PDA

View Full Version : Problem with tangled hair

ursusem
December 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone,

My hair is classic length. I really like it- it is very shiny. Ever since 2005 my hair has felt very nice... However lately it hasn't so much. I used to be a lot stricter with my hair care routines but lately I wanted to see if I could be more laid back about it. When I am out working I always keep my hair in this "spiral bun." I basically twist all of my length and twist it up into a coiled bun on the top of my head- I secure it with a silk satin scrunchy. Works nicely.

I had perms every now and then throughout my childhood (and I wanted very extremely long hair ever since I was very young- which is why I would only get occasional trims), I have always just kept the permed hair on me- because I wanted my hair to be long (I also didn't realize that perms were bad). The last perm I had was in the spring of 2005. One day in August of that year somehow I came across longlocks.com where there was a "How to Grow Super Long Hair" tutorial on that website by a woman who had managed to do it, and I followed the tutorial word for word religiously in my own life. RIGHT AFTER I changed my lifestyle in the way she wrote that I should in the tutorial, my hair was the most amazingly beautiful and healthy and longer than it had ever been before.

I currently do not have a whole lot of splits... but my hair seems to be very tangled and matted. I am afraid that I will wreck my hair if I put a comb to it. But it takes me HOURS to separate each of my strands from all of the other strands. (In other words, I can't comb my hair out-- I worry it may get more and more matted-- it takes all night for me separate my hair out- daily!!)

Help!

RocketDog
December 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
have you tried using a water-safe comb to detangle your hair in the shower, maybe while it's soaking in conditioner? I have very tangle-prone hair and that's the quickest way for me to work out a bad snarl. Good luck!

HairColoredHair
December 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I'd suggest soaking your hair in conditioner, combing it gently through as long as you can bear to work at it.

Small steps result in a long journey after all. It may take a couple tries, but once it's thoroughly detangled you ought to be able to keep it reasonably tangle-free (depending on your type) with once a day (or couple days, perhaps) combing/fingercombing. :)

ursusem
December 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I thought it was bad to comb your hair in the shower. Isn't that when the hair is weakest?

HairColoredHair
December 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I thought it was bad to comb your hair in the shower. Isn't that when the hair is weakest?

Yes, however, the conditioner is meant to add enough slip to both open up the tangles and keep the comb from catching in the hair.

Many curlies employ this as their regular combing method (in shower with conditioner) from what I've seen. :)

ursusem
December 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I am not curly- mainly straight

Cinnamon Hair
December 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
It sounds like you need to soak your hair in a super slippery cone filled conditioner then try detangling very slowly with a seamless comb. Cowboy Magic (http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/cowmagdetand.html) is said to do wonders for tangles that are near impossible to remove. Yes, it is for horses but humans can use it too :) I would recommend getting that then starting a major detangling session. If you can't find Cowboy Magic or buy it online, L'Oreal Mega Moisture conditioner (yellow tub) from Sally's Beauty Supply is also very slippery and cone filled. Or try Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner (available at Walmart and most drug stores) even.
One of those should do the trick.

After the initial detangling session is done you might want to try using a protein treatment on your hair, since it is permed. Perms cause damage to the hair shaft, especially on longer hair which is weaker due to the age of your ends. You may find that you'll need to cut off the permed hair over time, until you are back to the undamaged portion of your hair.

ursusem
December 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Now why is it that most people don't like cones?

Bene
December 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM

welcome to the the great cone debate (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)

:D

jojo
December 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I always find combing in the shower = less tangles especially so if its a cold water rinse

spidermom
December 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
The thing you want to avoid is stretching wet hair. When I comb in the shower with my hair full of conditioner, I am very careful about it and avoid pulling and stretching. It can take a long time, however.

Since you've had perms, I would guess that the cuticle has been damaged and thus are sticking together like Velcro. I had to cut away 6 inches in 2005 because of Velcro ends, although mine was from heat damage rather than chemical damage. If your hair has become more of a chore than a pleasure, I can wholeheartedly recommend cutting away the bad ends. My hair was such a pleasure to deal with after that. Although I missed the length (from nearly waist to armpit length), the ease of caring for it more than made up for less length.

I also find that more length requires more time to comb out. Cones are great for adding slip in my opinion; I have no qualms at all about using a coney product.

ChatoyantLocks
December 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
People have been giving you good instructions for getting out bad tangles. I had a run in with tangles recently and it isn't any fun! In my case I forgot to use coconut oil before I put my hair in a kind of fabric rag curl that causes deep waves. I couldn't get it to comb afterwards. I soaked my head with cool water and used a lot of coconut oil and carefully worked out the tangles.

Here are a couple of tricks for preventing tangles from forming again, once you've gotten them out: After washing your hair try using a small amount of coconut oil on it, particularly towards the ends. The other thing that helps a lot is braids. They help keep hair from tangling, you can sleep in them, and they put a nice wave in your hair when you undo them. Also, there are several styles you can do to put your hair "up", that start with braids, so you can change your look in just a few minutes without having to re-comb everything.

Mely
December 31st, 2008, 07:02 PM
A tangle teezer brush might help you get the tangles out. Here is a thread about it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11943

Speckla
December 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM

Different hair types react differently to 'cones. And a 'cone isn't a 'cone isn't a 'cone. Some are water-soluble and much friendlier to curl haired folks - those are the only 'cones I'll use.
________
Honda Lock S.C. History (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Lock_S.C.)

spidermom
December 31st, 2008, 07:24 PM
The other thing that helps a lot is braids. They help keep hair from tangling,

I wish that were true for me. My original thought about long hair was that I would wear my hair braided most of the time. Unfortunately, a lot of hairs work themselves free all along my braid, and they tangle. Removing a braid can be a nightmare.

jojo
January 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Im the same with lots of braids, i end up with birds nest hair!

I think the best thing for tangly hair is cones, I use which ever I have in. I do find cones although tend to give my hair less body but no tangles and the opposite is true with coneless.

JamieLeigh
January 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
The thing that has worked wonders for me has been going CO twice a week, and using leave-in treatments. It has virtually eliminated my tangles, even from sleeping with it loose. Of course, my hair is somewhat finer and is only loosely wavy...so I probably should not have even replied. LOL. :p

Sissy
January 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
Giovanni Direct Leave In has helped with tangles. I use it as soon as I get out of the shower and comb it through my hair.

I think that horse product Cowboy Magic sounds incredible!

plainjanegirl
January 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Hi everyone,

My hair is classic length. I really like it- it is very shiny. Ever since 2005 my hair has felt very nice... However lately it hasn't so much. I used to be a lot stricter with my hair care routines but lately I wanted to see if I could be more laid back about it. When I am out working I always keep my hair in this "spiral bun." I basically twist all of my length and twist it up into a coiled bun on the top of my head- I secure it with a silk satin scrunchy. Works nicely.

I had perms every now and then throughout my childhood (and I wanted very extremely long hair ever since I was very young- which is why I would only get occasional trims), I have always just kept the permed hair on me- because I wanted my hair to be long (I also didn't realize that perms were bad). The last perm I had was in the spring of 2005. One day in August of that year somehow I came across longlocks.com where there was a "How to Grow Super Long Hair" tutorial on that website by a woman who had managed to do it, and I followed the tutorial word for word religiously in my own life. RIGHT AFTER I changed my lifestyle in the way she wrote that I should in the tutorial, my hair was the most amazingly beautiful and healthy and longer than it had ever been before.

I currently do not have a whole lot of splits... but my hair seems to be very tangled and matted. I am afraid that I will wreck my hair if I put a comb to it. But it takes me HOURS to separate each of my strands from all of the other strands. (In other words, I can't comb my hair out-- I worry it may get more and more matted-- it takes all night for me separate my hair out- daily!!)

Help!

I am interested in what all the tutorial told you to do. My hair is waist length but not as thick as it used to be. So I am trying to gain length and thickness.

nicolezoie
January 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
I wish that were true for me. My original thought about long hair was that I would wear my hair braided most of the time. Unfortunately, a lot of hairs work themselves free all along my braid, and they tangle. Removing a braid can be a nightmare.

That's my experience. I get more friction tangles from the hairs that work their way out of braids, and I spend more time overall detangling after a braid because of it. I rarely let my braid hang down because of it. It's usually bunned or wrapped around my head.

Arctic
January 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
I am interested in what all the tutorial told you to do. My hair is waist length but not as thick as it used to be. So I am trying to gain length and thickness.

Here (http://www.longlocks.com/how-to-grow-long-hair.htm) you go!