PDA

View Full Version : Darn Layers!

MimiKeki
December 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hey everyone. Has anybody ever had layers cut into their hair, and later regretted it? Take me, I had layers cut in back in the Summer.. My hair is BSL, but some of the layers only reach the bottom of my ears!

Question - HOW exactly did you grow them out, considering your main goal is to grow your hair LONG? Did you go for regular trims to let the layers "catch up", or did you decide to wait until your hair was, say, waist-length before keeping that length while waiting for the layers to catch up.. How long did it take, roughly? Was it worth the tedious wait?

I'm trying to find a way to enjoy the layers, but since I made the decision to seriously grow my hair, I can't help wishing everything was even and neat!:o

ssjhotau2
December 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm growing out layers and I regret them.

I also had BSL hair -and just before I joined I got layers cut. Now I've had layers since I was in highschool and I honestly have always loved them. But they've never been longer than a 2-3 inches and easy to grow out.

When I got these layers cut into my hair, I stressed that I wanted to keep the overall length. She wasn't my normal person so I brought a picture of what I wanted and everything. Just a few inches like usual. Needless to say I don't think she knew what she was doing because she started my layers above my ears. AND she turned me away from the mirror so I couldn't see-something I no longer tolerate. It looked terrible.

Now this is where everyone's choices differ. I joined just a few days later and decided to chop as much as I could stand to lose. I went from just below BSL to above my shoulders- and I'm still growing out about 4 inches of layers.

I don't regret it- but the choice is yours. I decided to cut most, and grow out the rest until I reach BSL again- then I hope to maintain that length with regular trims until my hair is even.

If you're ok with losing some hair I'd recommend the same. If not, then I'd say find a length you're comfortable with maintaining and start gradually evening it up.

MimiKeki
December 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Oh man, sorry you had a disappointing time with the stylist. That's really bad, how she turned you away from the mirror! I'd seriously start panicking if that happened to me.
It sounds like you did a good thing, cutting off as much as you could to get a more fresh start. Hmm. I just like to know that there's others here who are/have been in the same boat, y'know?
I think I'll make a decision in a while.

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hello MimiKeki!
Yes, I have layers and I do regret them :(...Before I cut them, my hair was all one length and to me at the time, felt heavy and took forever to comb and take the tangles out..that was before I really actively joined here and am learning how to better care for it.
Now, my hair does not feel as thick because of the layers and when ever I braid my hair, it sticks out all kind of crazy directions ..ha! But I do plan to do mini trims to get it back to even length... Placing my hair in a bun helps me forget about it..and you would be amazed how much faster your hair seems to grow when you kind of don't pay attention to it :)

MimiKeki
December 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM
From your sig, Katiana, I see you have gorgeous hair. Your hair is the reason I thought "You know what? Maybe I should grow my hair to waist-length, and THEN assess how it looks before making another rash decision I might regret." - because I might come to like it alot.
Just wondering, how long is your shortest layer? I can't quite tell from the pic.

And you give good advice - Hair does seem to grow faster when you don't pay attention. I must stop watching paint dry :P

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 02:34 PM
From your sig, Katiana, I see you have gorgeous hair. Your hair is the reason I thought "You know what? Maybe I should grow my hair to waist-length, and THEN assess how it looks before making another rash decision I might regret." - because I might come to like it alot.
Just wondering, how long is your shortest layer? I can't quite tell from the pic.

And you give good advice - Hair does seem to grow faster when you don't pay attention. I must stop watching paint dry :P

Many thanks Mimikeki for the kind words:pinktongue:

Okay..you made me take out my stragely, crazy hair sticking out all over the place braid to find out for myself where my first layers start! :eye: hee,hee..it looks like it is just about past BSL for the first layers. From that layer, I just measured to the last one is about a 6.5-7" difference.
I would wait on your hair...I think there are times I do like the layers..like when it is down ( but I also hardly wear it down, once down it is up in the next 5 minutes for me since I have little ones )..just let it grow out some, and do little mini trims..I find layers look better as they are growing out..it is just such a pain to put in a nice braid now..but I hear you about the watching the wet paint dry..believe me, I do this too :)

MimiKeki
December 31st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Aw shucks, you didn't have to take your braid out! XD
Thanks very much though. Hmm, well layers don't seem that bad now.. Maybe it just takes patience. The more people I see with lovely long layered hair, the more hopeful I feel, really.

missbexy
December 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I have had layers and regretted them 2/3 times, I spent ages trying to grow them out all these times only to some how end up with them again. I'm about an inch off all one length (about 2 years no trims). The layers seem to grow quicker than the longest part which helps.
I'm aiming to get it all to length where I can trim it to neat one length ends without losing too much length.

Elphie
December 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm in the process of letting my layers grow out. I've noticed that the last month or so, I haven't gained much in overall length but my longest layer is much closer to my hemline now. I'll take it and be happy!

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
No problem! It was fun...I had not even thought about looking before! Hee,hee...it looks better now anyways...I redid it, so thanks! :)
Have a Happy New Year and hope you reach you hair goals for 09!

mellie
December 31st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I regret mine for sure - the only good points are that my hair isn't as heavy and dries faster. But, once I get to my goal, I do want to get it all one length again. It's so much easier to make braids, etc!

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have layers and i really regret doing it! :(

I had to cut my hair from butt length to shoulder because i dyed my hair and it ruined it :( so i thought since i need it cut i will put in layers, silly me!

Heres my hair short with layers this was about 2 years ago :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27982&albumid=2286&dl=1230748368&thumb=1

All i did, was every 3 months trim just a little of the end of each layer i think this method is called dusting?

This is my hair in october

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27985&albumid=2286&dl=1230748368&thumb=1

I still think my ends look funny, but i plan to let all the layers catch up to wasit and then snip snip so its even.

I oil my ends with coconut oil i think this helped alot to make my layers and ends look better.

Hope this helps:D I feel your pain about layers .:justy:

MimiKeki
December 31st, 2008, 03:47 PM
My, oh my, I'm really *not* the only one! So much regret for a thread hehe :P
But as I said, seeing such lovely locks inspires me.
Janeytillie, I don't know why, but I can't see your pics! I'm really curious now :(

Tressie
December 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
My layers bother me too, but I try not to get hung up on it! When I reach terminal, possibly before, I may try to even up my hemline, so the ends look less thin...........maybe!

Pinga
December 31st, 2008, 04:01 PM
MimiKeki,
Hello from another newbie. I have long layers in my hair that I have been growing out for about two years. When my hair was above APL, I liked having them. As my hair continues to grow, right now around waist length, the layers are just a pain and make my hemline look thin.

Luckily the layered ends don't stick out too much when I wear my hair up since I also have a taper. The shortest layer is about 4 inches from my ends. I've pretty much just let it grow aside from one trim. I'm planning to trim the layers out slowly usings Feye's method, so hopefully towards the end of 2009 I'll be all one length again.

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2008, 04:26 PM
My, oh my, I'm really *not* the only one! So much regret for a thread hehe :P
But as I said, seeing such lovely locks inspires me.
Janeytillie, I don't know why, but I can't see your pics! I'm really curious now :(

very weird:confused: I can see the pics, maybe because your a new member you cant see them yet? im not sure? i think i had the same problem when i joined i couldnt see other memebers pics. Or maybe its my pc ? I wonder if anyone else can see them? im confused????:confused::confused: lol :D Im sorry you cant see them

berr
December 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, I had a layered cut. Still growing it out. Now I have a new problem with new growth and I've got all these whispies. I'm seriously considering trimming the ones that escape my braid and stick out all around my face and down below my chin. Some are short and some are long and none of them are even. I'm thinking about just getting that part evened up. Or trying some superglue to keep them back. :D I hate that paste stuff for spikey hair but I suppose I should use some to try to tame those bits.

KC83
December 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Seems like I am the only one but I love my layers. But it really depends on the hairstylist. Some really messed my layers up and I wanted to grow them out but never been patient (the longest I went without cutting my hair was about 3 months). Then I found this wonderful hair dresser about 2 years ago and she does them just perfect so I am happy.

manyhorsesmane
December 31st, 2008, 09:28 PM
KC83: Nope, you're not alone, I'm into my layers too~ I guess you have to have a tolerance for that kind of randomness with hair that way LOL!

manyhorsesmane
December 31st, 2008, 09:29 PM
KC83: Welcome to LHC and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

KC83
December 31st, 2008, 09:33 PM
oh thank you manyhorsesmane! happy new year to you too!

MandaMom2Three
December 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I hate my layers too :( . Not only are layers not a good idea as they make my thin hair look even thinner, the stylest went totally layer happy and my longest layer is BSL and the shortest is just about at my jaw (and this was done early SPRING, so they were ridiculously short when they were first done :( . I grow about an inch a month and I trim about 1/2 an inch every other month, so I'm gradually trimming them out while still gaining length.

crystal_89
January 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM
I've got some crazy layers in which I'm going to grow out a bit by trimming an inch or 3 every 6 to 12 weeks. I'll just go to the hairdressers as I feel the 'need' arise.

I had shorter than chin length layers in waist+ hair and didn't have the guts to start trimming until nearly 5 months later. Since the end of September I have had two trims of 2-3 inches and will go back for more trims of 1-3inches every 6-12weeks (as I feel the need arise).

However, I'm not too keen on having hair shorter than BSL, so I have a feeling I'm going to be trimming less off each time with a longer time frame in between each trim.

I should add that I do like layers... its just that the layers I have at the moment are very awkward, due to them being cut in by a friend with no hairdressing experience. I just plan to grow out my layers into a 'nicer' layered style. Which, to get to the length I have now, would still take me nearly two years.

Katze
January 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM
From a heavily shaped shag cut in 2004, I am slowly trimming mine, as I feel the need or when the thinness of my ends really bothers me. The biggest layer is at shoulder now, but I have long bangs, baby hairs, face-framing layers, and lots of other lengths coming in too. My hair was originally cut much longer in the back, so I am still dealing with that, despite straight across trims.

Last trim was in October and I hope to be able to stick it out until April or so!

My recent pics (in album and profile pic) of my taper showed me that layers are only part of the story - there is no one point at which I could cut and suddenly have a blunt hemline. So I am enjoying the length I have and hoping and praying that the thickness will eventually move down.

Addy
January 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
UGH! I hated my last layer job! My hair was layered at bsl and I went in for a trim up <I was growing it long> and the girl cut me layers that started at the tips of my ears and the length was sitting a little past my shoulders when everything was said and done. That was in August of 07. It was so short, she left me with a stubby pony tail with hair falling out of it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Now my hair is one length at a little past APL today. 8 months after growing out that hideous layering job, my hair got to APL and I cut it to shoulder and now I'm edging closer to BSL at the moment. :cool:

I will never get layers put in again because it takes toooooo long to grow out mistakes that incompetent stylist make because they don't know what they're doing. I won't clump all stylist together because I know a few good ones but some of them need different professions.

I have cussed, cried, ranted and raved over that cut but the only thing that seemed to help was patience because hair does grow. I know it sucks because although time does seem to fly, it doesn't when you want your long hair back now!

August of 09 will be two years and I'll be at the same place, maybe a little longer with NO LAYERS! :D I can't wait and I'll be here hopefully cheering you gals and guys on, just keep growing and you'll get there! :)

Happy New Year LHC! :cool:

Upside Down
January 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hello and happy new year!

I have a question about layers and curly or wurly hair. How do you grow it without layers through shoulder lenght? I have always had layers in my hair because it's (or at least was) curly. When the layers grow out it feels like my head is two sizes bigger than it should be :)
so I cut them again.

How do you do it? I really want to grow out layers...

venividibxtchy
January 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
My layers are causing me grief now, too.

My shortest layers linger somewhere between APL and BSL, and my longest hairs are 29". Uh, what?

It makes my ends look thin in a braid, though I guess one can notice the taper. At least they're not really popping out of braids as much.

I can't imagine how long I'll be trimming before it's all thick and even.

rags
January 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Despite my specifiying "blunt cut" I had a stylist put layers in my hair about a years ago. "Oh, it's just around your face - they'll add body" she said. When you have thin, baby fine hair, they do not add body. They simply make you look like you have less hair.

I cut about 3-4 inches at first to even things up a little, then I have grown the shortest layers while maintaining shoulder length. I am just now getting things even enough to start letting it grow more.