PDA

View Full Version : Hair doesn't grow over BSL... Pic included

Elly
January 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hi everybody,

Happy new year to all of you! I've been reading this bbs for quite a while but now i decided to post here aswell. Unfortunatly my hair is really thin (I'm an 1aFi I'd say.) :rolleyes: and I'm trying to get over BSL since almost 2 years. But whenever i get over this specific lengh my hair starts to either break or grow in different speed because the hair which grows from my neck is always shorter than the rest of my hair. And since an upside down U-cut doesn't look any nice I end up cutting it back to BSL all the time. :rolleyes: I wonder if this really is my terminal lengh or if maybe my hair just breaks because of any reason?
My hair gives me alot of troubles even tho i stopped to use cones over 4 years ago. My hair is always very dry and looks almost fluffy like straw. And after i brush it, it starts to get full of knots directly afterwards again. It basically is never ever silky soft eventhough I pay alot of attention to avoid blowdrying and rogh combing. My basic routine looks like this:

- Mild cone free natural shampoo 1-2 a week (whenever it's needed) but i don't wash often. I only use it on the scalp.
- Cassia every 2 weeks
- Sometimes Jojoba Oil (but i'm not sure if it helps at all)
- Sometimes conditioner
- using a wooden comb and a brush with boar bristles
- no hairdyes, no chemicals

Here is a picture of my hair. It's been basically looking like this for 2 years already. It looks a bit wavy but that's because i was wearing a bun yesterday. As you can see it looks sort of dried out and messy. Even tho my ends are cut to be even my hair always looking like this or worse.

I wonder if i can't grow it any longer than this at all. What can I do to improve my hair?

Thank you so much for your help.
Elly

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1827/11ty0.jpg

Kuchen
January 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
The shine and colour are gorgeous, and the ends look ok in the photo! I'd suggest giving up brushing. Every time I pick up a brush, be it boar bristle or a tangle teezer or a Denman, I end up with breakage, even if I detangle beforehand. Static is stirred up and causes knots and it's all a disaster. Some hair just doesn't like being brushed.

minkstole
January 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Maybe the frequent cassia is to blame? I haven´t ever tried it myself, but when I used to henna my hair, it became very brittle and more prone to damage and breakage at the ends.

Anyhoo, you hair looks really nice :)

squiggyflop
January 1st, 2009, 08:59 AM
hmm maybe you are just stalled.. and not everyone grows super fast.. the ends dont look bad so im guessing that it can get longer.. have you been trimming.. that could cause it to not seem to grow too..

Melian
January 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
My advice? Ditch the boar bristle brush (ugh hate them), cassia only once every 6 weeks (it dries your hair out if you use it too often) and use conditioner every washing. O and use a leave in! Put it up and when you comb, start at the bottom and work your way up!

YogaGirl59
January 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Elly,

I was reading your post before scrolling down to your picture. I expected to see a horrible mess, but your hair is pretty! It's very shiny and looks much thicker than you described.

I agree you should probably stop the brushing. I'm also wondering about the Cassia. One of my nieces did Cassia and loved the results, so I did it for another niece and it dried her hair out and made it frizzy. I just depends on your hair.

Good luck!

akurah
January 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I suspect your frequent trimming is also to blame.

Have you considered changing products? Your hair may not be fond of what you're washing with.

girlcat36
January 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have a different hair type, but the same problem. I have been trying to grow out my hair since 1991, believe it or not! It always hovered around APL. The ends always broke at that length. Things I do:

Sleep on a silk pillowcase
Use only unseamed combs
No cones!
No sulfates
I don't brush, but I do use a Boar's bristle brush on my scalp only
I clarify(if you don't--build up will prevent moiture from getting to hair, cauing dryness+breakage)
My hair doesn't seem to like protein, so I stay away from that
Scalp massage with oil---I figure it will strengthen my hair so when it gets longer it will be less likely to break.
Microtrimming(I stay out of salons)

Some of these things you already do. Your hair looks pretty, and is a beautiful color. I wouldn't be unhappy with your hair!

Elly
January 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM
thanks alot for all those fast and helpful replies, I just left the computer for a little bit and got so many replies already. :D

About the trimming: Well I think I did it around every 4 months because of the unregular ends. I think i wont cut anymore at all and see what happens.

I'm definetly going to stop using the boar's bristle brush. i've had a bad feeling about it for some time and your replies make me believe that I'm doing no good for my hair if i keep using it.

Also I'll start to use cassia way less now. I'm thinking about once every 2 months. Cassia gave me nice volume every time I used it but I gotta figure out if it's drying my hair out too much.

I'll also start with the Conditioner-Wash-Conditioner method again, when washing my hair. Prolly shampoo only with the occasional conditioner didn't do so well either. And tomorrow i gotta look for a new shampoo and conditioner that's conefree and without sulfates.

Thanks for your hair compliments.. I didn't see that coming. I guess I'm seeing my hair in a worse state than it really is. I just wish it would grow longer. Until the hips would be totally fine by me. :p

If there are more things to avoid or to add to my routine please feel free to tell me about it. I'm always happy to get suggestions and tips.

Thanks so much,
Elly

lora410
January 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
I would get off the brush and do cassia less. Your hair may not like like non-cones or possibly the jojoba oil. When is the last time you clarified? Even though you don't use cones you still need to clarify now and again. So, clarify try cones first with jojoba for 2 weeks and if you hair acts better you know that was the issue. If not, clarify again and try non-cones with a different oil. You hair is exactly how mine was years ago when I chopped it to shoulder length. I also invested in a great sleep cap for night time.

Akiko
January 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Happy New Year and welcome to the board.

I don't have much to add. Do you wear hair up or down normally? If down, you might consider putting up. I wonder if your hair is constantly rubbed against the back of a chair or some sort and causing breakage at BSL. Just my thought. Your hair looks beautiful in the pic.

Demetrue
January 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Try diluting your shampoo with catnip tea and just pouring it on your scalp, gently massage scalp and then rinse out. Then condition with whatever you want. I would cut back on the frequency of the cassia, which you have already decided to do. Otherwise, your hair looks beautiful - gorgeous and shiny.

Anje
January 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
Your hair is pretty!

My first thought, if your hair is dry, is that you need to consistently use conditioner, every single wash. If you don't like the weight, you could use it only from the ears or neck down, but the dry ends really need moisture.

Secondly, you may need to wear it up a lot, if you aren't currently. BSL is about the point where chair backs hit, and these can cause a lot of wear on your ends. If you put your hair in a style where it can't hit chairs, you might find that the ends won't break off as much.

Radulfr
January 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have a different hair type, but the same problem. I have been trying to grow out my hair since 1991, believe it or not! It always hovered around APL. The ends always broke at that length.
I believe you GC. I haven't cut since 1999 and my hair has stalled at BSL for about as long as yours. :(
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Radulfr
January 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks to all for the good tips in this thread. I'm going to try them too.

busnutmedic
January 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
My thoughts are also that it's the trimming. If your hair grows slowly, it might just be taking off the new growth. Happy growing, and your hair is beautiful :)

Elly
January 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
So many new and helpful replies again! Thank you!

I hope this doesn't sound too noobish... but how do i clarify my hair? I think I never did that before. :confused:

Usually I wear my hair down. At least when i'm at home. When i go out I usually use a ponytail or a bun or I braid them. I think I start to wear them up at home aswell. I really gotta learn how to do some pretty hairstyles.

MusingFrog
January 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
You clarify by using either a clarifying shampoo (I think a lot of people around here use Suave, but anything that says "clarify" in the name should work) or use something like baking soda mixed with water. Clarifying basically strips everything off your hair. So if you have a product build-up it will get rid of it all so you can start with fresh hair instead hair coated with bits of everything you've been using since forever.

Wearing your hair up will definitely help, especially when you are outdoors. Ponytails and braids are nice (I wear ponytails all the time) but the don't protect the ends of your hair at all. So you should probably find a nice quick bun style you can use where the ends are protected. At BSL, the hair is starting to hit lots of things when in a ponytail. They brush against your shirt, chairs, etc. all day long and as such really take a beating.

Also, be aware that as you grow your hair out your hemline won't stay perfectly neat. In order to gain length, you need to figure out how much your hair grows then make sure you are cutting less than that when trimming. Otherwise, whenever you cut you are simply taking your hair back to the length it was at originally.

spidermom
January 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi! You have lovely, shiny hair. I think that CWC washing is good. If conditioner weighs your hair down too much, then just do CW (conditioner to length, wash scalp, rinse everything away). I also advise that you keep track of growth for a few months so that next time you need a trim, you can be sure to trim less than you've grown. Or stop trimming for awhile and see how your hair does. Start wearing your hair up more to keep the ends from catching on things/rubbing against things. At your length, I liked to twist my hair up the back and then secure with a claw clip, leaving the ends free. That's a pretty, casual style.

girlcat36
January 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks to all for the good tips in this thread. I'm going to try them too.

Hey, we'll get there, Raulfr! I'm already doing better since joining LHC. Possibly there are some tips in this thread you haven't tried yet, and maybe they'll make a difference!

Elly
January 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
I just clarified my hair with a mixture of one tablespoon of baking soda in a small pot of warm water. I left it in my hair for about a minute and then washed it off. I guess i had alot of build up in my hair since it felt completely greasy when i touched it after i put the baking soda mix... now i wonder how my hair looks like once it's completely dry. :eek:

maskedrose
January 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
I don't have anything new to add, since everyone else has already given you the advice that I would have. However, just wanted to let you know that your hair really is lovely! The color is gorgeous, and it's really quite shiny! I've found that applying a bit of coconut oil to damp ends and then putting it up really locks in the moisture.

Welcome to LHC and happy growing :)

Allegra
January 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
I am suffering from the exact same frustration as you. I've been at BSL for over 4 years now, no matter what I do!
It's been said earlier, but really try wearing your hair up most of the time. I started doing 2 months ago, and can you imagine my shock when my hair grew an inch for the first time in years! The main culprit was my office chair, when i paid attention to it the exact spot it 'hits' me is at BSL, same with my car seat.
So yeah, definitely try that, I'm sure it will help you a lot.

ssjhotau2
January 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Also-I would suggest coconut oil instead of jojoba or daily oiling. I use jojoba on my skin and for the night before I shampoo. My hair very much prefers coconut oil.

And your hair is very beautiful and healthy looking. Mine also have problems growing past BSL in the past. Keeping it up and out of harms way is great advice.

shwankie
January 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Your hair is actually quite lovely, though I understand it's frustrating to be stuck at a growth plateau. You've gotten some great advice already, and you might want to head over to the thin/fine hair thread (There's lots there, too!!):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=thin+hair+thread

(I hope I linked that right).

I've got fine, thin hair as well, but fortunately, mine grows pretty quickly (3/4 of an inch to an inch a month). Here's what works for me:

-I scalp wash only, I do still use cones (they make my hair less tangly, though I am going to experiment with no cones starting soon), and haven't "washed" my full length in...well, as long as I can remember. I just let the suds slide down as I wash my scalp then rinse.
-I condition every time I wash, from the ears down.
-I ACV every time I wash, then gently rinse my hair in very cold water. I wash standing up (washing upside down creates rat's nests I'd need to cut out).
-I do not rub my hair when drying. I gently squeeze out any water without ringing, then put it up gently in a towel. Unlike many others, I do gently detangle with a smooth pick when wet. If I don't, I'll never get the tangles out.
-I oil from the ears down with jojoba daily right after washing. I then immediately put the hair up, usually in braids. My hair is simply too thin and slippery for most other things to work. I oil then ends, and tuck up or make side buns with braids sometimes. I canot leave my hair down for long periods of time, or I get snarls, especially at the nape, that are very difficult and damaging to get out. I do wear it down sometimes, but usually it's at least in a braid or folded ponytail.
-I dust my hair every 6 months or so, and am working towards a blunt hemline (Currently u shaped, which I've done some serious thinking on and have decided isn't working for my hair for a variety of reasons).

Not sure if any of this helps, but thought it might. In addition to what other posters have suggested (especially the possibility that it might be good to stop trimming for a while) these are some other questions/ideas:

-How is your diet and do you take any supplements? You may want to try adding some Biotin (it definitely helps me), and make sure you're getting enough protein and fatty acids. I notice a huge difference in my hair growth if I am eating too much sugar/starch or just generally unhealthy food. It grows much quicker, for me, if I eat a natural, healthy diet with plenty of fruits, veggies, and fats.

-Is your environment dry? I use a humidifier at night in the winter, which seems to really help both my skin and my hair.

-Put it up with really good, smooth hair toys, and make sure there's no pulling.

Good luck on your growth, and let us know how it goes!

Debra83
January 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM
I would definitely start using coconut oil, made a difference in mine for sure. Also, have you considered going back to a conditioner with cones? Some hair needs them. maybe use one in your second condition step of a CWC? Think about using a leave-in conditioner as well.
Also hair vitamins/body vitamins. Your body won't steel all the nutrients from your hair/nails/skin if it has an abundance for the rest of it. And definitely a wide tooth comb instead of a brush. Head massages are a great thing too...start off once a day before bed to get the circulation improving to your scalp. Hope we help and you see an immediate improvement. Happy New Year!

Melisande
January 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I second the ideas collected here: cassia only every 6 weeks (maybe add almond or olive oil to the mix), CWC with diluted shampoo, horn comb instead of brush, updo habits, no ponytails, coconut oil.

My raggedy looking, sensitive, dry ends look much better when I do a deep treatment once a week. I use a mixture of conditioner, oils, AVG, honey, wheat protein. You have to find out what your hair likes - it took me months to find the right ingredients and mixture.

Smoothe it onto the breakage-prone ends and lengths, cover with sandwich bag and warm towel, wash after at least one hour. It's one of the endless SMT varieties. It makes my ends softer, more flexible and less dry-looking. Maybe once a week is too much but my ends show the wear and tear of chemical dye.

Even better is Fox' Shea butter recipe as post-wash leave-in. It's whipped shea butter with oil (I use jojoba but any oil your likes is fine) and conditioner. I never go without it. It doesn't make my hair stringy as oils can. It's amazing stuff.

I think that when your ends are thoroughly moisturized, they won't break. And if they don't break, they'll grow longer. Did you try damp bunning? I mist my ends with a special mixture before I bun them.

Bun gently, don't twist too hard.

Make sure that the hair that grows from your scalp is in optimal shape. Boost it with biotin or silica, if something might be missing in your diet. massage your scalp and pamper it. You want to send these new hairs on a long time mission.

BTW: your hair is really truly beautiful. I'm sure it can grow longer.

Elly
January 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM
i still have a pot of coconut oil at home. :) I'll give it a try again. I just gotta find a way so i don't use too much of it and make my hair look oily.

About the cone.. I honestly don't know what to do. I might give it a try again. But i remember that 4 years ago my hair started to get very pretty after i stopped it. (it was of course way shorter than it is now..) I might go conefree for a little more and if nothing improves then i'll try it again, :)

@shwankie, i'll definetly take a look at the fine hair thread. That one looks really interesting. I'll also try your routine out. I've done ACV in the past with quite nice results.

About the supplements: I'm taking a combi product that has zinc & biotin since 2 months. So far i didn't see any improvements but i bet its too early to tell. I'm usually trying to eat healthy but lately I couldn't take much care of it. I'll try to improve that for 2009 :D

The enviroment is actually pretty humid so that should be ok.:p

@Debra83 I definetly gotta buy a new comb. My horncomb doesn't have wide tooth. Headmassages sound promising too.

@Melisande I gotta try out the Shea Butter Recipe. That sounds amazing. About the damp bunning: I tried to mist my hair some time ago with rose water but i couldn't see any difference.

Demetrue
January 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Alos, you could try using catnip tea to help with split ends. Here is the thread on it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476

jojo
January 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
I found my hair got better when I started to oil my ends and bun daily. Your hair looks very beautiful, shiny and thick to me though.

Sissy
January 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think there are a lot of good suggestions here. I have recently learned that not all cones are created equally and that the water soluble ones may not necessarily be bad. I have also learned about bakelite and wooden combs to protect from breakage. I have heard about the satin pillow case but have not yet tried it.

Basically, everyone gave you great ideas to try. I don't have much new to add. However, I was going to say since you are doing a lot right maybe it's more of a supplement issue. I know you said you take biotin. That's something I take as well. Do you also take a women's multi?

There are other foods that can help with hair growth and health of hair. Omega Fatty Acids like in salmon and nuts. Also, cucumbers as they have silica. Soy is supposed to be good for women... in moderation. Also, whey protein or just protein in general. Most importantly H2O... when I was drinking a lot of water my hair health greatly improved... I need to take my own advice and start drinking more water again.

Also, here is a very interesting vitamin regimen that you may want to consider. I do not follow it as I already get so much in my GNC Women's Ultra Multi and biotin and fish oil supplements. I am considering adding the Evening Primrose Oil.

Here is the thread to Bargello's VItamin Regimen:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83&highlight=biotin

TheBlondeApple
January 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'd suggest Feye's Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) to self-trim your hair. That way you KNOW how much has been cut off.
I don't think no-trimming is a good option if you are concerned about your hemline to begin with. If you trim it yourself, you can decide how much you need to trim, just a microtrim or maybe a maintaining trim.
Anja