PDA

View Full Version : Braids drying out hair?

Phalaenopsis
January 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Since my hair is BSL I often braid it to get it out of my way. I always thought that braiding your hair before bed is a good way to keep it tanglefree during the night. So that's what I started doing.

But the thing is, I find that it dries out my hair. :? The minute my hair gets wavy, it's more dry and brittle.

I really don't like this, since I love to braid. Anyone else has this? Am I always going to have to slick my hair down with lots of oil?

Beloved
January 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
My hair doesn't LOOK as sleek and healthy in curls after I take down braids. It can look sort of frizzy. But the braids aren't damaging, no. I know this because after a fresh wash, when my hair is back to straight, it is just as healthy looking as ever. It's just the appearance with curly hair.

Gumball
January 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
My hair doesn't LOOK as sleek and healthy in curls after I take down braids. It can look sort of frizzy. But the braids aren't damaging, no. I know this because after a fresh wash, when my hair is back to straight, it is just as healthy looking as ever. It's just the appearance with curly hair.

That's a good point. Phalaenopsis could it be that your hair begins to at least appear more dry once you undo the braid, and that the appearance could just be something you equate with dryness? Straight hair can lie all nice and snug together, but when you add any wave or curl to the hair if it's not resting all nice together it can slightly push other hairs away (and look kind of fluffy). That could possibly be why it might look dry. I can't see why a braid would dry out hair though, especially if when you may braid wet hair it takes a lot longer to dry.

Kirin
January 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Its a visual perception I think... of the wave effect, not the hair itself.

Phalaenopsis
January 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Well, when it is freshly washed and then braided, I have shiny waves in the beginning of the day and by the end of the day, my ends really féél dry.

But what I really meant was just plain braiding, unwashed hair and such. The moment my hair gets wavy its gets dry, especially the ends. It isn't the way my hair looks. I know with waves my hair looks fluffy.

August 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Interesting! I have also been thinking about this!
But I think it's mainly because of perception it looks (and therefore feels) more dry

spidermom
August 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
The connection just does not compute.

JenniferNoel
August 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with the exposed ends rubbing against things and getting the moisture sucked out? Weird. I don't quite know.
:confused:
My hair does this after being braided as well.

eezepeeze
August 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with braiding. I think what you are experiencing is what always happens with curls...the sebum from the roots cannot travel down the curls as easily, so the ends seem dry. A good fix would be to spritz some non-greasy leave in cond. on the ends. Also, a good fix is to smooth a little anti frizz gel or lotion on the ends or a LITTLE oil. Just enough to make the ends feel soft and not quite so dry.

Another trick you might try is to put the end of your braid on a sponge roller (use rolling papers, too) when your hair is wet. Smooth your favorite leave in product on it before rolling. That will help the ends of the hair to get the same deep conditioning that the length is getting.

If it's dryness you're noticing at the end of the day, it could be good, ol'fashioned frizz. To combat frizz really well, you'll need a product with cones in it, but you may be able to make do with some aloe vera gel or your favorite oil/conditioner.

HTH! :)

Edit: My siggy pic below is with oil on the ends. If I didn't have oil, the ends would be frizzy, fluffy, and dry, like yours. Notice how much curlier my hair is in my profile pic, without the oil.

maria_asa
August 11th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Since my hair is BSL I often braid it to get it out of my way. I always thought that braiding your hair before bed is a good way to keep it tanglefree during the night. So that's what I started doing.

But the thing is, I find that it dries out my hair. :? The minute my hair gets wavy, it's more dry and brittle.

I really don't like this, since I love to braid. Anyone else has this? Am I always going to have to slick my hair down with lots of oil?

I have the exact same problem and as a result I've started to sleep with my hair loose instead of braided. No more dry hair and less tangles in the morning.

I don't understand why and I can't see any logical reason for this :confused: It's not just that the hair looks dry, actually my hair can look ok, but it feels very dry and it can absorb lots more oil than when just left natural.

Sorry, I can't be of any help. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

naereid
August 11th, 2010, 03:17 AM
My hair looks pretty awful after braiding, too. The ends in particular - so gross. :p It goes away after washing. I'm not worried about it because I doubt there are any long-term effects.

It's a bit of a pain that I have to plan things in advance, though. If I want to wear my hair loose the next day I can't braid it.