PDA

View Full Version : Sudden frizz and tangles

Gothic Lolita
March 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Normally my hair is really silky and shiny. But today it's just a mess! I washed them with a normal sulfate shampoo, usually I use a herbal one. I just wash from time to time with a normal to prevent build up.

Now my hair is drying and looks awful. It doesn't shine, it is frizzy (I never have frizz) and the worst tangles I can image.

Has anyone experienced such a sudden increase of frizz and tangling? Will it be back to normal tomorrow? I'm a bit scared.......:(

lora410
March 26th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I think you already found the problem; the sulfate shampoo. I think you hair just really dislikes it. Try adding a little baking soda to your herbal shampoo to remove buildup. As for right now I would do a heavy moisture treatment.

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Baking soda can be really harsh, even more harsh than a sulfate shampoo. It made my hair matt down like felt. I think a moisture treatment would be a good idea.

Katze
March 26th, 2008, 08:27 AM
It sounds to me like too little moisture. Either wait a day or two, or maybe, even better, mist or LIGHTLY oil your hair.

Mine gets like that either when it's not clean enough (not enough shampoo) or when it's too clean (not enough moisture). The frizz makes me think it is not hydrated enough.

Lately if I want really clean hair I wash with a sulfate shampoo, sometimes condition then wash, then oil the length when it's still wet. Very often I leave the conditioner out entirely but try to remember to oil my hair when it's wet and mist when it's dry.

hth!

BotticelliBabe
March 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
As a curly girl who is constantly battling dryness, frizz, and tangling so bad it can actually mat up like felt, I highly recommend four things.

1. No more sulfate poo!
2. Lots and lots of moisturizing conditioner (including a good leave-in)
3. A vinegar rinse, to seal the cuticle (about 1 tbsp in a cup of water - increase proportions if your hair is crazy long and/or crazy thick)
4. A big Goody Ouchless paddle brush. Without this, my tangles would be murder to get out, and I don't lose much hair to breakage this way, either.

Good luck!