PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you motivated to reach your hair goals?

backtolonghair
January 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hey there! just thought I would post this to inspire and encourage one another with our hair goals. My question for you is this...What keeps you going towards your hair goals? What keeps you motivated?

For me its seeing myself in an old picture 10 years ago, during my hs days and just thinking how nice it looked and how pretty and feminine it looked. I also think I look better with longer hair as well.
Sadly I really didn't appreciate my long hair that much when I had it. Now that's it gone, it's like...Argh! What did I do?!! LOL!!
But yes, I want to have that feeling, and I think it would be wonderful to have long hair again.. :)

How about you?

Blessings

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
The realization that my hair will not look better shorter. Seriously, I don't have the type of hair that can be easily 'styled'. And I don't have the 'face' for short hair.
My hair will always look messy, so it might as well be long and messy.:D

Bene
January 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
- my hair, when shorter was soooooo much work, because it frizzes easily, and big poofy curly hair doesn't suit the shape of my face :(

- i keep looking at a few ppl here who have my hair type, and their hair looks amazing, so i use their pics as my inspiration.

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
It's looking at old pictures and realizing that my hair is a blessing and not a curse. Curls or straight, long hair is beautiful and a prized possession.
________
Mercedes-Benz Om642 Engine Specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM642_engine)

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
It's looking at old pictures and realizing that my hair is a blessing and not a curse. Curls or straight, long hair is beautiful and a prized possession.

This is a good point. Since joining LHC I have learned that all hair types are beautiful in their own way. I used to covet stick straight Asian hair, but now I see the beauty in all hair.

I never get tired of looking at everyone's hair pics.

Rain76
January 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I totally agree, Speckla! I look @ old pics of myself with waist length hair, and I LONG for that hair again! This time around, it is much thinner & more fragile (thanks to age & heredity, I guess), but I will be taking better care of it. Long hair is beautiful!

AJoifulNoise
January 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Pictures of me (and memories, too) with shorter hair. :tmi: And, recently, my growing hair stick collection. If I cut my hair off, all of that would be wasted. I'd be so sad.

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm learning to enjoy each stage and try not to get upset because I'm not at hip yet.
________
R51 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R51)

LawyerGirl
January 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'm looking forward to wedding hair!

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm looking forward to wedding hair!

Me too, and I want it to be waist length!

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
nc.com and this site with so many wonderful people.
________
HONDA CHF50P SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CHF50P)

Radulfr
January 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
What keeps you going towards your hair goals? It's something I've wanted for many years. Want to see how it looks on me.

What keeps you motivated? I want to prove to myself that I can grow it that long. I want a looong waist-length to hip-length braid.

MimiKeki
January 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Seeing pictures of other ladies with hair that I dream of (i.e, all of you haha), and also when I see pictures of myself when I had short hair, and how awful I looked with it. Also, when I buy a new hair toy, that does encourage me to be patient somehow.

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, buying hair toys keeps me on track. I only buy them when I am feeling really down about my hair.

LawyerGirl
January 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Me too, and I want it to be waist length!

:) I want long pretty waves, BSL+. That keeps me patient for a proposal as well, since I have a LONG way to go!

Ven
January 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
I told myself I would make tailbone length. Once I make that goal, I can do anything. Chop it all off or try for longer. Until then, I am not giving up. That, and my hairstick collection. Those two thoughts keep me going.
~Ven

butterflykisses
January 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Seeing the pictures of the lovely hair here makes me want to see what my own hair is capable of.

I am motivated by the challenge, the experimenting, and the slow progress.

Also, even though this board has proved the opposite to me, I figure that the time to experiment and learn is while I am young. if I want short hair later on, then fine, at least I won't have any regrets about never trying for that long, beautiful hair!

wintersun99
January 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM

CestMadeleine
January 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
I agree with wedding hair. I want to have long hair for that.

Plus my hair might seem like it looks good short but only when styled and it's such an annoying and damaging hassle.

lizzyjo
January 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
What keeps me motivated is seeing pictures of ladies with hair that I can realistically have some day.

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Progress! My monthly length photos certainly push me to keep going. Also, I get more determined as the texture and overall health of my hair improves. Focusing on improving my hair care methods was especially helpful when I was feeling a bit daunted by the amount of growing I was going to need to do to reach my goal. I still get a little impatient sometimes, but I'm enjoying the journey.

sahiba
January 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
I do not have a choice :undecided I have to let my hair grow for I cannot cut it , not that I'm complaining :grin: .I want long ,very long hair an thick too. But when I go to any get togethers I see almost everybody with hair like Cinnamon Hair and this has murdered my motivation :hooched: .So I come back to LHC to drown my sorrows in it. :lol: Now to get serious, My desire is my motivation. I won't give up so fast. :)

misstwist
January 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
That it's still too short for a bloomin' coronet braid.

That's all I want. Not too much to ask, is it?

It looks like I'll need to be thigh length for this.

Curlsgirl
January 3rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
My hair looks SO much better longer.

My husband loves it and would be so disappointed if I cut it!

This wonderful place and the beautiful hair here most of all!!!

Lamb
January 4th, 2009, 12:34 AM
The realization that my hair will not look better shorter. Seriously, I don't have the type of hair that can be easily 'styled'. And I don't have the 'face' for short hair.
My hair will always look messy, so it might as well be long and messy.:D

Yep, that's it. :agree: Only, some people say I do have the face for short hair. I don't think so. :no:

jojo
January 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM
What keeps me motivated is I like to visulise how healthy my hair will be this time round at waist. Having been waist before and it was terribly damaged last time, I am quite excited that my hair will be a lot more healthy and will have the potential to grow longer.

When I feel fed up I look at the albums on here and ' ohhh and arrrrr' at the wonderful healthy hair; long and short and it makes me more positive that I can reach my goals. Long hair is my personality and although many people said it suited me short as well, I hated it I felt like an alien had invaded me, now my hairs getting longer I feel more confident about myself.

Katrina
January 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
The same realization as girlcat36 said: my hair will not look better shorter. It is also much easier to manage now (straigter and heavier, don't need to wash often).

And I'm looking for new updos that I would like to try later, when my hair is long enough. It helps a lot :D.

LutraLutra
January 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I've never had long hair, ever, even when I was a little girl. This is the right time for me to grow. :)

Just_Isabel
January 4th, 2009, 05:03 AM
1) I love long hair!
2) I looked better with longer hair.
3) Short hair isn't as easy because you can't put it up in many ways. :lol:

I do not have a choice :undecided I have to let my hair grow for I cannot cut it , not that I'm complaining :grin:

I'm curious, why can't you cut your hair? Why don't you have a choice?

HotRag
January 4th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I keep growing because I have no reason or will to cut it.

Jamme
January 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I remember seeing an old pic a while ago, and being almost overwhelmed over how good my hair looked - really long and shiny, I though. Now I'm beyond the lenght I was at the time the picture was taken :)

Also, being able to do more updo's is really motivating. Learning new ones here has definitely had a great impact on me.

Recieving compliments motivates me as well - everyone needs a little ego boost once in a while :p

WavyGirl
January 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
What keeps you going towards your hair goals? I love long hair and it's always been a dream of mine to have it. It just feels more like "me" than the short styles I've tried over the years. That and sometimes I just "need" to wear it up as nothing else feels right. Not good when it's too short for a ponytail. I'm too lazy to spend the time every day making my short, wavy hair behave.

What keeps you motivated? Knowing that if I cut it short the novelty will wear off fast and I'll be facing more years of dodgy growing out lengths.
As I get older I am getting more interested in using healthy, natural products and accepting myself. Both are easier for me when I have long hair.
Looking at the pictures here and reading the entries from people with a similar hairtype who post about all the things I can relate too. Knowing there are so many others on the same journey really helps. So do all the tips on how to cope with the waves.
Trying new treatments when I get frustrated with the wait.

Dreamernz
January 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Longing with impatience to be able to do more dos on my hair sure does motivate me, even the dream of having a nice and long plait, rather than a stubby one. I'm also finding the treatments that work for me, making my hair beautiful, it leaves me dreaming of it looking like that except really long and it makes me happy :D

30isthenewblack
January 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
What keeps me motivated is being surrounded by people on this forum who are supportive, share my hair goals and are on hand to offer a compliment, tips or well meaning advice. I also like seeing progress pictures of the various members, measuring my hair and taking progress pics. My family and friends are aware of my hair goals as well and are always encouraging me, giving me compliments about my hair and asking me about my hair. It hasn't been hard to stay motivated. I just want to keep on doing what I have been doing with small tweaks here and there and keeping the status quo with my hair.

ImperfectBrat
January 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
What keeps you motivated to reach your hair goals ?

For me, it's a few things.

Remembering being 10 and having hair to mid back
Having my kids see me with my hair down and having them say "Mom, your hair is really long !"
My future hubby saying how much he likes my hair now and how much it has changed
The fact that I am being good to me and its helping me get to my goal of long healthy hair !

DecafJane
January 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I love looking at pictures of me with much longer hair, and I also love the thought of being able to put it up into a french twist without having to pin back the side section on the side where your hair needs to be longest.

I am also desperate to be able to use my toys in more fun and interesting ways. Hair toys are a huge inspiration for me, as funny as that sounds.

Delila
January 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Honestly? Indifference and laziness.

I've never been fond of styling my hair, since the effort I put into it seldom showed, and for me the main blessing of updos is that they can be so quick and easy. Put it up and forget it. Ahhh!!!

If I cut my hair, I'd have to go back to the daily styling struggle, and honestly, it's not worth it. I'd much rather have hair I can ignore. Long hair helps me do that. :)

Shadow
January 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
In a nutshell?

Vanity. Pure, unadulterated vanity :gabigrin:

DiyaC
January 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I've never had long hair in my life. Never ever. And I live in long-hair-land - India. Looking at all that long hair keeps me going, motivating me to get there too.

Tressie
January 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yep, that's it. :agree: Only, some people say I do have the face for short hair. I don't think so. :no:
Lamb, I'll bet that "some people" was a hair stylist?? LoL! Just kidding! I've heard that too, and it really WAS a hair stylist! (o:

sorry for the mini hijack!

ETA: I am motivated by the fact that long hair is "special" IMHO. Anyone can have short hair, but it takes time, and patience (LOL) to achieve healthy long hair. I also think that long hair suits me and I do believe that a woman's hair is her "crowning" glory. Also, it's so nice being able to put it up in a lovely chic style.........then you can always "let your hair down, down, down...." sometimes! (o: (o:

strwbrry dakri
January 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I have never never never had hair much past my shoulders. I will be 50 (OH my!) in a few days. I owe it to myself to see if I would like it long, plus, I'm tired of constantly trying to tame it into some sembelance of a style every day for work.

GlassEyes
January 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Because I want it. And I will have it. xD

Really, I just like the idea of having long hair; having it brush different parts of my body as it gets longer, being able to pull it back and ignore it, seeing how long it can grow. It's easier, too, than short hair as far as maintenance as well.

Chromis
January 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I keep growing because I have no reason or will to cut it.

This! :rockerdud

Periwinkle
January 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
TBH, I feel like growing my hair is the only thing I can do.

I hate having my hair down, so I always wear it up. I'm too lazy to straighten or curl or arrange or do anything to my hair apart from get it out of my face. I'm definitely too lazy to get it cut!

So, I can either go for bland, mid-length hair, long enough to get out of the way, and get it chopped every so often because I'm too lazy to maintain, or let it grow, which is less bother, and have it be more interesting because long hair is different and you can put it up in lots of ways and a lot of people think they can never have it. I'd far rather be interesting!

When I cut my hair, it will be for good. Maybe that won't happen. I do think about it, but I know that right now, shorter hair isn't right for me, and so I have no choice but to go the 'long way round'. :)

anniefish
January 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
The way my hair looks when it's short/shorter is my main motivation for growing it long :)

Tangles
January 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
The fact that I've already come a long way pretty quickly (shoulder to almost midback in 6 months).

nimeera
January 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Little moments of pleasure:

Braiding your hair into traditional Persian or Indian braids and realizing that you really DON'T need hair extenders anymore to get the 'authentic' look.

Looking in the mirror and pulling a strand down straight, and realizing just how long it is (and that it really IS longer than it was a year ago, if you pull it down straight).

Watching your 6 year old neice swing her hair around over the holidays, then having your mom and sister badger you to show her how it is REALLY done, then letting your hair out of the updo and seeing the neice's eyes open wide with surprise (she's never seen it down!), then proceding to teach her several old traditional dance moves of the middle east where the women swing their hair around wildly (seriously, there are some dances that are ALL about the hair!)

Being asked by the audience in expressions of awe whether it is real, and being told that it smells so nice (grin).

Sitting down one night after a long day, passing your husband the comb, and letting him comb it gently while you close your eyes and relax.

...Need I say more?

nimeera
January 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Oh, and if you want to see some photos of traditional long braids, you can go to http://www.silkroaddance.com/ and click on Repetoire. It is hard to see in some of the photos, but the long styles are in 1-8 braids. They can be ended with a tassle, or wrapped in pearls, or left long with spiralling tails on the ends.

I danced with this company for 7 years. We learned very quickly how to braid or remove long braids, adding extensions if required, and decorate them - in 10 minutes or less as the hair had to change to match each dance we performed!

NebraskaChick84
January 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hey there! just thought I would post this to inspire and encourage one another with our hair goals. My question for you is this...What keeps you going towards your hair goals? What keeps you motivated?

For me its seeing myself in an old picture 10 years ago, during my hs days and just thinking how nice it looked and how pretty and feminine it looked. I also think I look better with longer hair as well.
Sadly I really didn't appreciate my long hair that much when I had it. Now that's it gone, it's like...Argh! What did I do?!! LOL!!
But yes, I want to have that feeling, and I think it would be wonderful to have long hair again.. :)

How about you?

Blessings
same for me :) only mine was like 9.5-8.5 years ago. I really remember being 16. I miss being 16. I was hot. I weighed 130lbs, waist length hair... now my hair is barely APL and I can't even get up over 115lbs. :(

socks
January 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Growing my hair longer is an obsession. I hate how "short" it is now (yes, 66" isn't long enought for me :lol:), and I really couldn't stand the thought of it being any shorter. Thus, I let it grow, and have never found a pair of scissors to be tempting.

suicides_eve
January 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
What keeps you going towards your hair goals? Pictures of my hair from when my daughter was born, it was so long and curly. not to mention the fact dbf loved it as well.. he used to love playing with it.. it was hard to do that with a pixie cut he said. But...it's growing out super fast hoping by the end of 09 to hit my goal of past bsl

What keeps you motivated? everyone eles' pictures of there growing out stories, dbf's constant support and accomplishing mini goals

saak86
January 5th, 2009, 03:55 PM
me and my hubby love long hair sooo much
it's like a gift for him

METABUZZ
January 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I like to do complicate updo's, so when longer is the hair, funniest is the updo :-)

MsBubbles
January 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
The thought that if I actually do achieve waist-to-butt length hair in my lifetime that I have somehow beaten the 'bad hair genes' that seem to run in my family. Scissor-shaped dna :p. I honestly believed until I found LHC, that it was physically impossible for me to have my own natural hair at waist length. Granted, I haven't got there yet, so it may still never happen, but then again I never tried growing it for 5 years straight and always cut it at about the 2 year mark (BSL).

Achieving what I previously thought impossible. That's what keeps me going.

girlcat36
January 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I feel the same way Ms Bubbles!

My hair seems impossible to grow to those lengths--I've been trying for 17 years! No one outside of LHC knows my hair goals. I am afraid if I tell people I will fail to get to my goal, and then I will just look silly.

sahiba
January 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm curious, why can't you cut your hair? Why don't you have a choice?

Because my religion does not allow me to. I am a sikh and it is a sin among us to cut hair. So I have never cut or even trimmed my hair. :)

TheBarnSwallow
January 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have had all sorts of length hair since I was a kid, well except for super short hair, from chin length bob to near bottom experiences I have had them all, but as I have grown older I realize that our hair is a crown and we should be proud to be women who can grow our hair out and still know we are women.. I am currently growing my hair out for Locks Of Love something my DD did when she was 11, if my dd can do it so can I... Women of Long Hair Unite.. ha ha

neon-dream
January 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I just love my hair, and the longer the hair, the more there is to love!!

sibilum
January 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
It's funny, because when I was younger and I decided to let my hair grow, I was always unsuccessful because at a point, usually when I was at shoulder length, I would go crazy and cut it again. I didn't have the patience and I loved to change styles.

Now I don't have that urge anymore. In fact, I dread going to the hair dresser. But I will have to because I tried to self trim and it was a disaster. In 6 months I will have to find someone who I can trust to trim my ends.

I don't have to make an effort to keep up with my goals, but certainly I LOVE to look at all the long hair pictures here. They are such an inspiration!

Arctic
January 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM
This is so many faceted question it's hard to answer :D

Well, first of all I have never had a long hair, and I was to try it once in my life. Then we add some cups of stuborness into the mix and there's the basic motivator.

This community is a huge motivator, as well as measuring and length photos. I take photos every month but they really show progress if I look photos that have several months between them.

Trying my best to be positive about my hair. Huge factor.

Dreaming and visualizing my hair at my goal length.

I love braiding and making updos so that's a big motivator too.

MsBubbles
January 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I feel the same way Ms Bubbles!

My hair seems impossible to grow to those lengths--I've been trying for 17 years! No one outside of LHC knows my hair goals. I am afraid if I tell people I will fail to get to my goal, and then I will just look silly.

Well I'm cheating somewhat in that my hair is dead-straight and easy to measure, whereas I'm sure if your awesome curls grew an inch you may not be able to tell immediately :). And I agree, I haven't told a soul outside of LHC about my hair goals either. In fact, I have a fear that someone I know IRL will bust me here, blab about it and they'll all laugh at me :o.

paper
January 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Seeing all the people here with beautiful long hair. :crush:

Supportive online friends that are growing their hair or love long hair. I don't talk about my hair much in real live.

Taking progress pictures every month, seeing my hair get closer and closer to my goal. Also, setting mini goals help too.

EdG
January 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
My question for you is this...What keeps you going towards your hair goals? What keeps you motivated?Uhhh... laziness? Benign neglect? :hmm:

I didn't have specific goals when I started growing my hair in 1990. I just wanted long hair. That was before any hair boards existed or the Internet became widespread.

Years went by and long hair just happened. :)
Ed

Just_Isabel
January 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Because my religion does not allow me to. I am a sikh and it is a sin among us to cut hair. So I have never cut or even trimmed my hair. :)

Oh, I feel silly now. :o I somehow missed seeing your length under your picture, so I thought your hair was shoulder length. :silly: It all makes more sense now. :lol:

(Sorry for the hijack.)

saoriiroas
January 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Motivation #1: My bf would leave me for a woman with long hair if I had short hair. >:)

#1: I had never had long hair in my life, and the golden ratio says I should be either 24 or 40 inches long...I was tired of pixi cuts and I finally know the quality, and even the color of my natural hair, and I like it.

#2: I live in Arizona, and there are a lot of Native Americans around here with knee+ length, I feel it is almost a sign of solidarity for native peoples to grow long, and to be proud of their beautiful hair.

#3: One day, I want a braid that is long! Even though my hair is longish, I have what seems to me to be a short braid...

Medvssa
January 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
My main motivation is that I do not like short hair. I have never cut my hair because I wanted it short, but for other unfortunate circumstances. So what can I do but wait? :lol:

sahiba
January 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh, I feel silly now. :o I somehow missed seeing your length under your picture, so I thought your hair was shoulder length. :silly: It all makes more sense now. :lol:

(Sorry for the hijack.)

No its totally o.k. :grin: Actually my avatar pic. is my son's hair and his are small yet . o I guess it is obvious to mistake his hair to mine.:)

chrissy-b
January 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
And I agree, I haven't told a soul outside of LHC about my hair goals either. In fact, I have a fear that someone I know IRL will bust me here, blab about it and they'll all laugh at me :o.

I haven't told anyone either for fear that they'll think it a bit odd. It's not that I care so much what other people think, but I've got enough people in my life telling me what they think I *should* do with my life that I don't want to give them yet another thing to nag about.

I do find that the only thing that keeps me motivated is this forum. Whenever I'm feeling down about my hair, or wanting to cut I just peruse the albums here and while sometimes it makes me feel like I'll never get to those lengths, most of the time it gives me hope that someday my hair will be that lovely too.

lapushka
January 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Right now? Hairtoys, even though I have no desire to cut anyway. ;)

galleth
January 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'd like to have waist length hair for my 30th birthday! (I doubt that is possible, but I'd still like it!)

Girltron
January 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Oh, heck, that's easy. It's a lot more trouble to cut my hair than it is to leave it alone! Motivation=NOT REQUIRED. Laziness!

Besides, I LOVE it when I leave my hair down for the first time around someone. Mostly they have no idea it's this long, because my buns aren't really that big. Eyes bug! Very good.

Loviatar
January 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Everyone's lovely photos on LHC
My old photos when I was at waist aged 9, then again with black-dyed hair to waist aged 17
My BF, who threatens me with henna mud when I muse on pixie cuts
The fact I look more overweight with short hair
The utter faff it has taken to get from pixie to 23 inches!

oh and hairtoys.... mmm the pretties... can't use them with short hair!

Misery
January 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
laziness, mostly.

It has to be at least halfway down my back for me to be able to tie it in a knot and have it stay up that way without the aid of hair ties or sticks.

I'm also curious as to how long it will actually grow.

Sissy
January 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I think I'm motivated because I've had long hair all my life and want to keep it that way. I am also coming to consider it as a whole body health routine. I adore long hair and always have. My husband also loves it and that is another motivator as of course I want to look nice for him. Since joining LHC I've been extremely motivated by looking at the photos of others here... it's like inspiration. There are some beautiful heads of hair floating around this board!

goodluckcharm
January 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kZHBH88Bc_c/SUgJUYSdnrI/AAAAAAAAANQ/cZ6ntdOrmms/s1600-h/untitled.bmp

Seeing how beautiful this actresses hair is, and knowing that mine can be similar!

goodluckcharm
January 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The picture didn't link, but it was supposed to be a photo of Rachelle Lefevre, with gorgeous curly red hair, BSL length.

LovingLife
January 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Measuring it from two months and a bit and seing 1/2 and inch growth, first I was sad, then I realised that if I doubled that because of how curly my hair was it was an inch! In two months!!! Which meant my hair was growing exactly like it should! And I just needed to wait!

nowxisxforever
January 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Quite honestly? Laziness!
I'm plenty happy with how long my hair is now, but I want it longer.... but I also don't want to cut it or bother trimming it to keep it the same length, so I just let it be.

That's how it's gotten to classic length! :)

Benign neglect FTW?

Bene
January 8th, 2009, 03:30 AM
ok, i've found a hair motivation pic (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/2396097016_bdfd3d32b2.jpg) while stumbling around online

that's roughly the length i want, that's my hair color and close to my texture. this is what i imagine (and hope) my hair will look like when i reach my goal. saved for days when i'm feeling like chopping.

winter_star
January 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I've always had long hair and always will! I am having a major growth stunt at the moment so my main aim right now is to look after it and keep it healthy.

My inspiration is here at LHC and when I feel the brush of my hair against my lower back and arms.

30isthenewblack
January 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
ok, i've found a hair motivation pic while stumbling around online

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/2396097016_bdfd3d32b2.jpg

that's roughly the length i want, that's my hair color and close to my texture. this is what i imagine (and hope) my hair will look like when i reach my goal. saved for days when i'm feeling like chopping.

This is a really good match. I can visualise your hair being at this length :smile:

Ms. Hollywood
January 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
All I have to do is look at a picture when my hair was waist length or longer and I no longer want to cut it! :cheese:

BlndeInDisguise
January 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Well, I don't cut because I'm a Christian and have long hair for religious reasons. I guess that's motivation enough to not cut. :)

Christina
January 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
A picture of my hair from before I cut it...and looking at all the pretty hair jewelry online! I can't wait for my hair to be long enough for a pair of sticks.
I guess what motivates me is knowing that this time around, i won't take my length for granted and will appreciate my hair much more.

Ash
January 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Curiosity, mostly to see how long my hair will get. I want to go from one extreme (shaved head) to the other (terminal).

RedButterfly
January 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I imagine what my hair will look like super long and that keeps me motivated. I also have some beautiful Kinuko Craft prints of faeries and princesses with long, curly and wavy hair that motivates me to keep growing my hair and not to straighten it!

ItalianFlower
January 9th, 2009, 02:47 AM
The longer my hair gets, the better it looks, the more compliments I get...plus, my boyfriend loves it long! :) Nah, for me it's about the fact that I've never had it long and so by golly it's going to be long one of these days. Also, I have this veil thing that is exactly how long I want it and I WILL NOT cut more than a half inch off until it's that long (says my goal to myself ^_^).

Brownie
January 9th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Some strands of my hair are always hanging in my face when its short and I hate this :D I could swear that it has a will of it's own and I can handle it better when it is long. Above all, long hair is simply beautiful ;)

English is a foreign language for me, please tell me if there are mistakes!

JamieLeigh
January 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Well...being THIS close to my first major goal certainly doesn't hurt my motivation!! :p

I think the major thing that has kept me striving towards my goal length is the love and support of my real-life and my online friends. I am told everyday by at least one person in my life that my hair is beautiful, and I am beautiful, and that if it makes me happy, I should keep growing. It NEVER hurts to have positive reinforcement in your corner. :D

sammie883
January 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Knowing I look much better with long hair.

spidermom
January 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've been telling everybody since I was a little child that one day I would have hair past my rear end. But I was impulsive and kept getting it cut or permed or colored. I finally decided in my mid-40s that I'd better grow for it. Plus my grandmother had long hair, and I loved combing/brushing it when I was little. I hoped that I would have a granddaughter who would love doing that for me. My DIL was expecting my first grandchild when I officially started growing out my hair.

At first my motivation came from seeing my hair get longer than it had ever been before. Lately my hair really annoys me, and the only thing keeping me from cutting it is that I'm so close to my goal; another 5-6 inches only.

Finoriel
January 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM
It´s interesting to read all your motivating thoughts :).
I´m not even motivated enough to set a real goal length :silly:. I´m just growing along and am curious to see where it takes me. Works fine since 8 years :wink: benign neglect and simply ignoring it seems to make up for the significant lack of motivation.

kdaniels8811
January 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I cut my hair shoulder length once and hated it. Just feels way too short so I have been growing it out ever since. It never got past armpit length - due to breakage, hard water, whatever. Finding this site has been a god send, I have sucessfully used henna, the honey lightening treatment, SMT, and catnip and my hair is in better condition then ever before. If it grows longer, wonderful, if not, it really looks healthy! Hair toys are a hoot, too. I have been wearing my hair up for years with bobby pins, maybe they are part of the breakage? I started tracking my length and will see if I gain any length. I would like waist length, even at "my" age, over 50. People ask when I am going to cut my hair short and I tell them never! Thanks so much to all of you for the great information. I do not post very much but I am a great lurker. KD

SweetPea88
January 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I just love the look of a really long single braid down the back. I love all of the styles that I can wear and just having flowy long hair. Also, my fiance keeps me very motivated. He knows how much I love my hair long and that I would instantly regret it if I decided to go short.

Cai
January 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM
As a child I wasn't allowed to have long hair (too much work for my mum) but I always wanted to. So, as soon as my parents didn't interfere anymore, I started growing it out, but never reached much further than midback (I didn' try too hard then).

What keeps me motivated, are mainly the pictures and stories here on this board and in a german forum I found, where I see people with similar hair and much more length than me.

savi
January 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Loads of love and patience.. and ignoring it.
Feeling the long strands is so rewarding to me that it's my main motivation. Seeing the difference in lenght is just a bonus. ;)

backtolonghair
January 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Loads of love and patience.. and ignoring it.
Feeling the long strands is so rewarding to me that it's my main motivation. Seeing the difference in lenght is just a bonus. ;)

So I guess in the case of hair in some ways ignorance is bliss:)

kam984420
January 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
So I guess in the case of hair in some ways ignorance is bliss:)

Its good to see you backtolonghair.

Xandergrammy
January 10th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I use pictures for motivation too, but the ones that are the most motivating to me are the current every day hair pictures. I enjoy seeing the way my colors are growing in.

SafoByMengin
January 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Last days I was able to cut my hair. It's APL and - I think - annoying a little bit. But there was 2 things that made me motivated and still growing:
- my friend who started to learn about haircare and growing told me that she can't wait for long hair. Also said that it's not a good idea for me to cut it off and I should grow it longer. Before she started to be interested in HAIR, she thought that short hair is feminine, long hair not and always told me that I look better in bob than in long hair. The funny thing - she never see me with long;)
- I met my another friend who is growing hair after years of having all kind of short combinations. She's the most honest person I've ever met. And guess what she said? That my hair is really beautiful and there is a diffrence like heaven and hell from the time I started to care.

After that I received my new pictures. And all I can say - my hair is really longer and healthy looking. I can't cut it now, when I'm so close to reach my goals.

harpyangel
January 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm 6 foot tall so long hair would DEFINITELY look better on me than shorter hair.

Angel xxx

LilyMunster
January 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Remembering my Aunt Olivia's calf length hair when I was very young. I was just in awe. And she made it look easy to take care of. Never wore it up. I would love to attain half of that. (or all of it would be better).
And seeing growth/improvement in my own mop.
My husband loves it.

backtolonghair
January 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Its good to see you backtolonghair.

Hey it's good to see you too!:) How's your hair growing process going?

pariate
January 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Um... the fact that I have so few other distractions in my life! :lol: I know, I need to rectify that soon. Hobbies would be good!

Seriously though, I think learning how to care for wurly hair in such a way that doesn't leave me looking like a poodle on a bad day was a huge motivator. Now that I can enjoy the texture and overall appearance of my hair, I want it as long as possible so that there's more to enjoy! I wouldn't want it long if it weren't healthy and aesthetically pleasing to my own eyes.

kam984420
January 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey it's good to see you too!:) How's your hair growing process going?

Its coming along. Im going to have to get the back trimmed up so the front and sides can catch up. I want to get the front and sides caught up so i can have a "blunt hemline" as some call it. Give it 18 months and it should be down to my shoulders. I can't wait!!!!:cheese:

ReddishRocks
January 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I love the way my hair feels on my bare shoulders and back. :D I can't wait to find out what it feels like on my backside...? :eyebrows:

All the men in my life love it long, and I have had it uber short in the past. I don't really care, so I don't mind humoring them. ;) I love my color, so the more of it I have, I guess that also makes me happy!

sedonia
January 11th, 2009, 09:34 PM
1. I'm a belly dancer and need/want stage-worthy, belly dancer-y hair. People do not want to see office hair or soccer mom hair on a dancer. I'm tired of wearing falls and extensions. They feel and move fake. I want my hair to enhance my dancing by moving as an extension of my body (if you want to see a good example, go to youtube and search for Ansuya).
2. Right now, for me, short hair seems frumpy on me. I had short hair for 10 years, and also during that time I was battling being moderately overweight. I've shed the weight as my hair has grown over the past year, so the long hair has some symbolic associations. I don't EVER want to be frumpy again, either in mind or body. (please note I do not think all short hair is frumpy. Some people look hawt with it)
3. I really like the idea of annoying the heck out of everyone who thinks women over 40 should be sensible and cut their hair.

sedonia
January 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Oh, and I just got to the point where I do my own trims. I like not paying $25 plus tip every month to maintain the short hair cut. I am using a CV shampoo bar and unrefined shea butter and a tiny bit of cheap styling gel as my only hair products -- all cheap and they last a long time. Before, I was constantly buying shampoo, conditioner, root volumizer, mouse, hairspray, serums, etc.

GoldenBreeze
January 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I don't know. I think when it comes to my hair length goal I've become a "set it and forget it" type of girl. Deciding whether I was going to grow my hair long was the difficult part of this hair journey. Once I decided, that was the end of it. Now I just care for my hair, and allow it to grow at it's chosen pace. :)

backtolonghair
January 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Its coming along. Im going to have to get the back trimmed up so the front and sides can catch up. I want to get the front and sides caught up so i can have a "blunt hemline" as some call it. Give it 18 months and it should be down to my shoulders. I can't wait!!!!:cheese:

Cool! Sounds good!:) Hope you reach your hair goals soon!
Blessings

rapunzhell13
January 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I don't know. I think when it comes to my hair length goal I've become a "set it and forget it" type of girl. Deciding whether I was going to grow my hair long was the difficult part of this hair journey. Once I decided, that was the end of it. Now I just care for my hair, and allow it to grow at it's chosen pace. :)

I admire your relaxed attitude. :)

Sammybunny711
January 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Knowing that the longer my hair gets, the happier I am with my self and who I am naturally helps me to stay motivated. I also rest in the knowledge that growing out one's hair can REALLY be an excellent teacher in patience. So, when my hair doesn't seem to be growing as fast as it usually does (like this month's slower pace), I just rest in knowing that it is growing even if I can't "see it."