PDA

View Full Version : New Hairstyle? "The Arcadian"

Tangles
December 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I posted something like this awhile back in my photo album and got tons of compliments, so I thought I'd do a mini-tutorial. It's a simple hairstyle but requires some special steps, so this may be useful to those of you who want something a bit different but still, well, easy! I believe it would work on most lengths (I'm between APL and BSL right now).

Step 1: Gather small sections of hair (about 1/8 - 1/10 of the total hair, depending on how thick you want the braids) on each side of the head. French braid the first half, English braid the second half so as not to use up too much hair. Secure, for now, with rubberbands.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/lbphe/Arcadian_1-1.jpg

Step 2: Gather the ends of the braids and the remaining hair, make a hole where they meet (as if you were going to do a topsy tail), and gently remove the elastics from the braids.

Now, press all the hair together and pull t through the loop into a bun. Secure with 3-4 pins. It should be quite secure.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/lbphe/Arcadian_2.jpg

Step 3: If desired, add a scrunchie or hairstick for a fancier, less peasant look.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/lbphe/Arcadian_3.jpg

Since this hairstyle reminds me of something in between a braided peasant hairstyle and a Victorian hairstyle, I decided that I would call it "The Arcadian." It reminds me of pleasant summer days. You can make the style tighter or looser, garnish it or leave it plain, do the "loop" higher on the head or lower.

florenonite
December 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Ooh, very nice!

GlassEyes
December 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
o-o Really nice.

Your hair is shiiiiny. xD

Haith
December 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM
This is very pretty. I do something like this on occasion, but you have inspired me to do it more often! I have been slacking with my hairstyles lately, just settling for a cinnamon bun if I want it out of the way. I'm going to wear my hair like this tomorrow, I swear!

PurpleAshes
December 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
It's very pretty! :)

Tangles
December 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Do take a picture, Haith, if possible. I'd love to see how this type of style looks on waist length hair.

The thing I like about this is how it gives some of the old fashioned look without having the ornate heaviness of a Gibson Tuck or such. It also has a very unique look in front due to the side braids. I plan to wear it more often in springtime. :D

Tangles
December 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
o-o Really nice.

Your hair is shiiiiny. xD

*blushes* why thank you... it's partly flash of course.

GlassEyes
December 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
*blushes* why thank you... it's partly flash of course.
You're welcome.

It loks sort of like a hairstyle a greek goddess would wear, you know? Like Persephone pre-rape incident. XD

sahiba
December 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Its looking so nice. :thumbsup:

Twitter
December 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Pretty :). I can't wait till my hair is long enough to do stuff like that!

manderly
December 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
That's a very pretty style! I shall have to try it sometime.

skay
December 31st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Looks great - I especially like the twists and turns in it.

goldenwaves
December 31st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Seraphina
December 31st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Wow,it looks great ! Thanks for inspiring me to do something other than a plain bun every single day :o and it will be great for school next year too :)

LutraLutra
December 31st, 2008, 02:19 AM
Very pretty, I like the 'undone' texture too. Very cool.

Carina
December 31st, 2008, 03:06 AM
That looks beautiful on you.When my hair is bsl I will try and do that with my hair.Thanks for the inspiration.

jel
December 31st, 2008, 07:44 AM
Great style! I love the twists and braids working together...

There's just a bit of the instructions that I don't really get:

Step 2: Gather the ends of the braids and the remaining hair, make a hole where they meet (as if you were going to do a topsy tail), and gently remove the elastics from the braids.

Now, press all the hair together and pull t through the loop into a bun.

Do you mean, after removing braid elastics, do a topsy tail then make a cinnabun with the tail? Or something different?

Pinga
December 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for sharing this style. Your hair looks so soft and pretty. I can only do a single french braid, but hopefully with some practice, I can try this too.

joyfulmom4
December 31st, 2008, 08:25 AM
Pretty! I must try this.

Tangles
December 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Great style! I love the twists and braids working together...

There's just a bit of the instructions that I don't really get:

Do you mean, after removing braid elastics, do a topsy tail then make a cinnabun with the tail? Or something different?

Sort of.
Pull all the hair through the hole, but then wrap it around like a chignon, not so much like a cinnabun.

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Ohhh..Tangles this do is just so lovely! I love the middle pic..I can imagine it with a beautiful little butterfly pin or something delicate looking. Your hair is so pretty by the way. I will have to try this!

Xi
December 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Lovely updo and awesome name!

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2008, 03:34 PM
This is so pretty! im going to try and have a go now at doing it and maybe post a pic of it afterwards? Thanks for posting! :D and your hair is shiney and pretty! :D

TheKnight'sLady
December 31st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Wow, this is so pretty. I'll have to try it sometime soon :)

Tressie
December 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I really like that! I think it would look very elegant dressed up with a few flowers or some pearl pins!

Xandergrammy
December 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM
This is beautiful! Thanks for posting!

Tangles
December 31st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Ohhh..Tangles this do is just so lovely! I love the middle pic..I can imagine it with a beautiful little butterfly pin or something delicate looking. Your hair is so pretty by the way. I will have to try this!

Thank you. I agree, a delicate decoration is better than a scrunchie, but I don't have any sticks or pins or anything...