someone 'in charge' or 'with authority on the subject'... someone who 'knows'... tells them that the product is bad for them. Then all of a sudden it is not working right, it doesn't do the things it used to do, the sleek shiny hair is now dull and lifeless... all because someone told them that it should be. :(

Yup, that's my mom to a "T". No matter how I try to convince her that just because she thinks someone is in a higher or more knowledgeable, doesn't make them necessarily more knowing than her. A little research and experimenting go a long way. Especially concerning her own body and hair (as we all know varies results vary from person to person).

Anyway, semi-on topic. I don't care much for Pantene. I don't like the smells or the over the top coney conditioners. But I can't use "commercial" shampoo anyway as it dries the crap outta my hair. That's just me though. :)

teela1978
July 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I really like Pantene, especially the conditioners and deep treatments. I am going to try some of their shampoos since I found taht quite a few of them contain ALS, which is the only cleansing ingredient my hair seems to like.

I have to admit I prefer AL(E)S because I find them easier to rinse out than SL(E)S and my hair feels cleaner. I only use the Pantene shampoo maybe once a fortnight though and I dilute it.

I prefer ALS as well. I think it's mostly due to living in a hard water area than anything else though. Luckily Suave is very cheap and uses ALS as it's primary cleansing ingredient.

Kirin
July 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
I've used Pantene off and on for years going way back when it used to have the round bottle with the gold cap! I don't currently use it, as I always found the scents too strong, and had varying results.

However, no commercial shampoo or conditioner is going to make your hair melt or destroyed unless you are allergic to it or have a bad reaction to an ingredient. The reason they make this stuff is to make money, if everyone's hair fell out and went ballistic, they wouldn't sell very much would they?

Pantene's ingredients are pretty comparable to any other shampoos and conditioners in the same price point.

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've used pantene since it first was introduced in the late 80s?? I love the stuff. I LOVE their color renewel conditioner as of lately. I use their clarifying shampoo in the winter, but in the summer, I have to rotate shampoos due to sun exposure with my job.

I love Pantene and Herbal Essence. :D

Copasetic
July 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
My hair loves Pantene. I used it off and on a few years ago, then I went cone free for a while. I decided I was tired of cone free and decided to buy a Pantene shampoo and conditioner. I was blown away by the results and plan to keep using it for a long time.

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Pantene's conditioners are very moisturizing. I have and have in the past used the color care and smooth and sleek conditioners myself.

The shampoos on the other hand are quite harsh. They contain the usual harsh sulfates that are a no-no to soft, healthy shiny locks so unless you use their conditioners hand in hand with the shampoos you will seriously dry out your locks.

Beware however, Pantene like every other typical mainstream haircare line uses cones in their conditioners and many of their styling products!

Buddaphlyy
July 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Just took my braid extensions out and have Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense conditioner on now. My shower comb is breezing through my hair like butter.

I love Pantene!!!

RoseRedDead
July 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I used the smooth and sleek one (green on the bottle, I think) about two years ago... eee... crunch city... Haven't touched Pantene since.

I'd like to do a return to 'cones experiement one of these days... So I'll probably look at Pantene again.

Spring
July 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I love Pantene. I use the Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner. I do have to clarify, and occasionally switch conditioners for one wash, but Pantene is my mainstay. I heard alot about Breakage Defense, I think I might give that a try.

Nyghtingale
July 5th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Makes my head itch like crazy!

teela1978
July 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM

So I've been using this bottle of pantene in my usual rotation for a few weeks now... and I'm starting to like it more. It definitely doesn't give as much slip in the shower as my cone-free condish... but it gives me hair that is much easier to detangle the next day. Not sure if I'll get this exact one again. Maybe if it's on sale.

soopahgrover
July 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I use Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner, just about every wash. I am a big fan. Leaves my hair soft and nearly tangle free. I like the Pantene Restoratives Frizz Control even better, but it's slightly more expensive, and I've been watching my $$ more lately.