PDA

View Full Version : what is protein treatment

Lisa Marie
December 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm a newbie and I've seen some references to giving your hair a protein treatment, but after searching the forum I'm not finding much information. What are the indications that you might need a protein treatment? What are some common protein treatments and how often are they done? Thanks for any info!
Lisa Marie

Fantak
December 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
The best place to start would probably be Kirin's Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44).

There are also many other interesting articles in the Articles section you might want to look at ^.^

After you find out what's wrong you can search the forum for the treatment you need, or if you like, post again with more details on the condition of your hair so that we can help with suggestions on what might work.

HTH ^.^

Elainehali
January 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
One way I give my hair protein is to dilute protein filler in a spray bottle. (Protein filler is at sallys beauty supply in store or online).

it's intended use is to fill in the more porus parts of hair so that dye takes evenly. It does work for that, but it's also the best/cheapest protein threatment I've found.

I even can get protein filler in red to enhance my color.
If you're not looking to tweak your color just get neutral protein filler.

Lisa Marie
January 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the tips on protein treatment. I have looked in the articles section and don't seem to really find anything on it.

Thanks, Lisa Marie

Fantak
January 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Sorry you couldn't what you were looking for. I'll try again :)

Hair is made up of keratin, which is a type of protein. With chemical treatments, time, and other forms of wear and tear hair losses some of its protein. When this happens hair can become wirey, fragile and the ends seem transparent, and the strands themselves seem rough (to a greater or lesser extent, my hair just becomes a little dull). When this happens you can do a protein treatment to temporarily replace the protein in your hair. Some hair responds well to protein in hair products (such as in conditioners) while other find that it makes their hair dry and brittle, this is easily remedied with moisture treatments.

Hope that helps ^.^

Sissy
January 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I have recently done a protein treatment. My hair seemed to respond well to it. Here is the thread and I did post some pics of the results:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17872

I used Queen Helene's Cholesterol. You can also use eggs (another LHC member had posted a thread on this). There is another brand called Softee (I think) Cholesterol and there is a positive review on it in the LHC reviews section. The reviewer says it's better than Queen Helene's. I had a look for it in the shops yesterday and could not find it. Also, I have 2 things from Sally's Beauty Supply which are also considered protein treatments (to the best of my knowledge). One is Ion Effective Care Treatment Intensive Therapy Protein Rebuilder and Moisturizer (haven't tried it yet). The other is called Henna and Placenta (also have not tried but it does get good reviews by some in the reviews section).

~GypsyCurls~
January 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Elainehali, I need to try that protein filler! I normally use Aphogee which works for me (although it stinks), but the filler would be nice to use in between full protein treatments.