PDA

View Full Version : Scalp massage

Yedda
January 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
When is the best tiime to do a scalp massage? In the shower while shampooing? In the shower while conditioning? Outside of the shower? What products do you recommend?

florenonite
January 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I massage in the shower when shampooing to scrub my scalp, but the real massaging I do at night before bed (when I can be bothered :P). I bend over at the waist and make small circular motions with my fingertips for a minute or so. I don't use any oils, just my fingertips. This may or may not improve growth, though I haven't done it regularly in over a year because I'm horribly lazy.

Debra83
January 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
I usually try to do it while I'm sitting at the computer at night before I go to sleep. I also have a little massager brush I've parked here to remind me that I got from Avon. I'll use my hands first and get all over...and then I'll finish off with the little brush. My hair is definitely growing quicker, so I'm sure it's a combinition of vit's, massages, and being nicer to it.

mira-chan
January 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
I scalp massage every day. Usually in the evening. Most of the times I I scalp oil at the same time. I do a more thorough one when oiling pre-wash. I use herbal oil mixes, bought or self made. I don't wash out light oilings, scalp or length, pre-wash oiling is much heavier.

girlcat36
January 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Scalp massage improves my growth rate and decreases shedding. I usually do it at night for about 5 minutes. I use a blend of oils that I mix myself. Usually carrier oils of castor, jojoba, emu with essential oils added.
I did not scalp massage Sept. & October, and for October I got no growth. I will always scalp massage now.

Fantak
January 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I do a light scalp massage whenever I wash my hair during shampooing and with my brush whenever I detangle (not often, usually keep hair safe in braid between washes).

I don't do heavy or vigorous scalp massages, and I've tried almost every method I could get my hands on, because all it did was cause extra shedding. Sooo if you think you are shedding way too much after a massage, try again a few more times if you're still shedding more than you're comfortable with than you might want to try a lighter hand :>

HTH ^.^

Yedda
January 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. :D I think I will start by doing a scalp massage with extra virgin olive oil once a week since EVOO is also recommended as a hair treatment so much on the site.

The first time I do it, I'm going to make it on a Saturday to see if I can use the oil to give myself a scalp massage and not wash it out. My hair is thin and fine so if the oil makes my hair look greasy, I will give myself a scalp massage before taking a bath after that.

Thanks!

suicides_eve
January 1st, 2009, 06:00 PM
i do a scalp massage while in the shower it's just more easier for me since i am on the go all day long

Sissy
January 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
I don't scalp massage but I'm def. interested. It seems as though it would be stress relieving if nothing else.

Sissy
January 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
I wonder about this... my husband bought us this little octopus massage guy and he feels great on the head. I don't know if he's actually hair friendly... but, I don't feel my hair getting pulled by it. We got him at Camden Market. Here's what he is:
http://www.unwind.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/headwizard.jpg

oh baby! he does feel good. You'd have to feel it to believe it. It makes you tingle.

Do you think this has the same benefits as scalp massage?

RavennaNight
January 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. :D I think I will start by doing a scalp massage with extra virgin olive oil once a week since EVOO is also recommended as a hair treatment so much on the site.

The first time I do it, I'm going to make it on a Saturday to see if I can use the oil to give myself a scalp massage and not wash it out. My hair is thin and fine so if the oil makes my hair look greasy, I will give myself a scalp massage before taking a bath after that.

Thanks!

I find EVOO to be a bit heavy on the hair. It might not be the best thing to oil your scalp with, especially if your hair is fine/thin. But everyone is different so it may just work for you. A little bit goes a loooooooong way. :)

Yedda
January 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
I find EVOO to be a bit heavy on the hair. It might not be the best thing to oil your scalp with, especially if your hair is fine/thin. But everyone is different so it may just work for you. A little bit goes a loooooooong way. :)

So what type do you think is good for fine, thin hair?:confused:

RavennaNight
January 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM
I would do a coconut or jojoba. Since coconut oil starts off solid, it's so mucheasier to control. Just scrape your fingernail over the top and use just that bit that you get. Rub it in the palm of your hands and it liquifies nicely.

chrissy-b
January 1st, 2009, 08:13 PM
EVOO is a bit heavy but I use it on my fine hair with good results. Everyone is indeed different.

I have had luck with coconut and emu oil as a carrier and Chrome Dome essential oil blend for my weekly scalp massage. My hair is fairly oily when I get done but I sleep on it and wash it out the following day. I don't know if it has helped with growth but my shed rate is minimal.

I also massage my scalp when washing and some other nights when I remember.

zen_oven
January 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
I don't know know if there's really a best time--I'd say any time that's convenient for you or when you need to relax. I sometimes like to do a scalp massage with some jojoba oil with a drop or two of tea tree oil. I do this the night before a wash. Scalp massages are relaxing and I think they help stimulate growth a bit. I can't think of any downsides to massage, only benefits.

redme
January 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
I love scalp massages and I usually do this every night when I'm reading, watching TV, etc., just because it feels so nice. I don't have a system or anything--I just rub in a gentle circular motion all over my head. I think it helps with hair growth, but it certainly feels good and that's the main reason I do it.

I do have a question, though. Several years ago, I read a post by someone who used rosemary EO with her scalp massage, so although I was wary about using just an EO by itself/using any oil on my scalp at all, I did try it for a few months during my scalp massage (I didn't use the EO every time--maybe once or twice a week). My hair grew like crazy those months and I'm thinking I might try to do that again. Has anyone tried using rosemary EO in this way? Even though it seemed to work, I am still leery of putting the EO directly on my scalp.

Roseate
January 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
So what type do you think is good for fine, thin hair?:confused:

I'd second the recommendation of jojoba oil. I use it almost every night and it never makes my hair greasy the next day. My hair's not fine but it is prone to an oily scalp; coconut oil is great for me to use the night before a wash but not everyday. EVOO I've only used in DT's that are rinsed out right after, since I don't really like the smell.

YMMV- and one good thing about EVOO is that it's probably in your kitchen already!

CaityBear
January 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
I usually do scalp massages in the shower while washing my hair. Though I guess I should start more often. Do then before I go to bed...

Yedda
January 2nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Thank you! I am going to have to do a little experiment with the oils and I appreciate everyone's input.

Anyone have an answer to Redme's question about using Rosemary EO?

Masara
January 2nd, 2009, 02:07 AM
I went through a phase of massaging my scalp every night before bed. I think it increased my growth slightly. I used to bend right forward to massage so it also stretched out my back before sleeping which felt really good too.
I haven't done it regularly for a while. But I'm tempted to start again.
When I massage I often use no oil at all. Otherwise I use coconut oil or the triple annointing oil from nightblooming. I love using EVOO on my fine hair. It makes my hair feel thicker, but I only use it as an overnight deep treatment before washing.

Aditi
January 2nd, 2009, 02:19 AM
I do scalp massage once in a week. I do it with the help of almond and coconut oil as i have very dry hairs and scalp.

Sammybunny711
January 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I totally have to try this now! I hope it speeds up growth. I had the most growth when I was doing shampoo bars every day (now do them every other day) because I was constantly massaging scalp in the shower. Now I know why I didn't have as much growth last month! Scalp massage...HERE I COME!

eaglefeather71
January 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I scalp massage during my heavy oilings. I LOVE scalp massages but only with oils. I don't really like them dry. I havn't been doing it long enough to see if it's helping with growth, but this along with the indian herbs and soapnuts has definetly cut down on the shedding.

Sammybunny711
January 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM
WOW...I did a scalp massage last night before bed and it made me SO sleepy! It was WONDERFUL! I truly hope it helps with growth but if not, then at least it helps me get in to sleepytime zone faster!

ChloeDharma
January 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM
I wonder about this... my husband bought us this little octopus massage guy and he feels great on the head. I don't know if he's actually hair friendly... but, I don't feel my hair getting pulled by it. We got him at Camden Market. Here's what he is:
http://www.unwind.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/headwizard.jpg

oh baby! he does feel good. You'd have to feel it to believe it. It makes you tingle.

Do you think this has the same benefits as scalp massage?

I love those, someone used one on me once and it gave me amazing scalp tingleage! I keep meaning to get one.

Scalp massage i find very helpfull at least for reducing shedding, i do it dry and with oils.....the types i use vary from hesh bhringraj, hesh heenara, trichup oil, hesh almondol, plain sweet almond oil with essential oils added depending on my mood, sometimes with castor oil added.....it really varies but i do make sure i always have heavily oiled my hair and scalp the night before a wash. To be honest i don't remember an oil i didn't like, oh, except mustard oil, but thats because the smell makes me feel a bit queasy and somehow i started tasting it in my mouth about half an hour after i put it on.

So anyway, rosemary EO is a very traditional oil to use for scalp care as is an infusion of the herb used as a rinse and i found it very good for scalp flare ups. Th oil is said to stimulate the hair to enter the anagen phase but i've not so far found any studies to back that up, it's also said to stimulate the cells that produce hairs to divide faster, again i've not found any studies to back that up so make of it what you want. But it does have a long reputation for hair growth as well as the scalp care i mentioned earlier and is one of the essential oils included in the blend tested by the dermatology department of Aberdeen that was found to be effective in treating alopecia areata and androgenic alopecia so that does indicate at least some validity in it's reputation.

I wouldn't use it neat though, well....actually I would, but in the spirit of giving sensible advice it's best to dilute it in an oil like coconut, olive or whichever oil you prefer for scalp massage and hair oilings though my personal advice would be not to use mineral oil for the purpose of carrying an essential oil as it has no skin or hair penetrating properties.
Also i think rosemary can be contraindicated in people with high blood pressure and possibly epilepsy but i might be wrong on the 2nd one but just in case research known contraindications before using it in case any apply to you.

Sorry, a bit side tracked there, but massage does stimulate circulation to the scalp which helps to nourish the follicles, but also has the benefit of speeding the elimination of toxins possibly collecting at the root (which is one theory anyway, going with the idea that the DHT is flushed away by the increased blood flow thereby giving it less chance to stay attached to the root shortening the anagen phase).
Also massage help to relax the muscles in the scalp, yep there are some there believe it or not, which can accumulate tension which is thought to have an effect of constricting blood supply.....yeah you get the idea. As a side note that does make it very helpfull for headaches.

Anyway, basically after that long ramble what i mean is i love scalp massaging and really any convenient time is good, doing it before or after brushing your teeth is a good way to make it a habit, or when watching a soap or telly program you view regularly....5-10 minutes is good, bent over is ideal but sat relaxing is better than not doing it at all.
Personally i've come to the conclusion that some conditioners are best not applied to the scalp especially those with cones and/or heavy waxes as i find they increase shedding, but of course conditioners and people vary so whichever you find works for you.

HTH :flower:

eaglefeather71
January 21st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Wow, that was a lot of great information ChloeDharma. Thanks so much! I think you've encouraged me to experiment with Rosemary again.

ChloeDharma
January 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Wow, that was a lot of great information ChloeDharma. Thanks so much! I think you've encouraged me to experiment with Rosemary again.

Awww i'm glad something in there was helpfull to you xx
Rosemary rinses are something i often used to use and loved them as a final rinse. Another way i use roseary is i add some essential oil to some apple cider vinegar in a jar, then once its distributed i add the water and use that for a final rinse making sure to work it into my scalp. Vinegar helps to distribute the essential oil through the water rather than it just sitting on top.

karenpetal
January 21st, 2009, 08:43 AM
I do scalp massage everytime I oil my hair and before shampooing ... abt 3 times a week - I use Bhringraj and almond oil

Sammybunny711
January 22nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
I used coconut oil last night and though it made my hair very soft in the morning...it looks a little flat and dull colored--not shiny like I thought it would (I have blonde hair.) So...I don' t know if I will use it again unless I can put it up in a braid or something (which will be at least a few months more.) :shrug: STILL LOVE the scalp massage, though. Helps me get to sleep!

Sihda
January 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
I do scalp massage about twice a week. Before massaging I dip my fingers in a mixture of jojoba oil and essential oils. I do it mainly for scalp care but it should also help to grow more hair, at least I heard about it :).

beatrixn
January 22nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
I've been doing this for the last few weeks, both with and without EO's. I have eczema on my scalp according to my doctor, and I find that massaging my scalp really relieves the itching and makes my scalp feel less "tight". I usually do it every night, either immediately before I wash or a few hours before if I'm using oils. Once a week I leave oil on overnight, then wash in the morning.

I'm now using a combo of neem, amla, and rosemary oils, which helps tremendously with the itch and flakes. I've also noticed my shedding reducing a bit. It's been scarily high the last few months (like 100+ a day), due to the untreated eczema (and the subsequent scratching and picking), and it's now down to a high-ish normal rate, about 60 hairs a day ::knock on wood:: I've also noticed teensy baby hairs popping up in the last month, but that could also be from the vitamins I'm taking.

Charli800
January 23rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
Does firm brushing count as a scalp massage? I brush at least twice a day and it probably totals up to around five minutes.

ChloeDharma
January 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Does firm brushing count as a scalp massage? I brush at least twice a day and it probably totals up to around five minutes.

Yes as it stimulates circulation to the scalp, particularly bent over brushing.

Sammybunny711
January 23rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I LOVE scalp massage. However, I have a question: when you are doing the finger scritching-like part of the SM massage, do you go forwards and backwards with your fingers as you go along or are you supposed to do circular scritching? By scritching, I mean using pads of the fingers of course, NOT the nails.

karisaf
January 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I love scalp massage....when I get a massage it's always my favorite part. And I always beg my DH to do it, particularly when I have a headache. But I've never thought of doing it to myself! Now that I know it stimulates hair growth I am going to start tonight before bed. I tend to have oily scalp/hair, so I think I'll try it dry first.

pariate
January 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
This may or may not improve growth, though I haven't done it regularly in over a year because I'm horribly lazy.

:lol: Me too. I go through phases with everything - when I'm reminded of something, I'll do it for a few weeks/days... and then I let myself forget again ;)