PDA

View Full Version : People with hair&scalp that tends to dryness - How do you manage?

Heidi_234
January 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
I know that it's been discussed and discussed over, but I'm looking for advice and experience from those who know/suffer from constant excess dryness both of hair and scalp.
My hair is just constantly dry. My scalp gets slightly greasy on day 5 after shower, and that only if I'm lucky. I also get those little white thingies near the roots if I'm not showering for more than 4 days or so, they look like dandruff but it might be dry sebum maybe? :confused:
My length is very dry usually, and the more days pass after a shower the drier my ends get. I'm currently showering just because of this dryness. If I'm not careful, and my hair get too dry, I experience massive shed.
I oil my hair daily with coconut oil. Right now I apply it every morning, and before going to bad, but sometimes it's not enough, and I have to apply some during the day. It kind of helps, not always, or for long. SMT didn't work well for my hair for some reason. Hot oil treatment does, but it leaves my hair oil slick and it's a drag to do it all time.
Have somebody got similar problem? How do you guys keep dryness at bay?
It's hair-fatal for me due to the dryness-induced shedding. :(

Speckla
January 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
My scalp is dry and my hair is drier. Massaging and such doesn't really make my scalp product more oil. It's just dry and produces slightly less than average oil.

I massaged some oil into my scalp and then worked it through my hair, I shampooed to get rid of excessive oil. My hair is still wet but I'll let you know how it goes.
________
Hot penny stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Heidi_234
January 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
My scalp is dry and my hair is drier. Massaging and such doesn't really make my scalp product more oil. It's just dry and produces slightly less than average oil.

I massaged some oil into my scalp and then worked it through my hair, I shampooed to get rid of excessive oil. My hair is still wet but I'll let you know how it goes.
Let me know.
I do sometimes massage herb-infused olive oil into the scalp as a pre-wash treatment (I wash it out with soapnuts after a hour or so). It didn't make my roots greasy or something, but I doubt it made my scalp less dry.

jera
January 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Heidi,

I have chronically dry hair and scalp too. Experimentation is key and never giving up. Have you tried Neem oil? It's a natural steroidal which has been know to help people with chronic dry skin and scalp. It might help you.

detritus
January 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
The caramel treatment! My hair and scalp tend to be dry and sensitive to a lot of different perfumes and chemicals, which makes it hard to find hair care products. SMT didn't work well for me, if anything it felt drier and more fly away afterward. The caramel treatment makes my hair silky and soft--and doesn't weigh down my fine hair.

I make mine as such:

1 large jar baby food bananas
About 2 tablespoons each: honey, avocado oil, and olive oil
1 teaspoon vinegar

This makes enough for 2 treatments for my chin-length hair. Leave on for at least an hour. Rinse out as much as you can, shampoo twice, and condition. Then let air dry. It may feel a little weird or coated when wet, but turns super silky and soft after it dries. After a lot of experimentation with oils, herbs, etc., this is the only special treatment I continue to use on my hair. I can't sing its praises enough.

This last time I added 2-3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel as well and it turned out well. I did it just to use up the last of my aloe which I've found I don't generally like in my hair, so I'm not sure I'll add it again. I used to add cassia until I noticed I was getting a lot of color build up. I like the caramel treatment because it's very customizable. It seems like everyone who tries it really likes it, though they may need to change the ratios around a little bit to find what works best for their hair.

If I remember correctly, the original recipe used shea butter, wheat germ oil, coconut, and EVOO--and more oil than I use. I think it was originally developed for people with african type hair. The shea weighed down my hair and coconut makes me break out, so I cut back and just used oils that can penetrate the hair and aren't too heavy. The original recipe also included molasses (the color of this makes it look like caramel), but I avoid that with my light hair because I don't want it to stain. I think this recipe hasn't caught on here like the SMT just because it has so many ingredients it scares people off. But I've found that it doesn't need to be that complex. Bananas plus a single oil that can penetrate the hair shaft and little honey and vinegar is enough to do a lot of good.

Here's the thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=454

manderly
January 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I have to wash my hair by the third or fourth day because those little white things can't be hidden or brushed out of my brown hair :(

I find it helpful to go against what everyone else seems to do. I condition my scalp, massaging it it. I put my leave-in and oil all the way on the top of my head.

One thing that also seems to help at keeping the white stuff at bay (I have no idea if this is dandruff or sebum) is to use a little minty dandruff shampoo on my scalp only while the rest of my hair is coated in tons of condish.

ratgirldjh
January 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
eat some virgin coconut oil as well as applying it to your hair. it sounds like you need some good fat in your diet. i used to suffer with extremely dry skin and hair and when i started eating VCO it got lots better. also i found that for me what works great is to put a lot of VCO onto dry hair and sleep in it and then steam it the next day with hot towels and then wash it out with water only for the next few days. yes this is a hassle. but it is worth it. when the oil finally comes out (and if your hair is very dry it will take several days) your hair will be clean, silky, thick and shiny and soft. i try to do this at least once a month and then between do water only washing and occasionally shampoo with pine tar soap. hope this helps!
since i started taking the VCO daily my dry itchy skin and scalp and hair is MUCH better!!!
eat nuts too...

jera
January 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have to wash my hair by the third or fourth day because those little white things can't be hidden or brushed out of my brown hair :(

I find it helpful to go against what everyone else seems to do. I condition my scalp, massaging it it. I put my leave-in and oil all the way on the top of my head.

One thing that also seems to help at keeping the white stuff at bay (I have no idea if this is dandruff or sebum) is to use a little minty dandruff shampoo on my scalp only while the rest of my hair is coated in tons of condish.

Manderly, What are those little white things? I hate them, but because I work out daily and shampoo afterwards my hair never gets dirty. Still I can't figure out what they are. It's a head scratcher.:confused:

Just_Isabel
January 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Manderly, What are those little white things? I hate them, but because I work out daily and shampoo afterwards my hair never gets dirty. Still I can't figure out what they are. It's a head scratcher.:confused:

Very dry, dead skin, maybe?

A couple months ago, I was getting those white little things, looked like dandruff but I'm not sure if they really are that. My scalp was also sore.
I started using dandruff shampoo and conditioner and they helped my scalp a lot!

At around the same time, my skin on my legs got so dry that it also got those scaly things! It was so weird!

Because of what happened to my legs (I just made a point not to forget to use body lotion after showering anymore and that seemed to solve the problem), I have my doubts about my scalp problem really being dandruff. But on the other hand, dandruff shampoo seemed to make it go away, so... :confused:

I may have (had?) something different from you, but it could also be something similar since I also have a problem with dry skin.

As for the length of my hair: I use a moisturizing conditioner. That's the only thing that helps.

I like oils (especially coconut oil) for oil treatments, when I soak my hair with it and leave it on for hours, but they don't work for me as leave ins.

manderly
January 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
jera, I have no idea. All I know is they are the reason I have to wash at all. I think my hair could go for at least a week if not for the invasion of the "snow".

Euphony
January 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I've experienced dryness almost like this, just not quite as bad. How much water do you drink? What is your diet like? Have you tried supplementing with fish oil capsules and/or evening primrose oil capsules? One major thing that helps my dryness is staying far far away from sulfates and cones. Some peoples hair/scalp need it while others don't.

LilyMunster
January 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Also mist your hair with distilled water and a tiny amount of conditioner before you seal it with coconut oil.

Heidi_234
January 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hey guys thanks for the replies, I find some of the suggestions to be very helpful!
jera, I quickly researched neem oil after your suggestion, it sounds very intriguing, I hope I'll be able to get my paws on some here. It appears to be expensive, I've found 100 ml of - Dr.Hauschka's Neem Hair Oil (http://www.drhauschka.co.uk/products/hair-care/neem-hair-oil) for about 40$. Hmm... I hope I'll find a cheaper one somewhere.
detritus, thanks for the caramel treatment recipe! I've seen the thread before but the awful long list of ingredients I don't have held me back from trying it. But I will try your simple version of, we'll how that goes. :grin:
manderly, I very concerned and strict (couldn't find one word to describe that) about whatever I use on my scalp. Right now I prefer to avoid using anything, just one shea butter based hair mask to strengthen the roots. I stopped shampooing quite a while ago and my shedding dropped dramatically. The white bits don't bother me much other than being a sign for possible scalp problem (whether it's dandruff or something else).
ratgirldjh, thanks for the diet tip! I'll sure look into this since I was never made sure I ate well and balanced, and definitely cause me hair trouble in the past. That heavy oiling with coconut oil resembles hot oil treatment in some ways, though I never done it the way you described. I apply quite an amount of coconut oil before going to sleep already, and my hair is barely oiled if at all in the morning.
Euphony, I started to make sure I drink more water then I did before (I used to drink one cup of water a day maybe, now I'm certain to drink at least a small bottle of water without counting the teas/coffees/juicy foods). Can't say it changed much, but of course it's healthier. I currently don't take any food supplements except B complex for hair growth. I do get my omega via food though, not sure much or if enough, but hopefully yeah. :shrug:
LilyMunster, my hair did seem to react well when I tried to add some moisture with a conditioner last time. It didn't like SMT either, so I don't know. :shrug:

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Let me know.
I do sometimes massage herb-infused olive oil into the scalp as a pre-wash treatment (I wash it out with soapnuts after a hour or so). It didn't make my roots greasy or something, but I doubt it made my scalp less dry.

African Royale Hot 6

best stuff ever. My hair is still soft and shiny today. I always wear my hair up in a 'net and scarf and just took it down. All I'll need to do today is mist with water and scrunch in some mousse.
________
VITO (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Vito)

Heidi_234
January 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
African Royale Hot 6

best stuff ever. My hair is still soft and shiny today. I always wear my hair up in a 'net and scarf and just took it down. All I'll need to do today is mist with water and scrunch in some mousse.
Probably not something I can get around here. :undecided
I took a quick look at the ingredients, got a cone in it:
Olive Oil , Canola Oil , Wheat Germ Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Safflower Oil , Castor Oil , Sesame Oil , Vitamin E , Vitamin A , Vitamin D , Cyclomethicone , Sheep Sorrell , Yarrow , Slippery Elm Bark , Sage , Henna , Comfrey , Burdock Root , Ginseng , Goldenseal , Cherry Bark , Black Walnut , Chamomile , Alfalfa , Hyssop , Wheat Germ , Fragrance
from here: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100235&id=prod11697
Just giving you a heads-up.

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Probably not something I can get around here. :undecided
I took a quick look at the ingredients, got a cone in it:
Olive Oil , Canola Oil , Wheat Germ Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Safflower Oil , Castor Oil , Sesame Oil , Vitamin E , Vitamin A , Vitamin D , Cyclomethicone , Sheep Sorrell , Yarrow , Slippery Elm Bark , Sage , Henna , Comfrey , Burdock Root , Ginseng , Goldenseal , Cherry Bark , Black Walnut , Chamomile , Alfalfa , Hyssop , Wheat Germ , Fragrance
from here: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100235&id=prod11697
Just giving you a heads-up.

Thank you. I shampoo once a week so that will take care of that cone. Well, I do use watersoluble cones so I'm not really cone free. I tried full on CG (totally cone and sulfate free) and it was terrible for my hair. I find using milder sulfates and cones - Mod CG - is better for my hair and cuts down on dryness too.
________
Teen Videos (http://teenvid.org)

freznow
January 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
I have that too. My hair tends to be satiated with aloe and jojoba as a leave in, though sometimes I have to really put a lot on. I also wonder if maybe you ought to try a protein treatment and/or clarify.

One thing I'm considering is that maybe the dandruffy stuff is from mites/fleas/something like that. My hedgehog has had mites before, the cat probably gave them to him, they've both had dry, itchy, flaky skin... But I wouldn't know how to get rid of that besides coating your head in tea tree oil or some special shampoo, the pets got rid of it with shots and/or flea&tick stuff. I'm still trying to work mine out.

Heidi_234
January 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
I have that too. My hair tends to be satiated with aloe and jojoba as a leave in, though sometimes I have to really put a lot on. I also wonder if maybe you ought to try a protein treatment and/or clarify.

One thing I'm considering is that maybe the dandruffy stuff is from mites/fleas/something like that. My hedgehog has had mites before, the cat probably gave them to him, they've both had dry, itchy, flaky skin... But I wouldn't know how to get rid of that besides coating your head in tea tree oil or some special shampoo, the pets got rid of it with shots and/or flea&tick stuff. I'm still trying to work mine out.
I clarified just a week or so two ago, my hair condition pretty much remained the same (if not drier). I rather positive I don't have parasites on my head. Usually my scalp doesn't feel itchy at all. The length and ends dryness actually is the one which concerns me more.
Protein treatment is an idea too. Thanks.