PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this style? Sew braids...

Mely
January 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
...Sew your braids in place with ribbon and a yarn needle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME&NR=1

coppercurls
January 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have seen her video before, but have yet to try it. It really looks amazing.

cami_henderson
January 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
i dont know about the taping, but had i known that the fairy tale braid exseted when i got married last year i soooo would have that other than my gaigantor up do

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Some of my friends did this with their hair in my SCA days. It looks really cool. It was an especially good style to go with Italian Renaissance costume.

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
That looks really pretty! Wish I had hair long enough for it!

cami_henderson
January 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
is she on this forum?

RoseRedDead
January 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I cannot wait until my hair is long enough to do this. Want!

Thank you for posting this. It is going to be saved.

HairColoredHair
January 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yep, I've done this... Used an upholstery needle and ribbon to put up a crown braid at least a couple times. It makes for a very 'weightless' updo because it doesn't pull as much as pins or clips would. Looks neat too. Takes forever to get down, though.

Phalaenopsis
January 4th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Oh, this looks neat!
I'm going to try that this summer. I bookmarked it :)

eadwine
January 4th, 2009, 01:55 AM
is she on this forum?

I believe so, but not a clue as to her nick.

She recently posted another tutorial here, with her own made blue with beads hair forks. Probably in the craft forum :)

Katrina
January 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Really pretty :). I wish I had longer hair so I could do this updo. I tried and realised that I need about 12 inches more (classic, but now I'm just past waist) *sigh*. Well, I bookmarked the instructions anw will definitely try it later... Next year maybe if I'm lucky.

beehives
January 4th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I love this so much! I also wish my hair was longer so I could give the style a try.

Ryanne
January 4th, 2009, 03:33 AM
That looks so cool! Only the ribbon annoys me slightly, but it's a pretty style!

AutumnLeaves
January 4th, 2009, 07:56 AM
What a pretty style! I wonder if she is an LHCer? She is just so cute and has gorgeous hair!

neon-dream
January 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
That looks amazing!!

Pinga
January 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I just don't have the length to try this but it is definitely a very pretty style. If you used a string of beads or small pearls instead of ribbon, I could see this as a beautiful wedding updo.

redhead_rachel
January 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I want to try this, although I'm not sure if my hair is quite long enough yet. Maybe I could do a "not quite long enough" variation by taping my heidi braids instead.....

squiggyflop
January 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
ooo i love it.. i dont think my hair is long enough.. my braids tend to eat up my length..

FallenAngel
January 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
That woman is amazing! I've seen more videos with her, and she makes it look so easy!

I really would like long hair, so I could do the things she do.

xeternalsilence
January 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Would anyone mind getting a screenshot of it so I could see?

It sounds absolutely gorgeous, but youtube doesn't work on my computer :(

Orchid
January 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
No... But now I want to! I wonder if it would work the same for a half-up style?

eadwine
January 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM
What a pretty style! I wonder if she is an LHCer? She is just so cute and has gorgeous hair!

Scroll up for my previous post, yes she is. I just cannot find again who.

HairColoredHair
January 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Torrin Paige? It's the same name...

eadwine
January 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Could be.. is she the one with the blue hair forks with beads? Then it's her :)

AnneAdeline
January 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I tried this with my BSL hair and it sort of worked. It didn't look nearly as cool and it loosened up by the afternoon. I'm waiting for my hair to get long enough!

Tapioca
January 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I can do this on my friend's hair, but I just can't figure it out on my own. Can't see the back of my own head, and the mirror doesn't help.

AutumnSky
January 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM
So going to try this.... not sure if my hair will go the sistance though.... still too many weird layers.

DragonLady
January 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I did the braids last night, but couldn't wrap them far enough around my head. Either I'm just too hair-challenged or I need to wait for another foot of length.

Peggy E.
January 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I have the length, I'm not sure I have the volume. My braids start out great, but after a couple of good, strong inches, they immediately drop off into wispy strands. Ribbon would cover the braids completely! :o(

Going to try it tonight and see what happens....

Amara
January 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
This is such a nice 'do! I do it to sleep in sometimes. It's very comfy.

squiggyflop
January 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
i went out today and bought a pack of yarn needles.. i got metal ones because the plastic ones had seams and also the holes were longer on the metal ones (can use wider ribbon)
however my hair isnt long enough.. im waist length but i guess my head is big or something.. bujt when it gets to a proper length for this hairdo ill be ready with my yarn needles.. maybe if i use 2 needles at once i can do a criss-cross design with 2 different colored ribbons

HairColoredHair
January 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
i went out today and bought a pack of yarn needles.. i got metal ones because the plastic ones had seams and also the holes were longer on the metal ones (can use wider ribbon)
however my hair isnt long enough.. im waist length but i guess my head is big or something.. bujt when it gets to a proper length for this hairdo ill be ready with my yarn needles.. maybe if i use 2 needles at once i can do a criss-cross design with 2 different colored ribbons

... You could always practice sewing heidi braids into place or something. :D

AprilElf
January 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I haven't watched the video yet (it's loading ... *drums fingers*), but I tried my hand at hair taping in April last year:
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/th_taping.jpg (http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/taping.jpg)
[click for larger]

I used two rope braids, and the experiment worked. My problem was the braids were too fat and I looked faintly ridiculous from the back. :p

Ms. Hollywood
January 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
WOW! I would have never thought of that! Thanks for the video...I can't wait until my hair is long enough to try it. I may try alternate versions with smaller buns just to add some ribbon and color. Thanks again

Torrin Paige
January 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post

Here I am! I am the same everywhere online. I figure it makes it easier for people to find me if they need to. I hadn't posted to this community since 2005, though, so I'm not sure who tried out the homemade fancy hairpins, but I'm happy they worked out for them.

By the by, you can totally sew milkmaid braids for those of you without quite enough length for the full on Elizabethan. It works just as well, is just as cute, and is every bit as comfy.