PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have metal allergies?

heidihug
March 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I am severely "allergic" to most metals - inexpensive metals with nickel and other alloys in them react with my skin something terrible to the point of causing oozing sores after just a few hours. This has gotten to the point that I can't wear my original gold wedding ring for extended periods of time - evidently it has some trace alloys in it - so DH bought me a platinum one this past year.

So, what I am asking - is there anyone else out there with this problem? I have a terrible time trying to find hair toys of the barrette variety, as I can't have any mixed metals next to my scalp. I pretty much have to use scrunchies, plastic hair sticks (though if they have a metallic coating on them I have been know to react!), non-aglet elastics, etc. I love the look of the metallic pretties I see in stores and online, but the only metals I do not react to are some types of silver, gold and platinum. I've even ordered custom-made stuff in the past, with assurances from the artist that they are non-allergenic, but they have given me rashes.

I am thinking about glass hair sticks, as they are so beautiful, but I'm such a clutz I'm afraid I'll break them. Any suggestions?

Feisty Redhead
March 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. I can't wear silver, or any cheaper jewelry that has nickel or alloys either because they irritate my skin. Not nearly as bad as your reactions are though - just some red itchy bumps, and then of course there's the issue of some of them turning my skin blackish green. Yuck. I can still use metal hair sticks though, I guess my hair provides enough of a barrier so they aren't a problem. I can wear silver and cheaper earrings for a couple hours with no problems too. This has caused some issues in shopping for promise rings with my boyfriend though - I'm incredibly picky about my jewelry and there have only been a couple rings I've liked but they've all been silver. We'll probably end up going with titanium, since it doesn't have any adverse effects on my skin and it's much more affordable than white gold. Have you ever tried titanium to know how your skin reacts to it? It might be a good choice and I'd imagine you might be able to find titanium hair toys (or someone who would be able to make them perhaps) but I have never looked so I don't know for sure.

Anje
March 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I've seen some glass hairsticks, but while I like the look, I'd probably break them, too. (I may have to get ahold of a clean glass stir-rod sometime, just to try.)

There are also lots of wooden hairsticks out there. Some have finishes which might have metal salts in them for color, but a decent number are just smooth wood, perhaps rubbed with oil.

Alun
March 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Both my wife and my mum have this problem. Of course, this means that my dad and I can only buy them jewellery that is made from precious metals. It seems like a relatively beneficial problem to have ...

dagonlilly
March 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
the only time i have noticed a allergy to metal is with earrings. I can not wear cheap earrings they have to be pure gold not gold plated and sterling silver or platinum. As soon as I put them in my ear turns bright red and starts itching. other wise I have not noticed a allergy to metal.

Sidani
March 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I have a similar problem, but mine isn't as bad as yours. Sometimes I have to take my wedding band off for a couple of days ... it raises weepy blisters around my finger and it itches like mad. I have never made the connection as to what sets it off. A chemical imbalance? Something I ate? And I have to be very careful to dry under the band when I get my hands wet as that makes it worse. My sister is the same way, but hers is a little more serious than mine.

HairColoredHair
March 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I am... I wear titanium for jewelry...

And mostly wood for hairsticks (or I position them just so...) Never liked barettes anyway.

soleluna
March 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM
the only time i have noticed a allergy to metal is with earrings. I can not wear cheap earrings they have to be pure gold not gold plated and sterling silver or platinum. As soon as I put them in my ear turns bright red and starts itching. other wise I have not noticed a allergy to metal.

same here.

try wodden stuff... maybe horn combs?

heidihug
March 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I do have two wooden forks and a few leather and wooden accessories that are like fake barrettes, I can't remember what they're called right now :rolleyes:.

I have never purchased a horn comb, stick or fork - anyone have any sources or suggestions on what to look for with them?

Also, does anyone know where to find those leather slides or laces that you can wear on/wrap around a ponytail - I see Harley riders wearing them once in a while. But it's awful hard to find out where them got them while we are going 75 down the highway :)!

Sidani, yes, that's what happened to me with my wedding ring. I have not tried titanium, I will have to see if that works for me. Even my favorite jeans, Levi's, give me trouble. I have to paint the insides of the rivets with clear nail polish every time after I wash them. And I have to be very careful about which bras or swimsuits I buy, as many of them have metal circlets or slides on the straps. My skin eats right through the paint on them after just a few wearings. I believe this whole "allergy thing" is a chemical issue with my skin, I think it reacts to most metal alloys as it would a noxious substance. It gets worse the older I get, my aunt has the same issues, so I think it runs in families, too.

Alun said:
Of course, this means that my dad and I can only buy them jewellery that is made from precious metals.
Hee. I pretty much only wear jewelry over clothing, and haven't been able to wear any earrings since I was in my early twenties. I get mad at my husband if he buys me jewelry - he knows I prefer kitchen gadgets or scrapbooking tools!

Sidani
March 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Can you draw on your face with your wedding ring? I have to really be careful not to cup my chin in my left hand or rub my face where my rings actually touch me ... it looks like I've drawn on myself with a black marker. It comes off easy enough but I hate being paranoid I'm walking around with black marks on my face and don't know it. Gold seems to be the worst for doing that to me... and I can't wear gold necklace chains for the same reason .. black ring around my neck. Talk about embarrassing! Oddly enough, I can wear some cheap earrings easier than I can 14k gold ones. The gold ones tend to make knots in my ears that get infected really hurt.

akurah
March 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Also, does anyone know where to find those leather slides or laces that you can wear on/wrap around a ponytail - I see Harley riders wearing them once in a while. But it's awful hard to find out where them got them while we are going 75 down the highway :)!

You mean this (http://www.hairglove.com/)?

squiggyflop
March 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
clear nailpolish??? my friend who is allergic to nickle used to cover her cheap rings in it

rubyredslippers
March 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Even my favorite jeans, Levi's, give me trouble. I have to paint the insides of the rivets with clear nail polish every time after I wash them.

I do this same thing! Except I used slightly-coloured nail polish so I can see when it wears out. I have a heck of a time with watches--it's so hard to find one where the back of the face doesn't touch the skin, but I'm sure all of you can empathize. Nickel-alloy earrings are the worst.

I haven't had this problem with hairtoys, but then I don't have any metal ones. Just plastic, and non-metal hairties, and a few of wood. I hope to get some horn ones soon.

heidihug
March 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Akura, yes! Thanks a million for the link! I also want to try winding some leather (or other materials...?) around my ponytail as a way of keeping it in check, or I have rat's nests at the end of the day. You know, like the medieval look? I think I could manage to make those myself with materials from my craft stash or from Michaels or Joannes.

No, Sidani, I don't get a black mark, but I have to giggle at your story. That's not a good feeling - I would be taking out a compact to look at myself all day long! I get red marks after wearing metals necklaces or rings for even a few minutes. I do have a lovely coral-colored stone one that I wear occasionally (I have it on in one pic in my album), but I have the metal parts coated with nail polish. I don't use nail polish on my rings as it tends to wear off so quickly, though it does work for short periods of time.

Rubyredslippers - that's why I don't wear watches anymore. I have a few lovely, expensive ones that I got long ago that I keep for sentimental reasons. Perhaps someday I will have a DIL or granddaughter to give them to.

heidihug
March 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM
An update -
I went to Sally Beauty yesterday and bought a few things:

Set of 2 Linzi Clips (Maxi size, double hinge) - no metal near my head (yay!), I will let you know how they work. They seem like they might hold better than my other, single hinge clips...?

Magic Grip plastic hairpins from Good Hair Days - I've never used anything but regular bobby pins, but have to watch those, as when the coating comes off in any little spots, I have to throw them away.

I'll keep you posted and maybe take some pics if they work well...

Jeni
March 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
heidihug- I am severely allergic to nickle, which seems to come on everything! Clear nail polish has saved me many times. Anything that comes in contact, has to be painted. That includes the buttons on my jeans (i have a permanent scare right under my belly button from the back side of the button touching my stomach). My old pair of glasses were metal painted burgundy, well I found out that paint was starting to chip, leaving me with a itchy red blistering rash near my temples. Everyday i had to coat the glasses with clear nail polish. I have finally gotten a new pair which while it it the same color, the area touching my face is actually colored plastic! For a very only time the only jewelry I could wear was body jewelry, since it was stainless steel. I have finally found earrings I can wear, still have problems with necklaces, my neck seems to be more sensitive then my ears.

I haven't even thought about hair toys being an issue (I don't own any :(). Please give an up date about how your new hair toys work.

Jeni

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I am severely "allergic" to most metals - inexpensive metals with nickel and other alloys in them react with my skin something terrible to the point of causing oozing sores after just a few hours. This has gotten to the point that I can't wear my original gold wedding ring for extended periods of time - evidently it has some trace alloys in it - so DH bought me a platinum one this past year.

So, what I am asking - is there anyone else out there with this problem? I have a terrible time trying to find hair toys of the barrette variety, as I can't have any mixed metals next to my scalp. I pretty much have to use scrunchies, plastic hair sticks (though if they have a metallic coating on them I have been know to react!), non-aglet elastics, etc. I love the look of the metallic pretties I see in stores and online, but the only metals I do not react to are some types of silver, gold and platinum. I've even ordered custom-made stuff in the past, with assurances from the artist that they are non-allergenic, but they have given me rashes.

I am thinking about glass hair sticks, as they are so beautiful, but I'm such a clutz I'm afraid I'll break them. Any suggestions?

I'm severely allergic to sooo many metals.
I usually use hairtoys made of wood (and used to wear some glass ones before the cat and niece found them, darnit)
Sorry to hear about you not being able to wear your original wedding ring. :(

I would definitely try to find some hair toys of the wooden variety, though.
you can find several gorgeous forks and sticks made of wood on ebay and etsy.

I forgot to mention bone. You can get some nice bone carved sticks and forks off ebay or etsy.
For the most part, animal bone is made up of a material very similar to our hair, so that shouldn't cause allergies.

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
heidihug- I am severely allergic to nickle, which seems to come on everything! Clear nail polish has saved me many times. Anything that comes in contact, has to be painted. That includes the buttons on my jeans (i have a permanent scare right under my belly button from the back side of the button touching my stomach). My old pair of glasses were metal painted burgundy, well I found out that paint was starting to chip, leaving me with a itchy red blistering rash near my temples. Everyday i had to coat the glasses with clear nail polish. I have finally gotten a new pair which while it it the same color, the area touching my face is actually colored plastic! For a very only time the only jewelry I could wear was body jewelry, since it was stainless steel. I have finally found earrings I can wear, still have problems with necklaces, my neck seems to be more sensitive then my ears.

I haven't even thought about hair toys being an issue (I don't own any :(). Please give an up date about how your new hair toys work.

Jeni

I'm wearing surgical steel in my ears right now, and it has worked fine so far, thankfully. Thats been about the only success I have had with earring metals, though.