PDA

View Full Version : Help with daughter's hair

heatherainsley
January 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
My daughters hair becomes so knotted that i comes out in balls. I have tried oiling, putting conditioner in water, detangling spray they just dont work. I am worried that i will have to get her hair cut. She loves growing out her hair, Does anyone have any suggestions for anything i can make at home or something not to expensive that i could Buy? Thank you for any help you can give us

HairColoredHair
January 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Does she maybe have product buildup that's causing tangles?

How does she wear her hair normally? A protective style or loose?

heatherainsley
January 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
For the most part she has it down her hair naturally is very curly at the ends.

LilyMunster
January 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Drape shoulders with thick towel. Wide tooth comb and to dry hair apply conditioner. Start combing from the ends and work your way up. I raised 2 very long haired daughters (as kids, and now actually, no shorter than waist length). Takes patience. And rinse well. Can put some conditioner on as leave in to length only, not on the scalp. Keeping the hair in braids helps to stop tangles too.

heatherainsley
January 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I think i will definitely try the braids and conditoner again, I bought her a satin cap today too in the hopes that will help to.

angelthadiva
January 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have a curly headed daughter as well...We do the Laura Ingles look for nighttime, and nearly all the time...Or other variations of it...It has helped cut down on all the tangles and tears from trying to comb them out.

I recently have begun NOT completely rinsing condish out on her when I wash, this has helped a lot! :)

Sissy
January 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
There was a thread the other day where someone was talking about severely tangled hair. Here is the thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17734

There were many good suggestions on the thread. One that I thought was very interesting was a product recommendation. It's a product for horses but it is safe for humans. It is called Cowboy Magic:
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/cowmagdetand.html

jojo
January 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Both my daughters have very curly hair, when they were little id put a bit of conditioner in a spray bottle with some water and spray a little on hair before combing. I used to be able to get a product called 'monster tangles' from Boots which was basically the same thing. I don't know if they still make this though it was 20 years ago now since my daughters were little.

karli
January 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
For my daughter, I use a lot of conditioner with cones. Although she has no split ends, she damages it more than me- diving in the sandbox,getting little cars and chewinggum in it. Normally, she wears it in a braid so it doesnīt tangle, but when sheīs been with her father(weīre divorced) noone detangles her. It could easily take me an hour to detangle it when she came home. I can really recommend the tangleteaser. She can use it herself, and itīs really effective! And now it only takes me about 15 minutes to detangle her tb hair when itīs at itīs worst! (once every fortnight)

tobikay
January 3rd, 2009, 06:36 AM
I struggled with this as well with my dd. Her hair is now longer than hip, not quite classic. She tends to get bad tangles in the back of her hair just to the left of the nape of her neck. Still haven't figured out why for sure, but a wide tooth comb has been our Godsend. Detangleing time has been cut in half. But she has basically straight hair.

One thing that strikes me about your post is that you mention your dd's curly hair. My hair is very curly and I can NEVER brush it out after it is dry. They only way I can detangle my hair is with my fingers when it is wet. If I were to attempt to comb/brush it dry I would end up with a huge frizzy mess and as much hair in the brush and on the floor as left on my head. I know that somewhere here (I haven't seen it for a while) there is a thread about curly hair, perhaps you can get come tips from there?

goodenough
January 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Tangle Teaser. We went from tears and yelling every morning to quick easy detangling. I've gotten rid of the detangler spray. This is the best hair product ever!

I agree with trying to keep it in braids, which works for my daughter. Ironically, a braid at the nape is the one thing that tangles my hair:)

heatherainsley
January 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
thank you everyone for all of your advice