PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for cycling

Jostar
January 1st, 2009, 05:58 AM
I am just getting into cycling and of course, safety first, I need to wear a helmet. I am having trouble getting my hat on over my hair - its even tricky with a french plait. I wonder does anyone have any suggestions for suitable hair dos to keep my hair tidy and neat while wearing my lovely helmet. Pony tails are difficult because they swish about and my hair gets super cotted. Thanks very much.

Katze
January 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM
well, I ride without a helmet like everyone else here in northern Germany, but when I am going on longer rides and want to wear a cap, either two side braids ('Heidi' style) or a French braid work best. My hair is very messy and doesn't stay in any updos well, especially in our chronically windy weather, so braids are the best. The only disadvantage, of course, are the braid kinks I get afterwards.

For my daily commute to work I usually clip my hair loosely up in a Ficcare then take it down when I get there. Headbands and/or barettes are also nice for keeping long bangs etc. out of your eyes.

As long as my hair is somewhat secured - it can be a hat or hood, too - it isn't a problem while biking...

Anje
January 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
One idea that was tossed around recently (but which I haven't tried yet) is to get a "pony scrub" hat and wear that underneath the helmet. This appeals to me a lot because my braid likes to fall over my shoulder when I'm biking, especially when I use the drop handles, and it's a bit annoying.

Looping a low braid back up to its base and securing could work too, if the hair ends don't make you itch.

ole gray mare
January 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I just wear a braid. When I get to work, I take the braid out and bun my hair. It works well for me.

MusingFrog
January 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'd think the best thing would be some kind of braid as others suggested. You could double or triple it depending on the length. A very low bun might work as well (is trying to remember how low her helmet goes). If you are biking to somewhere where you need to be presentable (work), you can always take a quick trip to the restroom once there and re-due your hair in something a bit more work appropriate.

chrissy-b
January 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Single or double braids. If you want to keep the braid out of the way, you can tuck it into the back of your shirt collar.

Tornerose
January 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Braids like the rest of them said. Instead of the normal ponytail, you could also try a variation of pigtails behind the helmet, or when you've made the ponytail, get anther scrunchie and put the ends in again at the top so it's more of a loose bum

TheStorm
January 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I don't wear a helmet for cycling either but what I used to do when I had a motorbike and had to wear a helmet on there is to put my hair into a low ponytail, braid it and loop the bottom around back up to the band at the top and secure it in a loop. This way it doesn't fly around too much or get caught in anything, also being low down the helmet sort of rests against it rather than on top of it.

Darkhorse1
January 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I ride horses and have the same problem. With newer helmets, you can't squish your hair up into them anymore.

I always do a low braid--you can even braid a ponytail. This keeps it from getting tangled. For show season, I've played around with a few styles, but the banded/folded braid is the best. I also have a black snood that fits under my riding helmet, and I can fit my hair into (in a braid) then tie that. Looks a bit neater in competition.

Hope those solutions help :) Also, get a bunch of black satin hair scrunchies. They make folding the braid very easy and look nice. The key is not to bunch it too low, or your helmet will tip forwards.

Ursula
January 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM
A single braid, or double braids, not frenched, would probably be your best bet, as if they are started low there is no accumulation of hair on your head.

Dianlya (I think - it was a while ago that I remember reading this) has a trick with pantyhose where she puts her braid down the leg, and the "panty" part over her head, wrapping the other leg around to keep it in place. this protects her hair from the helmet.

may1em
January 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
A very low infinity bun works with a helmet, and I've also had luck with a headscarf tied around a very low bun.

My old helmet had a notch for a ponytail, but they don't make helmets like that anymore. Now I have this helmet with a plastic strap system behind the head. Sometimes I can pull a braid through the space between the plastic straps and the helmet body, but the infinity bun works even better.

Islandgrrl
January 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I braid my hair and then pull a buff over my head so that my helmet doesn't cause friction on my hair. Extra bonus: the buff helps absorb sweat so it doesn't drip into my eyes while I ride. When I get where I'm going I can either unbraid and fluff and use the buff for a scrunchie-bun, or just rebraid it.

dancingbarefoot
January 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I just do a single braid. My helmet has a hole in the back for ponytails/braids, so I just stuff it through there and it's fine. It's a tight fit with the size of my braid (near the scalp, anyway), but it works. My braid usually falls forward over my shoulder while I'm biking, so it never gets caught in the rear tire.

Darkhorse1
January 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
OMG! People use pantyhose for hair nets at horse shows :D THey are stronger than hair nets and the feet portion make it easier to make a 'bun'. :D

I just am not sure how low a bike helmet fits vs a riding helmet. My helmet is curved fairly low at the back, so I could never do a bun with all my hair. I tried and it pushed the helmet too far forwards.

Remember, you don't want to compramise the fit of the helmet--whether you are cycling, riding a horse or anything else.