PDA

View Full Version : New plopping method

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Well I found a new method of plopping and totally by accident. I have one of the maverickwear sleep caps in the Lucy style which has an area in the back esp for people with long hair, so it’s not the typical sleep cap style. Anyway I had applied a bit of the Mega Tek on my hair because it gives me great thickness and my hair was still damp, but I was so tired so I decided to just do it even with damp hair. So I put my hair on the top of my head and once the cap was on shook my head a bit to get it down into the cap like always and slept like I usually do. Anyway I woke up this morning to the most beautiful waves I have ever had!!!!!!. They were stretched out but more spiral like at the ends. I have been mourning my lost of waves; so this has made me EXTREMELY HAPPY. I guess this is just like plopping but without any work really. I thought id share just in case this may work for typical sleep caps as well. I would love to hear if this works as well for normal sleep caps, so please chime in :D

Curlsgirl
December 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Ooooooooooooo :cheese: Is the Lucy cap comfortable? I was looking at those the other day. Do you have the link handy? I just might try one!

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Ooooooooooooo :cheese: Is the Lucy cap comfortable? I was looking at those the other day. Do you have the link handy? I just might try one!

Omg the caps are amazing!! It has a tie in the back so you can adjust it and it doesn't slip off my head at all. here is the link but keep in mind they are out of that print. I have the burgandy solid colored one.http://www.maverickwear.com

AutumnLeaves
December 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I can't imagine sleeping with a cap on my head at all, though I do remember sleeping with the old t-shirt on my head when I tried plopping. So I guess I CAN sleep with something on my head! LOL I like the looks of that Lucy cap. I wonder if it will slide about if you sleep on it? I also wonder if my hair would be dry in the morning? I would guess my hair would have to be a bit longer than it is for the plopping part to work though. I can't wait!!!!

Siava
December 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Very cool! I've been meaning to plop while sleeping to see if it's feasible. Don't know why I didn't think of a cap. Duh. Thanks!

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I can't imagine sleeping with a cap on my head at all, though I do remember sleeping with the old t-shirt on my head when I tried plopping. So I guess I CAN sleep with something on my head! LOL I like the looks of that Lucy cap. I wonder if it will slide about if you sleep on it? I also wonder if my hair would be dry in the morning? I would guess my hair would have to be a bit longer than it is for the plopping part to work though. I can't wait!!!!

No, the cap doesn't slide around and yes my hair was totally dry by morning :)

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Does it make your head sweaty?

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Does it make your head sweaty?

Nope not at all. The fabric is very light and airy and satin on the inside.

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Ok, I think Im enabled. I tried one of those cheap black ones and wasnt thrilled. I like the idea that I can just plop my hair in it and go to bed.

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ok, I think Im enabled. I tried one of those cheap black ones and wasnt thrilled. I like the idea that I can just plop my hair in it and go to bed.

I like this to and the fact is has an adjustable tie. The front is elastic (covered with cloth of course) so I just tie it and leave it tied and then stretch the front over my head. I should buy another one of these to keep on hand just in case I loose this one or something..LOL

MandaMom2Three
December 30th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I got a silk cover from the pharmacy and it said it was made with microban. They didn't have one without so I bought it but I reacted anywhere it touched my skin :( . I might try one of these as I really want to keep my hair covered at night!

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I got a silk cover from the pharmacy and it said it was made with microban. They didn't have one without so I bought it but I reacted anywhere it touched my skin :( . I might try one of these as I really want to keep my hair covered at night!

Apparently you were allergic to the fabric. You can always email them to verify the materials they use. I also think you can get 100% silk ones. Keep in mind 100% silk isn't very silky feeling though..lol

venividibxtchy
December 30th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Where do you see a list of their colors? Am I missing it?

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Where do you see a list of their colors? Am I missing it?

I don't remember seeing an option for colors. I just thought it was the purple paisley and that was it. They sent me an email with the color options. You could always email them first.

Tapioca
December 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Now for the important question. Will it leave a funky indentation or red spot on my forehead where the elastic was?

lora410
December 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Now for the important question. Will it leave a funky indentation or red spot on my forehead where the elastic was?

Nope :) I think because you can adjust it it wont be really tight plus the elastic is covered with fabric

lapushka
December 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I read about an alternative way of plopping too, on NC where you use the t-shirt in a different way:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=41091

LaurelSpring
January 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I got a color option in an email after I put in my order and I responded with my choice. I had left a message earlier in the week and got a call from Michelle from MavericWear this afternoon. After talking to her I decided to change my order to a silk little Lucy instead of the classic. She said that it should hold fine waist length hair ok and I wanted the breathability of silk. She also said that there was a guarantee so if there are any problems or I wasnt satisfied I could return it. She was very nice and helpful!

goldenwaves
January 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Ooooh very clever!!

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
wow!! lora...your hair is soo pretty. im really happy that you dont have the desire to cut it, but to grow it longer. waist length would do you well.

Curlsgirl
January 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Omg the caps are amazing!! It has a tie in the back so you can adjust it and it doesn't slip off my head at all. here is the link but keep in mind they are out of that print. I have the burgandy solid colored one.http://www.maverickwear.com

Thank you!!!

LaurelSpring
January 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I got my silk Lil Lucy in the mail on Saturday. I tried plopping with it that night and I love it! It was the perfect size for me and the silk didnt make my head sweaty. It stayed really well and I have beautiful curls and waves the next day. the color is pretty also.
:cheese:

Curlsgirl
January 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I got my silk Lil Lucy in the mail on Saturday. I tried plopping with it that night and I love it! It was the perfect size for me and the silk didnt make my head sweaty. It stayed really well and I have beautiful curls and waves the next day. the color is pretty also.

Oh great! I wish they had a silk regular Lucy. They don't do they?

sandigirl
January 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM
That looks so interesting. I LOVE your pictures! Your hair looks awesome.

LaurelSpring
January 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Unfortunately no :( I asked and took a chance on the little one. Since my hair is fine and not too long yet its working pretty well for me. I imagine that it should be ok for a good long while to at least waist or hip. (that should be a couple of years!) If it were alot longer or thicker it would be too small.

I wonder if they would special make one?

lora410
January 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM

I almost wish I got the smaller lucy. The regular is large. Not on the head but fabric wise in the back. i plan to attatch two small ties and tie back a little of the slack..lol

lora410
January 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM

woohooo. I love the amazing waves I get :D it almost looks like it curls at my ends ;which is so pretty.

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Oooooo... Even I might give that a go and I usually hate the idea of a sleeping cap! Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I always go to be with damp hair, so it won't involve a change of routine.

Thanks for posting!

Loviatar
January 14th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I have a wool crochet hat in this shape and I get great waves from plopping wet or damp hair in it, just for the hour it takes me to get to work, too. :)

I don't have a sleep cap though.

Curlsgirl
January 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately no :( I asked and took a chance on the little one. Since my hair is fine and not too long yet its working pretty well for me. I imagine that it should be ok for a good long while to at least waist or hip. (that should be a couple of years!) If it were alot longer or thicker it would be too small.

I wonder if they would special make one?

I would rather have the silk. I just emailed them to ask if they could do the regular size Lucy in silk. Never hurts! I'll post back here if I hear back from them.

Fairlight63
January 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I also just ordered the Lil Lucy. I have fine thin hair so I am hoping that it will fit OK.
I was wondering how long does it take to receive it?

You guys are such enablers!

pariate
January 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I read about an alternative way of plopping too, on NC where you use the t-shirt in a different way:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=41091

I read this today and finally found a use for my b*$£%rd face ex-boyfriend's T-shirts :evil: Finally, he can be useful :D

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I also just ordered the Lil Lucy. I have fine thin hair so I am hoping that it will fit OK.
I was wondering how long does it take to receive it?

You guys are such enablers!

It didnt take long. Maybe a week.

Curlsgirl
January 16th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I would rather have the silk. I just emailed them to ask if they could do the regular size Lucy in silk. Never hurts! I'll post back here if I hear back from them.

Fast response, here ya go!!!

Thank you for your interest in Maverick Wear Fine Satin Sleep Caps. The reasoning for not offering the Classic Lucy in silk at this time is because silk is a more delicate, lighter fabric. The larger the style of the cap, the more hair it will hold, and with heavier hair, we decided the polyester was a stronger fiber and will withstand more pressure from heavier hair.
The polyester used is a charmuse satin weave, similar to blouse fabric. Very nice.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Michele

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
That's what I call customer service Curls Girl :wink:

I'm washing my hair tonight, must not for get to try this :)

Curlsgirl
January 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
That's what I call customer service Curls Girl :wink:

I'm washing my hair tonight, must not for get to try this :)

I'm definitely ordering one now! Let me know how it works for you okay?

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I'm going to try the t-shirt method outlined in the link earlier in the thread. It's a post on the Naturally Curly site. I have a big old t-shirt I can use. Have already spent too much money this month :laugh:

Curlsgirl
January 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'm going to try the t-shirt method outlined in the link earlier in the thread. It's a post on the Naturally Curly site. I have a big old t-shirt I can use. Have already spent too much money this month :laugh:

I tried that several weeks ago and it made my hair frizzy. :( I left it up about 30 minutes and wrapped it just like it said.

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oh no! :hmm: Well, I know things have different results for different people, but I might put that experiment on hold! I've got enough to deal with, I don't want to have a bad hair day on top of everything else :redgrin:

missy60
January 16th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I get better results with plopping for about 10 mins or so, anything longer and I get frizz also.

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Noted. Maybe there is a general time restriction on plopping then, depending on the products you use on your hair?

Curlsgirl
January 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Noted. Maybe there is a general time restriction on plopping then, depending on the products you use on your hair?

I have tried shorter times but with a Microfiber towel thinking that might have caused the frizz. I also have a curl ease towel I have tried for shorter times. I don't think my hair likes plopping. I have little frizz without it. :shrug:

I am going to get a Lucy cap though. I think it would be different just "containing" the curls as opposed to "plopping".

missy60
January 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I actually think the microfiber could cause frizz if left on for longer times. It could be sucking all the moisture out of your hair. I used a microfiber towel also to plop with so it might be something to think about. I also got funky kinks in the front of my hair if I plopped for to long, which was one of the main reasons for not plopping. I already had a problem with the front not curling right any way. I finally figured out that twisting the non curling areas and leaving to dry like that helped more then anything.

I havent had any problems with the front hair in a while now. It is longer now so I think that has helped. I also plopped with my hair on top of my head, but the cap wouldnt do it that way so it might work better for longer plopping.