PDA

View Full Version : long hair peek-a-boo or emo bangs/fringes

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Can you deal with peek-a-boo/emo bangs? How many of you love wearing, feeling, or just plain having your hair in your eyes and your face? what does any of this do for you? How do you feel doing this? Does this style of hair make you feel secure, pretty, sexy, or secure? i always find long fringes that fall down over one eye extremely sultry, and fascinatingly pretty. some find it annoying. as for me, ive found the style to be a signature style and i wouldnt change this for the world. i love it!!! so, anyone; what are your thoughts verses feelings?

neon-dream
January 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I prefer hair out of my face, I've never been a fan of fringes in general really.
Welcome to the forums!
:blossom:

Stubborn
January 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
For now, I have to deal with it because I'm in the awkward stage of hair growth...8 months.

I hate it right now because it's right below my eye brows but when it covers my eyes I'd be less frustrated with my hair.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
I can stand it, but it wouldn't be my choice to have my hair falling over one eye or both.

Almandine
January 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
On some people I can find it sexy, but on most I just think it looks silly (sorry). I think that's because people take it way too far sometimes, though. Example: There was a boy I used to go to school with, his fringe came down so far you could only see his mouth. I had to stop myself from laughing every time I saw him, because I honestly had no idea how he saw out of it. He must have had radar.

Myself, I wouldn't want a fringe. I have something you could call bangs that's just too short to ever hope to reach my braids or bun, but it gathers into short bunches and frames my face, so it looks quite cute. A solid fringe would not suit my face at all.

girlcat36
January 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Unusual first post.

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
yes. very unusual, but i felt compelled to create my first to the standards that most dont think about.

eaglefeather71
January 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Unusual first post. Seems to have just been lurking since May 2006.

HairColoredHair
January 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hair over one eye CAN be sultry...

Usually, though, it looks very silly.

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
lurking since may 2006? no i dont think so, as a matter of fact i know not. it's been in effect since the possibly the 1940s by an immensely pretty actress by the name Victoria Lake.

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
if hair over one eye in your opinion looks sultry, then why would it look silly at the same notion?

HairColoredHair
January 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Because it's not JUST having 'hair over one eye' that makes it sultry.

It's the bedroom eyes, the style of the hair, the attitude. Most of the kids sport emo-chop-shop-hair don't have the 'tude to be 'sultry'. Awkward, yes. Sultry... no.

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
ahhh...totally i firmly agree with you for the sake of those that the hair style doesnt fit like those kids that sport it for the sake of emotions instead of for the sex appeal. understandable.

xeternalsilence
January 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm currently growing out bangs. They weren't in the "emo" style though, but I absolutely hated them. I kind of liked how they looked on me, but I could not stand the feeling of hair on my face. And they're still too short to pull back, so unless I have bobby pins with me, I get very uncomfortable.

I agree with Almandine.
I also went to school (and dated for a short while... I was desperate) with a boy who also had bangs so long you could only see his mouth :p He did that little flip thing ever few seconds. It was hilarious... (like I said, I was desperate...)
I really think most people with bangs like the ones you're talking about just look ridiculous. I do like them sometimes, but never on any of the "emo" kids that I've seen. They just take it way too far and it's just horrible looking really.

beehives
January 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
swiftbn, I think eaglefeather71 was trying to say you've been perusing this forum since 2006, not that the style originated in that year.

By the way, the actress you spoke of was named Veronica Lake. She didn't really have bangs, just a side part.

I like thick, side-swept bangs, but they really need to be styled well. I like them soft and sleek though, not jagged / spiky like the "emo" style.

Sieren
January 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I used to have longish side swept bangs, and am actually growing them out on one side again. I used to HATE hair in my face, but now i kind of like it. I'm shy, and it gives me something to hide behind. :p Personally, I think it looks really pretty and mysterious on some people, however, the "emo hair" version...not so much ;) hehe

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
well no i have to correct you there beehives, Ms. Lake had side swept bangs. it wasnt just a part. thank you anyways for your attempt to clarify. you are greatly appreciated. and as for what eaglefeather71 was trying to say or in fact by what she meant, i feel that she was trying to be sarcastic, which for me had nothing to do with what the subject matter is about. once again, beehives, thank you!!! anyways for the record, i really dont feel thats what she meant, she meant something else.

beehives
January 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
well no i have to correct you there beehives, Ms. Lake had side swept bangs. it wasnt just a part. thank you anyways for your attempt to clarify. you are greatly appreciated.

Well, I suppose it depends on what one's idea of bangs are. Either way, she remains an inspiration. :)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/222/lakeveronicabio.jpg

vindo
January 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Unusual first post.

I only find it unusal knowing how many here do not like bangs or are at least not bothered with Emo fashion :p.

I like bangs but not to cover the eyes..may be cool for a pose but not all the time.

PS: Emo is extremely fashionable among German teens..I have seen so many styles likes that. ._.

BranwenWolf
January 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I grew my bangs out in my teens because I'd had them for a while. Now, I prefer hair off my face. Getting some air to my forehead has helped my acne problems.

For the emo bangs: I swear, every other person on campus (student body: 28K) has the bangs across their face. I think it's getting kinda old. I don't get whatever emotional mystery or sultry look it's supposed to conjure.

I'm with the others that sultry/mysterious is more attitude than haircut.

jojo
January 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
I hated growing my fringe out when it was in the face stage, personally I like to see the world out of 2 eyes not squinting through a curtain of hair! I much prefer my hair off my face these days.

GlennaGirl
January 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Call me insane, but I love the look of emo bangs/scene hair.

I hate what's done to get it, and it would look completely idiotic on me, or on anyone who doesn't have the rest of the "uniform" down (the total look, clothes, attitude, etc.)...but something about it fascinates me.

That said, I have thick-ish bangs which I usually sidesweep or else just somewhat off-part to frame my face, but I don't sweep them down over the eye; that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Hairtada
January 2nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Had to Google Emo bangs..I am so out of it!!
They look cute on the teens .
I would hate that hair tickling my face all the time.

Debra83
January 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/222/lakeveronicabio.jpg

I have Ms. Lakes bangs but opposite side...my natural part is down the right side of my head. Wish I had her other stuff too!!! ie: face....eyebrows...length...bank account....!!! lol

vampodrama
January 3rd, 2009, 02:08 AM
I had an emo bang thing going on for a while in my growth process... since I started from a buzzcut it became inevitable at one point :D

it was annoying, really. I used to have severe myopia in one eye and when the hair took half of my vision out of the equation it was pretty dumb... but hey, it looked better than anything else at that particular hair length! XD

my nephew also used to have hair covering his face completely when he was growing his hair long. it came to the point where I couldn't even remember what he looked like, because all I could see was this 6ft3in teenage version of Cousin It.... but he got over it, thankfully. :D

now, talking of the hardcore emo fashion... I love it. I can't help it, but young skinny emo guys are hot as hell.

talecon
January 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
I've had the side swept bang thing since middle school. sometimes I'd try to part my hair in the middle but it doesn't look good because I have a huge forehead. I just did a blunt cut bang but it grew out withing a week so now I'm sporting the side swept bangs again. it just seems to be the only hairstyle that makes me feel comfortable

Drynwhyl
January 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I dislike the emo style, but sometimes when I feel like hiding (most of the time lol), I let my front shorter hair fall over my face however it wants, so it's kinda like sweepy-fringe. I don't mind having it in my face.

venividibxtchy
January 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I like the look of a properly cut bang (not "emo" bangs), but whenever I get even long ones cut, I end up clipping them back or aside in some way, because they drive me batty.

smilinjenn71
January 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Currently my bangs are in my eyes and I can't stand it!:taz: I've never had a style where I didn't have bangs, so I'm trying to grow them out. I will be MUCH happier once they are long enough to pull back or tuck behind an ear.

I think bangs can be very sexy/sultry. However, in the real world, working a real job, it just doesn't work for me!

FallenAngel
January 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I had bangs/fringe in my eyes from time to time, and it did nor bother me then. Now, however, I can't stand it anymore. Don't know what has happened, but I can't use high heels with any success any more either. Guess I'm getting old. ;)

I love the emo-look, by the way.

Sissy
January 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
In my opinion, there are sophisticated/classy side fringes or emo side fringes. Personally, I prefer the sophisticated clean looking fringe. Actually, I don't wear a fringe at all... although I did do the side swept bangs when I was a teen. Now my hair is all one length. I prefer it this way as I don't have to style the bangs.

Anje
January 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
The bangs can look good, but I'm not generally a fan of the short choppy canopy hair that goes with the standard emo cut. Then again, I can't stand having my hair get in my way, so any style that I can't pull back is not for me.

On a completely weird note, I can't help thinking that it looks like Governor Blagojevich is trying to grow emo bangs himself...

eaglefeather71
January 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
well no i have to correct you there beehives, Ms. Lake had side swept bangs. it wasnt just a part. thank you anyways for your attempt to clarify. you are greatly appreciated. and as for what eaglefeather71 was trying to say or in fact by what she meant, i feel that she was trying to be sarcastic, which for me had nothing to do with what the subject matter is about. once again, beehives, thank you!!! anyways for the record, i really dont feel thats what she meant, she meant something else. In fact Beehives was correct. I was just replying to Girlcat36's post that this was a very unusual first post, and pointing out that you've been around for a while, just haven't posted. Usually a first post is an introduction to others, so I think she was a bit concerned due to the fact that there are some that come here for not so good intentions. I had no sarcastic or ill intent whatsoever.

GlennaGirl
January 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
On a completely weird note, I can't help thinking that it looks like Governor Blagojevich is trying to grow emo bangs himself...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

RavennaNight
January 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not much of a fan of emo bangs, or emo, but it's just my opinion. They remind me of CrissAngel Mindfreak too much, and I'm not his fan either. Each to his/her own, I'd be annoyed to have something in my field of vision all the time. I always thought bangs of any kind are too much work and upkeep to keep them looking right. I would need to incorporate styling products into my life, and I never could get the hang of them. Every time you start using them, they get reformulated. Too much hassle for me.

Pegasus Marsters
January 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
The whole bangs across the eye thing is getting ridiculous. It's not sexy when 95% of all teens I see have it. I mean for a start if you can't see out of one eye your depth perception will suck! And secondly the majority of teens I've seen who style it that way somehow manage to have incredibly greasy hair. So the grease from the hair rubs onto the skin, and vice versa. Eeew.

Whenever I've had bangs they've aggravated my acne. I must be biased against them because I'm sick of my skin being fail.

Tap Dancer
January 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
lurking since may 2006? no i dont think so, as a matter of fact i know not. it's been in effect since the possibly the 1940s by an immensely pretty actress by the name Victoria Lake.

Veronica Lake. :)

And to answer the original question, I can't stand having hair in my face. Growing my bangs out was a pain and I'm glad I'm past that!

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
In fact Beehives was correct. I was just replying to Girlcat36's post that this was a very unusual first post, and pointing out that you've been around for a while, just haven't posted. Usually a first post is an introduction to others, so I think she was a bit concerned due to the fact that there are some that come here for not so good intentions. I had no sarcastic or ill intent whatsoever.

You are correct, eaglefeather. Usually a first post is an introduction of one's self, and a description of one's hair and maybe how long one would like their hair to grow.
And that's all I'm going to say about it.:)

swiftbn
January 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
well, im happy to see that feathers and beehives and whoever else have enjoyed my posts soo much that it has become an original discussion. everyone is different and purely i am; which comes to reality, no one has to follow the tempo of others in this thread unless there are special rules. i didnt start off my first post the way others have in the past because it wasnt a choice that i wanted. instead i started off with this one. once again, thank you all for your discussion posts. my next post will not be of anything that describes how long i want my hair to be or whatever because im very much aware of how i want my hair, which is exactlt the way it is right at the present.

swiftbn
January 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
thank you for your post and ample correction, tap dancer. i was incorrect in the writing of Ms. Lake's first name. it is indeed Veronica, and not Victoria, although Victoria definitely fits her more than Veronica in my opinion. nonetheless, thank you for clarifying.

GlassEyes
January 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
I honestly like scene/emo hair cuts and the like. I don't know why.

They'd never work for me since my hair is, obviously, curly, but if I had straight hair, that's probably how I'd cut it. Then again, I wear skinny jeans and the like, so meh.

It is kind of generic though.

Also, I, admittedly tried to get them before I ultimately gave up. I nearly killed myself doing it, as the only way I could get my hair pin straight was to basically cake it in olive oil and straighten the length on maximum heat several times, slowly. @_@ My hair sizzled like a deep fryer.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD530348.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD530086.jpg

Greasy too. At least the first. I prefer other hair types and such, but for some reason, I still like them. Meh. I'm happier without burning my hair and skin to ashes.

swiftbn
January 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
hmmm...from the looks of it, you wouldnt wear your hair any other way other than in your eye. you have relatively short hair though. it looks as though you could see through your fringe. it's kind of pretty on you.

GlassEyes
January 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
o-o Erm, thanks...I think. But that's just straightened bangs. My hair was pretty long at the time, and i pulled it back.

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I can't stand it--having hair in my eyes drives me crazy. Plus I have a teeny tiny face, so anything beyond some face framing fringe is out of the question.

I envy people who can pull off the hair-over-one-eye look, but I am so not one of them.

gallows_gallery
January 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I've had my first ever swishy side-fringe cut in the last month (from waist length hair!). I think it looks great when I have my hair in updos - it ives a softness and shape to my face (meaning I don't look like an egg head with my hair tied back), but I'm neutral on how good it looks with my hair down.

It is also driving me INSANE at work!

Sissy
January 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
I honestly like scene/emo hair cuts and the like. I don't know why.

They'd never work for me since my hair is, obviously, curly, but if I had straight hair, that's probably how I'd cut it. Then again, I wear skinny jeans and the like, so meh.

It is kind of generic though.

Also, I, admittedly tried to get them before I ultimately gave up. I nearly killed myself doing it, as the only way I could get my hair pin straight was to basically cake it in olive oil and straighten the length on maximum heat several times, slowly. @_@ My hair sizzled like a deep fryer.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD530348.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD530086.jpg

Greasy too. At least the first. I prefer other hair types and such, but for some reason, I still like them. Meh. I'm happier without burning my hair and skin to ashes.

whoa... you are looking very "emo" in these pics ;).

I agree though, the sleek pin straight shiny style is lovely... but not worth burning hair to ashes. I have come to realize this and sworn off my hair iron

kwaniesiam
January 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I tend to find emo fashion in general rather ridiculous...bangs aren't for me since my hair is too fine and thin to even bother but they work for others.

Lady Verity
January 4th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I have to have some kind of fringe/emo bangs/front bits, because I have a diamond shaped face and quite strong features, so I look too harsh without. They do annoy me, though. I usually end up with a blonde 'Hitler fringe' when it gets too long.

Tap Dancer
January 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
thank you for your post and ample correction, tap dancer. i was incorrect in the writing of Ms. Lake's first name. it is indeed Veronica, and not Victoria, although Victoria definitely fits her more than Veronica in my opinion. nonetheless, thank you for clarifying.

Your reply comes off as sarcastic. My "ample" correction? All I did was say her name was Veronica. :confused:

smilinjenn71
January 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Your reply comes off as sarcastic. My "ample" correction? All I did was say her name was Veronica. :confused:

I've been quietly following this thread. I'm not sure if SWIFTBN means to come off as sarcastic & condescending or not but I can see where it could be taken that way. People (myself included) sometimes forget that when posting in forums or emails online, we loose the inflection of the persons voice. It takes a lot of effort to make sure others understand where you are coming from. It's certainly very easy to misunderstand ones meaning online.

My only advice SWIFTBN is to consider these things when posting. This is a very nice, happy community and you will find a lot of support here.... as long as they feel you are respectful and kind in return.:)

Stevy
January 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I've been quietly following this thread. I'm not sure if SWIFTBN means to come off as sarcastic & condescending or not but I can see where it could be taken that way. People (myself included) sometimes forget that when posting in forums or emails online, we loose the inflection of the persons voice. It takes a lot of effort to make sure others understand where you are coming from. It's certainly very easy to misunderstand ones meaning online.

Smilinjenn, you're very wise. :flowers:

CaraLynn
January 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Smilinjenn, you're very wise. :flowers:

I agree. You said what I would've liked to say but couldn't have as well as you did, Smilinjenn.

Rapunzelwannabe
January 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I love the idea and the look of those types of bangs, although the sideswept thing is more my taste. Not that I can wear anything resembling bangs without them driving me crazy, getting all greasy and piecey and gross

sneakybea
January 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I like my bangs to draw attention to my eyes, not to conceal them, but that's just me. Plus my bangs are kind of poofy/curly, and when in the growing out stage, they just get stringy and in the way.

Medvssa
January 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I actually like them. I prefer long hair with no bangs for both men and women by far, but this sort of 30's mens haircut, very short on the back but with a long side-swept fringe (perhaps originally it wasn't so long, but I like it chin lenght ;P), I really like it too.
In fact I've even sported it for some time too :) My hair was falling off by the handful due to a health problem, due to this it also grew straight for about a year. I trimmed my hair very short, and leaving this side swept fringe to chin lenght was a very nice transition. I actually liked it, although I thought I would hate it. It was severe but I think it was somewhat flattering.
When it started growing curly again I had to trim it all off though.

naturechild
January 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
has anyone heard of
after 40 bangs or botox.
I just trimmed my bangs and I look a lot younger. I am not sure I "love" them yet. They do bug me a little in my face all the time. they cover my eyebrows and my one lrg wrinkle. That I DO " love"

Kittee
January 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Am I the only person who read this thread and was waiting for the purple Cheshire cat to pop out at some point from behind the looking glass?

jastark84
January 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I think it depends on the person. One of my friends has her hair like that, and it looks pretty badass on her. On me, on the other hand, when we tried it out, looked very retarded. lol

She has the type of personality to pull it off, I suppose.

Loviatar
January 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I currently have bangs which I am growing out. The shorter part touches my nose tip. I have to aloe-gel them to the side or they drive me crazy. Just at the wrong length for everything IMO. Too long to be proper bangs and way too short to tie back in a decent style.

I am actually aiming for the Veronica Lake effect (side parted hair with side sweep.) I don't know how long her actual bangs were (you can't really see where they stop in most of her photos so I don't know if they were proper cut-in bangs or just the front of her hair, if you see what I mean) but I think I would like to have my bangs completely grown out and my hair all one length, but still have that side-swept style. Shorter bangs hanging in my face drive me nuts.

They can look good on others though. GlassEyes, your straightened bangs are great (though I have to admit to preferring your amazing curls!)

morguebabe
January 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I love emo, goth, and scene hair.

Clytemnestra
January 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have abundant, fine and wavy hair, sort of cloudlike on humid days, so when it's down it pretty much has a life of it's own, and I'll frequently get that Veronica Lake look, though it's not what I'm aiming at. Just sort of does it's own thing, I guess?

It's nice to hide behind, though, when I'm in a shy mood :)

GlassEyes
January 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I currently have bangs which I am growing out. The shorter part touches my nose tip. I have to aloe-gel them to the side or they drive me crazy. Just at the wrong length for everything IMO. Too long to be proper bangs and way too short to tie back in a decent style.

I am actually aiming for the Veronica Lake effect (side parted hair with side sweep.) I don't know how long her actual bangs were (you can't really see where they stop in most of her photos so I don't know if they were proper cut-in bangs or just the front of her hair, if you see what I mean) but I think I would like to have my bangs completely grown out and my hair all one length, but still have that side-swept style. Shorter bangs hanging in my face drive me nuts.

They can look good on others though. GlassEyes, your straightened bangs are great (though I have to admit to preferring your amazing curls!)

Thank you. XD; Though it feels odd to look at old pictures of me...though less for the hair than for then stupid nature of them. To think I liked camwhoring.

Anyway.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041012/041012_veronicaLake_vmed_11a.widec.jpg

From that and a few other googled pictures, it looks like her hair just waved out at a certain point and she didn't have bangs, only a side part, but the wave created the illusion of bangs.

brok3nwings
January 7th, 2009, 05:51 AM
many of my friends use straight fringes almost in the eye field but i do think they look lovely. But they are young... i think that when you get older you have to see what style do you have. if you think your style can stand it... i really think it deppends on your overall image and also your face shape.