PDA

View Full Version : The least damaging style

kaaatie
January 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Please help me decide how best to wear my hair on an every day basis. Should I use a scrunchie (any particular fabric?) or hair sticks, or can I use clips? Should I have a bun or is a ponytail/braid protective enough? Please tell me some of your favourite everyday styles.

I have dry hair that tangles easily and gets super dry and damaged.

Thanks in advance!

OhioLisa
January 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
I think a bun would be better, simply to protect the ends. You can use scrunchies, silk or satin being the least damaging. Sticks and forks are definitely better than clips. You can add a bit of oil to the ends of your hair before putting it into a daily updo as well to better protect your ends. :)

A cinnabun is an easy everyday do to get you started.

Curlsgirl
January 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I agree a bun probably is the best way.

Instead of a bun because I don't really like the way they look on me I do a figure 8. Since the ends are still tucked in I think it is pretty protective too. I usually secure it with a fork or stick. I oil the ends too before I put it up.

sahiba
January 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Why not oil your hair before bunning it in whichever convenient style you want? I'm sure it'll help.

Loviatar
January 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Damp bunning is also good, especially with a blob of leave-in conditioner on the ends. I try to vary how and where I put my buns, though, and which way I twist the ponytail, to minimise damage.

I also braid, then fold the braid up the back of my head, and tuck the (oiled or conditioner covered) ends in, before fixing with a stick or a clip. I use velvet scrunchies sometimes but sticks and Ficcare/Fakkare clips work best for me.

inspiral
January 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
i like braided buns held with hair sticks, that way its protected by the braid, and no hair tie on the end:D

Melisande
January 15th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Lazy wrap buns are a gentle way of containing the hair. I damp bun a lot and use Fox' sheabutter all the time. It has made a world of difference for my dry ends - moisturiye them, contain them.

Sticks and ficcare are gentle, but so are good forks and flexi 8s. Don't pull the hair too tight.

BlackfootHair
January 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM
When my hair was long enough to clip, I used to oil it wet and wind it up and use a clip to hold it. It was like my version of a bun, since it wasn't long enough to actually do a bun. I use little pony tail holders that are soft from Walmart or Target. I have something like these (http://www.countryclubsupply.com/servlet/Detail?no=9533) in just black. I also love these (http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=12&pid=23&lp=8) for regular pony tails. They are small, so no gigantic scrunchie over taking your head. :)

Katze
January 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
What about when your ends get kinked/bent from putting them up? No matter what I do, my thin, fine, fragile ends seem to get damaged if I contain them (elastics, pins) but also even if I tuck them into a twist or something. They seem to rub against other hairs and get tangled, or bent in some odd way. It doesn't seem like I am doing my hair much good if the ends are constantly bent, because they get white dots... :confused:

Nera
January 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM
for protective updos: I love to make french braids. it makes my hair softer and less crunchy. I put coconut oil in the tips.
A ponytail isn't as protective as a bun or braids, at least, for my dry hair.

harley mama
January 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Damp bunning is also good, especially with a blob of leave-in conditioner on the ends. I try to vary how and where I put my buns, though, and which way I twist the ponytail, to minimise damage.

I am glad I visited this thread. Lovi, I plan to start damp bunning after I add extra conditioner to the ends. My ends are the worst part of my hair and tend to dry out fast. Thanks for the tip! :D

Priska
April 13th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Are tight or loose hair styles better?. I think tight feels better, because then the pulling gets shared equally to all follicles, or so it feels. When I wear loose hairstyles, I easily feel some individual strands pulling harder and that feels breakage is about to come.

lapushka
April 13th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Are tight or loose hair styles better?. I think tight feels better, because then the pulling gets shared equally to all follicles, or so it feels. When I wear loose hairstyles, I easily feel some individual strands pulling harder and that feels breakage is about to come.

How long is your hair now?
What styles are we talking about?

Priska
April 13th, 2022, 02:13 PM
My hair is about to middle back. I've noticed this about braids, buns and ponytails... so I guess with all hairstyles. But maybe it's just me... and I don't really know which way is better.

lapushka
April 13th, 2022, 03:01 PM
My hair is about to middle back. I've noticed this about braids, buns and ponytails... so I guess with all hairstyles. But maybe it's just me... and I don't really know which way is better.

It all depends, I guess. Do you comb it before pulling it back? If so, might try just shaking it out and not doing that, see if it makes any difference. Looser braids especially if it's an English braid. Those come to mind.

memeow
April 13th, 2022, 04:17 PM
I think I know what you’re talking about. For me it’s definitely a balance—putting too much stress on my hair as I pull it back is uncomfortable, and I think over time this can lead to thinning/balding around the hairline. But I also feel like really “relaxed” styles can be painful when all the weight ends up resting on just a few hairs. When I’m having trouble hitting that balance I find sectioning helps—French or Dutch braids distribute weight better than English, and buns where you wrap pieces in a bit at a time can feel better too. I feel like a crown braid would be a great solution but I can never get the “corners” to come out okay on them…