PDA

View Full Version : 1A/F/I thread

Yedda
January 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I thought it would be good to start a thread for my hair type, 1a/f/i. We can compare what is or is not working for our hair type.

For other 1a/f/i's, what is your current hair routine and what seems to be working for you?

rags
January 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Oh, thank goodness, I am not alone!! I am a newbie, but I had long hair for twenty years before health problems made me cut it short. Now I am trying to regrow, and I came here for tips. (Since all anyone else tells me is baby fine hair hasto be short!)

The one thing I keep seeing everyone say which I am not sure will work as well for me is to stretch out washes. I am trying! I am giving it six weeks - after that we'll see. It's just that thinner fine hair kind of gets so limp....

So no routines that work yet, but I will certainly be watching this thread with interest!

chrissy-b
January 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Here are two threads that might help. HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2038&highlight=fine) and HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=fine).

My hair is now a 1b since quitting cones, and I have some medium texture underneath the rest of my fine hair.

What's been working for me is a sulfate-protein-cone-free soap based shampoo followed by a cone-protein-free conditioner. I CWC twice a week and CO once a week. I use a bit of oil on my ends as a leave-in or sometimes a mix of conditioner and oil if the ends are really dry. I do a heavy oiling once a week with EVOO. I clarify and do a cassia treatment about once a month. Cassia has been wonderful in giving my limp hair volume.

WindowDressing
January 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
When my hair is above APL/BSL, y'all can see it is stick straight. Don't know where the slight wave originated but no one has curly hair in the clan.

So I don't fit this thread at my current condition of 1a 1b, and my thickness of hairs is only different because of the greys coming in coarser than my own natural blondes.

JMHO: Anyone who says that there is something wrong with what we were given needs to rethink it.

We decide what to do with it. Here at LHC, the techniques to preserve what we were given are available and revered.

Hang in there.

Hugs,
WD :)

kwaniesiam
January 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm not quite 1a, but I am definitely fine and thin. What works for me is the Jason henna highlights poo/con right now, occasionally giovanni tea tree oil shampoo when I need a stronger cleanser. Washing every day in the morning is essential for me, I find it gets very limp and see through if I sleep on it, or skip a day and its greasy. My scalp shows through since my hair is very thin as well, so I have to be careful when doing updos (though all I can do right now is a ponytail and sockbun). Henna has helped my hair bulk up a bit, and SMTs work well for moisture occasionally. ACV rinses, while making my hair soft and shiny, make it go totally flat so I only do those when I know I'm wearing my hair up.

I don't have an actual routine, as I've found switching it up more keeps my hair from getting weighted down and going limp. HTH, making the best of what you have and having long, HEALTHY hair will always be beautiful regardless of the type :flowers:

WindowDressing
January 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Healthy first as always!!! TLHC is the place for that!

As long as is the preference and is manageable for each person, that is the ultimate!

Hugs,
WD :)

DragonLady
January 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
I've gotten a bit thicker since I've been here.

What works for me so far:

SMT treatments every Saturday night.
Sunday morning, I rinse out the SMT and use catnip tea for two hours.
After the catnip, I rinse really well, then use very diluted ACV.
After my final rinse, I wait 'till my hair is almost completely dry before I try to comb it.
Then, I use one drop of Africa's Best Herbal Oil on my length (ears down) and another single drop on the very ends.

If I have to wash in between at all, I use Flex "Balsam & Protein" shampoo, diluted 50-50 with conditioner.

Yedda
January 3rd, 2009, 04:15 AM
I just started using the Nioxin system three. It's a hair line that's supposed to make your hair thicker. It's a shampoo, conditioner, and leave in spray. I'll let you guys know how it works. I don't use it everyday as recommended on the bottles though.

I am currently doing the first month of condition-wash-condition and thinking about what types of treatments I would like to start.

Yedda
January 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I just started using the Nioxin system three. It's a hair line that's supposed to make your hair thicker. It's a shampoo, conditioner, and leave in spray. I'll let you guys know how it works. I don't use it everyday as recommended on the bottles though.

I am currently doing the first month of condition-wash-condition and thinking about what types of treatments I would like to start.

I just want to give you guys an update on the Nioxin. It does seem to be making my hair thicker and healthier. It's not a dramatic result, but I don't use it every day as directed either.

The only thing I would recommend if anyone tries it, is to put a hand towel over your shoulders when applying the spray. I have sensitive skin so it turns red when the product touches my shoulders. I would make sure not to let your product and hair touch your skin right after application. It doesn't irritate my scalp at all though, it feels great.

Yedda
January 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I've gotten a bit thicker since I've been here.

What works for me so far:

SMT treatments every Saturday night.
Sunday morning, I rinse out the SMT and use catnip tea for two hours.
After the catnip, I rinse really well, then use very diluted ACV.
After my final rinse, I wait 'till my hair is almost completely dry before I try to comb it.
Then, I use one drop of Africa's Best Herbal Oil on my length (ears down) and another single drop on the very ends.

If I have to wash in between at all, I use Flex "Balsam & Protein" shampoo, diluted 50-50 with conditioner.

I read the article on catnip but I am a little confused. Do you use catnip(like my cat would have) or a different catnip tea? How do you use it?

Here are two threads that might help. HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2038&highlight=fine) and HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=fine).

My hair is now a 1b since quitting cones, and I have some medium texture underneath the rest of my fine hair.

What's been working for me is a sulfate-protein-cone-free soap based shampoo followed by a cone-protein-free conditioner. I CWC twice a week and CO once a week. I use a bit of oil on my ends as a leave-in or sometimes a mix of conditioner and oil if the ends are really dry. I do a heavy oiling once a week with EVOO. I clarify and do a cassia treatment about once a month. Cassia has been wonderful in giving my limp hair volume.

What shampoo and conditioner do you use? Do you know if they test on animals?

DragonLady
January 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I read the article on catnip but I am a little confused. Do you use catnip(like my cat would have) or a different catnip tea? How do you use it?

I use the catnip they sell for cats. I put 1 Tablespoon of catnip into a wide-mouth jar with a tight lid. I nuke 1 cup of water for aminute just-till-it's boiling then pour it into the jar, and quickly close the lid. I let it sit on the countertop 'till it's cooled, then put it in the 'fridge 'till wash day (usually a week later, as I make the fresh batch right after I use the last batch).

I wash my hair in the kitchen sink, so after I've rinsed out my SMT, I dunk the ends of my hair in the catnip, and slowly count to 60. Then, I pour the rest over my hair, but try to leave the bulk of the sludge in the jar. Chunks of catnip get everywhere -all over my scalp and down the length. I just leave them. I wring my hair out a bit (just so it's not dripping) put it -catnip and all- in a shower cap, and then wrap it all up in a towel.

I leave it for two full hours, then rinse it out with plain water. I rinse really well -several times 'till I'm sure it's all out. Then, I use 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to one cup of water to help even out the Ph. Sometimes, I can feel the vinegar reacting with whatever's still in my hair. A final rinse, and back up in the towel 'till it's almost completely dry.

The force of the water washes out most of the catnip chunks, and the rest come out easily when I comb after it's dry. So far, I've only had the catnip chunks cause one tiny tangle, and it pulled apart easily enough.

I've done this a total of seven times now, and I have to say it's made a dramatic difference in the number of split ends I find. Back in July, I was sitting on the front porch every evening giving myself the equivalent of a hair cut, one-hair-at-a-time. Now, I usually only find two or three in a week. A few more if I've been rough with it, but nothing like it used to be.

Hope that helps. :)

chrissy-b
January 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
What shampoo and conditioner do you use? Do you know if they test on animals?

I use Aubrey Organics, Calaguala Fern Treatment Shampoo. Vegan, not tested on animals and the ingredients are: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Soap Bark Extract, Yucca Root Extract, Carrageenan, White Pine Bark Extract, Organic Lemon Peel Oil, Calaguala Extract, Cade Wood Essential Oil, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Agnes Hannah
July 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I use the catnip they sell for cats. I put 1 Tablespoon of catnip into a wide-mouth jar with a tight lid. I nuke 1 cup of water for aminute just-till-it's boiling then pour it into the jar, and quickly close the lid. I let it sit on the countertop 'till it's cooled, then put it in the 'fridge 'till wash day (usually a week later, as I make the fresh batch right after I use the last batch).

I wash my hair in the kitchen sink, so after I've rinsed out my SMT, I dunk the ends of my hair in the catnip, and slowly count to 60. Then, I pour the rest over my hair, but try to leave the bulk of the sludge in the jar. Chunks of catnip get everywhere -all over my scalp and down the length. I just leave them. I wring my hair out a bit (just so it's not dripping) put it -catnip and all- in a shower cap, and then wrap it all up in a towel.

I leave it for two full hours, then rinse it out with plain water. I rinse really well -several times 'till I'm sure it's all out. Then, I use 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to one cup of water to help even out the Ph. Sometimes, I can feel the vinegar reacting with whatever's still in my hair. A final rinse, and back up in the towel 'till it's almost completely dry.

The force of the water washes out most of the catnip chunks, and the rest come out easily when I comb after it's dry. So far, I've only had the catnip chunks cause one tiny tangle, and it pulled apart easily enough.

I've done this a total of seven times now, and I have to say it's made a dramatic difference in the number of split ends I find. Back in July, I was sitting on the front porch every evening giving myself the equivalent of a hair cut, one-hair-at-a-time. Now, I usually only find two or three in a week. A few more if I've been rough with it, but nothing like it used to be.

Hope that helps. :)

That sounds useful advice, thanks!