PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs' effect on hair?

Roseate
December 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
So, I just got back from a visit to a beautiful natural hot spring. :cloud9:The water was about 105F, and very soft and sulfur-y. It was lovely, and I let my hair get wet in the water- I've only heard good things about sulfur on hair, so I didn't worry. My hair feels awfully dry and strawlike now, though.

Has anyone here ever had bad effects from hot mineral spring water on your hair? Any thoughts on how to clear it up? I'm planning on doing a heavy coconut oiling tonight and a SMT tomorrow, hopefully that will do the trick.

Sissy
December 29th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I don't know anything about it but the idea of going to a hot spring sounds fantastic... I hope I get to go to one someday! I agree with you that it seems like something that would be good for the hair.

Cinnamon Hair
December 29th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Here are some similar threads asking about the effect of hot springs on hair.

Anyone dip their locks in a hot spring? (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18409)

Thermal baths/spa +hair (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40805)

Looks like there are mixed reviews, depending on what sort of minerals are in the water and the water temperature.

LutraLutra
December 30th, 2008, 03:35 AM
My hair was pixie lengh when I last went to a hot spring. The water really helped my skin, but my hair felt horrible - really dry. I'd say try and get as much moisture back into it, I guess hot springs are just one of those things that is good for some people and not for others.

mellie
December 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM
It was great for me, my skin and hair were amazing afterward! Of course, it depends on the chemical makeup of the water. Where I went was the Bonneville Hot Springs in WA, I don't think there is much sulfur in the water there.

Tressie
December 30th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I don't know as I've never had the pleasure of a hot spring soak, but it sounds to me like you are on the right track with the oiling and the SMT. Let us know how this works out for you and the best of luck!! (o:

btw: That sounds like an awesome experience! Lucky you!!

chrissy-b
December 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I've been to a bunch of hot springs in the US (in about 10 different states) and all of them have left my hair feeling really good. They are a bit tangly afterward, but once dry, my hair has been very soft and felt great.

Roseate
December 30th, 2008, 11:32 PM
The oiling and conditioning really did the trick!

The heat and minerals made my hair really thirsty, though- it absorbed all the coconut oil overnight, when normally there is plenty left to wash out. But now it seems to be better than normal, I guess I fed it in time!

Mmm, hot springs. No harm done.