PDA

View Full Version : Wooden forks/combs

akka naeda
March 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I have been told I can have hair stuff as a pressie :happydance:
I have been wondering about Baerreis stuff for a year or so, I particularly like the chakti viga wood, but my main problem is I have no idea how to use a comb/fork.
Is my hair too long (~53") for using such things? I think most people I have seen on here using forks have hair quite a bit shorter than mine, but on the Baerreis website, not the Etsy site, they do have combs/foks with prongs of 6" which I might get away with using.
Can I use two or are the prongs too thick to combine that way? I have two Quattro U-pins which I can hold a plaited bun with, put in on opposite sides of the bun.

eresh
March 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have no fork technique myself (yet!), but my friend Eadwine placed a fork of hers in my hair (about 56") and it worked like a gem!
The fork was 5.5", 3prong, by 60th street.

I see you have iii hair, you might need a 6".
I know 60th street does custom ones.

lora410
March 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Sure why not as long as you get one long enough. For you length I definitely suggest a 3 or more prong. I noticed the 2 prong ones have limited space to put hair into.

eadwine
March 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I'll second that 60th street. A bit cheaper too, wonderful service, and completely custom possible and constant in quality (I just put two forks on top of each other, they are identical). :)

SHADOWSCODE46
March 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I hate to hijack, or sound ignorant, but I've been wondering; are these wooden hair forks/combs safe to use in the hair? Ever since I have been seeing photographs of them here I think they are unique (I am a hair stick kinda girl), but I envision getting splinters in my hair from the hair rubbing against the natural grain of the wood. Does constant use wear off the finish? Do they have to be sanded/smoothed frequently or you have to varnish them if they get wet? Do they break easily (the teeth part, they seem like they will snap like toothpick would).

Sorry to hijack, just curious about these wooden hair toys :confused:

Sinnamon
March 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think any hair is too long for a fork, it's just the technique you use. I myself have BSL length hair so no tips for your lenght. But I think you could use the same lenght for a fork as your sticks.

Xandergrammy
March 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I think one of their forks would be beautiful in your hair. I'd get the 6" prongs. Their customer service is very, very good. You could even send an email before you order to get Martha's advice. She's a sweetie.

heidihug
March 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I have two wooden hair forks, and they never have splintered or discolored, shadowscode. One is from Hawaii, my aunt who used to live there gave it to me, and it has a shiny shellac finish. The other is some kind of hardwood - maple, maybe? that my MIL found at a craft fair; it's been sanded and stained, then surfaced with beeswax, IIRC. Because of my metal allergies, these have proven to be invaluable to me.

I have 48" hair right now, and have no problem getting them to hold my styles, though I do have very thin and fine hair. Hope that helps!

SHADOWSCODE46
March 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have two wooden hair forks, and they never have splintered or discolored, shadowscode. One is from Hawaii, my aunt who used to live there gave it to me, and it has a shiny shellac finish. The other is some kind of hardwood - maple, maybe? that my MIL found at a craft fair; it's been sanded and stained, then surfaced with beeswax, IIRC. Because of my metal allergies, these have proven to be invaluable to me.

I have 48" hair right now, and have no problem getting them to hold my styles, though I do have very thin and fine hair. Hope that helps!

Thanks very much heidihug. I think when they are photographed it doesn't do them much justice as far as the quality is concerned. They look very fragile, like thin wood chips with teeth cut into them :(.
Now I envision them to be solid and with a bit of weight, and a glass like smoothness. Is this what they ideally are like in person? I may purchase one after all :)

heidihug
March 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM
You're welcome, shadowscode. The forks I have are very similar to some of the baerreis forks you see on Ebay, quite sturdy. I plan on buying some more soon.

sapphire-o
March 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Most of my wooden forks are polished to a glass-like finish. You won't find any splinters in them. They're like plastic, except seamless and stronger. :)

I think Baerreis forks are great for thick hair as they're very sturdy. Make sure you tell them how much hair you have and they might recommend styles that's good for you.

Xandergrammy
March 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks very much heidihug. I think when they are photographed it doesn't do them much justice as far as the quality is concerned. They look very fragile, like thin wood chips with teeth cut into them :(.
Now I envision them to be solid and with a bit of weight, and a glass like smoothness. Is this what they ideally are like in person? I may purchase one after all :)

My forks are like that in person. So smooth- no roughness at all. I think you should get one. :flowers:

zift
March 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hello Akkan,
My hair's only 48" but still I can use the 60thstreet forks both two prong and three prong too but ,don't get one shorter than 6", that might be a bit short...
ETA:Forexample I cannot use ketylo forks.

akka naeda
March 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Thank you everybody. I'm still totally unsure, and will probably end up asking for a pair of 7" Baerreis sticks in the wood that I liked, and then see about a fork at a later date. Perhaps getting a 5" version for wearing with half ups, as I know that will work.
6" sticks vanish into my hair now if I'm putting the whole lot up, unless they're holding a stickless bun type thing, I don't think a fork would hold that style would it?

eresh
March 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
My 5.5" sunny skies dymondwood 60th street fork arrived today :-)
It's a perfect fit! (with ii hair!)

eadwine
March 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
And where be the pics Eresh? Hrmm??

eresh
March 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM
In my blog ;-) (public)

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Found them! :D

Shell
March 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I just got my first Baerreis fork and I love it! It holds very securely, and I'm trying it out in different styles, and yes it would hold a stickless bun just fine. I got a four pronged 5" one* (I'm only 40" or so), so you might want to try a larger one? If you're using 7" sticks--get a 7" fork.

But I'm really impressed with the hold, and how balanced it feels. I've been a hairstick girl, but I'm being converted!

* Functional length

Raederle
March 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I've got both sticks and forks by Baerreis. I think the forks are easier to use and feel a bit more solid. YMMV, of course, but I think forks, in general, require less in the way of technique, whereas the stick takes more conscious positioning.

Their sticks, at least the ones I have called tendrils, have a truly elegant shape, but the more corkscrewy shape of a Ketylo, for example, makes Ketylos easier to use than the tendrils.

lookingglass
April 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I hate to hijack, or sound ignorant, but I've been wondering; are these wooden hair forks/combs safe to use in the hair? Ever since I have been seeing photographs of them here I think they are unique (I am a hair stick kinda girl), but I envision getting splinters in my hair from the hair rubbing against the natural grain of the wood. Does constant use wear off the finish? Do they have to be sanded/smoothed frequently or you have to varnish them if they get wet? Do they break easily (the teeth part, they seem like they will snap like toothpick would).

Sorry to hijack, just curious about these wooden hair toys :confused:

My first and only hairforks are from Hippie Chick and I don't know how I lived without them. They are smooth, but seem to have a natural tooth, making it so that they do not slip. There are pictures in my album. I never get splinters; I do use them on damp hair-no problems with the finish. My natural oils and leave in seems to make them even more flexible and shiny. I LOVE THEM!!! I am the girl who breaks hairtoys. I have ABUSED these forks and they come back for more.

I actually have more forks comming from her (aka Willowthewisp on etsy.com and myspace).