PDA

View Full Version : Planning on trimming. Opinions?

Oberon88
December 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I've been thinking seriously about trimming about 2 inches (See my signature).
I want to even up my hemline, and I suppose make everything healthier. The layers were meant for a much much much shorter hairstyle.
I know I will lament the loss of my length! It would probably put me right back around waist.
I know it's my choice and my hair, but I was hoping to get some feedback from everyone.
My last trim was in April 2008, and I was hoping to make it a year without trimming, but I think for the overall health of my hair I should get a trim soon.
What do you think?

Cinnamon Hair
December 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
My last trim was in April 2008, and I was hoping to make it a year without trimming, but I think for the overall health of my hair I should get a trim soon.
What do you think?

I think you have a great v-shape hemline going on and I wouldn't change a thing! Cutting 2 inches won't improve the health of your hair unless the ends are damaged. It will put you 2" closer to being layer free, which is your goal. But you also mentioned that you wanted to go a year without trimming. That is a worthy goal as well, so I vote not to trim. If you are the type who likes to trim often, until your hair is perfect, then gaining length could take a long time. So I recommend waiting until the 1 year mark, then reevaluating how much needs to be trimmed. It's better to set a date and stick with it than to get carried away with trimming more often than necessary.

eyesofsummer
December 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
If the hair at the end isn't split or damaged so that it is tangle-causing, I'd leave it! I agree with Cinnamon Hair, the v-shape looks great! Hold out until April :)

kam984420
December 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
My vote is for leaving it till April. No need to trim if you don't have to. No need to lose the length if its not necessary.

viking_quest
December 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I think you should wait until April as well. Your hemline looks very nice as it is now.

Bene
December 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
your ends look good. any trimming would serve to work on the layering. my vote is for leaving it til april.

Airmide
December 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I think your hair looks gorgeous as is! Unless your ends are complete velcro I'd leave them alone, and you can always change your mind.

blackice
December 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
They look good to me

Sissy
December 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think your hair looks very nice... it's more even than mine! I think you could definitely go without a trim for a bit longer. However, I could not see your ends up close, and like others said... if they are split and causing further damage by tangling then best to get rid of them.

OhioLisa
December 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Another vote for no trimming. I think your hemline looks fab.

Oberon88
December 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your replies and compliments everyone!
My ends are pretty healthy, I neglected to mention that I am receiving huge pressure to cut... which I should ignore.

30isthenewblack
December 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Only our opinions matter ... j/k! I love your hemline and I vote for no trimming as well.

talecon
December 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
one more for no trimming. I love the v-shape. Imagine it longer with that shape - beautiful

Bene
December 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
ignore the outside pressure... only we know how much hair matters!!!

Teazel
December 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I don't see any need to trim, either. :)

Fantak
December 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Your hair looks lovely! I vote for no trimming until April too! To be honest I actually think you could get away with not trimming until you've got to TBL and you can maintain when you get there. It shouldn't be long now!

Debra83
December 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Looks great!!! I don't see a need for a trim.

Albrun
December 30th, 2008, 02:24 AM
dont trim, your hair is gorgeous as it is. the layers look good. if you didnt mention them, i wouldnt remark them.

Albrun

Ryanne
December 30th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I agree with not trimming. The V shape is pretty.

Katze
December 30th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I think you have a great v-shape hemline going on and I wouldn't change a thing! Cutting 2 inches won't improve the health of your hair unless the ends are damaged. It will put you 2" closer to being layer free, which is your goal. But you also mentioned that you wanted to go a year without trimming. That is a worthy goal as well, so I vote not to trim. If you are the type who likes to trim often, until your hair is perfect, then gaining length could take a long time. So I recommend waiting until the 1 year mark, then reevaluating how much needs to be trimmed. It's better to set a date and stick with it than to get carried away with trimming more often than necessary.

I agree. Your hemline is thick, and looks healthy. If you want it straight, that would be the only reason to trim.

Otherwise your hair looks lovely! I hardly see layers at all, and I tend to spot them right away, since I hate mine... :D

AngelInDisguise
December 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Just another one for not trimming - unless you want to get rid of the V-shape (which I think looks really lovely on your hair).

If your ends are healthy just forget about any outside pressure. There is no need to trim!

rags
December 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Don't give in to the pressure! I think your hair is very lovely as it is, and you can always decide in April whether any needs to come off. However, since you say the ends are healthy, I wouldn't touch it! You have beautiful hair!

Darkhorse1
December 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
The question should be : Do you want to cut it? If not, then don't. If you want the ends to be a bit blunter, I'd suggest just a 1/4 inch trim or less. Your hair should look blunter without taking off 2 inches. I'd fear they'd cut your hair far more to even the hemline, which might take it up to BSL. Since you are very tall/long torsoed, your hair will 'appear' shorter than it is, just because of your length. Meaning, my hair at 31inches is hip length for me. For you, that'd probably be mid-back ;)

So, if you want an even hemline, be prepared for it to look shorter than it is. If you like how it looks, I'd say gag those peer pressure peeps with your hair :D ;)