PDA

View Full Version : Hask -- Placenta and Henna

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
I tried it out the other night, deciding to put it in my hair for awhile before I showered,

It didn't stink when I smelled it in the bottle, afetr I put it on my head and got a whiff, I almost keeled over, it was awful! :(

I hurried up and put my tee shirt over my hair so I wouldn't smell it.

I will never use it again, yuck!

Did anyone else think it stank?

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Hang on - placenta as in...placenta?

As in...a placenta?

Gosh.

Is there a baby farm somewhere, where they produce this stuff?

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
It's Placenta protein (I just looked on the ingredient list) I am sure it comes from animals, though yuck right?

Here is an ingredient list and descripton, though I can't find out how they get the placentas, I am assuming a slaughterhouse.

ETA: My bottle of the same product says Placenta protein, the ingredients on the packet say Placenta Ectract....hmmmmm

I researched further and it appears that Placenta protein comes from stem cells, I never thought of it before and am not so comfortable with using anything like that on my hair/body.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100864&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod8970

Hang on - placenta as in...placenta?

As in...a placenta?

Gosh.

Is there a baby farm somewhere, where they produce this stuff?

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
It's Placenta protein (I just looked on the ingredient list) I am sure it comes from animals, though yuck right?

Here is an ingredient list and descripton, though I can't find out how they get the placents, I am assuming a slaughterhouse.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100864&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod8970

It becomes more and more appealing... shudder:

Having said that, I wonder what effect blood has on hair, if any. Not that I'm rushing to go out and cover myself in blood today. That's really more of a Thursday thing.

Themyst
January 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Ew. I clicked on the link and it almost looks like it's some kind of joke product (Henna & Placenta!)

Hee hee ... ???

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
I love its jaunty name. "Henna 'n Plancenta!" like "rock 'n roll" or "salt 'n vinegar". Couldn't they have come up with a name that prettifies the concept of coating your head in BABY SACK?

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
I added an ETA and am now looking at that bottle quite differently. WOW.

No wonder it smells weird.....:puke:

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Waste not, want not...?

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
Waste not, want not...?

Yeah, but that smell made me *almost* hurl, I smelled the bottle, it wasn't bad, my hair needed a wash, I decided I would put it in my hair and leave it in untill I showered. I was rubbing it in, real think and all of a sudden, the smell changed!

I said, omg, omg, honey (to hubby) smell my hair NOW! I had to take my tee shirt off my body and stuck it over my head so I couldn't smell it and got my clothes together and RAN to the shower.

It was really gross, for the lousy 3$ that it was on sale for, I don't care about wasting it. (maybe I could use it on my rosebushes instead of wasting it though.)

I know one thing, it will NOT touch my hair or body again, I will use a stick or gloves to spread it around my rosebushes if it comes to that. UGH!

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I'm impressed you were willing to try it out (before you knew what it was, of course). Brave experimentation, and all that. But yes - gross.

I wonder what they preserved the placenta with. I'm not sure how it would fare, decomposition wise, or if that would apply at all if its just protein.

This is really descending into a mad science gross-out competition, isn't it? :o

Themyst
January 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Well, as a woman who had two home births, I know some people are interested in keeping their placentas because they plant them under trees. Cute enough, but not for me, so I gave both of mine to my midwives (who requested them to do the tree thing).

When this thread came up, I became curious and googled it and I'm sorry I did so early in the morning. I haven't even had my tea yet. tApparently, some people even EAT their placentas. Double and triple ew ...

It's no wonder some company jumped on the 'nourishing placenta' bandwagon. I'm not sure if the world is ready for that yet (well, especially the USA) - in fact, I can see this product at a health food store maybe, but Walgreens?

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
When this thread came up, I became curious and googled it and I'm sorry I did so early in the morning. I haven't even had my tea yet. tApparently, some people even EAT their placentas. Double and triple ew ...

Perhaps birth isn't gory and grotesque enough for some?

(I'm going to get flamed for that, aren't I?)

Still, each to their own.

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
I actually got it at Sallys Beauty Supply, I saw a clearance rack and saw Henna, didn't THINK of the Placenta aspect, smelled it, it was ok, I bought it and forgot about it.

I found it the other night, had noticed a few splits and need to S&D and though, "oh yes, I will try this now"

Smelled it, it was ok, untill it was IN my hair, then it was quite different from the way it smelled in the bottle.

I have heard about the placenta burial, actually Brad Pitt had an interview where he was explaining it.

But it NEVER crossed my mind, I just blindly bought it and never thought of it on a deeper level.

Now I am kind of, wondering about what was really in there, oh my!

I read the part about the eating too, animals do that so that they will have get some of their nutrition that they lost during birth, my cat did it when she had babies, I was a little shocked but a friend explained that it was natural.

I won't be buying anymore and like I said, instead of wasting I will use it on my Rose Bushes.

I was really repulsed by the smell, that is when I began to wonder.

I need to remember to read the ingredient list, and actual description for that matter.

It doesn't repulse me that it was at one time part of a living thing, but I wonder how they come to get that ingredient that bothers me.

I will stick to natural/ vegetable matter from now own. :)

lora410
January 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have used this plenty of times and it never smelled bad. I may have been from the mix of your natural hair smell and that just didn't go so well.

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
But it NEVER crossed my mind, I just blindly bought it and never thought of it on a deeper level.

It doesn't repulse me that it was at one time part of a living thing, but I wonder how they come to get that ingredient that bothers me.

Aw, don't fret. I'm sure there are countless products we use every day without thinking that contain all kinds of untold horrors. Chalk it up to experience. Gory, stinky experience. :)

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
Aw, don't fret. I'm sure there are countless products we use every day without thinking that contain all kinds of untold horrors. Chalk it up to experience. Gory, stinky experience. :)

I will file that away in my poor little pea brain for future reference! If I decide to "experiment" I will recall the stinky moment and READ those darn ingredients! ;)

Themyst
January 2nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Well, on the other hand, I'm sure there's plenty of people who think we're just being plain silly about it all.:)

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Well, on the other hand, I'm sure there's plenty of people who think we're just being plain silly about it all.:)

They'll be the ones chowing down on a nice placenta casserole. ;)

GlassEyes
January 2nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
It's HARVESTED PLACENTA, FOR CHRISSAKES. Edit: It says so on the bottle, I believe.

It's the offal from already born Calfs. They don't kill for it. Or at least that's what it says.

I don't think it smells bad, honestly. I've used the regular and the stronger one for damaged hair, andthey didn't smell like much of anything to me.

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
I just removed the price label (there were 2, it was on sale) and it does say *Environmentally Responsible Formula* and no animal testing.

My whole deal was, it smells sort of like Vinagar, after I applied it. (I can't stand Vinegar at all, so that is what offended me)

I just opened the bottle again, inhaled deeply and it does have a bit of a *vinegar like smell* but before when I smelled it (I smell everything before I buy) it did not smell bad in any way.

So, either
1) It may have went a bit rancid
2) It could be the product reacted with other leave ins or oils in my hair and ampliphied the smell to me.
3) I just don't like the smell after application.

I probobly should have used it in the shower, with the soap and conditioner etc, I probobly wouldn't have noticed the smell as much.

I didn't notice any difference in my hair, but I did remove it fast as the odor was making me -- rather uncomfortable. (I cannot stand the smell of Salt and Vinegar chips, when my sister or nephews eat them, I get away from the smell as fast as possible)

So, I am thinking it may have *spoiled* a bit, or else it just doesn't agree with ME per se.

I don't know, in the shower I may have liked it, I just hated the odor on dry hair.

Aisha25
January 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I use this but the one in the little packets and I have no horrible smell it works great for my hair and no I would not eat a placenta thats just disgusting and very wrong to even say that about anyone just because someone uses this product.

Ursula
January 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
I've used this.

It was fairly popular as a protein treatment here a few years ago, then interest gradually migrated elsewhere.

The one thing I've heard with placental hair products (this isn't the only one) is that you shouldn't use them for prepubescent girls, as they contain estrogen which can interfere with/accelerate physical sexual maturation.

As for eating the placenta after birth, given the physical drain that pregnancy can be, it makes a certain amount of sense. Particularly in situations where food might be limited. For a hunter-gatherer, for example, who might have been less able to collect food just before or after pregnancy. Or in a farming community during times of the year when food supplies were low, particularly foods rich in fat and protein.

A meal rich in protein and iron, after giving birth, might be a significant aide to healing.

From what I understand, it is also quite common for wild animals to eat placentas after birth.

LisaJaney
January 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
You're right there, Ursula: wild animals do eat it. My pet-rats always did, as did the cows on our farm when I was young. I read somewhere, or was told, that doing so helps stimulate the milk production or something to do with hormones that tell the body "the pregnancy's over, time to feed this baby!" Plus, it's good to get that stuff OUT of the way, because it would likely draw predators if left laying around. Thank God I'm not a cow or a rat; I couldn't do it! I'd take my chances with the predators! ;)

zen_oven
January 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I've used this product before and had success with it. I've still got a packet of it at home, and I guess I'll use it at some point. I never thought it smelled gross, but now that I mainly use natural plant oils on my hair, everything that's not natural (save Suave Tropical Coconut condish) smells overpoweringly of chemicals to me. This stuff isn't all natural and does have a lot of ingredients with the dreaded long names in them. Not that those are always a horrible thing, but I'm just noticing chemical smells in hair products more intensely these days. :shrug:

Did you have it a long time before using it? It may have gone bad. Not sure how easily that can really happen, but if the smell was really that awful it could explain it.

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
To be completely honest, I think I bought it last summer, and it WAS on the clearance aisle.

It just has a Vinager smell to it, I can't stand Vinegar in any way so that's what threw me.

It doesn't smell REAL strong in the bottle, but on my head, ack!

I think it would be ok if I was in a warm shower and had other smells and moisture.

I don't know what came over me, I spent 6 hours in the ER on Tuesday and under those lights I saw a few splits in my hair, I was obsessing a tad bit and came home and was scoping out my stash and saw the Henna/Placenta treatment.

I say to self...'ohhhhhhhhhh this would be great before a shower, maybe I can leave it on for 20 minutes or so' and next thing I know, I couldn't stomach the smell! :poot:

I think it MAY be a TAD rancid......I'm a dope. :D

OR it could be one of the chemicals, since I usually only use natural stuff nowadays, you are right about being overwhelmed with certain smells when you aren't used to them.

I've used this product before and had success with it. I've still got a packet of it at home, and I guess I'll use it at some point. I never thought it smelled gross, but now that I mainly use natural plant oils on my hair, everything that's not natural (save Suave Tropical Coconut condish) smells overpoweringly of chemicals to me. This stuff isn't all natural and does have a lot of ingredients with the dreaded long names in them. Not that those are always a horrible thing, but I'm just noticing chemical smells in hair products more intensely these days. :shrug:

Did you have it a long time before using it? It may have gone bad. Not sure how easily that can really happen, but if the smell was really that awful it could explain it.

Kirin
January 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think the smell issue could be it wasn't the freshest product when you purchased and used it, and if your hair had residuals of sebum, oils and other product, it probably combined to make havoc to the nostrils. I would guess though, that the product went bad before you used it, always check the dates!

I've used this before in the past, but it worked best when I was chemical coloring and needed the protein. I've found it to have a rather clean soap smell, not vinegar which tips me off this may not have been the most pristine product in the package. Its quite likely the package was exposed to warmth and light in the store.

I have to add a sidenote here on some of the comments! If you've never heard of this product I suppose it would drum up some pretty interesting imagery! However, its no more bizarre than using embryo's (eggs) on hair now is it? LOL :cheese:

Bene
January 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
i use this all the time. but in the packets. it smells nice, i have the one with the olive oil in it. my hair loves it.

SHELIAANN1969
January 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
I bet the packets are able to stay fresh longer, since lids on the bottles are removable, it's possible it had been contaminated by anything long before I bought it. The packets are sealed and stand a better shelf life.

My sis got a couple packs for 99cents, they are 2 oz and the bottle is 8 oz, so my thinking was, I can get 2 extra ounces for the same price. I guess it wasn't a great idea after all.

I may try it again, IN the shower like it states on the package, hehehe, instead of trying to do a "pre-shower deep treatment"

Thanks for all the advice, since I hadn't tried it before, I was unsure if it smelled that way normally. :D

i use this all the time. but in the packets. it smells nice, i have the one with the olive oil in it. my hair loves it.

Themyst
January 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
However, its no more bizarre than using embryo's (eggs) on hair now is it? LOL :cheese:

Err... may I ask what this means?:confused:

Bene
January 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
I bet the packets are able to stay fresh longer, since lids on the bottles are removable, it's possible it had been contaminated by anything long before I bought it. The packets are sealed and stand a better shelf life.

My sis got a couple packs for 99cents, they are 2 oz and the bottle is 8 oz, so my thinking was, I can get 2 extra ounces for the same price. I guess it wasn't a great idea after all.

I may try it again, IN the shower like it states on the package, hehehe, instead of trying to do a "pre-shower deep treatment"

Thanks for all the advice, since I hadn't tried it before, I was unsure if it smelled that way normally. :D

it has a sweet conditioner smell. i've never seen it in the bottle, only in the packet. i figure since i use it maybe once a month or even less, it just makes more sense to get the single serve?

oh, but the first time i tried it, i didn't use the whole thing. i figured i could save the rest for another time, and just folded the packet over on itself. man. BIG mistake. the next morning, my room smelled like rotten eggs :( now, i use the entire contents. that smell is baaaaaaaad!

Themyst
January 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Err... may I ask what this means?:confused:

Oh, I figured it out. Protein & hair follicles!

Silly me, I assumed it meant EATING them! I've seen posts about using eggs but never paid attention to them because I don't like eggs.

Now I know!:)

Nyssa
June 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I saw this product in Sally's today and just couldn't believe it! I had much the same initial reaction as Lady Verity. I had never heard of using the placenta for anything hair related and had to log on here the first chance I got to see if anyone else had. I can't imagine what possessed whoever came up with this product to try placenta on her hair in the first place. Did she just have one lying around?

DragonLady
June 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I saw a bottle of this in a dollar store just yesterday. My husband and I couldn't stop making jokes about what we thought was the unfortunate name. I guess it kinda makes sense, but it sure doesn't sound appealing.

Tap Dancer
June 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I've never had a problem with the smell. But yours was in a bottle? I've always used the single-use packets.

~GypsyCurls~
June 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM
It smells bad but not as bad as that Aphogee stuff. I love that stuff for a heavy-duty protein treatment, but it has collagen in it. And it smells *worse* then the Henna n' Placenta stuff, plus you need to leave it in your hair until it dries. Worth it though!

redneckprincess
June 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
i dont think it smelled bad and yeah i know kinda gross to think about putting placenta protine on your hair but its one of the BEST things ive tried so far, feels yucky when applying but my hair just loves it. i use it weekly

SHELIAANN1969
June 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM
haha, I can't believe this is back! :D

I really think my bottle was old, it had a funky vinegary smell and I threw it away. My sister had some packets and it did not smell like that.

I still decided that this wasn't for me though, I just can't get that smell out of my mind, it was so gross.

I can't stand stinky smells, ugh, it was really really bad!

hellkitty
June 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
My mother, an Old School nurse, used to tell stories all the time about the major cosmetic companies coming to the hospital (Bellevue) to pick up human placentas for face creams. The nurses would store them in a big refrigerator until the Friday pickup. So don't diss this product just for being more open and honest about its contents than your mom's high-end face cream. I kinda think they deserve credit for not pulling any punches. At least you know what you're getting.

I've used henna and placenta for years (when I remember, probably about 2x a year). I've never had a problem with the smell. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best restructuring, conditioning and softening things I've done for my hair. Way better than a hot oil treatment.

I'm one of those 'waste nothing' people. When I eat a turkey, I make sure everything I get (innards, skin, bones, meat) gets used. I think it's the least I could do to honor that animal's spirit to make the most use of it. So, placenta? Why not? If the mother can't eat it (which is what usually happens in the wild, but not on most farms) why not put it to *some* use?

HK

Eboshi
June 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I wonder if you got a batch that had gone *off* or was otherwise expired. There is a bottle of Henna 'n Placenta lying around in my product stash and it smells fairly sweet (to me ;)). I love the effects it has on my hair, it is one of the few treatments that makes my hair silky and shiny without the "crunchiness" that other protein treatments seem to leave behind.

SHELIAANN1969
June 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I wonder if you got a batch that had gone *off* or was otherwise expired. There is a bottle of Henna 'n Placenta lying around in my product stash and it smells fairly sweet (to me ;)). I love the effects it has on my hair, it is one of the few treatments that makes my hair silky and shiny without the "crunchiness" that other protein treatments seem to leave behind.

I am pretty sure it was expired, it was on a clearance rack at Sallys beauty supply. I think I got it for 2.99 and it was 8 oz. I thought it was a better bargain than the 2 oz. packs for 99 cents each. Looking back, I should have just gotten the packs, I think since they are sealed they may stay fresher longer.

It was awful, I don't think it was the product itself, after the replies. I think it was just old.

I will be more cautious about bargains in the future! :D

kimi
June 24th, 2009, 12:13 AM
My mother, an Old School nurse, used to tell stories all the time about the major cosmetic companies coming to the hospital (Bellevue) to pick up human placentas for face creams. The nurses would store them in a big refrigerator until the Friday pickup. . .

HK

It's not such and old-school thing, when I was in nursing school about 12 - 15 years ago, I had my OB rotation at a hospital that also saved and sold the placentas of delivered mothers to cosmetic/hair companies. There was a huge fridge dedicated just to placental storage.

I've personally never noticed any odor from the product, but then it's never worked very well for me either. It leaves my hair crunchy and drier than usual. I always expect great things from it and I'm always sort of disappointed. Darn.

redneckprincess
June 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
it may be leaving your hair crunchy and dryer because your may not be rincing it out completely, i rince for 15-20 mins

MunchkinBubble
June 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I just bought this tonight because I think my hair needs some protein.

For those who've used it successfully, do you do a deep conditioner afterwards (I understand its reccomended to afterwards?) If so, what do you use?

I'm excited to try it!

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I just bought this tonight because I think my hair needs some protein.

For those who've used it successfully, do you do a deep conditioner afterwards (I understand its reccomended to afterwards?) If so, what do you use?

I'm excited to try it! It is the conditioning treatment you dont need to use anything after just rince for 5 mins or more with cool water

Kirin
June 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM
It is the conditioning treatment you dont need to use anything after just rince for 5 mins or more with cool water

Its a protein treatment, not a moisturizer, that is why hair is "crunchy" afterward. Some individual's hair can go haywire, dry, brittle and crunchy with too much protein and not enough moisture.

Moisture is always recommended after a protein treatment, even if the treatments directions do not say to.

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Its a protein treatment, not a moisturizer, that is why hair is "crunchy" afterward. Some individual's hair can go haywire, dry, brittle and crunchy with too much protein and not enough moisture.

Moisture is always recommended after a protein treatment, even if the treatments directions do not say to.

I dont have "crunchies" as long as i rince long enough...I have never heard that before...2 treatments in one day huh?

Bene
June 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM

my hair never got "crunchy" after using hask, and i don't condition afterwards. i just rinse it out and leave it alone. more often than not, following the directions on the product will yield the best results.

i think with everything else (treatment, conditioner, manipulation, etc) it totally depends on the individual. everything on this site is trial and error. when i try something new, i do it when i know i don't have anywhere to be the next day, in case something goes wrong i can take steps to remedy it. it's up to the individual to learn whether or not their hair needs or hates proteins.

Tap Dancer
June 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Yes, I deep condition after using protein. Anything you like to use normally is fine. I use Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm.

zarijaso
November 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I read that the placenta extracet comes from sheep placentas.

I was wondering if it is ok to use this product on dyed hair. Anybody know? Thanks!

JCFantasy23
November 19th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I read that the placenta extracet comes from sheep placentas.

I was wondering if it is ok to use this product on dyed hair. Anybody know? Thanks!

I don't see why it would hurt. A lot of the shampoos and conditioners contain protein of different sorts and dye doesn't react to protein treatments.

As for what's in the stuff it doesn't really bug me. I'm not a vegetarian and to me if you're eating meat this shouldn't seem gross in comparison. Some of the details with the meat are more nauseating to me :(, and since that's something I put in my mouth, it grosses me out more than something I'd put on my hair.

I've never tried a protein treatment of any kind yet.

ladycatpurrs
November 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I love its jaunty name. "Henna 'n Plancenta!" like "rock 'n roll" or "salt 'n vinegar". Couldn't they have come up with a name that prettifies the concept of coating your head in BABY SACK?

Thank you for the laugh!! I have tears rolling down my face from this..Oh, oh, yeah!!!!! MMMM, baby sack head!!!

Bunnyhare
November 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM
[quote=SHELIAANN1969;402048]I actually got it at Sallys Beauty Supply, I saw a clearance rack and saw Henna, didn't THINK of the Placenta aspect, smelled it, it was ok, I bought it and forgot about it.

I found it the other night, had noticed a few splits and need to S&D and though, "oh yes, I will try this now"

I did the same thing, saw henna and took it home, tried it awhile later and as it was sitting i read the package and about lost it! but mine never smelled wierd/bad, in fact it smelled nice, perfumy even. But after reading the package i was surprised they are allowed to sell that. At my dentists office they are not even allowed to let you take your own(or childrens) teeth home, it is "biohazardous waste" and cannot leave the office...?? wierd...

Holly9192
January 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I used this last night, it made my hair feel amazing! But the smell is starting to disturb me (even though it smells good) because i associate it with placenta. my brain is strange.

AmericanWoman
January 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I actually got it at Sallys Beauty Supply, I saw a clearance rack and saw Henna, didn't THINK of the Placenta aspect, smelled it, it was ok, I bought it and forgot about it.

Smelled it, it was ok, untill it was IN my hair, then it was quite different from the way it smelled in the bottle.

I have heard about the placenta burial, actually Brad Pitt had an interview where he was explaining it.

I read the part about the eating too, animals do that so that they will have get some of their nutrition that they lost during birth, my cat did it when she had babies, I was a little shocked but a friend explained that it was natural.

I won't be buying anymore and like I said, instead of wasting I will use it on my Rose Bushes.

I was really repulsed by the smell, that is when I began to wonder.

I need to remember to read the ingredient list, and actual description for that matter.

Ya'll do realise that eggs are placenta, don't you?(the whites I believe) This product has been around since the 70's- it's nothing new.

Twil
January 28th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I believe they get the placenta from sheep. It's still kick ass on hair though.

Beesweet
January 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I have used it. My hair does not like it at all, and my curly girls (two daughters) have hair that hates it too.

It smelled good though, from what I remember. Maybe our hair doesn't like protein.

LaurelSpring
January 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I think Ive used this before and liked it. I think it was just the placenta but no henna. I do remember a twinge of guilt wondering about it.

MandyBeth
January 29th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hask uses cow placentas. Some of the others use sheep or pig placentas.

I figure it's hardly the worst thing I can use or take. How many women have taken PMU not knowing what it is really?

nebbish
February 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I used to use a packet of this every time I bleached/dyed my hair when I was younger. I usually followed it with a packet of Ion Color Sealer [also at Salley's].
I actually just saw the packets at Walgreens yesterday and I got one. I'm excited to use it again, I wonder if my hair will still like it?

anhureru
February 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Ya'll do realise that eggs are placenta, don't you?(the whites I believe) This product has been around since the 70's- it's nothing new.

I have to be pedantic for a minute. The egg white is called the albumin. Chickens, and most other egg-laying organisms (a few egg-laying mammals are the exception), do not have placentas. :)

Fractalsofhair
February 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
My friend Lexi used this after she fried her hair horribly. It made her hair look lovely. However, if you're vegetarian or vegan, staying away from it is a good idea! Personally, it creeps me out more than eating your OWN placenta does. I mean, if it's your own body, that's one thing, but putting another animal's one on your hair creeps me out. But that could explain why my lady fur feels nicer after my period. Placenta is basically period gunk... XD

shadowclaw
February 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I just tried this stuff for the first time yesterday in a super SMT. I bought a packet of the super strength stuff from Sally's and I thought it smelled really good... like fruit or something.

It made the most wonderfully creamy SMT when used in conjunction with Garnier Triple Nutrition 3-minute Dryness Undo treatment. My hair felt like silk afterwards. It's a product I intend to purchase again for deep treatments.

But yes, the idea that there is animal placenta in there is kind of gross. But so is eating meat and eggs if you sit down and think about it.

klcqtee
February 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Haha, I did this too! I just ran across it, and planned to try it tonight with my hair washing, but forgot. After reading all this, I'm definitely trying it! Luckily, mine's in the wasteful little one use packets. I'll report back, if anyone's curious.

SHELIAANN1969
February 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Haha, I did this too! I just ran across it, and planned to try it tonight with my hair washing, but forgot. After reading all this, I'm definitely trying it! Luckily, mine's in the wasteful little one use packets. I'll report back, if anyone's curious.

I wish I had gotten the one use packets instead, I think they are sealed better, and the cost per use wasn't much more, I think a 2 oz packet was 99 cents and the 8 oz bottle was $2.99, I wouldn't have wasted anything if I had just gotten the packets!

I may try it again sometime if I ever happen to be out and just see the packets. I think mine went bad from being opened and sitting for so long.

It had an awful *off* smell, it sure as heck didn't smell like that in the store or I wouldn't have gotten it. :(

SHELIAANN1969
February 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM

It was just the smell that was making me gag! I finally figured out it must have went bad from exposure, sometimes I'm dense! ;)

Naluin
February 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM
My hair loves this stuff. I keep intending to use it bi-weekly, but instead I just end up using it whenever I remember. :o I like the one with olive oil in particular. The little packets seem so expensive for the amount, though!