PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Basic Standard Daily Updo?

LaurelSpring
January 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I am in this weird transitional cant figure out what to do with my hair and having a major lack of creativity winter blues hump. I am in new length territory (heading toward waist) and the old styles arent really working anymore.

I need to find one basic easy comfortable slap it up protective do it all updo to get me through the day until my inspiration comes back.

What is your basic daily survival updo. When you get up and dont want to fool with you hair what is the main updo that you fall back on from day to day when you want to put it up and forget it. I just cant seem to find mine yet. Everything feels awkward right now.

NebraskaChick84
January 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
a scrunchie bun. it takes about 5 seconds to do and doesn't require a brush or comb. since I can never find mine that's a huge plus. :)

Shorty89
January 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
It used to be a figure eight for me but now it's usually an inside out bun.

Girltron
January 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
A nautilus bun with one or two sticks in it, either on the crown of my head or at the nape of the neck. It doesn't look that wonderful in my hair, it's a weird sort of knot instead of a beautiful big bun, but it stays and stays and doesn't require twisting.

That, or a single english braid.

Deborah
January 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have been using a flip bun recently as my go-to style. It is very comfortable, and quick and easy to do. It also 'works' consistently. Some buns are unreliable with slippery hair like mine, but the flip bun always turns out well.

prosperina
January 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
A messy wadded up "bun" held by a ficcare--especially since I'm still on vacation for a while. When I'm making more effort, I make it less messy and use a couple of hair pins to make a softer half up then I bun the rest of it with a ficcare or ketylos.

Gumball
January 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I usually don't do a regular updo, but if I don't do anything else I'll always braid my hair. I can bun it up and stick some sticks in and that can suffice, too.

lora410
January 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I usually so a lazy wrap bun or standard cinna bun.

Phalaenopsis
January 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Lately, just a bun with my a hairfork and sometimes two braids, boxbraids or fishbone braids

MusingFrog
January 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Inside-out bun (also called a nautilus bun). Once finished, I wrap a scrunchie around the base, twist, and make another loop over the bun part. Takes 30 seconds to put up and holds all day. This is my go-to style most days - especially if all I'm doing is staying home or attending school. If I were working I'd probably secure it with a fork because it looks nicer than a scrunchie.

Koskaan
January 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
My fall back style is the swirly bun. When my hair was a few inches shorter it was inside-out bun. It isn't of course that different from a swirly bun, but swirly bun is faster to do. When my hair was significantly shorter (waist to hip), cinnabun was my standard choice. Then again, I didn't know that many updos back then.

Islandgrrl
January 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Cinnabun. It's the only thing I can reliably do and not have fall out at some point. For all of my fervent desire to be a hairdiva, I'm too much a spaz and can't manage complex updos very well! :)

OhioLisa
January 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
A swirly bun. I just vary my hair toys to keep it interesting. :D

squiggyflop
January 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
chinese bun.. you can do it while driving its so easy.. dont ask how i know that

Amara
January 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Figure 8 bun! Although today I'm breaking out of my rut and doing a *gasp* flipped bun!

luna*
January 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
I love my cinnamon bun. It's so easy and fast and really comfy to wear.

frizzinator
January 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
A log roll usually held with a couple of wavelength pins; I even sleep in this made high on my head. It can be desssed up with a fork or a ficcare if I'm making an effort.

viking_quest
January 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
It used to always be in a pony tale. Now I just make a single french or dutch braid.

Copasetic
January 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
My usual hair style is a messy, rather pitiful side braid. I am not very creative, and my hair isn't long enough to make a pretty updo with, so I just go with what works.

Bene
January 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
lazy wrap bun every day. it's fast and requires less handling than a cinnamon bun. i've figured out how to modify it so that i can use forks with more prongs. :)

Boudicca
January 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Braided bun

Finoriel
January 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Inside out bun. My hands seem to do this one automatically, when I do my hair while thinking about something else.

AJoifulNoise
January 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Most days I throw my hair up in a damp cinnabun and it stays that way until right before bed. I secure it with 7-9 small clips, 1-2 sticks, a fork, or (on rare occasion) a ficcare.

Other frequent 'dos include the figure 8 and the braided chinese bun.

harpgal
January 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Just about everyday, I wear a braided bun. It involves only one comb-out in the morning, so it is very protective. On top of that, I am rather lazy when it comes to updos.

Duchess of Erat
January 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
For me it used to be the cinnabun, and now it's the orchid bun.

Eden Iris
January 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Cinnamon bun or the mutant French twist/log roll.

Lillian
January 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
My standard go-to updo is a cinabun, because it always works. I do try to vary styles, but only the cinabun is reliable.

frodolaughs
January 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I put my hair into either a lazy wrap bun or an orchid bun (I think that's the name?). With a fork. Probably 300 days out of the year. I used to wear cinnamon buns more, but my hair doesn't appreciate the twisting. Somehow, if the orchid bun doesn't hold the lazy wrap does, and vice-versa.

PS any other simple wrapped buns would be greatly appreciated.

florenonite
January 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
A cinnabun with a stick. It's the only bun I can do with my hair at this length and thickness.

Elphie
January 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Not really an updo, but my most reliable style is anything I can do with a topsy tail. I can just put a single flip in the back, use it for a half up, use it for side pig tails...you get the idea.

Pinga
January 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
I usually do a single french braid with the end tucked underneath and secured with a barrette. I also do a braided bun quite a bit.

Pierre
January 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
In summer, if I don't have time to braid (which I can do once and keep it for three or four days), I make a bun and hold it with a hairscroo. In winter, I stuff it in a Polar Buff with just the Mini Maxes to hold it out of my eyes. Sometimes I make earmuffs, held by the Mini Maxes.

ole gray mare
January 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
My daily 'do is so boring, but it usually looks pretty decent. I twist the sides back and hold with two mini-claw clips on each side. Then I bun the back...loosely twisted cinnamon bun held by a ficcare. Very comfy 'do, secure and well-balanced!

dor3girl
January 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
A boring bun with ketylo sticks.

Tangles
January 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ballerina bun or Dutch braid. I need to buy some hairsticks because my hair is almost long enough for some of the more complex ones :)

Isilme
January 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
a figure eight, I don't know how I survived before I figured out how to do it! When I feel fancy I do a bunny tail. Sometimes I get the urge to have a different hairstyle and not go to work with the same boring eight, but then I think about it the other way, how often do my collegues change their apperance and hairstyle? Not very often, the men wears the same hairstyle and the women mostly wears a ponytail or a french braid. Maybe my buns and sometimes braids aren't as boring as I think;)

Dianyla
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
A bunnytail, usually with the tail wrapped around the base of the bun.

HairColoredHair
January 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
A cinnamon bun held with wavelength pins, though that's seemingly starting to fail.

LadyEliza
January 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
As my hair is just below my shoulders, but layered, I can just achieve a french roll held with whatever is at hand (often a pen). The good thing is that I can do it without looking in a mirror - the bad thing is that I often should have looked...

:)

Almandine
January 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Chinese bun with a single stick. I wear this almost every day, it takes me barely five minutes to get my hair ready and put it all up. Long gone are the days of tightly, painfully twisting my hair around itself and trying to hold it all up with a scrunchie (which always failed).

rymorg2
January 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
A swirly bun. I just vary my hair toys to keep it interesting. :D

Yes, my friend, how many times have I commented on you and your swirly buns?????

rymorg2
January 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Whatever updo I can do with my only at 19" of hair. It's collarbone length now. :D Each week I'm getting more and more I can do.

Right now it's usually a scrunchie bun. Soon as I get home I throw it up in one, no matter how I've worn it during the day. It's very easy and comfortable. I even sleep in it.

BigDreams
January 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
I seem to generally stick to my good ol' ponytail. However it seems pretty quicky to put it into some sort of bun and use sticks....so as soon as I can figure out how to do that and it actualy stay in, that will probably replace the ponytail.

JamieLeigh
January 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I seem to have adopted a braided bun updo...I take a basic ponytail, braid it, wind it into a bun, and secure it with a wide-tooth Scunci clip on the underside. It takes all of MAYBE a minute, depending on tangles or no. And I think it looks pretty classy! (I have a pic in my profile of it) :cool:

mira-chan
January 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
It depends for me. I go through phases. Some favorites are braided buns, log rolls, braided log rolls, orchid buns and I went through a phase of karenlynn knots. I wear the same style a few weeks then change to another one and so on.

jojo
January 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
I normally wear either a braided bun or a lazy twisty bun held with a scrunchie!

dalriada-lady
January 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Braid or bun, depending on whether i washed that day or not.

Aditi
January 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I only do a simple Braid as my daily hairstyle.

Masara
January 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I try to vary my updos so save myself from boredom, but during the holidays when I'm just shoving it up to forget it, I will probably either go for a loosely twisted cinnabun or a French braid.

Teazel
January 3rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Lately my quickest, easiest and most comfortable style is a Gibraltar bun held with a short ketylo stick.

When my hair was your length, LaurelSpring, my go-to 'do was a figure-of-eight bun.

The favourites change with length and all kinds of factors. It's part of the fun of long hair, I think! :)

Carina
January 3rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
When I have to work it's a scrunchiebun.At home it's a braid or ponytail.;)

ChatoyantLocks
January 3rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Two braids, starting at the back of my head. It is a very easy style, and it only takes me a couple of minutes to go from there to hairstyles that are up, if I want to change my look.

METABUZZ
January 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
I usually opt for a fishtail braid.

sahiba
January 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
Its either an inside out bun or my hair folded wildly and secured with a catch clip on top of my head.

LaurelSpring
January 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the great ideas. I am gong to have to look a couple of them up. I dont think I have heard of an orchid or bunnytail yet. I spent two hours yesterday trying to figure out how to get my hair up for a birthday party. I have been sick and all I have done lately is pig tails. Now, All of a sudden it just didnt feel like anything was working and none of my toys were holding right. Arrgh. Every old toy or trick was just flopping or feeling weird on my head.

Right now it seems that braided pony tails are the only thing working for me or not feeling weird. I dont know why or how long this phase will last but you guys have me some good ideas to try. Today I am going to try just working with the pony tails in a braided chinese or dutch braid with them in a low bun. Hopefully that will get me over the hump for now. Maybe my head has to get use to some new length or something.

Anje
January 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
For me, it's probably a nautilus bun or an orchid wrap, held with a stick. I've been varying my buns a bit since cinnamon buns started failing me about a year ago.

Cinnamon Hair
January 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
A cinnamon bun with either papadonh sticks or a ficcare maximas. Lately I have been reaching for the maximas more than sticks.

Mely
January 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
For the last month or so I do a knot bun--I found the style on these pages somewhere. As I recall, it is called a Celtic knot. I hold it with a stick or a fork. It takes about 30 seconds to do and doesn't involve any twisting.

Carolyn
January 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
I do a Figure 8 bun the most often. I also do cinnamon buns and what I call a Faux Peacock twist. It's done with a claw clip and had a loop of hair at the top instead of the funky ends you would have with shorter hair.

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
When I wear it in an updo, it's usually a sloppy French twist held with a Ficcare. My hair isn't long enough to do anything too fancy yet.

eadwine
January 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM
A Nautilus bun, the braided version :)

Stevy
January 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Pinless braided bun - it's the only thing that reliably works on day three or four hair.

Katrina
January 4th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Usually I make a bun with a hairstick or two. Alternatives are these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34 (I make a modified version of this and need two sticks)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72 (also modified to my lenght. I wrap hair twice around the base of ponytail. This one works well with a Flexi-8 instead of a stick, too. See my avatar ;)).

My other most commonly chosen updos are a low ponytail or a half pony (with a barrette or Flexi-8; these styles are not comfortable on me because of tangling on the nape of my neck, though......), a single English braid or a rope braid (a bit on the side and hanging over my shoulder in front of me), sometimes also two rope braids.

I always bun if my my hair is looking greasy.

holycannoli
January 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cinnabun/knot with hair pins, usually on the looser side so my hair doesn't look so thin. People at my school think hairsticks are weird; I might start going for the student look and buy No. 2 pencils for hair sticks!

Teacherbear
January 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
A twisty-Ficcare-thing. It isn't really a style and I'm sure it is quite boring, but it is what I wear.

I twist my hair, like doing a long roll, but instead of pulling the hair up, into the roll, I just start to spin it around (kind of like a cinnamon bun - but not). Then I clip it with my Maximus. :yawn: Boring, but it is fast and easy.

OR

I put my hair in a mid-pony tail. It isn't low and it isn't high.

OR

I wear a low braid.

LadyLongLocks
January 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Comfy Cinnamon Bun with small claw clips.It stays up all day!

see my bun demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek

Teakafrog
January 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Usually a peacock twist to show off the curls, or on dirty days a plain ol' ponytail or bee-butt bun if the curls have smooshed flat.

LaurelSpring
January 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Usually I make a bun with a hairstick or two. Alternatives are these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34 (I make a modified version of this and need two sticks)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72 (also modified to my lenght. I wrap hair twice around the base of ponytail. This one works well with a Flexi-8 instead of a stick, too. See my avatar ;)).

My other most commonly chosen updos are a low ponytail or a half pony (with a barrette or Flexi-8; these styles are not comfortable on me because of tangling on the nape of my neck, though......), a single English braid or a rope braid (a bit on the side and hanging over my shoulder in front of me), sometimes also two rope braids.

I always bun if my my hair is looking greasy.

These are great thanks!
I am still in search of the bunnytail and orchid instructions.

LaurelSpring
January 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Comfy Cinnamon Bun with small claw clips.It stays up all day!

see my bun demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek

Great Video! I love the way you cover the clips with your hair. I am going to give this a try.

Pegasus Marsters
January 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM
French twist with a ficcare maximas holding it up. It takes a few seconds and stays in place all day.

Samikha
January 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I've been doing a lot of Easy Wrap buns and Easy Hairstick buns...I can't get the damn Chinese buns to work still! Ah well, I haven't really tried all that hard either :cool:

My fall-back style is a French twist with my Ficcarre Maximas. If nothing else works, that one will.

Misha
January 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
one basic easy comfortable slap it up protective do it all updo to get me through the day .

I just love the way you put that :).

The cinnamon bun with a stick or fork is my daily go-to ATM. It's so quick and no-fuss, looks lovely every time, protective, stays in place, and perfect for rushed mornings running out the door.

CopperHead
January 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Tight bun secured with some kind of stick or fork. :)

Haith
January 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I find myself doing a twisted cinnamon bun-- just twisted and coiled on the back of my head-- secured with a fork when I need my hair out of the way. I don't usually style my hair this way, but it ends up like this when it has to be up.