PDA

View Full Version : Never ending shed

Speckla
December 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Do you ever feel like you just shed and shed? Yet you're gaining length and not getting any bald spots? I still don't see how I can be shedding this much and not thinning.

It's just sometimes unnerving.

*end of frustration*
________
Detroit diesel v8 engine (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine)

Gumball
December 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I thought that at first. Then I realized everyone sheds and nobody completely stops. As long as there isn't any negative signs then I just make sure to clean up after myself when I can. Hehe. Long shed hair is easy to roll up into a ball and toss into the trash.

Fantak
December 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Longer hair can also look like a lot more hair than it really is :)

However if you're counting individual hairs and they still seem like a lot, just like Gumball said everyone sheds, and as long as there aren't any negative effects, it's just your normal hair cycle everyone's a little different some people have a shorter cycle than others ^.^

Alethia
December 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
My hair is at least 46" and I shed a load every day, though less during the winter as long as I get outside for at least an hour every day (I'm sure that telling my body it's cold improves its hair retention). In summer I shed about a loose handful every day. I need to clear my brush each time I use it. If I use a comb, all that happens is that I need to get down on my hands and knees and pick it all up off the carpet. I have to use scissors to clear all the hair out of the vacuum brush each time I use that too.

So, I sympathise, but shedding loads is just normal for some of us. It doesn't preclude you from having long hair. I'm not sure whether there are any people with really thick hair who shed loads though. I'm a definite ii at the nape, but becomes a i about 1/3 down my length.

tigerlily83
December 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm like that right now...I'm shedding a ton, and I don't know how I'm not getting bald spots.

If I were to take hair vitamins, do you think that would help my shedding?

mellie
December 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Since I've been using soapnuts for shampoo, my shedding has stopped! It is so awesome! I used to find hair everywhere - clogging the drain, all over my clothes, chairs, the car, etc...DH would complain about it. Now I don't shed at all!! It's really nice!

Teacherbear
December 30th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Spekla, this may not apply to you, but you might consider any meds you might be taking. Several meds have caused me to shed hair (like almost double or triple my normal daily shed) for months on end - until I stopped the meds. Two or three times I've told my doctors that the meds caused shedding and they always say "well that's not a documented side-effect". Every time I've said, "well it does for me." Every time my shedding has stopped within a week of stopping the meds.

Just a thought.

boomygrrl
December 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I shed a lot...When cleaning the hair out of the shower drain, I used to call it "slaying the hair monster!" Now, my hubby bought me some kind of rubber thingy that catches it so it doesn't go down the drain. Much easier to see how much I shed and to clean up.
I'm not worried because I have so so so much hair. If your hair isn't thinning, I wouldn't worry about it either.
Years ago, when I was a Freshman in college, I got mono. I remember after recovering from it, I shed A LOT of hair...my roommate was concerned. But still...no thinning, no bald spot.

But now that you're sporting the Cafeteria Lady look, maybe the net is keeping you from your normal shedding and so it seems like more is coming out (because it's coming out at once, rather than intermittently). :-P

Speckla
December 30th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Last year my hair was thinning drastically due to health reasons. It's since grown back and become thicker but I still occasionally freak when it seems like I am shedding more than usual. I haven't combed my hair in over a month and just shampooed for the first time in two weeks. There was a lot of hair that had been gathering
________
E-Type (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type)

Darkhorse1
December 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure of 2 things:
People with long hair will notice their shedding a lot more because it's so long
It seems like it's more hair being shed than there really is due to the length.

I'm going through a mini-shed right now. Normally, after I wash, I shed hairs. Always been normal for me. But, then, that was it. Lately, I'm shedding hairs between shampoo days. Not nearly like last year, so I'll take it! :)

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Castor oil has worked for me. Castor oil soaks the night before a wash seemed to get the shedding under control for me. If shedding got bad I did it every night for a week then dropped back to before a wash and that seemed to do the trick. I also tried the garlic supplements and that may be helping also.

Beloved
December 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Not to be alarmist, but hair thinning takes a while to show up in the look of your scalp and hair. If it hasn't always been this way, this is a good opportunity to start looking into ways to stop the shed while your hair still looks good.

Oh, and BCPs can cause hair loss. It's such a common thing to take, I thought I'd mention it.

Hairtada
December 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM
What is a BCP??
I had a huge shed a couple of months ago. Bigger and longer shed than any I have ever had. My hair did get thin...no bald spots. It seems to have slowed down no I am hoping to thicken it back up. Want to be sure I am not taking something to cause it.

Beloved
December 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
birth control pills

Aditi
December 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Longer hair can also look like a lot more hair than it really is :)

However if you're counting individual hairs and they still seem like a lot, just like Gumball said everyone sheds, and as long as there aren't any negative effects, it's just your normal hair cycle everyone's a little different some people have a shorter cycle than others ^.^
That's exactly what i think about shedding hair.

gokul
December 31st, 2008, 05:35 AM
great to see

Tabitha
December 31st, 2008, 05:40 AM
great to see

gokul, I want you to know that I have reported you for inappropriate posting. Writing "great to see" every single post you make, regardless of the post you are replying to, is obviously a very feeble attempt to up your post count.

jivete
December 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Like Mellie, I don't shed nearly as much since I quit using SLS shampoo. In fact, I barely notice any shedding anymore, except during my period.

I don't use soapnuts, but there's hardly any hair in the shower drain anymore. I used to have to clean it out every time I took a shower.

mellie
December 31st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Yes, sulfates were very bad for me for shedding! Also chemical color was terrible for it too!

Darkhorse1
December 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Tabitha--I reported said troll as well. Honestly, some people need to get out more :D

Remember, we shed up to 100 hairs a day. That's the normal cycle of hair life. To shed no hair is not necessarily a good thing for your head. I always remember going through a huge shed at some point, once a year. Sometimes I didn't shed at all, some times I did--really depended on many variables.

In order to see thinning/balding, you need to lose 50% of your total amount of hair. So, figure you have 200,000 hairs on your head, you'd have to shed 100,000. That's a LOT of hair.

Ugh. The hair in the drain. I swear, it makes me gag every time....

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Since I've been using soapnuts for shampoo, my shedding has stopped! It is so awesome! I used to find hair everywhere - clogging the drain, all over my clothes, chairs, the car, etc...DH would complain about it. Now I don't shed at all!! It's really nice!

I got to try your soapnuts technique, Mellie..we sell soapnuts at our store for cloth diapers and I got samples of their tea and I thought..wow, this would make a nice shampoo..since it suds in the wash and such a simple soap...( I did like the way it cleaned the dipes ) but, when I used the tea in the shower, it really does not lather at all for me...I saw your neat recipe and wonder if it suds some? I too, get alarmed when I feel like I am shedding non-stop..I do think that those with longer hair appear to be shedding more once it is in a ball. I think what I am doing now is just try not to pay attention to it as much since it appears to be of normal shed amounts...but I did read on a thread here where some of posters shed just a few hairs a day...that's when I got worried:confused:
I did do a lot of reading on soapnuts and its benefits and I remember reading that it has been used for hairloss treatment...I have to make sure I am right on that..but I thought I read that! Anyways...many thanks for that technique :)

mellie
December 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Katiana! Yes, my recipe makes a nice foam when you shake it up and it makes it easy to wash with! In India it is traditionally used for shedding, too! Just click on my siggy link for my tips. That's cool that you've been using them already for laundry! I also wash dishes with mine too!

BTW, your hair is lovely!

jojo
December 31st, 2008, 12:51 PM
I used my soapnuts and have to say although my hair is still damp its incredibly shiny and for some strange reason my hair is more wavy. Is this something anybody else has noticed?

A 10 out of 10 for me!

Plus I washed my nurses uniforms in them today too, these are blue with white trim which had gone a bit blah because the blue had run slightly into the whites now the white trims are WHITE! wow!

And another plus not one hair was shed during rinsing either!

Elenna
December 31st, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have been shedding more than normal lately. I found that stopping shampooing with sodium lauryl sulfate (etc) has helped. I'm alternating between soapnuts and shampoo bars but still trying out various cleaners like Kiss My Face hand soap; I kid you not.

LaurelSpring
December 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Mellie,

Where do you buy the soapnuts?

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi Katiana! Yes, my recipe makes a nice foam when you shake it up and it makes it easy to wash with! In India it is traditionally used for shedding, too! Just click on my siggy link for my tips. That's cool that you've been using them already for laundry! I also wash dishes with mine too!

BTW, your hair is lovely!

Many thanks Millie! I will try again! Thanks for the compliment, your hair too is so very pretty!

katiana
December 31st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Mellie,

Where do you buy the soapnuts?

We used a brand called Maggies Soap Nuts..they actually have a liquid version just out ( I think they are the only ones that make the liquid version now ) But there are many companies that sell them now..and you can make your own "tea" like Millie noted in her technique. The Maggie Soap Nut version has some essential oils inside and makes everything smell great!

Yes, you can use the soapnuts on clothes, in Indian, it was used traditionally for also washing clothes...but, I did recently ask a friend of ours, a couple from India about the soapnuts and she looked at me like I was crazy:eyebrows:..she was like, "we just use regular detergent"! Hee,hee..well, I told her to come into my store to try them for herself! They work great on cloth diapers and clothes and people with allergies because it does not leave any residues..it is just soap nut ( it really is not a nut, but more of a fruit) so a very simple product, but does a great job:)

Beloved
December 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Okay, I really need to try soapnuts! People are having such good results with them.

neon-dream
December 31st, 2008, 02:08 PM
I seem to shed loads, and all the time, and my hair is still really thick so I don't see it as a problem to my hair, just to the hoover :P!
I wouldn't worry about it!

mellie
December 31st, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, Jojo, I definitely have more body and waves from the soapnuts! I am so glad you like them!! :-) I love this:

And another plus not one hair was shed during rinsing either! Isn't that awesome? I have that too, I love it!!!

P.S. LaurelSpring, I ordered mine from Amazon.com, but you might be able to find them locally at your local health food store in the laundry aisle, or at an Indian grocery store too!

Speckla
December 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
My hair is a lot thicker than it was last year. I had a lot of scalp showing where I was having major hair loss. It's just normal shed - I shed a lot more than most people according to my hairdresser but it's still normal for me.
________
BUY EASY VAPE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

Beloved
December 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm looking at the small box, for $9.99. http://www.maggiespureland.com/shop.html

Do you think that will be enough to try out for a month or so?

Speckla
December 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm looking at the small box, for $9.99. http://www.maggiespureland.com/shop.html

Do you think that will be enough to try out for a month or so?

Is nutsoap exactly what the name implies? It would have to be very full of protein if so.
________
Bmw Sauber F1.06 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Sauber_F1.06)

Beloved
December 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
From the website: Soap NutsTM are the dried fruit of the Chinese Soapberry tree.
They contain saponin, a natural cleaner used for thousands of
years to clean clothes, just like the plants used by Native Americans
for washing.

Not sure about the protein content. However, I'd shampoo with clarified monkey pee if it would make me shed less.

girlcat36
December 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I just ordered a sample pack.

Speckla
December 31st, 2008, 06:41 PM
From the website: Soap NutsTM are the dried fruit of the Chinese Soapberry tree.
for washing.

Not sure about the protein content. However, I'd shampoo with clarified monkey pee if it would make me shed less.

Not if I got to it first.
________
Vapor genie vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Beloved
December 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM
:D

I see how you roll.

Speckla
December 31st, 2008, 06:53 PM
:D

I see how you roll.

I don't roll...I curl. :cheese:
________
Amc machine specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_Machine)

eaglefeather71
December 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
I found Soapnuts at Mountain Rose Herbs (http://www.mountainroseherbs.com). I don't know if they are a good price...?? I'm seriously considering purchasing some!

mellie
January 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Sorry for the hijack!!!

Don't get the Mountain Rose Herbs ones - I didn't like them at all. I think they are the Sapindus trifoliatus which are smaller and not as good as Sapindus mukorossi (even though they say they are mukorossi). Argh...

Soapnuts are a fruit, not a nut, so I doubt they have much protein. I have been using them exclusively for months and it's been wonderful!!

With my recipe, I use approx. 22 nuts (1 cup) to make 7 shampoos' worth. The nuts can be reused (if your hair isn't greasy) one more time, but since my hair is naturally so greasy, I need a pretty strong shampoo, so I reuse them to make dish soap. So, depending on how often you wash, that gives you some idea how long 22 nuts would last.

I think that small box of Maggie's is rather high priced - if you try some Indian stores, a similar amount is around $2.99.

Try to find them locally if you can, I'm surprised how many places are carrying them now - to save on shipping costs!

ETA: Please read my siggy link - you may want to avoid soapnuts if you are pregnant.

eaglefeather71
January 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the warning. I just wish I could find some locally.

Beloved
January 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Btw, guys, Maggie's Pureland charges really high shipping. I just realized this as I was about to buy from her. If you are going to buy something bigger than the sample size, you get a better price through Amazon. Amazon sells maggie's pureland products but with cheaper shipping.

eaglefeather71
January 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Btw, guys, Maggie's Pureland charges really high shipping. I just realized this as I was about to buy from her. If you are going to buy something bigger than the sample size, you get a better price through Amazon. Amazon sells maggie's pureland products but with cheaper shipping. Good to know. I just ordered the sample from her. If I like them, I'll definetly use Amazon. I have noticed though that Amazon has pretty steep shipping too. I had some Hesh products in my shopping cart and the shipping cost almost as much as the products. I haven't ordered them yet because of that. I'll check other suppliers first.

jastark84
January 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
I shed a small animal every time I comb my hair. I have curly hair so I never brush it but when I'm in th eshower or combing it out to oil it.....man. I think I could make clothes for barbies with how much I shed. I've nver noticed any reduced thickness, in fact my mom mentioned that I should probably get it thinned out at dinner last night.lol

Celticfreefall
January 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm really tempted to try the soapnuts. Though, I can never tell if how much I'm shedding is normal or not. I always shed, but, it does increase from time to time for seemingly no reason or if I'm taking a LOT of antibiotics (I have health issues so this is often). I don't think my hair is thinning, and I don't think I have any bald spots, but I do have two areas on the front of my scalp where the hair pushes in which has increased somewhat. I've always had them, but, the hair IS really thin there. You can see in this picture (http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii175/cabbitt711/LHC/Picture009.jpg) how they push into the start my braids. Are those balding spots due to shedding or otherwise? If they are, what do I do?!

Tressie
January 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
for washing.

Hummm, Okay, so where do we get the uh....monkey pee, and how do we clarify THAT???

Just kidding, sleep deprivation.............LOL! Your post made me SMILE! I am shedding heavily too, and 100% understand.

mellie
January 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Celticfreefall, your hair looks fine to me! I think that's just your natural hairline!

Speckla
January 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hummm, Okay, so where do we get the uh....monkey pee, and how do we clarify THAT???

Just kidding, sleep deprivation.............LOL! Your post made me SMILE! I am shedding heavily too, and 100% understand.

You don't know where monkey pee comes from? :eyebrows:
________
Park Lane (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Park_Lane)

auburnlocks
January 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
You’re in your early twenties, yes? You will probably notice some change in your hair between twenty and thirty, especially if you have children. When I look at pictures of myself ten or fifteen years ago my hair line looked a little different. But my hair isn’t thin my any definition, and I’ve heard all my friends say the same about their hair too.

Do you take supplements? That can help with all around health too. I hate antibiotics, but sometimes they do become a necessary evil.

Smiles. :D

LaurelSpring
January 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I ordered the sample. I was doing well as far as the shedding but I broke down and went to the Dr. last week because of this never ending cold and got on antiobiotics. The shedding started up yesterday darn it.

Kirin
January 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Once again I know my experiences are....... well, unusual LOL. However if it helps anyone I'll spout it off!

Since I joined a year ago, and started using some more natural techniques on my hair, I have to say, my shed went from a quarter sized dollop of hair, to fistfulls..... I mean everywhere all over the shower and clogging the drain daily. I tried not to fret too much about it, but a year of slowly progressing shed to this amount was just crazy.

I went back to regular ol' shampoo and conditioner, the shed cut down, considerably, but was still there.

Ditched conditioner all together, shed went down more.

Tried Pantene 2in1.... been using it about a week now, daily, and shed maybe three hairs a day in the shower?? Crazy, I know, but even during the day, I don't have hairs dropping out all over my clothes and chairs.

Why this is working I have no idea, as for the past year I kicked out SLS shampoos, cones and all the "bad" stuff. I'm guessing my hair likes the bad stuff!

kam984420
January 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Why this is working I have no idea, as for the past year I kicked out SLS shampoos, cones and all the "bad" stuff. I'm guessing my hair likes the bad stuff!

What ever works!!!! Happy Growing!!!!

Celticfreefall
January 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Celticfreefall, your hair looks fine to me! I think that's just your natural hairline!

Thanks, I guess I'm just paranoid, lol.

Casarela
January 3rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
I know for a fact taking garlic pills or simply crushing garlic and applying to scalp (rise it off) will definetly help with the shedding. It is a common practice done by my relatives in Morocco .

I'm like that right now...I'm shedding a ton, and I don't know how I'm not getting bald spots.

If I were to take hair vitamins, do you think that would help my shedding?

katiana
January 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Mellie,
I got to ask you, what is the lemon juice for in the recipe? I just made the "tea" and now I want to give this a try..I noticed you added pics and this makes a lot more sense to me now because when I tried it on as a liquid before, it does not lather well and really just did not do much..but I see if you make a foam that it will stay on top of your head better so you have some lather..I am excited to give this another go!