PDA

View Full Version : how to sleep with delicate, thinning hair

hennared
January 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM
So, I know it's been discussed a zillion times on TLHC how to sleep with one's hair, but I've not seen it specifically discussed how to best sleep with really delicate, scalp-sensitive hair. My hair's been thinning a good bit, so I am extra fearful (paranoid!) about anything that 'tugs' much at my scalp. Also, it makes me kind of bananas to feel my hair pulled back with any degree of tightness. Any advice? I really stink at braids, and I've tried a single sleep braid. If I braid loosely enough - which is about the only way I can braid - It does seem to cut down on tangles for me the next day. But I'm not so sure it cuts down on my shedding the next day, and that's what I'm more worried about, than tangles. Thoughts?

Gumball
January 1st, 2009, 11:59 PM
The main thing to consider is shedding is hair naturally falling out during its life cycle. Braids might cut down on tangling, but if a hair is ready to shed it'll shed regardless. It's not the same as a hair being pulled out of your head. If shed is a big concern then the best thing you can do is see if there might be anything you're doing that could cause increased shed: Diet, health, stress, etc.

HairColoredHair
January 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
If the tugging bothers you perhaps a silk sleep-cap is in order...

TheBlondeApple
January 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand your perspective. Tangles make you lose hair that is still attached to your head, while shedding is about hair that has detached themselves (which is also painless). So, the first one is avoid-able.
I wear a silk-sleepcap over a single braid and usually sleep on a satin-pillowcase. No more tangles for me in the mornings.
Anja

Honey39
January 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I sleep with my hair loose - it's not that long yet (about mid back), but pretty thick. I would be worried about traction hair loss or just yanking out hairs which were tied up at night. The only style I can think of that would work is a very loose braid (ie no ponytails) that doesn't drag at the hair at all.

Speckla
January 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I sleep with my hair tucked under a hairnet and wrap a scarf around that. It keeps my hair from getting tangly and flat when I wake up and insures it won't get pulled or snapped during the night. I sleep better and feel less paranoid about damage when I go to bed now. Thin/fine hair is a blessing because I can get it all under the net even when it's longer because it doesn't take up as much room as thick hair and it's very lightweight.
________
SILVERSURFER VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

RocketDog
January 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I have very fine hair, on the thinnish side (3.5" circumference currently) and I just do a braid and sleep on a satin pillowase - I've noticed a lot less breakage since I started doing this, compared to my old cotton pillowcases.

Anje
January 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
3.5" circumference is on the thickish side....

I'm going to add a vote for a satin or silk-satin sleep bonnet. I sleep in one with my hair loose (well, wrapped around my hand a few times to get it in, and I find it cuts down on the tangles.

Another option is to get a silk or satin pillowcase, which can again reduce tangles. The trick with these is to keep your hair on the pillowcase, though, rather than hanging off it and underneath you.

janeytilllie
January 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
I braid my hair for bed loosely

but when im really tired to do braiding

I will wear a sleep cap

i find using a satin or silk pillowcase also helps too :D

hennared
January 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Ooo, I like the hair net idea; I've got to try that. I think a cap might fel a bit too hot, and increase the tendency of my front bangs to get oily. But a net sounds nice and lightweight.

I did not mention the silk pillowcase I made myself; I do think it helps for the tangles. But I certainly still get enough tangles in my 24" long hair that I was beginning to wonder if I really should do something else to protect my hair in addition to the pillowcase.

I know my shed hairs are 'true' shed hairs - bulb and all - but I suppose I'm paranoid enough to wonder if I am causing some to 'let loose' sooner by the pulling caused by separating out the tangles... when you lose a lot of hair rapidly, you grasp at straws; what can I say! (and I have been to numerous doctors, and I am on numerous supplements.. the iron helps a bit, it seems)

liselle
January 2nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
I've been sleeping with a hair net on now, for about a year. It honestly feels like there is nothing on your head. I just do a loose pony, then kind of lay it along the top part of my head, then put the net on. Nothing moves at all. :)

Katze
January 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
my hair tangles VERY easily, and the best sleep 'do is to pile all my hair on top of my head, twisting *gently*, then secure it - as close to my forehead as possible - with a claw clip. Because of my shorter nape hairs and wispies this does not contain all my hair, but keeps 90% of it out of my way when I toss and turn.

Braids give me kinks and tangles since so much of my hair is shorter than my longest bits - they fall out of braids and the longest, most fragile hair gets tangled and is hard to unbraid. Therefore, I only braid oiled, "dirty" hair, which tends to stay in a braid better.