PDA

View Full Version : Oil soak/Heavy oiling... how much oil?

FallenAngel
January 1st, 2009, 05:15 AM
How much oil do you guys use when you talk about oil soak or heavy oiling?

And how much hair do you have to go with that oil?

I've figured out how many of you use oil as leave in, and how much oil you use then, but the "heavier" stuff I've not been able to understand.

OhioLisa
January 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM
I just keep glopping it on until my hair looks and feels pretty much completely covered. It's a highly scientific procedure. :silly:

ChloeDharma
January 1st, 2009, 06:48 AM
I just keep glopping it on until my hair looks and feels pretty much completely covered. It's a highly scientific procedure. :silly:

I basically do this too, i just keep applying more and more until my hair and scalp look wet with it

jojo
January 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM
I do deep oils where my hair goes please:tmi: no more im drowning!

So yes I use a lot!

FallenAngel
January 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
And then you sleep with it like that, and wash it off in the morning?

Do you use the oil in wet or dry hair?

jojo
January 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM
I use the oil in damp hair and to get it out in the morning ( I sleep with it on) I just add coneless conditioner no water and leave it for a good 30 minutes and then rinse really well and there you have it. soft managable hair!

venividibxtchy
January 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Just as an example...

Yesterday, in the late afternoon, I slopped coconut oil all over my hair (even a tiny bit at the scalp), and then proceeded to braid it. By the evening, it'd been mostly soaked up. I was going to wash it before bed, but it was too cold (-6F), so I held off until today. No grease on my pillowcase, from what I see, and I can barely feel that I had oil on my hair at all.

The key is to:
1. Use an oil that is a staight-chain triglyceride, so it is properly absorbed: coconut, palm, olive, etc. Jojoba, almond, and other related fats would simply sit on the cuticle, would not assist in giving any long-term moisture, would not help fortify the cuticle or prevent protein loss, and would potentially make you feel horribly greasy because it won't be absorbed.
2. Keep your hair contained in a braid, bun, etc.
3. Give it time. A few hours is sufficient, but overnight works, too.

aisling
January 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
When I do a so called heavy pre wash oiling, I don't think I use more than a teaspoon of oil, even on dry hair a little goes a long way. Sometimes I mist my hair with a little water before oiling, other times I don't. It's a bit easier to spread the oil I think when my hair is damp, but the result isn't different for me.

Briar
January 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
I use about...two finger scoops (so scientific!) of coconut oil on dry hair. I rub the first scoop in my hands til it's melted and my hands are quite oily, then I slather it down my hair. Then I repeat. I make sure to coat the ends extra well. Then I put it up in a bun for a while, or more rarely a braid. I usually CWC wash the same day I use oil really heavily.

Anje
January 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
I don't do many heavy oilings, but when I do, I typically use enough so that my hair looks rather damp, which might be a few teaspoons of coconut oil.

Mind you, I have very little trouble getting oil to come out of my hair, so overdoing it isn't a problem. If you have difficulty getting it out, you might want to use less, and use a lighter, less viscous oil (such as coconut rather than olive).

FallenAngel
January 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thank you for all your answers. I'll try my coconut oil when I'm done with my one thing a month change (CWC).