PDA

View Full Version : Feye's self trim experience

sibilum
December 31st, 2008, 06:13 AM
Oh, boy, this is going to be a long post. Long time no see! I haven't posted for a while...

So here is what happened... my hair was growing ok, and it was two inches below BSL, but layered. There were 13 months I didn't have any trims.

So here I was, in my holidays, not too much to do, I started doing S&D and found many split ends... and decided to trim. I didn't want to go to the hairdresser, so I decided to try for the first time Feye's self trim. I know many people had good results with it.

My result? It looks ok, I am happy I got rid of all my layers, but sad it is now almost 2 inches ABOVE BSL!!! I couldn't cut it even at first, it was too hard because my hair is too thick and kept "dancing" between my fingers while I tried to cut. :o At one point I got very nervous and believe me, I broke into a sweat! Finally I got it even, but too short.

Bottom line? Don't try to self trim when your hair is too thick... to do a decent job you would have to part it into much more than two parts and then this method wouldn't work anymore.

Periwinkle
December 31st, 2008, 06:28 AM
Well, at least you managed to get rid of all your layers :) Silver lining!

I have problems with my hair being too thin for trims. I have a 5.5" pony circumference, but because of my insane layering, my hair tapers away to very thin ends. I'm forever having the elastic fall off or not hold my hair well enough to trim well. I have another trim day tomorrow (I'm trimmin 1/4" every month to slowly remove the layers), and I'm thinking I'll try ponytailing at the top, then again nearer the ends (so I'll be able to get the elastic round more times), then dragging the bottom elastic down to the ends.

ktani
December 31st, 2008, 09:18 AM
My hair is thin and I have done the method with 4 partings.

I trimmed the back sections brought forward then the rest.

Last time 2 sections only.

Choose a day when you are relaxed to do the trim. I cut a small section for a face framing bit, not a real layer and cut it shorter than originally planned because I could not get it "straight", lol. It was just nerves and I was not in a good mood.

After having to correct a few errors from my stylist, who I have known for years (everyone has an off day now and then), I finally got up enough nerve to trim my own hair again (I trimmed it years ago and lost my nerve after a 3rd trim disaster). I have done it 3 times in the last few months and it has been great. I can trim my hair when I feel like it and if worse comes to worse, get it fixed by a professional. I look at it as fun and a challenge. The less stressed I get about it, the better it turns out.

Jemoiselle
February 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Does anyone have the link for Feye's method? I read it before and use the "blunt instructions" on my hair regularly and LOVE the results, but wanted to try a new shape and now cannot find it! I apologize for hijacking the post so to speak... Jessie

Kimberly
February 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Here's a link http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

I use this method myself. It's easy for me, because I'm casual about cutting off a couple of inches -- I've been removing damage. I typically take off about 2 inches when I trim.

Jemoiselle
February 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Ahhh Kimberly thank you thank you! I felt so silly looking and looking. Usually I am pretty good at navigating menus! I adore Feye's Method, and will never go to a salon again for my trims as long as my hair is long enough like it is now. I couldn't recommend it enough! Thanks again for taking the time to find and post that, you're sweet. Btw, isn't it nice when you get so much length you can be causal about cutting? Hehehe. I took off prob 1.5 inches today without even as much as one eyelash bat.

Jessie

Jemoiselle
February 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Eyelash bat, hehe. That sounded funny. Well, you know what I mean anyway! LOL.

Kimberly
February 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Jemoiselle, you're welcome. :)

I've been pretty casual about cutting off a couple of inches for a long time. The thing is I usually only do it about once a year. Back when I was getting more frequent trims I would have freaked out if someone cut off that much.

So do eyelash bats hang from your eyelashes? Because after you posted to point them out, I started to wonder . . . hehehe

Katze
February 9th, 2009, 01:39 AM
... my hair is too thick and kept "dancing" between my fingers while I tried to cut. :o At one point I got very nervous and believe me, I broke into a sweat! Finally I got it even, but too short.

Bottom line? Don't try to self trim when your hair is too thick... to do a decent job you would have to part it into much more than two parts and then this method wouldn't work anymore.

I've had this happen while trimming other peoples' hair using this method. My solution is 1) to part it into 4 or even 8 sections, clipping the sections up so I don't cut the wrong one; and 2) to "flatten" the section to be cut between my fingers just enough so that the scissors cut through it on one stroke.

Both people whose hair I recently cut have fairly thick hair - BF has 2c/3a curls - and I found that slow going and many sections really did work.

scalawaggirl
February 9th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I love Fey's method and do it myself, too. Boy, I think it's a hair-saver to avoid the costly salon visits along w/the entreaties to cut my hair (ugh).

My hair is very thick, too, and I hadn't thought about separating into more than two sections but will do this next time. I am very slowly cutting out the bad layers in my hair so it will take awhile.

Silver & Gold
February 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I don't have terribly thick hair but I've found that this works better if you let the hair down in sections. I still part for two pigtails but then I let the hair down in 2 or 3 sections. Cut the bottom layers first, let down the next section and cut those layers to match and then let down the next section. You can do it in as many or as few sections as feels comfortable for you.

Katze
February 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yes, I part, then part again, then even part some more. :) This works on my fine, thin hair, and worked even on BF's thick curls, once I'd wet them and combed them flat.

kdaniels8811
February 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I love Feye's hair trimming method, it worked very well for me. Now, no more trims for a year!

MsBubbles
February 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I've had this happen while trimming other peoples' hair using this method. My solution is 1) to part it into 4 or even 8 sections, clipping the sections up so I don't cut the wrong one; and 2) to "flatten" the section to be cut between my fingers just enough so that the scissors cut through it on one stroke.

I need help here: this sounds like something I need to try because I keep cutting my hem diagonally because I can't get the scissors (really good ones) through the whole end of the ponytail.

'Duh' alert! What do you mean by 'sections', that is, how do you section your hair off? Into pony tails like you were starting bee-butt-buns all over your head, or in waves, like the top layer, then middle layer, etc. ARe there any other instructions for this on line? I don't see that on Feye's method. Having a hard time thinking innovatively here :o.

Noctifer
February 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I think I will try that next time i cut my hair. It was supposed to be in april but not sure if that will be needed somehow todays snd-ing ended up whit trimming

kirky
March 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone!

Do you self trim using Feye's method when your hair is damp or dry? I know Feye says she does her's dry, but I wanted to know how everyone else did theirs. I'm due for a trim, and I tihnk I'm going to give this a try!

Feye
March 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi! :) I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. There are great ideas about sectioning the hair here that I haven't tried myself.

I'd just like to add that the last time I trimmed the straight-across way, I didn't pull the scrunchie all the way down, but rather like this instead:

http://pics.livejournal.com/challe/pic/00134chz

I'm thinking about adding this picture to the trimming page. Do the rest of you think that this would work for your hair also? I found that this was easier than pulling it all the way down, as I also got a bit of a tapering thing going and found that the scrunchie would sometimes fall out closers to the ends.

When I trim I spend a whole hour doing it. I put on some good music and just take a little bit at a time, and comb and re-scrunch the ponytail and just trim the longer hairs that stick out. Eventually the combined length that I trim off is somewhere around half an inch or so, except I do it in many small micro trims. This is how I do to avoid cutting it crookedly. My scissors are also blunt after many trims, so I can't take a big chunk of hair and cut it off either.

I hope that helps, and let me know if something on the trimming page is unclear, and I'll edit it and clarify. :flower:

Aisha25
March 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
When I trimmed my hair I took about 2 hours to do it cause I wanted to be sure and accurate and I had my scrunchy like in the picture above it was easier for me. I had to do it wet on the ends that way I can see the uneven parts and just trim right below that. Then I checked again and again to make sure it was all even:)

MsBubbles
March 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I found that this was easier than pulling it all the way down, as I also got a bit of a tapering thing going and found that the scrunchie would sometimes fall out closers to the ends.

Ahah! My scrunchie always fell out when I first used your self trim method starting about 10 months ago. I had a really deep V (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1323&pictureid=15673).

I used to pull the scrunchie to the point where it felt like it was gonna fall out, then grab it and my hair tight, somehow manoeuvre it over my head (too afraid to take it over one shoulder for fear of ending up with a diagonal hem!), try not to move one single hair, then snip the ends off the V.

Yeah! Any additional photos you can put up would help. But I have to say, you have saved me so much in salon hassles and fees already with your instructions so far!

Feye
March 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi MsBubbles, I looked at the pic and your hemline is really pretty!

Thanks for the comments, and I will add the pic if it is thought to be helpful.

Furiana
March 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I think it's helpful, Feye. :) I figured out something similar and I use it all the time now!

ETA: Oh. This may only help people who want to buy new shears, but serrated edges help a million. (Granted that I only own one pair of professional hair shears!)

dulce-de-leche
March 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I had a similar expeience with feye's method with layers.If you take a look at my hair album you will see my attempt to a straight hem line that didn't come out so straight more like a "v"but I was happy because all my nasties were gone.:confused:

emilia83
August 1st, 2013, 08:26 PM

Both people whose hair I recently cut have fairly thick hair - BF has 2c/3a curls - and I found that slow going and many sections really did work.

I just tried Faye's method for the first time and had this problem! I wish I'd done more research. It's still a little uneven, but I'll try to fix it using more sections. I don't think it helps that my hair is still above APL so it's hard to see the ends without a mirror.