PDA

View Full Version : I found some massage oil - is this hair friendly?

Thumper
December 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I don't have the bottle with me, but I will try to get to it and post the ingredients. I was rummaging around in my closet last night and came across a bottle of massage oil, which I've actually never used (I think it was a gift years ago). Anyways, it has alot of nice oils in it. But, it is also that type of oil that warms on contact. I tried a little on my ends, which seemed to go over well. I'm just wondering if that ingredient that warms on contact can hurt my hair? I'm also curious if that would be a good scalp treatment? I think it's supposed to stimulate blood flow.

I'll try to get back online tonight and post the ingredients.

Tapioca
December 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I would be leery if it had any mineral oil in it. I tried that once, many many years ago, and it took several shampooing with a clarifying shampoo to get it out. But if they're plant-based oils (jojoba, coconut, olive, macadamia, etc.) I'd say go for it.

chrissy-b
December 30th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The only thing I would be leery of is how old the oil is (assuming that the oils are hair friendly to begin with). I'm a bit sensitive to rancid oils (and this may be all in my head) and many don't have that long of a shelf life. I don't think it would be bad to use on your ends, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a scalp massage if the oils are expired.

Thumper
December 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
OK I can barely read the fine print but here goes;

Coconut oil, cyclomethicone, hybrid saflower seed oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, fragrance, kukui nut oil, mango seed oil, tocopheryl acetate, tocopherol.

Good lord I hope all that straining my eyes to read that wasn't in vain! Can anyone tell me if these ingredients all check out as being safe???

Thanks!

Ursula
December 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Well, cyclomethicone is a silicone - something that is used in hair products as well as skin products. Some folks here have good luck using silicones on their hair, while others do better avoiding them. It depends on your hair.

And "fragrence" is an unknown. It could be fragrent oils, or it could be an alcohol based fragrence. There is no way to know for sure.

This probably isn't horrible for your hair, if your hair does well with silicones. You'll probably need a sulfate shampoo to remove it, because of the 'cone.

HairColoredHair
December 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Cyclomethicone is a 'cone, but I think it's not supposed to cause much build up... Beyond that... I don't see anything more... 'course, you never know what was used as 'fragrance'.

~GypsyCurls~
December 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I say that if you used it on your ends and it seemed fine, go for it! Just add a little at a time though and see how your hair reacts before doing any heavy oilings. I've used massage oils in my hair, but make sure they don't have any ingredients besides carrier/essential oils and fragrance. Does your hair normally 'like' cones? What brand is the oil?

BTW, I love your siggy pic. Kate Beckinsale had some gorgeous outfits in that movie! :)

Thumper
December 31st, 2008, 06:21 AM
I say that if you used it on your ends and it seemed fine, go for it! Just add a little at a time though and see how your hair reacts before doing any heavy oilings. I've used massage oils in my hair, but make sure they don't have any ingredients besides carrier/essential oils and fragrance. Does your hair normally 'like' cones? What brand is the oil?

BTW, I love your siggy pic. Kate Beckinsale had some gorgeous outfits in that movie! :)

The product is The Body Shop...and at this moment don't have it in front of me so i don't remember the name of the line? It was something "spa".

Signature pic; that is why I posted that photo, for that very blouse! I looked it up online and actually found a place that makes them and it was all sold out! To bad, I would love to have one for myself!

xeternalsilence
January 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
I once used an oil mix that contained all plant-based oils, but also an unspecified fragrance and it was horrible. It took forever to get it out and my hair really didn't look all that great afterward. I'm not sure if it was whatever was used as 'fragrance' or not, but it's a possibility since all of the other ingredients were natural and definitely hair-friendly (I know it contained jojoba oil, coconut oil, and a few others that I read about constantly)

I don't remember the name of it off of the top of my head though. I don't have it anymore... But I'd be cautious of things with 'fragrance' as an ingredient.

But hey, maybe my hair's just weird and it had nothing to do with the oil at all...

~GypsyCurls~
January 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thumper, I have tried products from TBS (oils) that were good for my hair. I'm not sure which one you have but is it the Monoi oil? That was good as a treatment for my hair...I either used it as a hot oil treat and as a leave-in.