PDA

View Full Version : Hair "wispies"

Pinga
January 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
How do you deal with hair "wispies"? By wispies, I mean the shorter hairs that are growing in that are not long enough to stay contained when you wear your hair up. I think my hair looks messy when I just let these hairs stay loose, especially in the front. My coarse hair tends to stick straight up rather than lay flat, when it is short. In the past, I've tried using a quick spray of hairspray or some other hair product or barrettes to smooth the wispies into place. Do you have any other products or tricks you use to fix this problem?

GlassEyes
January 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
I gel them, but they eventually pop back up.

I can't care enough to do much more to 'em. XD

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I just leave them alone.
________
Guaranteed asset protection insurance advice (http://www.insurance-forums.org/guaranteed-asset-protection-insurance/)

Elphie
January 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
I only have this problem when I braid. A little bit of fine water mist and slight patting helps, so does a bit of aloe. Not looking in the mirror again works the best!

Carolyn
January 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I embrace them :D I love wispies and messiness.

Unnamed
January 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
I just leave 'em. They do help prevent updos from looking a bit softer, too (which I think is a good thing--for me, anyway).

lizzyjo
January 3rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
On the days that I don't wash my hair, the wispies are a tad oily and go where I want them to go.

When I blowdry my hair, I have to remember not to aim the blowdryer in the opposite direction that they grow, or they will stick up even more.

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
They drive me crazy, but a smidgeon of jojoba oil on my canopy helps some.

OhioLisa
January 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Aloe vera gel works well for me. Though most of the time, I don't even bother. I think my whispies are cute. :D

Deborah
January 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Mostly I leave them alone. When they bug me, I wet my palms just a little and smooth back the top and sides (while hair is in a bun.) I never consider them worth using any sort of sticky stuff on my hair. I hate all that stuff. :)

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
my little wispies are 3cish so I just leave them alone
________
Vapir air one vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

Roseate
January 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Aw, I was hoping someone here would have a magic solution! I have the same problem. Sometimes I like them when I'm doing a looser updo, but sometimes I'd like a sleeker look and I've never been able to quite manage it. My hair is thick and wavy, so they are quite noticeable and laugh at hairspray.

Curlsgirl
January 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
When I had some hair not quite long enough to go into a ponytail or braid, I would sometimes twist the strands and clip them back or pin them back. Also I would just tuck them behind my ears. I don't really have much of a problem now though, maybe because of my hairtype but the wispies that I have I just leave now.

BranwenWolf
January 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
I use a bit of hairspray-- I spray it on my palms and brush them over my head so that I don't get too much on there.
I think my hair is supposed to be pretty curly because the whisps go into nice classic curls but they drive me nuts.
My hair never stays put with just water or aloe vera unless I jam a hat on it. I've had whisps around my head all my life and they get on my nerves- but c'est la vie!

vampodrama
January 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I just leave them alone. of course when I refer to 'wispies' I actually mean the einstein/mad scientist thing I have going on (as about 1/3 of my total hair is in the weird length of 2 or 3 inches....)

Ryanne
January 4th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I leave them alone, I don't care if it looks messy.

Johanna64
January 4th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I spray them a little with my mister,to make them more curly.:)

LutraLutra
January 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I either let them be if I want to look softer, or if I want to look more 'groomed' then I pat them down with a little jojoba or if it's a windy day :D I spray hairspray on my palms and pat my hair down.

Pinga
January 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll definitely try one of these or just get used to leaving them alone. :)

Isa-belle
January 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I love my wispies; They add softness to my buns, and while I love looking elegant, I hate looking too severe :)

MemSahib
January 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Whenever I see a fashion model with her hair skint back showing no wispies, it looks artificial and harsh to me. I think they have a softening effect. Maybe you should try to think of them as a lovely halo of hair, something soft and feminine instead of being upset that you have these wonderful baby hairs growing in.

Anje
January 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Lots of people have luck slicking them back with aloe gel, or sometimes oil. I usually just leave mine, though.

Michou
January 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Normally I don't worry about mine, but I've got a ton right now from my post-partum shed growing back in. I am using water and sometimes oil to help keep them down. It helps that I don't many very sleek updos.

Girltron
January 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
To use enough aloe, oil or gel to make them stay, I always wind up looking greasy. So I let mine go. By halfway through the day, I'm really fluffy-but I don't mind it that much. I actually look really weird with slick hair.

It's the side bits near my temples that irritate me the most. I think those hairs break when I sleep at night, so they don't go away-and they look like horns when I really get flyaway. They're too short to clip down with anything, it would look totally silly to have two clips right at my hairline. That's the part I wish would change.

Elainehali
January 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
if you can't beat your wispies, join your wispies.

I cut bangs.:eyebrows:

Katze
January 5th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Whenever I see a fashion model with her hair skint back showing no wispies, it looks artificial and harsh to me. I think they have a softening effect. Maybe you should try to think of them as a lovely halo of hair, something soft and feminine instead of being upset that you have these wonderful baby hairs growing in.

Mine don't look soft; they look unkempt and uncared-for. They make my updos look sloppy and make me look dumpy. I long for smooth hair that is mostly one length and can be gathered back in an elegant updo! My sister has such hair, and I am amazed how she can 'just' put it up and have it stay smooth and sleek...

But since I don't have this kind of hair, I wait to do updos until my hair is dirty. Then I use a bunch of leave-in, oil, and aloe to make my hair 'stay.' On my hair, this has the added effect of making it darker and shinier, so that I have 'down hair' that is blonde and wavy and wild, and 'up hair' that is brown, straight, and smooth(er).

pamrlyn
May 27th, 2015, 05:59 PM
wispies? well maybe. there has to be a stronger term to describe what goes on around my head...? maybe wildlings. Or free folk :)

scrivener827
May 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Yeah, my wispies do not look feminine and cute, either. My hair is super straight, so all my little baby hairs and broken hairs like to stick straight up from my head. Like it looks like I have my finger stuck in a socket. I'm also overly paranoid about them because I did dance competitively growing up, and it was drilled into us that we must have "NO WISPIES!" for our competition hair. I usually smooth them down with a bit of oil and then a spritz of hairspray, because I know the oil won't hold them for long. It's an ongoing battle.

longhairmomof7
May 27th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I just leave them LOL
Hugs!!

Remi
May 27th, 2015, 09:45 PM
He he he! :bluebiggr That is what I'll start calling mine! 'free folk' :)
wispies? well maybe. there has to be a stronger term to describe what goes on around my head...? maybe wildlings. Or free folk :)

ChloeDharma
May 27th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Mine just make me look so dishevelled and having fine hair they blow about at the slightest breeze intensely getting on my nerves. I oil my hair and if I want to make sure they stick down I use neat castor oil around my hairline. I have found misting with rooibos infusion and EO's also helps keep them down as it adds something to my hair but castor oil is the most reliable for me unless I want to risk hair spray.

Saproxylic
May 28th, 2015, 01:03 AM
I have two little tufts of them in both sides of my widow's peak, I think they have really short terminal there, and they are even finer and blonder than the rest of my hair (and from the past experiences, they also take henna differently, they go neon orange). I'm really adverse to putting wax or hairspray in my hair, I might try aloe vera once I get my hands on that (I plan on doing SMT regularly, love what it did to my hair) but so fat I just let them be. Looks a bit odd to have those little tufts, especially with my go-to hairstyle at the moment involves twisting and poufing up my not-quite-there outgrown fringe, but, well, I like wispies on other girls with similar hair texture, so I guess mine are fine too :D

Eleven
May 28th, 2015, 02:31 AM

GOT reference for the win! :D

Flippy layers go up up up in a ponytail. The wispies are tucked behind my ear and/or are free to wisp around. :p They don't bother me that much.

Soulina
May 28th, 2015, 03:02 AM
I put little bit coconut oil on them (rub little to my hands first and to the hair) and brush lightly with boar bristle brush so it wont look greasy. But most of the time I just ignore them.