PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff or dry scalp?

Angelina15
January 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hi I have a quick question for you all. How can you tell the difference between dandruff and a dry scalp? My scalp isn't usually dry, but occasionally I have a days where it tends to be dry. I bought some head and shoulders to use today, but it didn't do much. Oh and if my scalp is just dry do i put oil on it? Like coconut oil?
Thank you so much for the help!

saak86
January 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
I always use coconut oil and all dundruffs gone like magic

Katze
January 3rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
There is a difference between oily scalp and dry dandruff. Does your scalp get crusty buildup? Then it's probably oilier dandruff, and it could be your scalp isn't getting clean. Some variations, known as "Sebhorreic Dermatitis", are actually a form of eczema and point to a larger imbalance in your body's system than *just* how you wash your hair.

If they are simply dry flakes, it could be "normal" dandruff, which most people do have, or you could be sensitive to something in your shampoo or other products. Heat, color treatments, alcohol, etc. exacerbate both "dry" and "oily" dandruff.

I've dealt with various kinds of dandruff and SD for decades now, and the best things for me are natural hair care, with occasional sulfate washing. Honey, vinegar, light oilings can all work but depend a lot on what is really going on with your scalp as well as your hair type.

Head and Shoulders and other dandruff shampoos never worked at all for me...including the heavy duty ones.